Erie Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
faltuk1

Erie Insurance

Post by faltuk1 »

I am getting best quotes for my insurance needs (home, auto , umbrella) from Erie Insurance. Anybody used them and any feedback?

The quote I got states "Personal Catastrophe Liability Quote". Is this same as umbrella?
Steelersfan

Re: Erie Insurance

Post by Steelersfan »

Yes, "Personal Catastrophe Liability" is what they call their umbrella product.

I have had my homeowners insurance with them for many years. Early this year I moved my auto insurance to them and added an umbrella policy.

They're an excellent company.
Topic Author
faltuk1

Post by faltuk1 »

Thanks!!

I have increased Sewer backup and sum pump coverage from $5000 to $25000. This itself added $186 to the premium. Is this coverage worth it?
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Is Erie sold through local agents? If so, will pricing for same coverage differ between local agents? Do they have any type of rebates to various coverage after the contract year ends? Just curious when making comparison between current company costs and Erie's proposed cost.
Tom D.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I had Erie auto for decades, never saw any rebate, and I don't believe you'd get different quotes from different agents on the same policy.

I just moved our auto from Erie to another company to combine with other policies to save a few hundred a year. I would have loved to consolidate everything with Erie as they treated us great, but they wouldn't take our home insurance without changes to how our woodburning stove is installed. No hard feelings as they are a conservative company, but it wasn't worth the expense to change it.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

I have these guys. First time ever an insurance company email me pictures of my house saying "This needs to be fixed" (ie cut tree limbs etc). They don't play games but they took my pellet stove with no issues.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I have had them since I was 16. Never had any problems with them, had to file a few claims on both sides of the transaction. No issues.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

My parents picked them in the late 70s based on Consumer Reports ratings of satisfaction for claims. They've had them ever sense.

We've had them for car and home since 2003 or so and have been happy. When our basement flooded from sewer backup (along with 5,000 other homes) they had an agent from another state to our house in about 5 days, she took a few photos, asked a few simply questions, and had a check for the max of $10K in our mailbox the next day.

Other neighbors waited longer, had more documentation, etc. on average.