Speyburn Whisky

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
blood_donor

Speyburn Whisky

Post by blood_donor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:22 pm

I picked up a bottle of Speyburn 10 year single malt, as it came with a $3 rebate coupon. Couldn't resist a value play!

I usually buy good quality blends like Chivas and Famous Grouse. So far, I like it. It is a little light (color and flavor) but has a good, clean taste.

What do you Scotch experts think?

scotchman

Re: Speyburn Whisky

Post by scotchman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 am

blood_donor wrote:I picked up a bottle of Speyburn 10 year single malt, as it came with a $3 rebate coupon. Couldn't resist a value play!

I usually buy good quality blends like Chivas and Famous Grouse. So far, I like it. It is a little light (color and flavor) but has a good, clean taste.

What do you Scotch experts think?
Never tried Speyburn 10 yr Sgl Malt. My favorite was/is still glenfiddich 12 yr sgl malt as it is the #1 Single Malt in the world as Glenlivet 12 yr is the
#1 scotch in the U.S. Having access to the tasting room I have tasted many different brands (I worked for the company that imported the G/F-)
My disclaimer but I drank scotch for over 40 years.-------- :lol:
Save early, save long, and you will enjoy life!

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:16 am

My wife buys a bottle every Christmas as my single malt whisky. She won't buy my favorite $35-70 ones that I like. I don't really mind. Speyburn is one I don't mind adding over the rocks. Truthfully, it is not really better than one of the blended scothes like Chevas Regal or Johnny Walker.
Jim
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:38 am

I like Lagavulin by far - but most people don't as it's as 'peaty' as you will find. My wife's favorite is Balvenie (Double Wood 12) and she usually drinks Macallan 12 (18 is better but too pricey for everyday) when we're out (more commonly available than Balvenie). We both started with Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and they're good, but just too mild for our tastes.

We've tried quite a few, but not Speyburn. Like most things, your choice is very much an individual thing. Most avid single malt drinkers dislike my favorite...and that's fine.
You only live once...