Why no transaction alerts from Vanguard/others?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Browser

Why no transaction alerts from Vanguard/others?

Post by Browser »

I have recently been setting up email and cellphone alerts for my bank and credit card accounts. Every time there is a deposit or debit I get an immediate alert, which allows me to keep close tabs on any fraudulent activity. Why is it that Vanguard and other financial organizations don't seem to offer this service? I think it would be a great enhancement to the security of my financial accounts. Are there technical or other substantive reasons they don't do this or are they just lazy?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
toto238

Re: Why no transaction alerts from Vanguard/others?

Post by toto238 »

I get an email every time a transaction occurs on my Vanguard account. So whenever anything happens in my Vanguard account, my smartphone goes "BEEP!" and I check it.

I dunno, that's pretty immediate to me.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Vanguard emails me each time I make a financial transaction or any other kind of change to my account.
Gordon
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

gkaplan wrote:Vanguard emails me each time I make a financial transaction or any other kind of change to my account.
Me too.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Browser:

Are you sure you are not alerted by Vanguard? I am alerted, and have been for many years.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
PS241

Post by PS241 »

Me three. I guess you need to setup your account differently.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Me four, by emails. I wouldn't want and therefore haven't explored whether or not they offer text messages.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I get emails from Vanguard and Fidelity for every transaction. Just had an email this morning.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Did you have to set up the alert emails for your Vanguard accounts? I have never gotten any.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

For clarity, what accounts are you getting alerts for and at what point in the transaction?

I do get emails, but only for my Advantage brokerage account billpay account. I get alerts that "you have a new bill waiting", and on recurring payments that "your payment to XXX" has been mailed or scheduled.

I don't recall ever getting one that a transaction has cleared or completed. I called Vanguard just now and asked them. They checked both the fund and the brokerage sides and said they do not offer alerts for checks clearing.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I would like a text only for
1. new purchases (not from dividends)
2. ANY withdrawals or transfers
3. any password/login changes
4. each time there is access of my account

The rest of the alerts I would like through regular email.
I have not been able to see how to have the above through texts.
Those represent potential emergencies. My banks do this already
(as well as most of my c.c.).
snooks

Post by snooks »

I am not receiving any email alerts either. For example, just this morning I changed my password. I have not received any notice of this change. The only place I see on the Vanguard site to select email preferences is the "Customize your mail delivery preferences" page, and this only applies to confirmations, statements, etc., not real time alerts.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

snooks wrote:I am not receiving any email alerts either. For example, just this morning I changed my password. I have not received any notice of this change. The only place I see on the Vanguard site to select email preferences is the "Customize your mail delivery preferences" page, and this only applies to confirmations, statements, etc., not real time alerts.
That's all I see too. Don't know what the other posters are talking about. All I ever get are emails that my monthly statement is available, etc. No alerts for withdrawals or deposits. I can set these up for my bank accounts, so why are they not available for my IRA accounts at Vanguard (or my accounts at TIAA-CREF either)? Much more money at risk than in my bank accounts. Security should be a much higher priority at these firms than it is, IMO.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I misstated my post above.

I only get emails of confirmations.

Maybe the folks that get email notices of trades are talking about VBS accounts and you're talking about accounts in the mutual fund company?

That's what I have.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Steelersfan wrote:I misstated my post above.

I only get emails of confirmations.

Maybe the folks that get email notices of trades are talking about VBS accounts and you're talking about accounts in the mutual fund company?

That's what I have.
I only hold mutual funds in my Vanguard accounts. And yes, I get an email every time a confirmation is available to view online. This tells me a transaction has occured. I've had it occur in the past that transactions occured incorrectly. I simply called in, and within a few days the transaction was changed to exactly the way it was supposed to be. For Vanguard mutual funds, it's pretty easy for them to fix mistakes in-house. Brokerage transaction I imagine are probably much more complex. One more reason I don't mess with brokerage transactions.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

I got email about my last password change the same day. I got a transaction confirmation the next day recently.

Not sure how I set this up, been a long time.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

tadamsmar wrote:I got email about my last password change the same day. I got a transaction confirmation the next day recently.
Me as well. Next day works perfectly well for me. I also use an app that consolidates all my financial accounts that I check every single day. It makes me aware of any large transactions that occurred. Awareness and common sense is the best security measure.