What to prepare for first baby due next month?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
webenterpreneur

What to prepare for first baby due next month?

Post by webenterpreneur » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:13 pm

The best gift we can give our first baby is the gift of time and love.

We have one more month until she is due, and we want to make the most out of the next month to prepare for this.

What are things we should do in advance to prepare for the baby, so that we are not busy when the baby comes.

Here is my current completion list. Please let me know what else I have missed out on.

Take birthing class
Read book "What to Expect on the First Year"
Buy all baby gear (stroller, crib, bassinet, diapers, etc)
Medical Insurance for Baby
Find a Pediatrician
Prepare hospital bag and birthing plan
Church Baptism Schedule
Inquire on Inquire on baby classes (Gymboree, nursery, music classes)
Look for a support group with parents of newborns

Jack FFR1846

Re: What to prepare for first baby due next month?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Find all the dictionaries in the house and scratch the word "sleep" from it.

Do you have maternity/paternity leave plans? With our first, my wife took company maternity, then vacation and finally fmla. Then she went back to work and I took 12 weeks of fmla. Best thing I ever did.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

neutics

Post by neutics » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Since I'm the second to respond I'll state the obvious: open a 529. You can change the beneficiary once she is born.

Also, take time to do things you will likely not be doing once the baby arrives i.e. go to movies, a decent restaurant, mountain biking, etc.

My mother and wife stockpiled frozen meals to last at least a week. They cooked like crazy for a whole weekend and it was well worth it after our 'help' left and we were too tired to cook.

Congrats

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Er, think your list is a bit out of order.

For ex: Before you can get her on health insurance she will have to have a SS #. So you need to find out how to apply for that. Some hospitals furnish a very comprehensive "newborn" kit for new mothers, you need to find out what comes with it.

Lining up Jimboree classes, music ? Not a big priority, plenty of time later for that.

With a birth coming in December, where do you live? If you are in the Snow Belt, you have to have a backup plan in place in case your road is impassable when she goes into labor. (# of local rescue squad, EMS, neighbor with a 4X drive vehicle, etc. )

If you can afford it, add to your list some hired help to come in for at least 1-2 weeks starting with the day after she gets home from hospital. Your wife will need help! Preparing meals, laundry, light housekeeping, running errands (like to pharmacy for all the things you forgot)

Unless, that is, you as father will be taking family leave and will be home 24/7 to take care of these things. (? ? ? )

Also, not to scare you, but you need to be prepared in case your wife requires a C-section instead of regular delivery. Sometimes it is not always possible to predict how labor is going to proceed, the fetal heart rate, etc. So you need to go over your lists and check them twice. If she has a C-section, having help at home will be an absolute necessity, whether you can afford it or not.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:38 pm

We have a 8 month old. Pure joy but the lack of sleep is no joke 8-) .

I would do a once over on your finances. What bills will be coming due in the next few months; do you have bills you might pay electronically that could be forgotten. Are there any financial decisions you are considering that you might want to do like switch auto insurance etc? I forgot to do a small rollover for a few months. Started planning in February, baby came in March, picked it up again in September.

As for buying things like diapers, I would get a starter supply and then see how it goes. We were happy Target diapers at first (me with the cost) and then let's say their performance started to stink. :mrgreen: There would have been no point in having a huge stockpile of excess diapers.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Good point. Also, some babies require cloth diapers as their skin is so sensitive to the materials in Pampers and the other disposables.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Get adequate life insurance for you and your partner...
Last edited by DTSC on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Congrats:

Set up baby crib area so that baby will be ready to settle in. Setup trash can, wipes and diaper around the changing area, because you will need to do that a lot. Get diaper cream, since baby will likely need it. Make sure you have ample supply of diapers, wipes and baby clothes. Even if you plan to breast fed, get some formula just in case it doesn't work out.

Get your car seat ready and installed. Stock up on some frozens since you may not have time to cook. In fact, enjoy life now because once the baby is born, you won't have the time. After the baby arrives, sleep while you can.

Try not to go crazy with the baby for the first month or so. You want to avoid infection. My friend at work had a sick baby in the first month and had to be spinal tapped.

If your employer offer paid leave, contact them now and set it up. My company offered it, but you have to informed them on the same day it happen or they won't backdated it. You will want to make sure you contact them during a break.

Paul

The529guy

Post by The529guy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

webentrepreneur wrote:Take birthing class - immediately
Buy all baby gear (stroller, crib, bassinet, diapers, etc) - check extended family for hand-me-downs (if possible)
Medical Insurance for Baby - if deciding between two parents' plans, perform analysis
Find a Pediatrician
Church Baptism Schedule
Inquire on Inquire on baby classes (Gymboree, nursery, music classes) - lower priority, unless you mean daycare waiting list
drawpoker wrote:For ex: Before you can get her on health insurance she will have to have a SS #. So you need to find out how to apply for that. Some hospitals furnish a very comprehensive "newborn" kit for new mothers, you need to find out what comes with it.
The hospital staff may be able to submit the SSN application for you. We were advised we'd get the SSN via postal mail in 6 weeks.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Take a breastfeeding class
Look into mommy and and me swimming classes
Child and Infant CPR classes
Preschool admission pre-registration The wait time could be many years
Baby Mozart CD. Playing it in the car. Find it cheap on Half.com
Buy an ear thermometer. Very useful.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Line up a breast pump. For us having even one bottle prepared meant mom could sleep solidly from around 11pm to 6am, while dad did the overnight feed. We were able to rent a breast pump from a volunteer organization promoting breast feeding, so we could use a nicer pump with an electric motor without it costing too much.
Regards, | | Guy

JustMe

Post by JustMe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:30 pm

drawpoker wrote:For ex: Before you can get her on health insurance she will have to have a SS #.
You can add a newborn to your insurance without a SSN, but will need to call back and provide a SSN within a certain period, e.g. 90 or 180 days. If you waited until you received the SSN you'd likely be outside the permitted "life event" change window.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm

goodenyou wrote:Baby Mozart Led Zeppelin CD. Playing it in the car everywhere.
Relax. Go with the flow.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Select a pediatrician before the baby is born. If there are complications, pediatric medical care may be needed immediately. In addition to life insurance, revise your wills to name someone to care for your children if you are not around. See an attorney to arrange a trust to manage life insurance proceeds and the rest of your estate for the benefit if your children if the worst should happen.

nukewerker

Post by nukewerker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 pm

Don't worry about putting them on insurance ahead of time. They give you a window to add them once they are born. As far as buying stuff, birthing class, etc.; it should already be done. Your baby can come any day now due to a number of reasons. Here is a tip-don't buy a bunch of newborn diapers, our first son who was 7lbs and change fit in them for a week or so. Even our premie twins wore them for maybe a month, although they started in premie diapers. Oh and go with the flow. I guarantee any plan you put together will end up being half wrong or at least vastly different than what ends up happening. Looks up the "Five S's" Shushing, swaddling, swinging, side and sucking. But they are golden; no such thing as a colicky baby. Good Luck its fun. After having twins a singleton would seem like a breeze. You'll learn a ton on the first. More than anyone can write in a book.
Last edited by nukewerker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

generalzodschicken

Post by generalzodschicken » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Aspirin.
Vodka.
Quaaludes.

Frugal Disciple

Post by Frugal Disciple » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Congratulations!

DW and I just had our first child about 3 months ago. The things you mentioned are all great to have checked off and there are a lot of great recommendations. One thing I would do is educate yourself on vaccinations prior to the baby being born. Talk it over with your wife and have a plan that both of you agree on. There is one vaccination that our hospital offered right after our daughter was born, but we already had our vaccination plan laid out so we declined knowing that we wanted to wait for our pediatrician for that particular one. Luckily my wife is a nurse, so she does most of the leg work in all medical areas allowing me to focus on the finances.

There is so much to think about, but try not to get overwhelmed. Enjoy every minute, because children truly are a blessing.
**Insert witty and/or insightful quote here**

kate1234

Post by kate1234 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Get a good camera.

Some folks also hire a professional baby-portrait photographer. If you don't have the money, the way the photographers get those so-peaceful pictures is they drape the background fabric or rug over the parent's body and put the baby on top of that - the baby gets the warmth and breathing of their parent and is a better photo subject.

powermega

Post by powermega » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Parents should be trying to get as much sleep as possible. Once you're a parent, you can say goodbye to quality sleep. If you want a book recommendation, get "On Becoming Babywise". My wife and I literally clung to that book at times. You need to have a pediatrician lined up before birth, and hopefully you have already met him/her. You will want that pediatrician to be able to examine your baby and give the discharge order. I would also stock up on food that is really easy to make; stuff that can be cooked in the microwave or oven easily. If you are planning on breastfeeding, you must have a breast pump ready to go.

Good luck, and congratulations!
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

The529guy

Post by The529guy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:56 pm

asset_chaos wrote:Line up a breast pump. For us having even one bottle prepared meant mom could sleep solidly from around 11pm to 6am, while dad did the overnight feed. We were able to rent a breast pump from a volunteer organization promoting breast feeding, so we could use a nicer pump with an electric motor without it costing too much.
Call the mother's health insurance company. Affordable Care Act requires that insurers cover breast pumps.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Have a 2 yr. old and my wife and me are both physicians and we both will EASILY admit being a first time parent is MUCH harder then any year of education or residency training we have had.

Here are some thoughts of the top of my head:

The best thing you can do is get A LOT of sleep and rest before the delivery, because once it is there it is 0 to 100mph in a blink of an eye!

Figure out who will be helping you during the first 6 months. If any parents or relatives are helping out it is MUCH easier as they are an extra pair of hands AND have experience (they raised you so they can't be that bad!!).

If no help is on the way then figure out who will be helping out after maternity leave expires, i.e. nanny vs. daycare. Of course, run the numbers and figure out how to afford either if you need it.

If no help then start discussing with the spouse how you guys will be divvying up the workload. At the beginning my wife and I made the mistake of trying to do everything together as we felt guilty not being there for every moment. Things got a lot better when we started doing shift work. I cover from x to y time and then my wife from y to z time and then repeat over and over and over and... :D

I thought the key to the first 6 months was: 1. Getting a strict schedule and sticking to it so the baby gets used to what is going on. 2. I used a mnemonic that is investing based to help me figure out why she would be crying: TIPS: Temp (either too cold or too hot), Incontinence (soiled diaper), Pain (hurt itself), and starving or sleepy.

Agree with getting the Peds person figured out as that is not something you want to be dealing with later on. Reminder and CALL to make sure your dream peds doc. is accepting new patients.

Insurance will depend on if you have maternity coverage on your policy. I believe it is usually law that you get maternity coverage as long as you are with an employer for 1 yr. if it is group policy. If you have individual policy then check what the story is.

The most important as I was telling my next door neighbor as they had their first is no matter how bad it is it only gets better over time and yes in some odd way my wife and I both miss our little one in the baby phase so hopefully you will be able to enjoy some of it.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:22 pm

[quote="Frugal Disciple"]Congratulations!
One thing I would do is educate yourself on vaccinations prior to the baby being born. Talk it over with your wife and have a plan that both of you agree on. There is one vaccination that our hospital offered right after our daughter was born, but we already had our vaccination plan laid out so we declined knowing that we wanted to wait for our pediatrician for that particular one. quote]

Respectfully, what is a vaccination plan? We do what is required by law and recommended by doc.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm

You haven't already enrolled your fetus in the pre pre pre pre pre pre Harvard fetal day care and bribe treadmill?
BAD PARENTS
When your baby at 6 months fails the entrance exam to the pre pre pre pre pre Harvard Baby day care you will wish that you had
paid the prenatal fees instead of worrying about your retirement plan
Everyone knows that if your don't get into the pre pre pre pre Harvard child care your offspring is doomed to a life of burger flipping !!

FACE IT YOU ARE BAD PARENTS ALREADY !!!!!!

:happy :D :) Have a fun wonderful baby and ignore this type of crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Act like you only have 2 weeks.

Mrs. Nanoanalyzer and Nanoanalyzer Jr. were 15 days early. It was not fun to run to the store for birth supplies while she was starting contractions at 4 minute intervals. I got back an hour later and found her in bed at 3 minute intervals, about ready to vomit. :shock:
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Do everything you can do now, because soon you wouldn't have time to do any thing else
The market goes up, the market goes down.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Can you stockpile sleep? You can't? Well there goes my suggestion. :D

Re: vaccinations. There is a lot of misinformation out there about vaccinations. Trust your pediatrician before random people on the Internet. Not vaccinating your child is a terrible decision that not only puts your child at risk, but also others in you community, especially immunocompromised people like the elderly. Vaccinating them according to an alternative schedule is risky because the alternative schedule may not have been studied to ensure its effectiveness. A baby isn't going to remember getting shots anyway; might as well do what doctors have the most experience with.

Frugal Disciple

Post by Frugal Disciple » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Respectfully, what is a vaccination plan? We do what is required by law and recommended by doc.
There are no federal laws regarding vaccines. Most states have vaccination requirements for public schools, but not laws stating you have to get specific ones. Currently we are not planning to send our daughter to public schools so we can dictate what that schedule looks like. Since my wife is a healthcare professional and is exposed to things many are not, that looks different than what the typical schedule may look like. Also, there are a couple that we decided against based on research that we did. There are laws protecting pharmaceutical companies from being sued for adverse reactions to most vaccines, so we like to understand them before agreeing to them.
**Insert witty and/or insightful quote here**

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:07 pm

If breastfeeding is planned, I second finding out which durable medical equipment supplier is covered by your insurer and getting a pump ahead of time. Also find out which, if any, lactation consultants are covered by insurance. If there are out of pocket expenses for lactation-related things they usually qualify for FSAs

As far as books/educational materials, the DVD for "Happiest Baby on the Block" (the 5 S's: swaddle, side position, shush, swing, suck) is available through Netflix if you have that option, and it's quicker than reading the book. Also recommend reading "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child".

rob

Post by rob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:26 pm

generalzodschicken wrote:Aspirin.
Vodka.
Quaaludes.
You really should not feed a newborn Vodka :mrgreen:
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 pm

Lots of great replies already.

One of the random pieces of advice I got that made a huge difference and I never would have thought of, is to wet some maxi pads and put them in the freezer laid flat (they come folded which is no good if they freeze folded!). These make perfect post delivery ice packs since they also absorb. As the person who told me pointed out, they can be used down below or on tender breasts. Childbirthing and breast feeding are tender business in an ouchy stingy way.

Our rule was that whoever was holding the baby could ask the other for food, water, whatever.

Great comment about taking turns instead of trying to do everything together.

When you are out and about there is no need to haul a huge diaper bag. We always left diapers and changes of clothes in the car and would just go back if we needed it. You will really appreciate when you no longer need to keep whole sets of changes of clothes with you at all times (for the baby :))

Put the infant seat in the car before you are on the way to the hospital. Those things are tough to put in!

As far as your list:
Take birthing class
(Yes. Learn pain coping techniques even if planning an epidural. There is no such thing as a pain free birth. DO this asap. A month to go means any day-6weeks to go))
(Don't bother, you have a year to read it. It will be a useful reference over the next year when you want to see if your baby is normal or above average : )
Buy all baby gear (stroller, crib, bassinet, diapers, etc)
(You need MUCH less than you think, repeat that. You can always buy things you realize you wish you had later)
Medical Insurance for Baby
(Yes find out what you need to add the baby)
Find a Pediatrician
(The hospital will be sure you have a follow up appointment with someone before you are discharged)
(Yes, include snacks and changes of clothes. A birth plan is really a wish list, it is not set in stone)
Church Baptism Schedule
(Yes so you do not miss any important deadlines. I have no experience with this)
Inquire on Inquire on baby classes (Gymboree, nursery, music classes)
(I wouldn't bother with this, at least not for a few years, and even then, I didn't)
(You will hopefully meet some folks expecting at the same time at your childbirth class. You may also find resources online so parents can communicate virtually at the random times they have free time)

Sleep in every morning you can. Be super nice to your wife.

You will get lots of conflicting advice about your baby and your parenting choices. As a parent (with the other parent), you get to make the decisions which means not following all of the contradictory "helpful" suggestions you will get.

When I felt most desperate and incompetent, it helped to remind myself that if 15 year old single moms with no credit cards or car can raise a baby, I can too. It is the best experience ever, but also one of the hardest ever. Way harder than becoming and being a doctor!

The days are long and the years are fast.
Best wishes!
lafder

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Rather than focusing on the baby too much make the most of the time you have left with your spouse. Things will be dramatically different once baby is here.

Also remember for both you to prioritize each other over the baby both now and later. Marriage comes first, kids come second. Kids are just passing through, your spouse is your life partner (unless you do something stupid like focus too much on the kid, turn into roommates and destroy your relationship). People think it wont happen to them until it does, make sure you continue to date each other and have a plan in place to get away from baby at least twice a month for dates (once a week is even better). Kids are massive consumers of emotion, time and energy that your relationship is used to getting.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the baby stuff, take your wife on some dates and get the couple time in :).
Last edited by Quickfoot on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:20 am

Great lists guys. Not much to add, and might have mentioned this already but:

1. Pick a name, they hound you for this and much easier to have it already decided.

2. Get a good snot sucker - we got the european you suck out the snot thingy and it is great. Babies have a hard time sleeping with a stuffy nose.

You seem really prepared! Congrats and good luck.

WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 am

If it is a boy, you and your wife should agree on your plans regarding circumcision.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:17 am

Get lots of sleep. Read the book "Babywise" so that you can start getting sleep again within a month or two of the birth.

Good luck (and congratulations),

JT

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:30 am

We have a 7 month old (our first)

Lots of great info mentioned already. Here are a few things I've found very helpful

Rectal thermometer. Cheap and more accurate than the scan type.
Nose Frida. Best thing we've found for sucking out snot. Just clean it often.
Socks. We inhereited more clothes than we could use, but had to buy extra socks.

Everyone is correct about sleep. Just remember there are good days and bad days.

There is an app on my wife's phone called "The Wonder Weeks"... Sounds gimmicky but so far it has helped us pinpoint the "cranky" days/weeks.

Also, one last little tip...our baby loves a change of scenery. If she seems unhappy, a walk outside does wonders.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 am

After we had our second kid, we realized we probably spent way too much time and energy preparing for the first kid. The best advice I'd give is to relax and realize that you're only going to learn how to be a parent by being a parent, not by reading books or what we post here. You're smart and resourceful (otherwise you wouldn't be on BH), and you'll find your own way. And maybe you'll get lucky and get one of those babies who sleeps well!

Seriously, with only a few weeks left, I second Quickfoot's advice about focusing on your spouse and finding ways to get in a few nice outings together. I'd also carve out some "me" time for activities you enjoy doing. As much as it's hard to resist, I would not spend these last few weeks planning for situations that you'll best resolve once your child is born.
DTSC wrote:Get adequate life insurance for you and your partner...
I would do this if you haven't already.

Congrats!

redriver

Post by redriver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 am

Congratulation!

You're really going to need some soothing music for the baby. I recommend http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com they have some very popular music. My personal favorite is the AC/DC album. :o

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:13 am

Congrats, our little one is 8 months old.

One thing we focused on before arrival was taking care of house projects/cleaning that we kept putting off. We knew we weren't going to have time after. So we cleaned up drawers and closets, etc that hadn't been touched since we moved in years ago.

We also tried to squeeze in activities that would decrease after, such as dining out at nice restaurants and going to movies.

camptalcott

Post by camptalcott » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Find all the dictionaries in the house and scratch the word "sleep" from it.

Do you have maternity/paternity leave plans? With our first, my wife took company maternity, then vacation and finally fmla. Then she went back to work and I took 12 weeks of fmla. Best thing I ever did.
LOL

Jack, I was going to say the same thing. I swear my first born was a vampire in another life. the kid absolutely refused to sleep through the night or take naps.
for the first 9 months I resembled one of the cast from the walking dead simply from sleep deprivation.

Op,

Congratulations.

Oh and whatever cash amount you think you need...double it.
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:07 am

TxAg wrote:

Hold off on the thermometer. Sometimes the hospital will send you out with a kit - such as nail clipper, thermometer, bulb syringe.

BTW, it's not unusual for a baby's fingertips to bleed the first time you trim it's nails. Don't feel about that.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 am

First let me say congratulations!

I did not read the other replies yet so forgive me if this was already mentioned.

I think you are taking the wrong approach and planning it out too much. Thinking back, my wife and I were dirt poor, did not have a clue and just started new jobs. I wouldn't change a thing. We made it work and loved those times. Let life happen naturally and let this time be spontaneous and live in the moment.

It's not like you wont' be able to do some of those things once the baby arrives.

The only two things I might add is don't be overly sensitive. Most new parents are a raw bundle of nerves and when it comes to their new baby are overly sensitive from what friends, in-laws and other says. Most of the comments are meant to help but due to being sleep deprived and learning how to take care of this new little person in your house who is not kind of enough to let you know when they need to go to the bathroom and when they want to have a screaming fit in the middle of the night is enough to make anyone a bit on the touchy side. Just relax and remember these days seem like they are taking forever but when I think back now they went in a blink of an eye. It's a great time in your life and don't plan it out to a point where you are not living in the moment.

Secondly, before the baby comes, see as many movies and go out to as many nice restaurants as you can. You won't be seeing those two places in a few years unless you are lucky enough to have help, but you might find you won't trust many people with your new baby and even if you do once you are out, you will be worrying how things are going. So like I said you won't be seeing the inside of a restaurant and a movie theater in a few years.

Oh sorry one more thing, start saving for college. I'm cash flowing my little bundle of joy's college education and I wish I could have saved more. LOL.

Good Luck and Relax!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

Plan now to rotate the duties of putting the child to bed every night and rotate the duties of getting up during the night to feed and change the child. They do get use to certain routines and in some cases will except no substitute in the night time go to sleep rituals.

No use in only one of you being a sleep deprived zombie during the day.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

AcademicPeds

Post by AcademicPeds » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:41 am

Amazon Prime. It is really nice to not have to leave the house for diapers, wipes, etc.

Also, not mentioned above - a swing, rocker, bouncer (we had plenty of help for about 2 weeks, then everyone left and baby wouldn't sleep without movement).

Button up onsies - easier to change diaper, just unbotton legs
Zip up onsies - easier to change outfit
Magnetic onsies - thought it was holy grail until realized it had to be air dried otherwise would stick to dryer wall.

Lots of freezer space for frozen meals gradually replaced by frozen breastmilk.

Don't worry about baby's room for months. Much easier to have crib, bassinet, or pack-n-play in your room for feeds/changes in the night. Also, set up clothes and diaper changing station in several rooms, unless very small house/apt.

Congratulations.

wolfeman

Post by wolfeman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:45 am

webenterpreneur wrote: Take birthing class - we went to an all day class through the hospital. it was worth it, especially for new parents
Read book "What to Expect on the First Year" - you've got time, I wouldn't worry about that right now
Buy all baby gear (stroller, crib, bassinet, diapers, etc) - yes, but you left out car seat, warm clothes. don't over do it on diapers
Medical Insurance for Baby- we couldn't sign up for this until after baby was born, SSN # and birth certificate required
Find a Pediatrician - yes
Prepare hospital bag and birthing plan - yes on hospital bag, but the birthing plan is probably not needed (just too many unknown variables)
Church Baptism Schedule - sure
Inquire on Inquire on baby classes (Gymboree, nursery, music classes)- for a newborn?
Look for a support group with parents of newborns- the hospital we used had a (free) support group for mothers who were nursing, you might inquire about that
We had our first baby in April, so just recently been through this. My thoughts on other things to do before the baby arrives:

daycare (if needed) many in our area are full and have waiting lists

life insurance

a name for the baby. if you are unsure, try to figure it out now. There will be a ton of paperwork at the hosiptal and it will all ask for the baby's name. It's easier if you know the name for certain.

do you plan on nursing or using formula? I would figure out how to use the breast pump (if you have one) or get all of the bottles out and washed, buy some formula, etc. We cleaned out a couple drawers in the kitchen to make room for all of that sort of stuff.

As mentioned earlier, I would line-up some people to help so you can get some sleep

I would not stock up too much on diapers. Our baby grew pretty fast and was out of newborns in no time. She's was in size 3 before she was 6 months old. You just never know what size they'll be and how fast or slow they'll grow.

I would try to get as many clothes as you can from relatives or second-hand. They outgrow them sooo fast. Don't spend a lot on newborn clothes.

breast feeding classes. The hospital we used also had lactation specalists. I would recommend consulting with them if this is your first.

+1 on go with the flow. You will now be on the baby's schedule, not yours. Things will not go as planned or how you imagined.

Have the diaper changing station ready to go and stocked, etc. You'll be using it immediately.

figure out how to use, adjust, and install the car seat ahead of time

I wished I had filmed the delivery.

+1 on Be super nice to your wife

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 am

TxAg wrote:We have a 7 month old (our first)

Lots of great info mentioned already. Here are a few things I've found very helpful
Socks. We inhereited more clothes than we could use, but had to buy extra socks.
We tried the Nose Frida, and it did not work at all on our kid. Instead, we found that the bulb nose-sucker thing form the hospital worked best, so we bought 4-5 of those and keep them stashed in different locations around the house and in the diaper bag.

hand

Post by hand » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:57 am

As already mentioned, take the birthing class ASAP.
Also get hospital planning, travel bag, transport and alternate transport organized NOW.

Babies don't always come on schedule.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:09 am

flyingbison wrote:
TxAg wrote:We have a 7 month old (our first)

We tried the Nose Frida, and it did not work at all on our kid. Instead, we found that the bulb nose-sucker thing form the hospital worked best, so we bought 4-5 of those and keep them stashed in different locations around the house and in the diaper bag.
Good idea on keeping several handy. Just goes to show how unique we are as humans.....Those bulbs don't work well for us at all.

One thing I should have mentioned....using the saline spray before sucking helps immensely.

homermtb

Post by homermtb » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:34 am

Congrats on the baby.

We have an 8 month old and plan on another soon... I'm going to assume that your working on the financial basics like staring a 529, making sure the baby has insurance, etc, so I'm going to weigh in on what we found most useful to keep us sane.

Newborns don't sleep like we do. They're often awake at night and sleep during the day. Be prepared to be exhausted. You will always hear about someone else's infant who sleeps 6 hours a night by week 3. Ignore them. Every baby is different, they may be exaggerating, or they'll have some problem later that you won't. Either way, it doesn't matter. Try to ignore the noise from other new parents. Forget about sleep training until month 4-5, then just do it.

We interviewed 7-10 nannies before picking one, and we had several come over and spend some time with us and the baby. Whether you plan on going with daycare or a nanny, get started early in your search. Craigslist can be a good resource to start with, if you do your homework, and speak with their references. Look for someone who loves babies, and keep in touch with their former charges. That tells you that they will care for your child as well. We also negotiated for them to help with cleaning and cooking. If you don't plan on having help, consider getting someone to come over to assist with cleaning occasionally. If you have anyone in your family willing to stay with you for a bit, that could be invaluable (especially if the father has to work soon after the birth.)

Vaccines. I don't want to get into a debate, but as a physician I can tell you that when an unvaccinated baby comes into our ED, we treat them extremely aggressively and assume the worst. So many illnesses are no longer a concern nowadays.

I was a bit paranoid, but I didn't let my newborn out of the house or near other kids for at least the first 4 weeks.

My wife enrolled in a mommy & me class when the baby was 3 months old which she loves. It gives her a chance to see that we're not the only ones struggling with issues like the baby not sleeping, not latching, etc.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Obtain Social Security number - hospitals usually notify Social Security administration, who in turn automatically send you the card, a few weeks after birth.

5-2-9 Plan, open one as soon as you get the social security number, the gains over time will amaze you and best of all, it is all tax-free (the earnings that is).

Don't buy whole life insurance on the baby - you are going to be bombarded with brochures and emails from Gerber Life insurance, amongst others, don't go for it.

As Jack already said, get your sleep now, the first 3 months are going to be very demanding of your time.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:12 pm

You will learn which of your friends are honest

Almost all of our friends kept telling us that as they get older, they get easier. LIES. A couple who are our best friends and have kids 4 years older than ours told us from the start that they do not get easier. Looking back, they were right. Infant years, terrible 2's.... Piece of cake. As a 175 pound man, I could pick up the most stubborn 2 year old and bring him to his room when he steadfastly refused. Hard to do with a mouthy teenager who outweighs me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid