Real Estate Prices By Region

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jcman01

Real Estate Prices By Region

Post by jcman01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:21 am

I am nearing retirement (late 50's) and considering relocating from a major metropolitan area in the East. I tend to gravitate towards the SW. I might consider Florida, but a bit muggy for me.

But my question is if anyone knows of a site that lists real estate prices by SMSA or other regional measure?

I tried googling around, and found some interesting places, but I would find it helpful to pick a place, and find where it falls on a price index.

For example, is Tuscon, AZ expensive compared to other places? I googled and found that McAllen, TX is one of the cheapest places to live, but I am worried that it could be that way for a reason. I've never been to McAllen, so I don't know.

How can I find out where <Town or City> falls on a price scale in relation to other places?

Thanks for any input.

Nestegg_User

Re: Real Estate Prices By Region

Post by Nestegg_User » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 am

You might try "Trulia" and "Zillow" and look at the houses... remember that there is likely a wide variety of houses available in some areas, others might be fairly uniform.... without looking at specifics it is likely difficult to know. That and you can see if the housing stock is what you might want to even consider.
For us, having visited every state, we started considering WHAT we wanted to go TO, what type of location, etc. and started eliminating areas using that criteria (culture, weather, costs, etc.). Once down to a few, we visited to reduce to THE area... and have visited numerous times, in different times of the year to insure it still appealed to us. ONLY THEN, were we looking at specific houses... (still have to find it, and have only a year until the plug is pulled here. We were relo'd to current location place by MegaCorp so don't have any ties to staying here.) For us, Taxes were fairly far down the list as far as criteria...

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:21 am

Redfin is another one. I live in the Phoenix area and spent a lot time in Arizona and then the Phoenix area nailing down where I wanted to retire.
Steve | Semper Fi

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 am

Sbashore wrote:Redfin is another one. I live in the Phoenix area and spent a lot time in Arizona and then the Phoenix area nailing down where I wanted to retire.
+1. If your target area is supported by RedFin, I would highly recommend their site. very easy to use and updated daily. much better than zillow/trulia.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Looking for a retirement place would be a good activity for the first few years of retirement. The careful planning that got you to retirement causes you to want to stay far ahead on planning.

jcman01

Post by jcman01 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Just what I needed. Thanks.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:52 pm

If by muggy, you mean humid (referring to Florida, most of Texas is really humid). Depending on what part of the East you are from, you may not be a fan of Texas.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

assumer

Post by assumer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm

http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/

Change the radio button to "Sale Price / Sqrt" for a good metric to look at.

burt

Post by burt » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:00 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Sbashore wrote:Redfin is another one. I live in the Phoenix area and spent a lot time in Arizona and then the Phoenix area nailing down where I wanted to retire.
+1. If your target area is supported by RedFin, I would highly recommend their site. very easy to use and updated daily. much better than zillow/trulia.
RedFin doesn't work in the Houston area.

burt