AT&T mvno Airvoice or cricket wireless

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
henry001

AT&T mvno Airvoice or cricket wireless

Post by henry001 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience moving from AT&T to Airvoice Wireless or Cricket Wireless. If so which one would you recommend.

My contract is currently over with AT&T and I am considering moving over to one of the MVNO carriers.

AirVoice has a $30 plan which includes:
Unlimited Anytime Minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited MMS
500MB Web

Cricket Wireless plan is $35
Unlimited Anytime Minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited MMS
1 GB at high-speed

I contacted both carriers and they reported that I do not need to unlock my phone with AT&T. All I need to do is get a new sim card and I can port my phone number over.

I wanted to know if there are any drawbacks by not unlocking my phone. The phone I have is a Samsung Galaxy S III. It is currently two years old. If I want to sell the phone in the future would it be beneficial to unlock it? What if I go to Cricket and later change to Airvoice....would my phone need to be unlocked moving from carrier to carrier?

Also, I if anyone is with Airvoice or Cricket please provide your experience with either carrier as I am looking to switch asap.

Browser

Re: AT&T mvno Airvoice or cricket wireless

Post by Browser » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:23 pm

I've been an AirVoice user in the past and they were fine - I had the $30 plan. My phone is unlocked, but I understand you can use an AT&T phone on either Cricket or AirVoice without unlocking it. It should make no difference if you are using a locked or unlocked phone as far as your service on either AirVoice or Cricket is concerned. Both of these AT&T MVNOs offer service on AT&T's prepaid network, so you won't have the partner roaming that you had with AT&T. This can be a problem if you live or travel in some areas, primarily rural or sparsely populated areas. AirVoice does not charge any taxes or fees - just $30. I'd make sure Cricket does the same because that can add another $5 to your monthly bill. Assuming this is the case, what you get from Cricket for the extra $5 a month compared to Airvoice is 4G-LTE speeds for data. AirVoice gives you 4G (HSPA+), which was fine for me and may be fine for you. One other thing is that with AirVoice, if you go over 250Mb. you have to call them to release the remaining 250Mb, which is a small hassle. You might want to give Consumer Cellular a tumble. With them you get 4G-LTE speeds as well as partner roaming, same as AT&T. However, they can cost you more depending on your voice and data needs, and they charge taxes and fees which add about 15% to your bill. I currently use them because my voice and data needs are fairly light and I'm usually at $35 or less per month including the fees. You can change your voice and data plans as often as you want during the month to more closely match your usage that month.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:30 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (cellphone plan).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Should you go to sell the phone, it will fetch more (or be sellable at all) if it's unlocked. If you have satisfied the contract term with AT&T, there is no downside nor reason not to unlock it.

If it's unlocked, you can take it to any GSM carrier in the world.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 am

My wife just switched her ATT, Samsung Galaxy Note 1 to Cricket, about 2 months ago and it has been error free. The same plan, $35.00/month.
I had to take it into the Cricket store and they made the changes, swapped out the SIM, or whatever. They had to do something in the setup that I was not paying attention to, so I recommend that.
I was at 1st concerned that the 1gb might not be enough but we have never even came close to using it all. Of course we use WiFi when at home so that minimizes a lot of the usage.
I think at the time of signup they were called AiO, subsequently bought by Cricket.
When my contract expires with ATT I will probably go with them as well.

Cricket also does not charge any extra taxes or fees. $35.00 is the total.
One thing that might be a concern is international travel. My wife is going to So. Korea next week and her Cricket phone won't work there.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 am

Hexdump wrote:My wife just switched her ATT, Samsung Galaxy Note 1 to Cricket, about 2 months ago and it has been error free. The same plan, $35.00/month.
I had to take it into the Cricket store and they made the changes, swapped out the SIM, or whatever. They had to do something in the setup that I was not paying attention to, so I recommend that.
I was at 1st concerned that the 1gb might not be enough but we have never even came close to using it all. Of course we use WiFi when at home so that minimizes a lot of the usage.
I think at the time of signup they were called AiO, subsequently bought by Cricket.
When my contract expires with ATT I will probably go with them as well.

Cricket also does not charge any extra taxes or fees. $35.00 is the total.
One thing that might be a concern is international travel. My wife is going to So. Korea next week and her Cricket phone won't work there.

Having just looked at using a phone abroad, if you have a GSM phone (with the removable SIM) all you need to do when abroad is to purchase a SIM there and put it in the phone. Unless you're familiar with configuring the APN settings, you'll need some help there to do that. This requires an unlocked phone. If your phone is locked to AT&T you can't swap SIMs and use one that works on a non-ATT wireless provider abroad. So, if you contemplate using your old ATT phone abroad, it would probably be a good idea to have it unlocked. That should be a simple matter, just requesting ATT to do that for you. These days its harder for them to drag their feet on doing that. The SIM you already have set up for Cricket should work just fine when the phone is unlocked.

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 am

Browser wrote:
Hexdump wrote:Having just looked at using a phone abroad, if you have a GSM phone (with the removable SIM) all you need to do when abroad is to purchase a SIM there and put it in the phone.

But don't you also have to take into consideration the frequency/band in use in the different countries?
Most USA phones are 3 bands. But apaprently there are 4 possible.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am

You might also consider H2O Wireless. I recently used them and would probably go back if I can solve a problem with Google Voice. They have a $30 plan with unlimited voice and MMS and 500 Mb. data - same as AirVoice. If you go on autopay that drops to $27/month. It also has service on ATT prepaid network (without partner roaming). You can go to a Target store and get a SIM kit unless you need a nano-SIM, which you'll have to get from H2O (I actually got one for 1-cent from PinCheap). The setup is pretty easy via their website as you can download an auto-configuration there. They are much easier to deal with than AirVoice, since you never need to call anybody. If you want off, you simply stop paying and they automatically drop you, no need to call anybody. I use Google Voice and for some reason I was having a problem with delayed ringing when I received phone calls. This resulted in me getting only 1 ring and caller going to voicemail before I could pick up. This did not occur when I was simply using the native phone number (GV is actually a call forwarding service). I couldn't solve the problem so went back to Consumer Cellular, as I didn't have the problem with them for some reason. I'll probably give H2O a tumble again to see if the problem still persists and if it doesn't I'll go back.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:54 am

I believe the GSM bands abroad are 900/1800 and in the U.S. are 850/1900. Most GSM phones support all four bands, but older ones might not. So you need to check if yours supports 900/1800 to use it abroad.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:18 am

i switched my wife over to cricket wireless and it has been a good experience so far. the change to 1GB data is very recent (this past weekend in fact) and per press release, the offer is for "a limited time" although many are saying that if you sign on with the 1GB plan, you would grandfather out of any future downgrades and retain the 1GB data (who knows though, that's not from Cricket directly).

realize the data speeds are still partially throttled (4G LTE maxes out at 8 Mbps download speed and HSPA+ maxes out at 4 Mbps depending on what your phone is capable of) on Cricket. but my wife is not a big "data streamer" so this does not affect her much. I think this allows AT&T to push their full speed data users to their more expensive plans.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:35 am

Since ATT owns Cricket, I don't completely trust these guys to begin with. How difficult is it to quit their service? IMO, the easier it is to get in and out the better I like an MVNO. It's real easy to get in and out of H2O, so that's a plus for them. It's not quite as easy with AirVoice, since you have to make phone calls to customer service for just about everything. It's even more difficult with Consumer Cellular. They make it hard to find out how to quit, once you do you learn that you have to "send them a letter" - how about that? The Roach Motel approach. You check in but it's hard to check out alive.

mikep

Post by mikep » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Cricket is fine, one issue is you have to dial 10 digits for all numbers, but other than that no complaints. Wife's plan is increasing from 2.5 GB to 3 GB.

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 pm

mikep wrote:Cricket is fine, one issue is you have to dial 10 digits for all numbers, but other than that no complaints. Wife's plan is increasing from 2.5 GB to 3 GB.

That's weird. Even in the same area code as your cellphone number?

mikep

Post by mikep » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Browser wrote:
mikep wrote:Cricket is fine, one issue is you have to dial 10 digits for all numbers, but other than that no complaints. Wife's plan is increasing from 2.5 GB to 3 GB.

That's weird. Even in the same area code as your cellphone number?

Yes, even in same area code. Not sure why.