NCAA Tournment Predictions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Who will win the Tournament ?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm

North Carolina
20%
North Carolina
20%
Tennessee
7%
Tennessee
7%
Duke
2%
UCLA
9%
Kansas
9%
Texas
2%
Other
24%

Total votes: 45

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:46 pm

OUJohnNasr wrote:I am so glad that Memphis beat the hell out of Texas. My two favorite teams are the Oklahoma Sooners and the current opponent of the Texas Longhorns.
You sound like me, Purdue and anyone playing IU.

FN

mucomix

Post by mucomix » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Man tough game …. Now for the Bill & Roy show next weekend.

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:55 pm

mucomix wrote:Man tough game …. Now for the Bill & Roy show next weekend.
Mucomix, that was too close for comfort. My bracket was getting ready to cry. I would be worried about your Jayhawks. They were pushed to the brink today. I also find it really interesting for next Saturday's game. Roy against the school he wasn't going to leave for UNC.

Boy, that Curry kid can shoot.

Well, All four of my picks made it to the Final Four, how's your bracket?

FN

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 pm

OUJohnNasr wrote:I am so glad that Memphis beat the hell out of Texas. My two favorite teams are the Oklahoma Sooners and the current opponent of the Texas Longhorns.
Hi John:

While I'm not a Texas alum, I did have them in the pool! :(

Regards,

Mel

mucomix

Post by mucomix » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:13 pm

I’m shot. NC and KU is all I have left. TX ran into the Memphis buzz saw and I took Xavier out to far. And I knocked out UCLA on my sheet to soon.

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:24 pm

I just got back from watching the Kansas vs Davidson game at Ford Field - what an amazing run for Davidson, and to fall short by only 2 points. If they could have only made that last shot, it would have been a HUGE upset.

Curry is indeed an amazing shot. The whole Davidson team was amazingly quick.

I picked the final four correct, but I still don't think it's enough to win it for me. I think another guy is 1 point ahead of me, and has the exact same teams picked from here on out. Strangely, our tie-breaker score was even the exact same!

Thad

SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm

foodnerd wrote:

FN
I hope the NCAA nails IU to the wall for what Sampson did. IU knew he was a piece of garbage when he left Oklahoma, and now they should pay the price for hiring such a low-life cheater.

John

SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:27 pm

tat2ng wrote:Curry is indeed an amazing shot. The whole Davidson team was amazingly quick. Thad
Curry didn't shoot too well today. He was 9-25 from the field. Shooting 36% from the floor against Kansas simply isn't going to get it done most nights. The entire Davidson team has absolutely nothing to feel bad about, and I've enjoyed watching them play.

UNC has to beat Kansas, UCLA has to beat Memphis, and then UNC has to beat UCLA for me to finish 4th in my office pool. 4th isn't too bad considering there are 77 entries at $10/pop. I think 4th pays $75 :)

In all reality, I'll finish outside of the money and someone else will be enjoying my :moneybag

John

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:37 pm

OUJohnNasr wrote:Curry didn't shoot too well today. He was 9-25 from the field. Shooting 36% from the floor against Kansas simply isn't going to get it done most nights. The entire Davidson team has absolutely nothing to feel bad about, and I've enjoyed watching them play.

John
John - I agree. He had at least 3 different 3-point shots that he missed in the last few minutes of the game... and they would have made the difference. But, his quickness to get the ball and shoot is amazing.

It was a great run for Davidson, that's for sure. Kind of a bummer to come up 2 points short.

Thad

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 am

OUJohnNasr wrote:
foodnerd wrote:

FN
I hope the NCAA nails IU to the wall for what Sampson did. IU knew he was a piece of garbage when he left Oklahoma, and now they should pay the price for hiring such a low-life cheater.

John
I want to take that one step further. Not only do I want IU to be nailed, I want them to struggle to find their next coach. I want the state of Indiana to realize that the best coach of the State of Indiana is Matt Painter. Purdue has really handled their coaching transitions extremely well. They have picked the new coach at least a year out and have the new coach transition into the job. Living down here in Northwest Arkansas, I witnessed the whole Houston Nutt and Nolan Richardson / Stan Heath incidents. I kept telling all of my co-workers, you didn't hear of problems like what was going at Arkansas about Purdue.

Oh, the new results came out for our Heart Walkers pool. I am now 1st and 2nd and lead the next closest person by 20 points.

FN

x36900

I didn't have enough confidence in Memphis...

Post by x36900 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Prior to the tournament, I really considered putting all of the #1 seeds into the Final 4.
But, knowing that it had never happened since the 64+ team field started in 1985 (or thereabouts), I cleverly decided to pick one to lose, and so I had picked Texas to beat Memphis for the Final 4.

I'm pretty sure Larry Swedroe would call that the mistake of assuming that the highly unlikely is impossible. D'oh!

I'm getting just crushed in the two brackets I entered on ESPN.com. I think I'm tied for 3,006th place out of 18,526 entries in the "Fans of Wisconsin" bracket; then in the Mike & Mike bracket I'm tied for 4,457th place out of 26,174 entries.

I was amazed to see that many people on those ESPN brackets have not missed a single game so far. Approximately 14 in the "Fans of Wisconsin" bracket, and about 35 in the Mike & Mike bracket.

Are they just lucky? Or do they follow college hoops like a hedge fund manager follows various financial markets?

Regards,
Brian

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:58 pm

It would be ironic if Kansas beat North Carolina.
Gordon

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:11 pm

Like I said, UNC all the way ... Hansbrough on a mission
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:44 pm

Now Stanford has made the Final Four. (LSU eliminated North Carolina in the East regional.)
Gordon

x36900

OK -- who had a Memphis vs. Kansas final?

Post by x36900 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:31 am

My, ummm, "dominance" of the two brackets I entered on ESPN.com continues.
I didn't even have Memphis in either of my Final 4's.

In the "Fans of Wisconsin" bracket I am now tied for 2,176th place out of 18,526 brackets.

In the "Mike and Mike" bracket I am now tied for 2,691st place out of 26,174 brackets.

The only thing I can say is that I'm now marginally better off than I was last week.

Whoops, no, the second thing I can say is that I made a mistake in my last post. I misread the results that were posted last week, and apparently nobody now, and nobody last week either, has or had a perfect sheet.

Regards,
Brian

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:26 pm

Well Guys, my brackets took a major hit on Saturday. I had North Carolina Winning in one and Kansas in the other, but both brackets had Memphis losing. D-oh!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Oh well.

FN

jimmydean

AAR

Post by jimmydean » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Okay, I am now the official last place loser of my office pool. As the loser, I must write an After Action Review detailing my thought process of the stupid decisons I've made along the way (I wrote on this board that George Mason would win...truthfully, I has Tennessee beating Stanford in the final game). For all the taxpayers, I am sorry. The AAR I'm writing is taking too much time away from my work. My co-workers seem to delight in this abuse of taxpayer money...my apologies. I determined the cost value of the time I've spent writing the AAR...didn't take too long...and am donating that amount, plus my usual donation, to the Army Emergency Relief Fund. I hope this will placate my "friends" at work.

jimmydean

NCAA Wrestling Tournament

Post by jimmydean » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Also, since I knew going in that I was at a severe disadvantage, I forced my office to also participate in NCAA Wrestling Pool. I swallowed my pride and picked Tom (Benedict Arnold) Brands' Iowa team to dominate...I won this pool in a landslide.

Congratulations to All American, Matt Kyler (West Point!), on his sixth place finish.

(edited for grammatical reasons)

tat2ng

Go Kansas!

Post by tat2ng » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:17 pm

If Kansas wins tomorrow night, I will get 1st place in 2 of my brackets, and 2nd place in another, finishing only 1 point behind the winner (strangely, our final four, championship game, and final champion picks were identical, AND our tie-breaker score was the same too!... unfortunately he picked up that 1 stinking point on me in one of the early rounds).

Pretty sweet year, though!

Thad

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:45 pm

Stanford just beat the University of Connecticut, the number one seed in the tournament, and will play either Tennessee or Louisiana State in the final.
Gordon

mucomix

Post by mucomix » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Rock Chak Jayhawk... This is my regular day off but I think every one els in Lawrence took off work today. Every one on my street is smoking & grilling today. Im doing a brisket in the smoker and a peach cobler in the dutch oven.

I loved the look on Roy's face the other night.

x36900

Wow -- you probably loved the Jayhawk on Roy's shirt

Post by x36900 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:48 am

tonight. :)

Final reults for me on ESPN.com:

"Fans of Wisconsin" bracket: tied for 743rd place out of 18,526 entries;

"Mike and Mike" brackt: tied for 1,193rd place out of 26,174 entries.

Not good enough in a nationwide bracket; if I'd been in an office-pool, maybe I'd have had a chance for some money.

There's always next year...

Brian

Rookie

Post by Rookie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:14 am

Excellent game, Jayhawks and Tigers are real good teams. UCLA and UNC are overrated.

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:11 am

What a game. Great shot by Chalmers.

Mucomix, your Jayhawks pulled it out. I don't know what you cooked up, but it worked. Results from my pool are out yet, but I did have one bracket that did pick Kansas so we'll see.

FN

PaPaw

Post by PaPaw » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:38 am

I predict Kansas will win. :lol: :lol:

Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 am

mucomix wrote:Rock Chak Jayhawk... This is my regular day off but I think every one els in Lawrence took off work today. Every one on my street is smoking & grilling today. Im doing a brisket in the smoker and a peach cobler in the dutch oven.

I loved the look on Roy's face the other night.
I bet you loved to see Roy with the Jayhawk sticker last night.

Congrats to Kansas. What a great comeback. I new it was going to be all KU once it went to overtime.
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 am

The Results are in and I finished Third in my pool. Very Respectable.

How did everyone else do?

FN

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 am

1st place in a pool of about 40
2nd place (only 1 point behind 1st place) in a pool of 11
1st place in a pool of 5

That last second 3-point shot by Kansas in regulation was very kind to me. :lol:

I haven't done this well since I picked Michigan State to go all the way in 2000, and I was more voting with my heart that time, and just got lucky.

Thad

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:41 pm

gkaplan wrote:Stanford just beat the University of Connecticut, the number one seed in the tournament, and will play either Tennessee or Louisiana State in the final.
gkaplan, sorry about your lady cardinals.

FN

jimmydean

gkaplan

Post by jimmydean » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:12 am

Hey, just read your post about Tennessee and Stanford. If only I could convince the people in my pool that I thought the brackets were for the women's tournament. I might have won!

mnd2013

Walleye - What's the market going to do?

Post by mnd2013 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:39 am

Walleye wrote:Memphis...IF, Dorsey stays out of foul trouble and they can make their free throws down the stretch. Rose will have to play like a veteran point guard during the tourney but he is capable.
Walleye predicted this on March 14.

Topic Author
foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:30 am

Sounds like Walleye was the harbinger of doom for Memphis. I am just happy they lost or I was toast on my brackets.

FN