AllClear ID identity theft protection?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
investor1

AllClear ID identity theft protection?

Post by investor1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:12 pm

It was announced yesterday that customers of the Alberstons chain of grocery stores in Southern California, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Southern Utah were impacted by a breach to their POS system, and their credit card information may have been comprised. As a result, Alberstons is offering free identity theft protection for one year through AllClear ID.

I shop at Alberstons, so I'm considering signing up. As anyone used this service? Can you provide any feedback? I may be puchasing a house in the next year, and I'm trying to keep excellent credit. Will the use of such a service affect my credit score?

rogers-SNK

Re: AllClear ID identity theft protection?

Post by rogers-SNK » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Home Depot and SuperValue are offering this as well.

It will not hurt your credit score and signing up was pretty easy at least through the Home Depot breach 1 year offer.

From my understanding, this wont stop people from using your credit just makes you aware. Its up to you then to fight it out to remove it.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:45 pm

freezing your credit at the 3 credit agencies is much more effective; doing this PREVENTS damage; credit monitoring just tells you that something has happened

investor1

Post by investor1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm

soccerdad12 wrote:freezing your credit at the 3 credit agencies is much more effective; doing this PREVENTS damage; credit monitoring just tells you that something has happened
Is there a fee for freezing credit? How long does it last for? Can I remove the freeze at any time? My credit card company provides me with a credit report every month, I assume freezing my credit will prevent that from happening. Is there anything else that might be affected?

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:06 pm

I did it a couple of months ago as I was caught in the Target breach and in NC there is no fee. I think the fee is dependent on what state you are in. I believe Clark Howard's website will tell you if there is a fee in your state. It is all done online and takes about 1 minute per credit agency. The only downside is that you have to unfreeze it before you apply for a credit card, but I think that only takes 1 minute as well.

Van

Post by Van » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 pm

The fees do vary by state, but are usually around $10/agency. In some states, if you are over 65, the fee is waived.

In all states, except 3, the freeze lasts until you remove it. One of the 3 is PA where the freeze lasts for 7 years. I'm not sure of the length for the other 2 states.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:44 pm

It looks like there is a $10 fee for freezing my credit in my state.

It turns out there were two separate breaches. One in June-July and another in August-September. If you shopped at any of the stores affected during that time, you are eligible for the free monitoring service. The details and sign up form is here: https://abacquisition.allclearid.com

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Clark Howard has a guide to freezing credit with links to all the credit bureaus.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-h ... uide/nFbL/
Mike