ATM did not dispense cash but account was debited

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ahmadcpa

ATM did not dispense cash but account was debited

Post by ahmadcpa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 am

Hello,

I just happen to be in need of cash last night so I stopped by the first ATM machine on my way which happen to be a local credit union. I attempted to withdraw $400 from the ATM which got stuck for about 30 seconds displaying "Please wait while we dispense your cash". The machine then says your transaction could not be completed. I attempted again to no avail. Stopped by my regular bank and got my cash out. Tonight, I check my bank account to see a debit from that credit union for the cash that I never received.

What would be the course of action in this situation?

dumbbunny

Re: ATM did not dispense cash but account was debited

Post by dumbbunny » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:34 am

This happened to me and I went inside to the bank and spoke to the teller.
I gave them all the facts and they gave a report to the bank IT person.
The IT person reconciled the money in the ATM vs withdrawals/deposits.
The bank found the ATM was at fault and credited my account.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:58 am

Call them.This also happened to me, bank corrected it quickly.Don't most atm's have cameras also?

John

yosef

Post by yosef » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am

Yeah, this should be easy to resolve. You're probably not the only person this happened to and the ATM will be out of balance. Just contact the bank.

BigPrince

Post by BigPrince » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Contact them. They can check the balance of atm vs what it payed out and reconcile any discrepancy.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:44 pm

This happened to me as well. To make matters worse when this happened I was in China. I saved the paper receipt from the Chinese ATM and when I got home I contacted my credit union. They told me that they'd look into it and within a few days the money was refunded to my account.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Happened to me too. Tell them. When they attempt to reconcile the transaction records to cash remaining in the ATM they will be $400 off. Then they will think of you.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Abe

Post by Abe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:53 pm

You could write on a piece of paper the following: "This ATM just shorted me $400" along with your name and phone number and hold it up to the camera. I guess you could also drop the same note in their drop box. I am assuming they were closed. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:36 am

I'm actually amazed at how reliable ATMs are as compared to other "vending machines". In 35 years I have never been cheated (or overpaid) by one.

OTOH, my local grocery score had one change dispenser that would frequently short me by a dime or a quarter. The clerks would just shrug and give me the difference. Not sure if they ever fixed it, since I switched to paying by gift card instead.