Deleted

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
max12377

Re: "I've had it" at work - how often

Post by max12377 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:52 am

I started out my career as an Engineer. Hal way through my Masters Degree in Engineering I realized I didn't want to do it anymore. So I finished the MSEE and went back to school for my MBA. Half way through my MBA I decided it was boring as all heck and I didn't want to do it anymore. So I finished the MBA and went into IT. I am now a Project Mgr in Healthcare and I think I've found my niche. I am a reasonably OK Project Mgr but I think I can be a really good one. It's a challenge and it will take time. It's the challenge that keeps me fresh.

I spent very little on my education because most of it was done part time and paid for by my employers. If I had to do it all over again, I seriously might just get an English degree with a minor in Theater.

I think we all grow up and get fed ideas of what's practical. Then we find ourselves in careers and wonder why we chose them. But there's always a little voice inside us telling us what we really want to do. I think we just have to listen to it. Take time and write things down. Ask yourself the question, what do I like to do and then write a list. You will feel better almost immediately and probably start out doing something on the list when you're done. Something on that list will excite you and that's what you should do next.

I was working on my list the other day and thought about how cool it would be to make a short movie and put it on youtube. If I didn't sit down and make the list directly I probably would never have thought of that. That's just one example.

Just a suggestion for the days when you hate your job (BTW I've had many over the years!) Make a list of what you like to do. Try it.

Max

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:40 am

57 yo, administrator in a private research university. For the past 7+ years I have reported to a senior manager who is quite literally one of the most astonishingly awful bosses that everyone in our unit of over 100 people has ever experienced. He was finally forced to resign last May but unfathomably was then given a final year to remain in his position (only in academia). So now we are all suffering through a year in which he believes he has a mandate to do everything he couldn't get done by the time he has to leave next August.

Although I've always felt my job is a perfect fit for my education and expertise, and although I still love the core of what I do which is advising students, more and more I am simply tired of having my time committed to doing what I HAVE to do instead of what I WANT to do...so the desire to wake up every morning free to do whatever I want is something I now feel every single day. Am in the first steps of working with a financial planner not for investing but to determine whether we have enough resources that my husband and I really are financially ready to stop working. Our youngest just graduated from college and both she and her older brother are gainfully employed. We have no mortgage, no debts, a significant retirement account and double pensions so I suspect I could leave anytime.

What really keeps me at work is the worry about having nothing to get up FOR on those seemingly blissful free days. I cannot really fathom yet whether or not it's necessary to basically have some kind of retirement 'job' which seems to be the common wisdom. All the advice about the need to fill one's time with volunteer work, or a passionate hobby, or some other defined way to fill time...it's worrisome. That whole 'don't retire from, retire to' mantra. I frankly right now have zero desire to obligate myself to be somewhere on a regular basis to work for free. No passions/hobbies that will get me out of the house every day for hours at a time. I don't want to sit inside noodling on a computer, watching tv, reading books and missing having a life and social connections.

My husband also works at the same university, but he hates his job and finds no reward in it anymore at all. He does have a longtime volunteer commitment which will easily provide him with a rewarding and fulfilling outlet the day he retires.

Right now though we both have secure positions and both are paid well. I think we're looking at 3-5 years more and then we will be done.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:07 am

Almost every day.

I love the type of work I do.
Increasingly it is the people aspect that is attached to it that I hate.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:11 am

Age 64. Engineering for 41 years, till March, 2013.
Can't say I really had an I've Had It moment.
I worked all 41 years for same employer, though a few different divisions.
Thing with this type of engineering is: we would fluctuate over the years with too little work and too much work; but I dealt with that OK.

What happened in my case in later years was: I started taking more time off for personal trips, regardless of engineering program schedules. So I'd fall behind on some work compared to some of the eager beavers who were more work-focussed.
So that made it increasingly easy to cut loose and not deal with my declining interest in that work anymore...
Attempted new signature...

camptalcott

Post by camptalcott » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 am

letsgobobby wrote:How often do you come home from a day at work and say to yourself, 'That was bulls---. I don't need this in my life - I'm done."

Let me know your age/tenure, your field, and how often the above occurs.

If it is never, I'm envious. I assume most of us have this from time to time. I had one of those days yesterday, but I think it was exacerbated by the fact that I was treating several colleagues who were also so exasperated by the work, the work environment, our employer/administrative leadership, that it made a 'usual bad day' more of an outlier.

I would think if I had the above experiences weekly, I'd quit and retire or find another job. If it were yearly, I'd grin and bear it. Currently I am somewhere in between. I'd say this occurs 1-2x per month. I am wondering if this is normal, or if it'd be any different anywhere else, in any other work environment, in some other field.

Oh God bobby, unfortunately for me it's becoming a daily rant. I am so not liking my job right now.

I totally admit to being scared to quit. I've got 5 years to retirement.

My primary reason for staying are benefits and pay.

5 weeks annual vacation
unlimited sick days
company matches 401K contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% plus if you contribute 6% company kicks in an extra 3%
pension (although it's been phased out for new employees since 2012)
health care. I have 2 college students still on my coverage
Pay. my salary in 78K which I know is not a lot in "bogle-land" but it's pretty decent in this neck of the woods for a Bachelors

I'm a 53 year old chemist for a major chemical company. I've been there 21 years.
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"

galectin

Post by galectin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:49 am

Got there two months ago. How often? Every day since then.

Age 64
Professor with tenure at a medical school basic science dept. (Ph.D.)

Since others are explaining their situations:
After over 27 years as a faculty member I was told (without any discussion) by the administration in a two line email to vacate my lab and office in three weeks which, since I was on vacation at the time, amounted to seven working days. The new office assigned to me was a small interior room on an out-of-the-way floor. No lab space was offered, even though there are a number of empty labs at the place. They said that my space was needed by Sept. 15, but it is over a month past that date and nobody has moved in.

For the past five years I have had more salary support from grants (as a co-investigator) than anybody in my dept., except for our chairman, and more teaching hours than anybody. I am the director of one of our major courses for the medical students and chair a major university committee essential for research efforts.

I have stepped up and served other important jobs (five research misconduct cases, faculty senate, college P&T committee) for the institution that have been quite stressful and have taken a lot of my time. I just filled in for my dept. chairman on ten day's notice to give six lectures that he didn't want to give since he was writing a grant. I was just nominated by him for a university-wide teaching award and have received awards from the students, so I am regarded as a good teacher. By the administration's internal metrics, with grant salary support, administrative duties and teaching I am at 160 % effort.

To quote a famous dead guy, "What is to be done?"

I am going to dial back my effort to 100 %, starting with the most strenuous duties.
I will not take on anything extra for the institution.

And, I was diagnosed with cancer in March. Fortunately, it is a low-level sub-type of lymphoma and after minor surgery I haven't needed chemotherapy yet. So if having cancer is your baseline, I have a "good" one. But, it does get your attention.

However, since I have tenure, I still have a job. So, despite being kicked around, things could be worse and I can handle the emotional blows, chiefly because I have no regard for most of our administration. My finances and expenditures are such that I could retire, although I want to keep going for at least a couple of years to increase my cushion. While I considered walking out the door, I also feel that I have an obligation to the students and to some folks at my place.

So, if twice a month you are feeling down like the OP said, lucky you.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:58 am

galectin, after reading your post I feel guilty for complaining about my troubles. I hope things work out for you!
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. How consistantly wrong do predictions have to be before the faithful learn?

jojay

Post by jojay » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi,
I recently asked a similar question in a different post.

Work is simply unbearable and at 59, I can afford to quit and not work again. I'd need something to do and am not yet prepared to not work. Although we can live well without me working, if I can do something for a few years, we'll be in absolutely terrific financial condition. But yes, just about every day, it hits me about hating my job. And I do hate it.

Based partially on feedback from folks in my post, the plan is to get out of my job. The bottom line for me is that the value system my present employer has and the value system I retain are simply different. They allow no accountability where I demand it of myself and others. As long as we can make 15% profit on $2b in sales, they are fine with the process. I'm not. They pay great though.

It's a real bummer that I am not at the peak of my financial salary and have elected to find a job elsewhere. But, there are a lot of factors in play here.
The serenity prayer posted earlier absolutely hits home for me. Where does most frustration come from anyway?
Though I am in better health than my family, no male in my ancestry has ever lived beyond their sixties.
My spouse has family in their 70s and 80s and they suggest that there is more value in free time in your 60s and early seventies than late 70s and 80s. I played golf with an 84 year old who seemed like 50 so there are exceptions.
You only get one go round.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:37 pm

I am happy with my job 70% of the time. TO some that is terrible. However, I have looked around. People are out of work. The economy is not in great shape. People have had lives uprooted. I am thankful and appreciative that I have what I have. I recently traveled to asia. I am so glad I am in the job that I have. People in this world are doing far worse.

I would be spoiled I think, if I expected the 30% of annoying or irritating things to get to me - but it requires me to reset and look globally.

Dadarkar

Post by Dadarkar » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:38 pm

51 years, Field: Pediatrics
Recently "I have had it"feeling happening frequently. As number of patients seen per day are important than quality of care. And of course EMR , where you spend more time on computer instead of talking to the patients!

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:46 pm

ieee488 wrote:Almost every day.

You need to learn the art of Ignoring a person--even when looking at the person in his/her face.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

goodoboy

Post by goodoboy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:49 pm

I share some of your pain.

Here is how I think of work:

1. I am here to get paid only and do my work for 8 hours and go home.
2. I ignore all the BS and politics and do my job.
3. I don't take anything at work personally, just pay me.
4. When I get home, I figure out how to make passive income to enjoy my life more.

This thinking makes it very very easy for me to go work and enjoy myself. But I am an electrical engineer, so I don't talk to people much at work.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Last edited by Lynette on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:23 pm

I am 49 years old. Two main activities - 1. clinician, for which I sometimes I have an "I have had it" moment. 2. Consultant for a large consulting firm, for which I have an "I have had it" moment every SINGLE day I work there.

I never have an "I have had it" moment when I volunteer abroad, and this is why I am thinking of retiring early to devote more time to volunteering.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

am

Post by am » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:16 pm

I am in medicine and good to know I am not alone. The constant pressure to do more work per unit time for less money. The loss of autonomy. The loss of job stability. The awful job market in my area leading to less career choices. I always think that all this stress, long training and long painful work hours for what? Unfortunately, have to keep going hoping I am not layed off (yes this has been happening in my department) or worse suffer some early health complication from the constant pressures and stress.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Great thread. I used to be in the 70/30 crowd. Love my work (physician taking care of patients) and hated the admin folks overseeing the daily chores. They were incompetent and frustrating to work with as the moves they made no medical or financial sense for the practice. It was hard to listen to someone with probably less then 4-5 years less education and knowledge tell you things should be done.

Decided to go out on my own. I am just building up my practice and it is fun. I am not looking to make a killing, but enough to keep just adding to the good financial pot I/ we have done so far. It is great that I have not had one bad day since. It really is fun being your own boss. No one to answer to. No one that you end up in a fight during the work day. No getting called into the "principal's office". I make my schedule and see who I want. The buck starts and ends with me. As different opportunities come up I am the one who decides if/ how I want to incorporate them into my practice.

I wonder if the frustrating feelings folks have would be different if they had more say like a self employed person has? I thought and was correct my negative views to my last job was DEFINETLY all related to being treated liked an idiot and being told what to do with very little/ no independence.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:45 pm

I've had jobs in the past where it was EVERY SINGLE DAY. I would have so loved to quit on the spot but couldn't because I had a big nut to crack every day.

One time I remember vividly was when I was working at a large financial information company on Long Island, and the job that had looked fine with the boss who hired me looked terrible when he suddenly had a health problem and stopped managing, turning his position over to a real idiot whom I would NEVER have accepted an offer from.

I suffered in that position for months but eventually got another offer. When I did, I went into his office and said, "You know, you were right that I should have a better attitude about my job." He brightened up at that, and then I said, "Oh, I didn't mean here. I'm giving two weeks' notice so I can go work for a company where my efforts will be appreciated." He actually looked so stunned I felt a little sorry for him... for a nanosecond.

But one of the best days in my life was the day I realized I didn't HAVE to work anymore. That lifted an immense weight off my shoulders that I didn't even know was there!
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:47 pm

staythecourse wrote:Great thread. I used to be in the 70/30 crowd. Love my work (physician taking care of patients) and hated the admin folks overseeing the daily chores. They were incompetent and frustrating to work with as the moves they made no medical or financial sense for the practice. It was hard to listen to someone with probably less then 4-5 years less education and knowledge tell you things should be done.

Decided to go out on my own. I am just building up my practice and it is fun. I am not looking to make a killing, but enough to keep just adding to the good financial pot I/ we have done so far. It is great that I have not had one bad day since. It really is fun being your own boss. No one to answer to. No one that you end up in a fight during the work day. No getting called into the "principal's office". I make my schedule and see who I want. The buck starts and ends with me. As different opportunities come up I am the one who decides if/ how I want to incorporate them into my practice.

I wonder if the frustrating feelings folks have would be different if they had more say like a self employed person has? I thought and was correct my negative views to my last job was DEFINETLY all related to being treated liked an idiot and being told what to do with very little/ no independence.

Good luck.
That is certainly one of the issues I've had in the past, so you are not alone. In fact, I believe I have read articles indicating that is the biggest issue that many people have with their jobs.

burt

Post by burt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Crimsontide wrote:I'm 52, an Engineering Project Manager, and have this feeling just about everyday now...

Ahhh.... I'm not alone.
59, Engineering Leader.
Currently more bad days than good days.
The day's of fulfillment disappeared in 1996, and are now replaced with survival.
Globalization and Shareholder value contributes to my daily acid reflux.
The only thing getting me though the day is the thought of retiring next year.

burt

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Folks,

1) Stop taking your job too seriously.. In most cases and for most of us, it is NOT a life and death situation.

2) Accept the fact that you can only DO YOUR BEST. You have no absolute control of the OUTCOME.

3) Accept the fact that you had DONE YOUR BEST within your LIMIT.

4) Accept the fact that you are ONLY HUMAN. And, you will make MISTAKE. We are not flawless.

5) Do not accept accountability and responsibility beyond your JOB SCOPE. Know your LIMIT.

All those lessons are from my painful experience of SURVIVING 80% laid off across 5 1/2 years. We had quarterly 10% to 15% laid off. It is hard to be a product manager and deliver product and feature when your team is getting down sized every quarter and you do not know ahead of time who is left. But, I delivered. We doubled and tripled our revenue and profit. As a reward, we were shutdown and outsourced to India,

So, in the end, it matters and it did not matters.

It matters that we kept as many of us employed for as long as possible. It does not matter what we did for the employer. We still get stabbed in the back.

KlangFool

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Field - finance
Age - around yours
Times per month - lately about 3x per month, the older I get the more I realize just how many folks lack plain common sense, that deficiency in turn leads to poor decision making :oops: :oops:

The grass is not greener anywhere else they say, but if you can provide me with 6 winning numbers I will have enough green to create my own lush oasis. :moneybag :moneybag :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

goodoboy

Post by goodoboy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Lynette wrote:
goodoboy wrote:I share some of your pain.

Here is how I think of work:

1. I am here to get paid only and do my work for 8 hours and go home.
2. I ignore all the BS and politics and do my job.
3. I don't take anything at work personally, just pay me.
4. When I get home, I figure out where to travel next and plan my upcoming vacation.
Your thinking is closest to mine - thanks - slightly modified.
:sharebeer :sharebeer

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:20 pm

age 38 . 20 years career . software engineer
I have this feeling maybe a couple of times a year. I have also acted on it before when BS got to be too much.

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:39 pm

32, software developer. On my last job it was happening 3-4 times per week, and it was like that for a couple years. The team got cut in half but I was still expected to get the team to do the same amount of work.

So I quit this summer and went to a new company, and so far I haven't had a single day like that. I suspected it will start to happen after I've been there for a while, and if it gets to be too much to handle, I'll just go somewhere else.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Mid 40's, engineering/project management. I feel the I can't take it no more 3-5 x/month. Its getting tougher each year.

Sometimes I think the guy mowing the city's baseball field would be the best job ever.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

peppers

Post by peppers » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Age 60
41 years in telecom
In the early years the work was new and challenging. As time went on I reached a certain level of expertise and became one of the problem solvers. The special projects, demanding customers and FUBAR's got dumped on the problem solvers. There weren't many of us. We would often commiserate and say "Why always us?" Others in the organization put their time in and didn't have to deal with it.

The light went on upstairs and I realized that that's the way the system works and it wasn't going to change. When an opportunity arose to do a lateral move to another department, I took it. Less stress, not as many hours and a better working environment. Doing the move probably added 10 years to my shelf life. Yes, once in a great while the proverbial manure hits the rotating blade and I do what I can but no longer worry or care about the outcome. No individual or project is worth my health or sanity.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm

dbCooperAir wrote:Mid 40's, engineering/project management. I feel the I can't take it no more 3-5 x/month. Its getting tougher each year.

Sometimes I think the guy mowing the city's baseball field would be the best job ever.
Haha, I thought that every day at my last job! Of course they probably thought the same thing about me :D If I do decide to retire early and need some extra cash on the side (or something to keep me a little busy), I may apply for such a job.

welx23

Post by welx23 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:56 pm

This thread really interested me, since I recently left a job where the "I had it" thought was constant. I'm 29, was at my previous employer -- a large research university -- for 5 1/2 years. Loved it at first, but the last year was pretty miserable. Between a car commute in a busy urban area (1+ hour car trip to go 15 miles home some days), an increasingly disinterested boss, and a boring, menial workload, it was a daily source of frustration. Also, it was definitely a mental thing where negativity seemed to just build more and more negativity.

I've now moved on to a large government employer with a short public transit commute. So far, so good -- but I'm definitely thinking about how to have a better outlook over the long-term. Like everyone on this board points out, it is work. It's not always going to be fun, there's bureaucracy, and all your co-workers aren't going to be perfect. I'm trying to remain upbeat, though, and not get into that same cycle of negativity. Anyhow, that's my two cents. Just glad to hear others out there feel the same way at times about their jobs!

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Not often at my job. I'm fortunate to work with a good group of people. Can't say that about every place I've worked though. That's why I've been here 8 years now. Since I'm a physical therapist assistant, and not a physical therapist, I have much less responsibility. I just don't have the stress that the PT's have.

I treat patients and complete documentation......just much less documentation. And I'm still compensated fairly well, well at least to me I am. It's a very low stress job. I just finished working with a patient and she brought me a box of donuts and a new coffee mug of my favorite football team.

I used to do excavating work prior to going back to school and I actually miss that sometimes. Nothing like sitting in an excavator in the morning with the smell of diesel, cup of hot coffee in hand and digging a hole in the ground :D Except that I had to get out of the excavator, or whatever piece of equipment I was running, and grab a shovel, not as fun :(

I went back to school because I was down in a ditch on a 90 degree day leveling it with a shovel to lay corrugated pipe, 600 ft to be exact, and decided I couldn't do that for another 40 years. My job now is a cakewalk.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:36 pm

cfs wrote:
ieee488 wrote:Almost every day.

You need to learn the art of Ignoring a person--even when looking at the person in his/her face.
At the dysfunctional company where I currently work as a contract employee,
I cannot ignore that person who I will call manager-wanabee who has been tasked with "managing" me.
CEO has dumped me on this manager-wanabee.
That is how this CEO manages.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 am

I was going to post a thread like this, except in my case I've identified the cause as a complete lack of work/life balance. I have no life left. Work has consumed my life. I even wake up most days and the first thought is what fire I'm going to have to put out at work that day. I go to bed making strategies about the next day. I've skipped out on normal life events, like going to my high school reunion, just to get work done. This is ridiculous.

Logically, I know part of the reason work is so consuming is that I am doing the job of multiple people without adequate training (our manager left due to serious illness at Thanksgiving last year and I was thrust into the role and I am only just now getting manager's training at state-wide workshops). I've also talked to several long-time managers at the same level as me (but in different groups), and they say the current upper-level managers are poor communicators. One put it as "we are expected to know these new policies by osmosis" and then we get in trouble if we don't miraculously figure it out. I've given up on asking certain things of the next office up the chain from me and have resorted to digging through the state website for our organization, because it's time-consuming but often faster than waiting for the next office up the chain to get back to me. So that is contributing to my general workload and work-related stress.

I don't know exactly how to restore life to my waking (and sleeping) hours, but I know it needs to be done. We did just get authorization to replace my previous position and another position that has gone unfilled for a year, but the hiring process is a good 6-9 months in my agency. So the relief from workload of doing both the mid-level managing and the duties of my previous position is a long way down the road. But if I don't put something in place now to turn back the tide of work, it's going to drown me, utterly and completely.

So yeah, I've experienced lots and lots of "I've had it" moments lately.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 am

Tenure with present employer: something over 27 years, engineering, frequency: never that I can recall. I've encountered frustrating circumstances but see them as frustrating circumstances and don't cast aspersions on my entire livelihood over them. One of the reasons I don't let stuff get to me is that I've never identified myself with my career. So I'm not emotionally invested. It's a simple trade--my time/effort for a check.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 am

burt wrote:
Crimsontide wrote:I'm 52, an Engineering Project Manager, and have this feeling just about everyday now...

Ahhh.... I'm not alone.
The only thing getting me though the day is the thought of retiring next year.

burt
My days of herding cats are winding down now. I'm looking at making an exit in April of 2016.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 am

I was fortunate to work for and with good people most of my career. My last job before retirement was IT director at a govt agency which lasted 22 years. I had to deal with politicians, elected officials and an occasional unreasonable customer which were often unpleasant and frustrating experiences. However, I had a good staff and good support from my management which made the job quite satisfying. I was able to compartmentalize these frustrating experiences, deal with them and move on. I always felt that "this too shall pass" and it always did. However, there were many times where I asked myself if I should make a change but I always toughed it out. Now I am glad that I did.

dr.j

Post by dr.j » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:27 am

Work in hospital in the ER. Love my job although burn-out is real. It's usually about every year I have a "I've had it" moment. Usually related to non-medical things (like hospital politics) or company issues. If I could just practice medicine, then I would be fine. Although that is become more and more difficult. We are saving like crazy for retirement so I can (hopefully soon) work a minimal number of shifts per month.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 am

I am 41 and I have been in engineering for 17 years. 7 years for my current employers.

I occasionally have that feeling, maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

Usually it is while I am dealing with Marketing. (Think 7 Red lines) :D

My current job is stimulating (lots of creative and testing time) job and I only work 40 hours a week and no phone calls at home or weekends.

My "I've had it", has more to do with just wanting to do something else/different but I hate to leave a job that is so "easy" and go back into what I was doing before. While I am very good at Engineering Management/Program Management, the work/life balance problems nearly cost me my marriage.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 am

I've been out of work for a month due to injury so I feel pretty distant from it. I will be out another month, thinking of this as a trial retirement.

Most days are good. Bedside nurse many years, so is spouse. When BS business things pressure us the peace is disturbed. Most of the time the reason for those screws getting tight is understandable, the delivery is very dilbertesque and I can laugh a lot. Focusing on the nonsense could make me sick, I focus on the good, the random kindness I know my patients get. Trouble generally rolls off my back. My spouse- eh, another story. Listening to their complaints is much more stressful! They can't let things go, they are not fixable, being a good partner and listening is torture!

I'm trying to get things lined up to retire next year.

Despite all the ills of healthcare, everyone close to me that has experienced it as a patient have received excellent care from great people.

I counsel new nurses that this is a thankless job and that they should start a journal of the positive experiences to reflect back on when things are tough. I have a great go to supply of such stories.
4nursebee

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 am

Basically never at that extreme, although I did make a couple of moves from one employer to another, and into retirement. That doesn't mean everything glorious day after day anywhere.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 am

4nursebee wrote:I counsel new nurses that this is a thankless job and that they should start a journal of the positive experiences to reflect back on when things are tough. I have a great go to supply of such stories.
That's great advice - not just for nurses, but for anyone who will have to deal with the public when it's mostly a thankless job.

scienceguy

Post by scienceguy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:23 am

Tenured academic cancer researcher. Mid 40's. I rarely if ever have that feeling, because I have one of the rare jobs where I am not providing services to anyone in exchange for payment, so I do not really answer to any customers either directly or indirectly. Rather, try to use creativity and intuition and ability to execute incredibly difficult experimental approaches to make basic discoveries in cancer biology. Funded by federal grants (luckily). Can be very frustrating when experiments don't work, but also incredibly wonderful when the occasional discovery is made. I am very lucky - view my job as sort of like being an artist, except the artistry is applied to a big health problem rather than a canvas. I will say though that I used to think I would work until I died (why not?), but now I can see that once the kids are out of the house I might like to spend some quality time with my spouse traveling a bit, having some lunch, hanging out, and just generally taking a deep breath.

anonforthis

Post by anonforthis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 am

I've never had a job that I hate. It sounds corny but I am just happy to have a job. And I don't even make that much compare to a lot of people here. Maybe that how my parents trained me. I'm early 30s.
Last edited by anonforthis on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 am

burt wrote: The only thing getting me though the day is the thought of retiring next year.
About 10 years ago, I had to help setup some software on a group of PC's in a department. This was a manufacturing plant that had started up about 35 years prior. Most the the people in the department had been hired when the factory started up and were getting close to retirement.

What was amazing to me at the time (but not now)- was that 3 or 4 people had "retirement countdown screensavers". At the time I couldn't image this mindset. Now, I have two phone apps, screensavers, a post-it note, home page countdown. I am thinking of leasing a electronic billboard on the highway to work with a countdown timer.

My countdown timer

Tigermoose

Post by Tigermoose » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:17 am

Never. However, other people in the same role on the same team felt that way and left the company. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual's temperament. Also, I do not do a lot of gossiping and complaining with my peers; it just drags you down.
Institutions matter

tphp99

Post by tphp99 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 am

joe135 wrote:mid 40s in medicine. "ive had it" occurs maybe every 3-4 months. But when it does, it lasts for about 2-3 weeks before I can shake the feeling off. Had one of those days last week. Still can't shake it. On other hand, how often is it 'i love this job'? never. will go another 10 yrs and get out.
Mid 40s, I love the clinical aspect of my job. Admin/management part does take its toll and makes me consider early retirement.

It's the people part of a job that can be a challenge. The technical part can always be solved. People problems has one solution: they either move on or you do.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

About a year ago I had it enough to quit my software development job of 18 years. Just wasn't worth it.

I took a few months off and took a job in the same industry, but for a partner that sells the software I used to develop.

I had high hopes of it being different. It wasn't. I put in my notice and will be done in early November. A big relief.

43 and closing the door on that career. It will mean less pay for sure, but having daily "I've had it" days is just not worth it.

I am lucky my wife has a great career and has few "I've had it" days.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

4ransom

Post by 4ransom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 am

I worked for the fed govt for 10 yrs. It got to the point that every other day was one of those days. I quit and started a small business; it was a real struggle but after 30 years it has worked out well. one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't quit sooner.

UnclePennybags

Post by UnclePennybags » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm 51 and a senior IT manager for a major defense contracting firm. For many years I loved my job and virtually never had one of those days. The combination of being financially able to walk away if I wanted to do so and the mounting frustrations of dealing with incompetent government clients has changed my point of view quite a bit in recent years. I've had to manage staff cuts twice in the past year and would happily have quit on any given day during that process. Even when things are "normal" I'd say I contemplate retirement (or at least changing jobs) on a fleeting basis at least once a week. The main dilemma is that I'm overpaid and hesitant to give up the income stream and I have significant assets in a rabbi trust that I'd have to start paying taxes on if I quit. But the appeal of a job where I did more of what I love and less of what I hate keeps stacking bricks on the other side of the scale and one of these fine days I'm going to walk away. To be honest, knowing that I could laugh at the latest stupid idea and hand in my papers any time I want to has actually made it easier to deal with the madness. Contemplating that future is almost as much fun as executing it will be.

kellyfj

Post by kellyfj » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 pm

42, Software Engineer for 16 years

I have *that* moment once every few weeks. Typical big company politics and decision making - nothing unusual.

I realized that the key problem was ME tying up too much of my self-esteem in my work and so I started a volunteer group where we teach young kids (ages 7 to 17) in the area to code. Putting the focus on others and especially kids in need (e.g. "At risk" youth and special needs) is awesome. I get the self-esteem from that and the pay from my "real job".

Here's our group's URL
http://www.meetup.com/Somerville-CoderDojo

It's a fair bit of work but mostly because I love it and it's "my baby" and I get to set direction, organize and get lots of positive feedback from kids, parents and local tech companies who help in so many ways (e.g. free computers, free books, volunteering their staff or their offices). The people and volunteers I have met are also wonderful people. It's also a good way to network, looks good on the resume (engagement) but that's secondary to why I got into it in the first place - the feeling of "doing good for others" is great and putting my focus on that and not on silly work frustrations is good for me.

I strongly recommend people who have "had it" to throw their energies into volunteering - the genuine thanks, the appreciation and the resulting self-esteem boost are incredible. Find a cause you care about and "go for it".

-Frank

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm

UnclePennybags wrote:I'm 51 and a senior IT manager for a major defense contracting firm. For many years I loved my job and virtually never had one of those days. The combination of being financially able to walk away if I wanted to do so and the mounting frustrations of dealing with incompetent government clients has changed my point of view quite a bit in recent years. I've had to manage staff cuts twice in the past year and would happily have quit on any given day during that process. Even when things are "normal" I'd say I contemplate retirement (or at least changing jobs) on a fleeting basis at least once a week. The main dilemma is that I'm overpaid and hesitant to give up the income stream and I have significant assets in a rabbi trust that I'd have to start paying taxes on if I quit. But the appeal of a job where I did more of what I love and less of what I hate keeps stacking bricks on the other side of the scale and one of these fine days I'm going to walk away. To be honest, knowing that I could laugh at the latest stupid idea and hand in my papers any time I want to has actually made it easier to deal with the madness. Contemplating that future is almost as much fun as executing it will be.
Yes, that is a big help in dealing with the usual nonsense!

RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Near 60, corporate marketing for high tech company. I've worked for some of the biggest pricks you could ever imagine, with egos the size of the Grand Canyon. Every day I am only grateful that I have a job (oh, and not to mention a 2.5 hour daily commute), and that some day this will all be over. Happily married for over 30 years and during one period when I was laid off and out of work for a year (with the kids grown and out of the house), I could (when not looking for a job) for the first time in our lives sit on the couch and hold hands with my wife, my best friend in the universe.

It was great, we loved our time together, and I am only counting the days until I can blow this joint, too...

RTR