Non deductable tIRA contribution rules

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jack FFR1846

Non deductable tIRA contribution rules

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:26 am

I have read the wiki and irs pubs and have only figured out that if I can make a contribution, I would use form 8606 to report this.

Here is my situation: I have a son in college who is doing extremely well. He has figured out that he is far more serious and dilligent than his classmates and is considering transferring next year to a much more focused (better) school. Since he currently has a 4 year merit scholarship, if we assume zero aid, the cos will jump from about $30k a year to $60k a year. We have put money into iBonds for many years and that is a fafsa problem for us. $350k in savings bonds is great for liquidity and guaranteed interest, but it kills our chances for aid.

Looking constantly at ways to convert this money into retirement accounts, I contribute $23k to my 401k and $6500 to a roth and my sahm wife puts $6500 into a tIra

I ran across the possibility to put non deductable money into a tIRA but don't know if I qualify or what the limits are. My goal would be to convert my iBonds into tIRA contributions. The money then is retirement account money instead of a countable asset. I do understand that the interest collected on the bond sale will increase my income and that I would pay tax on that.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

NightFall

Re: Non deductable tIRA contribution rules

Post by NightFall » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:33 am

My understanding is that the non-deductible contribution, deductible contribution, and ROTH contribution are subject to a total limit of $5500 (or in your case $6500). The non-deductible contribution is really only useful if you exceed the ROTH contribution income limits in my opinion.