Electronic rent payments

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Startled Cat

Electronic rent payments

Post by Startled Cat »

I've been paying rent to my girlfriend using Amazon Payments for several years. It's been great to get 2% cash back on these rent payments through my credit card, or use the payments to meet minimum spending requirements when signing up for new cards. Unfortunately, Amazon payments is finally discontinuing person-to-person payments next month.

Does anyone know of a similar service that supports person-to-person payments for free? Obviously, there's nothing else out there that will charge a credit card without an extra fee, but even if the service uses ACH, I think it would be a lot more convenient than writing checks. I hate dealing with checks, and it seems silly to write out a slip of paper just so my girlfriend can digitize it on her phone seconds later.

I'm aware of Square Cash, but I'm suspicious of the level of security. As someone deeply familiar with email protocols, I don't trust a service that supports making payments by email. I'm reluctant to use a debit card for anything because of the relative lack of consumer protections, especially for something like Square Cash.
rayout

Re: Electronic rent payments

Post by rayout »

Chase quick pay is what I use. Can be annoying to set up for those who do not bank with Chase. I have two roommates, one prefers to use Chase Quick Pay (he banks with a local credit union), the other prefers to pay by check.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Many banks support person to person electronic transfers. For example check out Capital One 360.

http://youtu.be/iOpZap6mxzA
denovo

Post by denovo »

rayout wrote:Chase quick pay is what I use. Can be annoying to set up for those who do not bank with Chase. I have two roommates, one prefers to use Chase Quick Pay (he banks with a local credit union), the other prefers to pay by check.
I have tenants who use QuikPay another that uses clearxchange.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Zabar

Post by Zabar »

For the past few years, I've had my bank do an automatic ACH transfer on the first business day of the month. No charge. No problems.
Topic Author
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

I have my checking account at Fidelity and my girlfriend uses Bank of America. I don't know of a way to do person-to-person transfers between these banks without a third party service. I suppose one of us could open another account elsewhere to facilitate the transfers, but that sounds like overkill.

I didn't realize it was possible to use ACH to transfer money to another person's account. No bank has ever given me this option.
TFinator

Post by TFinator »

Chase Quickpay is very easy. Wells Fargo does this as well.
PennySaved

Post by PennySaved »

You might look into using Serve http://www.serve.com Supposedly you can send and receive money between family and friends with Serve Accounts, although I have not used that function. You can use your credit card or bank debit card to load money and then use it to pay bills or send money to someone else. I use Serve to pay my mortgage by loading up Serve with $1000 per month using my Fidelity Amex card that gives me 2% back. The remainder of the mortgage amount from Serve comes from loading funds with my bank debit card. You are limited to loading $200 per day for a credit card or a debit card. I first found about Serve on a Flyertalk forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufact ... ments.html

The $1 monthly fee is waived when you use Direct Deposit or add $500 or more during your monthly statement period. And, there's no fee in NY, TX and VT.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I wonder if you could create a bluebird account and give her the atm card?
https://www.bluebird.com/?SOLID=%20BBSE ... em-branded
Mike
furwut

Post by furwut »

I have my checking account at Fidelity
I took a look at Fidelity Cash Management FAQ's
https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... move-money

This requirement, I think, prevents you linking your girl friends' account to yours:
At least one common name must match exactly between your Fidelity account and your bank account.

I've been paying rent to my girlfriend using Amazon Payments for several years.
Maybe it's time to take the next step in the relationship and open up a joint account for shared expenses?
coldaudio

Post by coldaudio »

My brother just recently sent me some money using Pop Money through Citibank... it worked well and the money showed up in 2-3 days.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Try Google Wallet: https://www.google.com/wallet/send-money/

free if you link to your bank account; there's a fee if you use a credit card.

BOA also lets you send/receive money to anyone with only a phone number or email address: https://www.bankofamerica.com/online-banking/mobile.go

Note: BOA link changed to open page
Last edited by heartwood on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogermexico

Post by rogermexico »

I'd second Popmoney, which is free for both sides of the transaction from many banks (e.g. Ally). The interface is often built-in to your bank's website (added security). I think you can set up recurring transactions as well Lots of major banks offer it.
Paypal Verified would be another free option, but both sides of the transaction would need to have checking account linked to paypal.
johnny847

Post by johnny847 »

Venmo may be viable for you, but I'm not sure what the limit on transaction amounts per month is. You can send money for free via debits cards or ACH drafts from your bank accounts.
Incidentally, you can use credit cards for a 3% fee, which if it is the only way for you to meet a minimum spend requirement for a credit card, is not a bad option.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

I used to have it set up so that every month a check would automatically be mailed to my roommate.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

Google Wallet and Venmo sound like good options. Thanks for those suggestions.