Vanguard Turbo Tax prices anounced

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
micamica

Re: Vanguard Turbo Tax prices anounced

Post by micamica » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:40 pm

For those who need TT Home & Business desktop download (as I do): if you're not eligible for the Flagship/AM price, you could just buy direct from Amazon, it's the same as the Vanguard price. If you are eligible for the Flagship/AM price, then the cheapest way to get H&B is to (1) buy Premier at $9.99; (2) upgrade from inside TT, which will cost you an additional $10, since that's the list price difference. I did it this way last year, and based on my reading of Intuit's upgrade pricing, this should still work this year. (By doing intensive computations, I've determined that $19.99 is less than $79.99.)

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:05 pm

It's absurd to call a tax filing product "Deluxe" and not include Schedule D.
Yes. I used free TaxAct last year and it had Schedule D.
All the Best, | Joe

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Turbotax appears to be ready via Vanguard. I just downloaded Premier for $9.99,

micamica

Post by micamica » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:11 pm

I downloaded Premier and upgraded to Home & Business for $10 more, so I can confirm that this method of buying H&B works. (I don't quite understand the H&B price shown on the Vanguard page -- why would one buy at that price?)

jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Be Wary!

I bought the TT 2014 Premier "desktop" edition a couple weeks ago when it first came out. And it has data entry bugs.

Specifically the Reporting of Capital Gains sheets are not working right now.
Last edited by jwillis77373 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:25 pm

macaroon wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:
John151 wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote: I am a Flagship client who must file Schedule D. Which version do I need?
As I understand it, you can use TurboTax Deluxe to prepare Schedule D, but only if you're willing to print a paper copy of your return and send it through the mail. If you want to e-file, you'll have to use TurboTax Premier.
My understanding (and I am more than happy to be wrong) is that is NOT true for the 2014 version. For 2014, Schedule D is unusable until you upgrade to Premier or higher -- even for manual entry. But I have decided to take my business to another product, so I can't confirm first hand.
John151 is correct. This was verified by Bob Meighan of TurboTax. You can prepare a Schedule D in Deluxe manually (the interview function is not there for Schedule D) but you cannot e-file it. To be able to e-file a Schedule D, you must have Premier.
Does the ability to manually file a Schedule D extend to the online version of Deluxe as well? As I understand it, forms view isn't available in the online version, so just wondering if I'll have to upgrade to Premier no matter what.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:54 pm

i don't remember using the interview version for schedule D in the Deluxe version which is what we always use. you enter your broker's statement in the interview mode, your cost basis, and the system automatically makes a schedule D. the cap loss carryover is also carried over to the new tax year. it is saved in your folder and you can pull up your schedule D whenever you want. we always print and mail out return so i don't know how the online function performs.

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 am

Is the premier version needed to fill out the Roth conversion paperwork? This is my first time converting a traditional IRA to Roth.

Tex

Post by Tex » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:08 am

It may be just me, but I used the Vanguard link to buy/download the desktop version of premier for $9.99 for Flagship members. The online version showed 9.99, but the desktop version showed $0.00. That conflicts with the pricing on Vanguards page. I PDFd the order confirmation and it indeed shows $0.00 and the file I downloaded is the installation file for premier. Odd, but I'll talk it.

harryw

Post by harryw » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Confirmed; I was able to download the Premier desktop for free as well as a flagship member.

edit: please read as "for free, being a flagship member", since I did not download a flagship member.
Last edited by harryw on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sddiehard

Post by sddiehard » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Yes, it looks like the Vanguard web site now reflects for Flagship - Premier Desktop download version "Complementary (State included)". The Online version is still $9.99. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152326&start=50

Tex and harryw, thanks for noticing this.

Paul

gd

Post by gd » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:06 pm

I got it on 12/15 and was charged 9.99 + tax. Intuit maintains their reputation for worst-in-class marketing. If you don't have a good reason for needing TurboTax, go elsewhere.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 pm

By the way, if anyone finds a way to get a refund for having paid for what is now free, let us know.

I would hope Vanguard understands that this reflects badly on them, but hey, maybe that's how Vanguarding (r) works now.

GloballyYours

Post by GloballyYours » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Flagship? How does one get Flagship?

Tex

Post by Tex » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:04 pm

GloballyYours wrote:Flagship? How does one get Flagship?
1,000,000 of qualifying assets at Vanguard

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:10 am

gd wrote:By the way, if anyone finds a way to get a refund for having paid for what is now free, let us know.
+1

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:28 am

Does anyone understand the online pricing model for Turbo Tax? The Vanguard website indicates that online prices will increase on January 9. It also states that the price of the online version is set at time of print or e-file. However, the IRS will not be accepting returns until January 20 (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-sets-da ... ng-season/). So how can you pay for the online version without being able to file yet?

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:33 am

I use the on line version. What is the difference between on line and desktop - is it only that on line allows you to file electronically and desktop does not? Thanks

tfb

Post by tfb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Carl53 wrote:
gd wrote:By the way, if anyone finds a way to get a refund for having paid for what is now free, let us know.
+1
Try the TurboTax refund request form?

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/for ... equest.jsp
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Tex

Post by Tex » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:I use the on line version. What is the difference between on line and desktop - is it only that on line allows you to file electronically and desktop does not? Thanks
Both versions are e-file capable. Both versions have the same functionality. The difference is where your personal data is stored with respect to Intuits servers. Online means your SSN and tax data is on their servers. Desktop means that data is stored on your desktop and not their servers. However, if you e-File, obviously your data is transmitted through Intuit to the Service.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:I use the on line version. What is the difference between on line and desktop - is it only that on line allows you to file electronically and desktop does not? Thanks
The desktop version provides a "forms mode" in addition to the guided interview mode provided by both products. With the desktop version, at any point in the interview mode you can "switch to forms mode", and the most relevant worksheet or form will be opened. From there, you can click on values on the form or worksheet, and the underlying form or worksheet that was used to calculate the value will open. This provides a very convenient way to see how the forms and worksheets are being filled out, which not only is educational but sometimes can be useful in tracking down data entry errors. You also can enter or correct data directly on worksheets and forms. I constantly switch between interview mode and forms mode while working on a return.

The desktop version also allows you to do multiple tax returns. I do returns for my entire family (or they use my copy to do their own returns), including Mom and a niece, so that comes to 7 returns. You can e-file 5 federal returns at no extra cost; I mail the two simplest returns. E-filing state returns costs extra, so I usually mail the state returns.

I work with the online version to remotely help a friend do his return. It is frustrating not to be able to switch to forms mode, but his return is pretty easy. Once you've paid, you can view PDFs of the forms and worksheets, but that's not nearly as easy or useful. The tax file generated with the online version can be downloaded and opened in the desktop version, which provides a workaround if I want to review his return in forms mode.

So the online version is convenient if you want to work from multiple computers/locations, and if you don't want/need the capabilities of the desktop version. A workaround with the desktop version is to use cloud-based storage like Google Drive or Dropbox to share the tax file between multiple computers.

The desktop version requires a computer with a "big" operating system, like Windows, whereas you could use the online version from something like a Chromebook, since no software must be installed. The only thing I even need a Windows PC for anymore is the desktop version of Turbotax, so if the online version provided forms mode and multiple returns at no extra cost I probably would use it.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:29 pm

If you require the Premier desktop version (there are multiple returns in my household that must be filed), the cheapest I've seen it is $54.99 at Amazon for Prime members (I'm merely Voyager at Vanguard).

gd

Post by gd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:17 am

tfb wrote:
Carl53 wrote:

Well, there's an idea. Worth a try, thanks. A curious online form-- the text entry boxes clipped half the text I entered in my Firefox browser. Funny, the form to pay didn't do that...

IPer

Post by IPer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:29 am

gd wrote:
tfb wrote:
Carl53 wrote:

Well, there's an idea. Worth a try, thanks. A curious online form-- the text entry boxes clipped half the text I entered in my Firefox browser. Funny, the form to pay didn't do that...
Intuit has refunded me on several occasions because I said, basically, that I didn't think they should be charging me for the upgrade or whatever. No questions were asked. A few years ago they gave me Quicken Home & Business free, this year they refunded me on the upgrade as I contended it was NOT an upgrade, at least not over last year. Not sure why they do this, however, they do, and they are still quite financially strong, enviable in fact! ;)
Read the Wiki Wiki !

IPer

Post by IPer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 am

ps in case anyone thinks I am a freeloader I usually purchase TT Business and/or a personal, this year might be Business plus Premier unless I can do the personal return in Business as well, anyone know the answer to this?
Read the Wiki Wiki !

Kircheis

Post by Kircheis » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:03 pm

pyld76 wrote:If you require the Premier desktop version (there are multiple returns in my household that must be filed), the cheapest I've seen it is $54.99 at Amazon for Prime members (I'm merely Voyager at Vanguard).
I just got a copy of premier at Costco for $54.99 (it's on sale). I am not flagship at Vanguard either...

Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 pm

Also not Flagship here...I can get Premier for $39.99 (no state income tax) through my Credit Union until mid-February. Love my Credit Union...

powersmo

Post by powersmo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:16 pm

My wife decided she wanted a part-time seasonal job and went to work with H and R Block. She works about 3 days a week and does our taxes herself. Made about $10k last tax season and we got our taxes done for free. I got to watch her and drink beer. Best of both worlds. HaHaHa.

plats

Post by plats » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:20 am

tfb wrote:Try the TurboTax refund request form?

I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks for the link. Never would have thought of it. And best of all, I got my $9.99 back!

jonathan2001

Post by jonathan2001 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:06 pm

I purchased the Premier version for $9.99 a few weeks ago, and didn't realize the price had dropped until I received a proactive email from Intuit a few minutes ago indicating that the Flagship price was reduced and that I would automatically receive a refund...

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:09 pm

Me too! Just got the "we're refunding your $9.99" email. Nice

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:08 pm

jonathan2001 wrote:<snip>I received a proactive email from Intuit a few minutes ago indicating that the Flagship price was reduced and that I would automatically receive a refund...
Wow, very cool! I submitted the refund request, and just searched my email and found the "Your refund has been processed" confirmation (in the "Promotions" tab of Google Mail, which I almost never look at).

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

magellan

Post by magellan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm

micamica wrote:If you are eligible for the Flagship/AM price, then the cheapest way to get H&B is to (1) buy Premier at $9.99; (2) upgrade from inside TT, which will cost you an additional $10, since that's the list price difference.
I can confirm that this works. I just upgraded my TT Premium desktop to H&B from within the program for $10. There's nothing extra to download. You login to your intuit account from within TT, follow an upgrade wizard that asks for your intuit id and a credit card and the program changes from Premier to Home and Business.

The only snag is that only Premier is available for me to download in my Intuit account. I can't figure out how I'd get H&B functionality back if my computer crashes and I have to reinstall the program. My Intuit account shows Premier in the download list, but there are no 'Unlocks' available. I was logged into my intuit account when I did the upgrade but it doesn't look like the upgrade got linked to my intuit account.

I did get an emailed receipt for the H&B upgrade, so I guess if I ever have to reinstall the program, I can call them to get the H&B upgrade activated. Still, not very satisfying or confidence inspiring.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:21 am

Also got email that they will credit my credit card for $9.99 in a few business cycles. Wishing I hadn't used a one-time temporaryCC number that expired in 2 months...

SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:43 am

GD

I recvd the same mssg but my acct was credited within 3 days.
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:08 am

Costco has cheaper, $55 for premier if u buy before month end.

SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:13 am

sksbog wrote:Costco has cheaper, $55 for premier if u buy before month end.
Cost is zero for VG Flagship clients ...
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)

quondad

Post by quondad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:02 pm

I need Schedule C, which requires TT Home & Business. As a Vanguard Flagship client, I "purchased" the download version of TT Premier for free and was then offered to upgrade to Home & Business for $10 from Intuit when I tried to enter Sch C info. Originally, I was going to switch to TaxAct because of the TurboTax price increases for the self-employed this year. But, since I was able to get Home & Business for $10, I guess I'll stick with TT for another year. I did this today (1/26/15) and am not sure if Intuit will close this apparent "loophole."

quondad

Post by quondad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Just a heads up that, as a Vanguard Flagship client, I was able to download the desktop version of TT Premier for free and then upgrade through Intuit for $10 to Home & Business when I tried entering Schedule C info. Originally, I was going to switch to TaxAct this year because of the TT price increases. But, for $10, I'll use TT Home & Business this year. I did this today, 1/26/15. Not sure if Intuit will close this "loophole" or not.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:42 pm

CABob wrote:TaxAct here I come.
:annoyed
+1 :beer

Unfortunately, I'm not a Vanguard Flagship client, so I can't get the associated TurboTax discount.

I used TaxACT for many years, then switched to TurboTax for the convenience of importing tax/investment documents.

In the past, I was willing to pay a little more for that convenience, but TurboTax has now surpassed that price point, in my perception.

TaxACT does have limited importing capabilities, but not for the companies I use (Scottrade, TIAA-CREF, and Vanguard). However, I'll gladly enter my tax forms into TaxACT manually rather than pay the hefty TurboTax price.

So, hello again TaxACT and so long TurboTax! Good luck Intuit!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

diytrying

Post by diytrying » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:30 pm

If anybody is still monitoring this topic (or I'm the only one who hasn't done their taxes?), can you clear up the TT pricing for me? I have 3 Federal and four -2 different states- State Returns. I'm Flagship and downloaded Federal (seems to have automatically downloaded 1 state). I read that I can efile 5 Federal and 1 State so that's no issue. I thought I read that TT wanted to charge for preparation and filing of state returns. Yet when I look at the costs for online state returns, looks like that is now free. As I'm working on Federal returns, TT keeps filling in State info. At what point will TT charge me, when I try to print? If I decide to go online, can I just do state returns? I guess you think I am cheap but 39.99 (which was what was displayed when I went to efile one of the returns) X 3 is pretty steep , especially since one is a 1040EZ return.

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:59 pm

diytrying wrote:If anybody is still monitoring this topic (or I'm the only one who hasn't done their taxes?), can you clear up the TT pricing for me? I have 3 Federal and four -2 different states- State Returns. I'm Flagship and downloaded Federal (seems to have automatically downloaded 1 state). I read that I can efile 5 Federal and 1 State so that's no issue. I thought I read that TT wanted to charge for preparation and filing of state returns. Yet when I look at the costs for online state returns, looks like that is now free. As I'm working on Federal returns, TT keeps filling in State info. At what point will TT charge me, when I try to print? If I decide to go online, can I just do state returns? I guess you think I am cheap but 39.99 (which was what was displayed when I went to efile one of the returns) X 3 is pretty steep , especially since one is a 1040EZ return.
Don't e-file state. Just print and mail. Your current download will work for all federal plus state A. You can pay $39.99 one-time to add state B. That's it. If you really want to be cheap I believe you can install the same download on a different computer and use it for federal plus state B. That's assuming no single person needs both state A and state B.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

diytrying

Post by diytrying » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am

Tfb, thank you very much for clairfying the pricing. The same person does need state A and B, but I believe I can muddle through on paper for State B, even though it is NY:)