Flexible PT jobs with potential: any ideas?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BobStrauss

Flexible PT jobs with potential: any ideas?

Post by BobStrauss »

I'm currently working in a federal position that provides great benefits and ample opportunity for temporary overseas assignments - something I value highly. Still, my day-to-day job feels like just that, a job, and the position I am in is quite limited with regard to salary. It also fails to utilize many of my interests and strengths: computers, finance, entrepreneurship, strategic planning, efficiency, writing, etc. Ideally I would like to earn more money and challenge myself in different ways, because I know that I am absolutely capable.

I've thought for years about changing positions, but I have come to the conclusion that I am quite happy where I am located, and that I would always regret turning my back on the benefits I mentioned earlier. There is no real "perfect position" for me. Rather, I am now thinking that taking on a part-time position or entrepreneurial activity would be best, and give me that potential for fulfillment and added income. Thing is, it would have to be something I could even do by distance, as I may be out of the country on assignments for up to three months at a time.

Has anyone here been in a similar position, or have any words of wisdom to share? Right now I'm looking into all sorts of ideas - tax prep, coding, starting an online business of some sort, even welding. A somewhat interesting distraction that could max out a traditional IRA each year would be a great start.
bloom2708

Re: Flexible PT jobs with potential: any ideas?

Post by bloom2708 »

One idea would be to start a blog. Pick something you think you might enjoy. Post about it. Research it. Find others interested in it. It would give you a chance to build some skills on the side.

Kraig Mathias has a course to get a blog up and running very quickly. Highly recommended.

http://www.createmyindependence.com/lets-work-together

http://www.createmyindependence.com/webinar