take the quiz--test your 401(k) knowledge

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
arcticpineapplecorp.

take the quiz--test your 401(k) knowledge

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Take the quiz--"Prepared to retire, Test your 401(k) knowledge". Yes, it's cnbc...but I thought it wasn't a bad little quiz. How well did you do?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101944408
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
jane1

Re: take the quiz--test your 401(k) knowledge

Post by jane1 »

11/12

Got the target fund asset allocation answer wrong. I used age in bonds.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

11/12

If I'd had my old BA 35 calculator for the 401k percentage question, I'd have nailed it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Sigh... 11/12 but only because, on question #9, my aging brain read "$50,000" and my fingers typed "$15,000" into the spreadsheet. I was all set to post complaining that the stated answer was wrong.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I missed the math question. Also, I don't think Buffet's entire fortune is being invested 90/10. Most of it is going to charity in the form of Brk shares.
AviN

Post by AviN »

12/12 :D
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUGrad

Post by ASUGrad »

12/12

I did use a financial calculator on my phone to double check my educated guess on the question that required math. I was right :D .

I could see the average person getting more than a few wrong.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

12/12. Meh test.
I know nothing!
Zabar

Post by Zabar »

11/12.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

11/12, missed the "in today's dollars" in the 401k calculator question. But I call shenanigans because they didn't define the assumed rate of inflation :D
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

ajcp wrote:11/12, missed the "in today's dollars" in the 401k calculator question. But I call shenanigans because they didn't define the assumed rate of inflation :D
Oh, I agree. That question was terrible. And even these days when nobody thinks of Samuel Gompers on Labor Day, whose salary stays the same number of dollars for 35 years?

I converted "fifty" to a voice in my head, and the awfulness of the question created so much cognitive noise I couldn't hear myself think and mis-heard it as "fifteen!"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

12/12 but I don't think it means much. The math question assumed a lot, but by taking it literally I and my trusty financial calculator with TVM functions, a change sign key, and a divided by key made short shrift. The larger problem was several questions merely concerned what a former professor of mine termed "nickel knowledge," that is, you put a nickel in the slot and a piece of knowledge comes out. If somebody didn't happen to know that one individual fact they'd have been called wrong; but not knowing some specific, like for example the particular percentages Buffet suggested, doesn't disqualify anybody from taking over the AARP and Social Security Administration, as the punchline at the end suggested I should; and knowing doesn't qualify them.

It's a joke, a foolishness, a fad, a fop, a nothing. It's from CNBC. But I repeat myself.

PJW