Share your net worth progression

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
alexL
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by alexL »

For reference, here is the latest professional study for the retirement savings by age:

https://dqydj.com/retirement-savings-by-age/

Image

Image

Most people on this forum are definitely well beyond median numbers. The website provides a calculator to calculate your percentile.

Age Group | Median Retirement Savings | Alternative Definition
18-24 $0.00 $1,010.00
25-29 $0.00 $3,100.00
30-34 $2,000.00 $10,700.00
35-39 $2,500.00 $11,000.00
40-44 $6,950.00 $22,000.00
45-49 $10,000.00 $23,580.00
50-54 $10,000.00 $24,000.00
55-59 $15,000.00 $31,000.00
60-64 $2,000.00 $32,550.00
65-69 $0.00 $28,000.00
70-74 $0.00 $40,000.00
75-79 $0.00 $32,500.00
80+ $0.00 $25,000.00
MrJones
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by MrJones »

Katara wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 pm Happy New Year!

Year - Age - Net Worth - Salary
2019 - 22 - $8,100 - $12,100*
2020 - 23 - $75,800 - $89,200

I like the idea of tracking and updating here annually. I'm most inspired by the more "average-earner" progressions since I'm not in a high-paying career, but it's also nice to see the progression of the high earners.

* Graduated college in May 2019 and started first RN job in Oct 2019
That is a really solid start for that age, both with the savings and with your awareness. If you keep the saving and tracking going steadily, you will be surprised to find your NW exceeding a majority of those in "high paying careers."
kcxie
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by kcxie »

MrJones wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:46 am
Katara wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 pm Happy New Year!

Year - Age - Net Worth - Salary
2019 - 22 - $8,100 - $12,100*
2020 - 23 - $75,800 - $89,200

I like the idea of tracking and updating here annually. I'm most inspired by the more "average-earner" progressions since I'm not in a high-paying career, but it's also nice to see the progression of the high earners.

* Graduated college in May 2019 and started first RN job in Oct 2019
That is a really solid start for that age, both with the savings and with your awareness. If you keep the saving and tracking going steadily, you will be surprised to find your NW exceeding a majority of those in "high paying careers."
at age 23 with networth $75,800! awesome job!
congratualtion! you should feel rich at this level!
Keep up the good work, I wish I have those kind of money at that age :D
User avatar
dziuniek
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: C0rrupticut

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by dziuniek »

dziuniek wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:23 am Annual Update:

Age Year Net-Worth
26 2011 $(20,000.00)
27 2012 $(10,000.00)
28 2013 $(40,000.00)
29 2014 $(15,000.00)
30 2015 $26,500.00
31 2016 $94,000.00
32 2017 $147,500.00
33 2018 $182,500.00
34 2019 $248,000.00
35 2020 $322,000.00

Great year for us!
mmcmonster
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by mmcmonster »

alexL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 am For reference, here is the latest professional study for the retirement savings by age:

[...]

Age Group | Median Retirement Savings | Alternative Definition
18-24 $0.00 $1,010.00
25-29 $0.00 $3,100.00
30-34 $2,000.00 $10,700.00
35-39 $2,500.00 $11,000.00
40-44 $6,950.00 $22,000.00
45-49 $10,000.00 $23,580.00
50-54 $10,000.00 $24,000.00
55-59 $15,000.00 $31,000.00
60-64 $2,000.00 $32,550.00
65-69 $0.00 $28,000.00
70-74 $0.00 $40,000.00
75-79 $0.00 $32,500.00
80+ $0.00 $25,000.00
Thank you for those numbers. I was doing similar lookups recently.

One question: I saw a total net worth for the top 1 percent being just over 10million. That doesn't seem to fit your charts.

Are your numbers just amounts saved in tax deferred retirement accounts?
Wricha
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Wricha »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:52 am
alexL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 am For reference, here is the latest professional study for the retirement savings by age:

[...]

Age Group | Median Retirement Savings | Alternative Definition
18-24 $0.00 $1,010.00
25-29 $0.00 $3,100.00
30-34 $2,000.00 $10,700.00
35-39 $2,500.00 $11,000.00
40-44 $6,950.00 $22,000.00
45-49 $10,000.00 $23,580.00
50-54 $10,000.00 $24,000.00
55-59 $15,000.00 $31,000.00
60-64 $2,000.00 $32,550.00
65-69 $0.00 $28,000.00
70-74 $0.00 $40,000.00
75-79 $0.00 $32,500.00
80+ $0.00 $25,000.00
Thank you for those numbers. I was doing similar lookups recently.

One question: I saw a total net worth for the top 1 percent being just over 10million. That doesn't seem to fit your charts.

Are your numbers just amounts saved in tax deferred retirement accounts?

What is the top 1% household net worth by age

To be top 1% in 2020, a household needed a net worth of $11,099,166. $10,374,030 was the 1% threshold in 2017.

Age Top 1% Net Worth
18-24 $435,076.59
25-29 $606,188.36
30-34 $956,944.74
35-39 $4,034,486.45
40-44 $7,909,636.79
45-49 $10,494,100.10
50-54 $13,524,093.87
55-59 $17,545,848.60
60-64 $14,629,637.13
65-69 $16,439,046.11
70-74 $12,625,305.04
75-79 $12,770,142.25
80+ $9,932,353.20

https://dqydj.com/average-median-top-ne ... es-by-age/
mmcmonster
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by mmcmonster »

Wricha wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:23 amWhat is the top 1% household net worth by age

To be top 1% in 2020, a household needed a net worth of $11,099,166. $10,374,030 was the 1% threshold in 2017.

Age Top 1% Net Worth
18-24 $435,076.59
25-29 $606,188.36
30-34 $956,944.74
35-39 $4,034,486.45
40-44 $7,909,636.79
45-49 $10,494,100.10
50-54 $13,524,093.87
55-59 $17,545,848.60
60-64 $14,629,637.13
65-69 $16,439,046.11
70-74 $12,625,305.04
75-79 $12,770,142.25
80+ $9,932,353.20

https://dqydj.com/average-median-top-ne ... es-by-age/
Just when I thought I was doing quite well. :oops:

Who are these people that have >$10M at age 50. I can't believe that 1 percent of the population are trust fund recipients, movie stars, and professional athletes.

What are the demographics of the top 1 percent net worth? Mostly lawyers and physicians? Very successful small business owners?
ponyboy
Posts: 1036
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by ponyboy »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:00 am
Wricha wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:23 amWhat is the top 1% household net worth by age

To be top 1% in 2020, a household needed a net worth of $11,099,166. $10,374,030 was the 1% threshold in 2017.

Age Top 1% Net Worth
18-24 $435,076.59
25-29 $606,188.36
30-34 $956,944.74
35-39 $4,034,486.45
40-44 $7,909,636.79
45-49 $10,494,100.10
50-54 $13,524,093.87
55-59 $17,545,848.60
60-64 $14,629,637.13
65-69 $16,439,046.11
70-74 $12,625,305.04
75-79 $12,770,142.25
80+ $9,932,353.20

https://dqydj.com/average-median-top-ne ... es-by-age/
Just when I thought I was doing quite well. :oops:

Who are these people that have >$10M at age 50. I can't believe that 1 percent of the population are trust fund recipients, movie stars, and professional athletes.

What are the demographics of the top 1 percent net worth? Mostly lawyers and physicians? Very successful small business owners?
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Everyone is different. Everyone catches different breaks in life. People get lucky. People work extremely hard. Some people inherit money. There is no one size fits all. The only thing you can do is focus on yourself.
bugleheadd
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:25 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by bugleheadd »

havent really kept track of my net worth in previous years
i started consolidating everything into fidelity last year
i like fidelity created a "performance" tab which tracks results

end of year balance
2019 - 430k
2020 - 720k

hope for another similar percentage gain this year
jharkin
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by jharkin »

First time I ever though to post here so I took a look. Getting awfully close to that first big milestome.....

Code: Select all

Year		age		income 	NW			Notes
2000		24		45k		negative		single, lots of student debt
2005		29		65k		35k			single, still burning down debt and supporting parents
2010		34		180k		175k			married, dual income
2015		39		140k		400k			young children, single income
2020		44		225k		970k			back to dual income, retired all non-mortgage debt
Katara
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Katara »

kcxie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:12 am
MrJones wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:46 am
Katara wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 pm Happy New Year!

Year - Age - Net Worth - Salary
2019 - 22 - $8,100 - $12,100*
2020 - 23 - $75,800 - $89,200

I like the idea of tracking and updating here annually. I'm most inspired by the more "average-earner" progressions since I'm not in a high-paying career, but it's also nice to see the progression of the high earners.

* Graduated college in May 2019 and started first RN job in Oct 2019
That is a really solid start for that age, both with the savings and with your awareness. If you keep the saving and tracking going steadily, you will be surprised to find your NW exceeding a majority of those in "high paying careers."
at age 23 with networth $75,800! awesome job!
congratualtion! you should feel rich at this level!
Keep up the good work, I wish I have those kind of money at that age :D
mighty72 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:33 pm
Katara wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 pm Happy New Year!

Year - Age - Net Worth - Salary
2019 - 22 - $8,100 - $12,100*
2020 - 23 - $75,800 - $89,200

I like the idea of tracking and updating here annually. I'm most inspired by the more "average-earner" progressions since I'm not in a high-paying career, but it's also nice to see the progression of the high earners.

* Graduated college in May 2019 and started first RN job in Oct 2019
Congrats on being in the positive at 23. You have started way earlier than most to track your NW. Just being aware gives you an edge. Hope to see many more updates.
Thanks for your service as a RN. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Thanks kcxie, MrJones and mighty72!

kcxie, I feel like it's a crazy amount of money, until I come here and see some of the numbers, but I keep it in perspective. COVID pandemic derailed my plans to move out this past summer so I guess the silver lining is that I continue to live in my parents house and save most of my paycheck.

MrJones, I'm hoping to continue the savings and tracking. I might not be making a much higher rate of pay, and if I switch from working nights to days, I will actually be taking a pay cut, so I'm trying to save as much as possible now and start good habits.

mighty72, I really appreciate the support. Starting only a few months before COVID hit has been tough and there have been many times I've questioned my career choice.
"I will never, ever turn my back on people who need me."
sofarsogood
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by sofarsogood »

sofarsogood wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:05 pm Moved to the US 1999
Had a fulfilling IT career
DW works part time, 1 child.
L(Way)BYM
Saved and invested aggressively
Buy and hold, think long term, don't time the market, watch the fees, index... index... index...
Driving same 2001 Honda
Annual combined income in 2017 was $190k
Married 25 years, lived in the same house since 2002
DD graduated college last year and gainfully employed. College fees paid through 529 and scholarships.

Amounts in 000 and year end values (include tax deferred, roth ira, brokerage, bank accounts - exclude principal residence and employer pensions)

2005 $561 (age 45)
2006 $708
2007 $880
2008 $560
2009 $857
2010 $1,047 (age 50, paid off mortgage, debt free)
2011 $1,025
2012 $1,242
2013 $1,585
2014 $1,835
2015 $1,862
2016 $2,162
2017 $2,627
2018 $2,700 (retired and stopped all tax deferred retirement contributions)
2019 $3,386 (received an inheritance)
2020 hopeful to close at $4,000 by year end

Thank you Bogleheads...
Update: Balance as of Dec 31, 2020 $4,011,246.30
User avatar
calvin+hobbes
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by calvin+hobbes »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:00 am
Wricha wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:23 amWhat is the top 1% household net worth by age

To be top 1% in 2020, a household needed a net worth of $11,099,166. $10,374,030 was the 1% threshold in 2017.

Age Top 1% Net Worth
18-24 $435,076.59
25-29 $606,188.36
30-34 $956,944.74
35-39 $4,034,486.45
40-44 $7,909,636.79
45-49 $10,494,100.10
50-54 $13,524,093.87
55-59 $17,545,848.60
60-64 $14,629,637.13
65-69 $16,439,046.11
70-74 $12,625,305.04
75-79 $12,770,142.25
80+ $9,932,353.20

https://dqydj.com/average-median-top-ne ... es-by-age/
Just when I thought I was doing quite well. :oops:

Who are these people that have >$10M at age 50. I can't believe that 1 percent of the population are trust fund recipients, movie stars, and professional athletes.

What are the demographics of the top 1 percent net worth? Mostly lawyers and physicians? Very successful small business owners?
Definitely not physicians. Physicians are high earners but don’t start getting those wages until their early or mid 30s, and then they start battling six figure student loans, a decade of delayed gratification and the idea that they need to get that doctor house and doctor car once they’ve “made it.” There are certainly highly successful entrepreneurial physicians, often busy practice owners but it doesn’t turn out pretty for many.

Recent survey from medscape reports half of all physicians have NW under 1 mil while 60% are putting less than 24k/yr in to tax deferred space and 74% are putting less than 24k/yr in to taxable accounts. Medscape isn’t perfect but you get the idea.

https://www.medscape.com/slideshow/2020 ... th-6012988
angelescrest
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: MCOL, no state income tax

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by angelescrest »

ponyboy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:09 am Comparison is the thief of joy.

Everyone is different. Everyone catches different breaks in life. People get lucky. People work extremely hard. Some people inherit money. There is no one size fits all. The only thing you can do is focus on yourself.
Great argument to not be reading this thread.
formerlybroke
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by formerlybroke »

mighty72 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:33 pm
Katara wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 pm Happy New Year!

Year - Age - Net Worth - Salary
2019 - 22 - $8,100 - $12,100*
2020 - 23 - $75,800 - $89,200

I like the idea of tracking and updating here annually. I'm most inspired by the more "average-earner" progressions since I'm not in a high-paying career, but it's also nice to see the progression of the high earners.

* Graduated college in May 2019 and started first RN job in Oct 2019
Congrats on being in the positive at 23. You have started way earlier than most to track your NW. Just being aware gives you an edge. Hope to see many more updates.
Thanks for your service as a RN. Good luck and Happy New Year!
Starting successful investing journey so young = +1
Serving as RN in the face of today’s issues = +1
Math not being my strong-suit: (+1) + (+1) = +3 8-)
formerlybroke
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by formerlybroke »

foamypirate wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:41 pm 31, single income, 2 kids.

Feel pretty good about our NW increase this year, since we bought a house w/ acreage, and there was a lot of capital expended on new tools and equipment to maintain the property.

2017 - $162,984
2018 - $213,642
2019 - $289,308
2020 - $383,954
At 31? Yeah, you should feel good! Keep up the great work. :sharebeer
formerlybroke
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by formerlybroke »

Crawdad wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:43 pm 1976 $0.00
Literally, we spent our last dollar on drinks on our way home from our honeymoon.
40 years with the same company.
Low level manager.
Frugal.
Generous.
Reliable investor: 70/30 S&P 500/GNMA all the way.
Raised two boys and paid for their college.
2020 $3.2 million
Simple (not easy) story of success. :beer
formerlybroke
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by formerlybroke »

redstar wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:20 am Dates posted below as start of year, with my age (wife is a bit younger). Net worth is joint and include home/car values/loans when applicable.

2016, age 22 | -12.000 (I started grad school, wife in undergrad)
2017, age 23 | 24,500 (wife graduated, started working)
2018, age 24 | 331,000 (lucky trade created a windfall, I found bogleheads)
2019, age 25 | 360,000 (we bought a house)
2020, age 26 | 537,000
2021, age 27| 854,000 (we married, I graduated and started working)
What an awesome start to an investing career! :beer
IHaveQuestions
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by IHaveQuestions »

IHaveQuestions wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:15 am
IHaveQuestions wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:52 pm Went through and created a net worth statement for the boss and I...thought it important since we are buying our first house right now.
34(me)/30(her) 150k income HCOL area. So net worth excludes any home equity for now....

2019: 167k
2020: 215k (35/31 185-190k Income) - Bought first house in January...lot of out of pocket expenses to purchase, etc.
Updating since just did end of year NW Statement:
8/2019 - 167k
8/2020 - 215k
1/2021 - 265k
Last edited by IHaveQuestions on Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbasherp
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by mbasherp »

36/37, current combined gross income ~$121k in MCOL. Income has varied between us but ended up consistent $115k-125k combined. Our 20's were mostly unproductive in a financial sense.

Year end:
2013- (23,000)
2014- 7,000
2015- 51,000
2016- 110,000 (first home)
2017- 199,000 (paid off student loans, great market and RE returns)
2018- 336,000 (95k inheritance during a poor market year)
2019- 435,000 (feels like we settled into a pace)
2020- 567,000

We were amazed to pass 500k, which seemed so far away just a few years ago. This has been a rough year for one of our incomes and it was a nice boost to see this progress despite that. Next goal is to break 1 million NW by 41 or before!
hmw
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Share your networth progression

Post by hmw »

hmw wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:58 am
hmw wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm
hmw wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:56 pm
hmw wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:55 am
hmw wrote:I didn't start keeping good records until recently.

Started my 1st real high paying job in March 2009 at age 34 after many years of training. I think I had 100k in 2009.

I have no detailed records between 2009 to 2012. We saved and invested in a combination of index funds and individual stocks.

12/31/2013 1 million
12/31/2014 1.55 million
5/2015 1.78 million
Update

12/31/2015. 1.84 million
12/31/2016. 2.45 million
02/2017. 2.6 million
Update

12/31/2017. 3.40 million
update

12/31/2018 3.74 million
update

12/31/2019 5.24 million
Update

12/31/2020 6.58 million
slalom
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:59 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by slalom »

alexL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 am For reference, here is the latest professional study for the retirement savings by age:
So just to confirm, this study is household not single person?

Makes a huge difference especially for two professionals..
alexL
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by alexL »

jharkin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 am First time I ever though to post here so I took a look. Getting awfully close to that first big milestome.....

Code: Select all

Year		age		income 	NW			Notes
2000		24		45k		negative		single, lots of student debt
2005		29		65k		35k			single, still burning down debt and supporting parents
2010		34		180k		175k			married, dual income
2015		39		140k		400k			young children, single income
2020		44		225k		970k			back to dual income, retired all non-mortgage debt
Congratulations to your huge boost of NW!
alexL
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by alexL »

sofarsogood wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 am
sofarsogood wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:05 pm Moved to the US 1999
Had a fulfilling IT career
DW works part time, 1 child.
L(Way)BYM
Saved and invested aggressively
Buy and hold, think long term, don't time the market, watch the fees, index... index... index...
Driving same 2001 Honda
Annual combined income in 2017 was $190k
Married 25 years, lived in the same house since 2002
DD graduated college last year and gainfully employed. College fees paid through 529 and scholarships.

Amounts in 000 and year end values (include tax deferred, roth ira, brokerage, bank accounts - exclude principal residence and employer pensions)

2005 $561 (age 45)
2006 $708
2007 $880
2008 $560
2009 $857
2010 $1,047 (age 50, paid off mortgage, debt free)
2011 $1,025
2012 $1,242
2013 $1,585
2014 $1,835
2015 $1,862
2016 $2,162
2017 $2,627
2018 $2,700 (retired and stopped all tax deferred retirement contributions)
2019 $3,386 (received an inheritance)
2020 hopeful to close at $4,000 by year end

Thank you Bogleheads...
Update: Balance as of Dec 31, 2020 $4,011,246.30
Congratulations to your 4M asset! What you have been doing is exactly the formula to wealthy. I will learn from you and keep practicing them.
Katoswims
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Katoswims »

Calculated on January 1 of every year. No accurate AA data until now. 25/55/20. Feel fortunate and grateful, but have no doubt that had I known about the BH site earlier, these numbers would be larger. This thread would have been (and still is) motivating to me.
1991-17k
1992-43k
1993-59K
1994-79k
1995-98k
1996-121k
1997-231k
1998-384k
1999-597k
2000-560k
2001-595k
2002-530k
2003-didn’t calculate for some reason
2004-684k
2005-762k
2006-825k
2007-1mil
2008-1.06mil
2009- 800k
2010-1.04mil
2011-1.37mil
2012-1.85mil
2013-1.97mil
2014-2.2mil
2015-2.377mil
2016-2.4mil
2017-2.7mil
2018-3mil
2019-3.8mil
2020-4.35mil
2021-5.29mil- currently 59yrs old, spouse 57
alexL
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by alexL »

slalom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:23 pm
alexL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 am For reference, here is the latest professional study for the retirement savings by age:
So just to confirm, this study is household not single person?

Makes a huge difference especially for two professionals..
I could not find clear clarification from the website. But I think by default is per household.
Normchad
Posts: 2005
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Normchad »

Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm Calculated on January 1 of every year. No accurate AA data until now. 25/55/20. Feel fortunate and grateful, but have no doubt that had I known about the BH site earlier, these numbers would be larger. This thread would have been (and still is) motivating to me.
1991-17k
1992-43k
1993-59K
1994-79k
1995-98k
1996-121k
1997-231k
1998-384k
1999-597k
2000-560k
2001-595k
2002-530k
2003-didn’t calculate for some reason
2004-684k
2005-762k
2006-825k
2007-1mil
2008-1.06mil
2009- 800k
2010-1.04mil
2011-1.37mil
2012-1.85mil
2013-1.97mil
2014-2.2mil
2015-2.377mil
2016-2.4mil
2017-2.7mil
2018-3mil
2019-3.8mil
2020-4.35mil
2021-5.29mil- currently 59yrs old, spouse 57
Congratulations! You are crushing it. I see a long track record here of diligence and steady progress, just the way it should be.
Wricha
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Wricha »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:00 am
Wricha wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:23 amWhat is the top 1% household net worth by age

To be top 1% in 2020, a household needed a net worth of $11,099,166. $10,374,030 was the 1% threshold in 2017.

Age Top 1% Net Worth
18-24 $435,076.59
25-29 $606,188.36
30-34 $956,944.74
35-39 $4,034,486.45
40-44 $7,909,636.79
45-49 $10,494,100.10
50-54 $13,524,093.87
55-59 $17,545,848.60
60-64 $14,629,637.13
65-69 $16,439,046.11
70-74 $12,625,305.04
75-79 $12,770,142.25
80+ $9,932,353.20

https://dqydj.com/average-median-top-ne ... es-by-age/
Just when I thought I was doing quite well. :oops:

Who are these people that have >$10M at age 50. I can't believe that 1 percent of the population are trust fund recipients, movie stars, and professional athletes.

What are the demographics of the top 1 percent net worth? Mostly lawyers and physicians? Very successful small business owners?
My guess they had an extraordinary event (real estate, small business sale, stock buyout, inheritance, marriage, side business etc). I worked very closely with 100’s of docs and quite a few lawyers (I am now retired) and less then 5 had $10M particularly by age 50 maybe 1. Wages are going up as evidenced by this board in the last 10 years.
cb122
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by cb122 »

Age| Year| Income| NW|
22-31| 2008-2017 | $35k-$65k | $0-$104k (Began .gov job and still there. Discovered Bogleheads EOY 2017 and made first post to help w/investments)
32 |2018 | $80k | $147k
33 |2019 | $86k | $215k
34 |2020 | $86k | $298k

Now somewhat on cruise control saving around 50% of income each year. Only step increases at work for the foreseeable future. Enjoying life outside of work these days.
Katoswims
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Katoswims »

Normchad wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm Calculated on January 1 of every year. No accurate AA data until now. 25/55/20. Feel fortunate and grateful, but have no doubt that had I known about the BH site earlier, these numbers would be larger. This thread would have been (and still is) motivating to me.
1991-17k
1992-43k
1993-59K
1994-79k
1995-98k
1996-121k
1997-231k
1998-384k
1999-597k
2000-560k
2001-595k
2002-530k
2003-didn’t calculate for some reason
2004-684k
2005-762k
2006-825k
2007-1mil
2008-1.06mil
2009- 800k
2010-1.04mil
2011-1.37mil
2012-1.85mil
2013-1.97mil
2014-2.2mil
2015-2.377mil
2016-2.4mil
2017-2.7mil
2018-3mil
2019-3.8mil
2020-4.35mil
2021-5.29mil- currently 59yrs old, spouse 57
Congratulations! You are crushing it. I see a long track record here of diligence and steady progress, just the way it should be.
Thanks !
Froginator
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:08 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Froginator »

First year totaling up my NW.
Year Age Salary NW
2020 27 $120k $340k Real Estate 38%, Retirement 26%, Cash & after tax brokerage 21%, Cars/vehicles 15%
sc9182
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by sc9182 »

Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:17 pm
Normchad wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm Calculated on January 1 of every year. No accurate AA data until now. 25/55/20. Feel fortunate and grateful, but have no doubt that had I known about the BH site earlier, these numbers would be larger. This thread would have been (and still is) motivating to me.
1991-17k
1992-43k
1993-59K
1994-79k
1995-98k
1996-121k
1997-231k
1998-384k
1999-597k
2000-560k
2001-595k
2002-530k
2003-didn’t calculate for some reason
2004-684k
2005-762k
2006-825k
2007-1mil
2008-1.06mil
2009- 800k
2010-1.04mil
2011-1.37mil
2012-1.85mil
2013-1.97mil
2014-2.2mil
2015-2.377mil
2016-2.4mil
2017-2.7mil
2018-3mil
2019-3.8mil
2020-4.35mil
2021-5.29mil- currently 59yrs old, spouse 57
Congratulations! You are crushing it. I see a long track record here of diligence and steady progress, just the way it should be.
Thanks !
Kudos on such disciplined record keeping; great saving, decent investing;

Over the last few years - appears you may have saved tremendously ($300k - $500k per year), amazing earnings and great savings!!

Would slightly higher stock/equity participation have helped reach this target number a bit sooner/higher ? (If you can stomach additional volatility!)

Great job overall!!
kcxie
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by kcxie »

Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:17 pm
Normchad wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm Calculated on January 1 of every year. No accurate AA data until now. 25/55/20. Feel fortunate and grateful, but have no doubt that had I known about the BH site earlier, these numbers would be larger. This thread would have been (and still is) motivating to me.
1991-17k
1992-43k
1993-59K
1994-79k
1995-98k
1996-121k
1997-231k
1998-384k
1999-597k
2000-560k
2001-595k
2002-530k
2003-didn’t calculate for some reason
2004-684k
2005-762k
2006-825k
2007-1mil
2008-1.06mil
2009- 800k
2010-1.04mil
2011-1.37mil
2012-1.85mil
2013-1.97mil
2014-2.2mil
2015-2.377mil
2016-2.4mil
2017-2.7mil
2018-3mil
2019-3.8mil
2020-4.35mil
2021-5.29mil- currently 59yrs old, spouse 57
Congratulations! You are crushing it. I see a long track record here of diligence and steady progress, just the way it should be.
Thanks !
Katoswim:
You increase roughly one million last year! congratulation!!
Is this mainly market return, or you also have a huge chunk of contributions?
either way, it is very impressive. Cheers for you!
e5116
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by e5116 »

Steady and consistent climb for me over the last 13+ years...Nothing like some others, but have increased salary (base + bonuses included) considerably in the last few years whereas it was fairly standard increases before. No individual high-flying stocks, just general saving and socking away in standard index funds approx 75% US/25% foreign with Small-Value tilt.

2007: $1k (age 22, graduated college got first job, had approx $20k in student loans and $21k in checking at year end)
2008: $27k (age 23, salary ~$60k)
2009: $62k (age 24, paid off all student loans)
2010: $156k (age 25, got married, JOINT net worth from here on, joint salary ~$100k)
2011: $189k (age 26)
2012: $235k (age 27, combined salary ~$117k)
2013: $330k (age 28)
2014: $423k (age 29, combined salary ~$160k)
2015: $539k (age 30, child #1 born, bought house which required a lot of maintenance to fix up, net worth includes approx home equity)
2016: $642k (age 31, combined salary ~$185k)
2017: $872k (age 32, combined salary ~$226k +$40k windfall)
2018: $879k (age 33, child #2 born, December dive in market hurt the year end figures, plus a lot of daycare costs with two)
2019: $1.15M (age 34, combined salary ~$300k)
2020: $1.45M (age 35, combined salary ~$340k)

I hope to follow the trajectory of some others above (market willing).
Double Chin Finn
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:52 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Double Chin Finn »

2014: $4,300 (Started last year of grad school...age 26)
2015: $17,000 (Graduated in June of that year and started working full time in September...age 27)
2016: $46,000 (age 28)
2017: $104,000 (age 29)
2018: $146,000 (age 30
2019: $223,000 (age 31)
2020: $323,000 (age 32)

I've been lucky to have continued to remain employed and also be given a pay raise and overtime hours for 2020. I hope that 2021 will be an improvement for all of us.
HonestMoney
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:01 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by HonestMoney »

2014: $1.022 million
2015: $1.006 million
2016: $.992 million
2017: $1.104 million
2018: $1.247 million
2019: $1.272 million
2020: $1.513 million
2021: $1.71 million as of today (57 years old)

Current figure does not include $500,000 in home equity. Earn $150,000/year and am very grateful.
GettingCloser
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by GettingCloser »

Year-end numbers start in 2012 (oldest data point is $567k in 4/2007)
2012: $1108k, age 47
2013: $1295k
2014: $1423k
2015: $1547k
2016: $1676k
2017: $1821k
2018: $1941k
2019: $2526k
2020: $2844k, age 55
Mues
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Mues »

Jan 17 (when I discovered bogleheads) also when I discovered I was having my first kid.

Age. Nw.
2017- 33 - 629,000
2018 - 34 - 881,590
2019 - 35 - 1,140,000 bought new house.
2020 - 36 - 1,163,000
2021 - 37 - 1,366,000

Have one house and one investment property (my old house we didn’t sell and now just rent out). NW is all assets minus debts. I have more real estate than most.

Actually had a couple tough breaks over the last couple of years. Basically lost out on 1m post tax income due to a business issue. Been a bitter pill to swallow. Now on a lower but still strong income. Better off than most. But that 1m with my current puts me very close to my number of 3.5m before my kids even reach high school.

Have had 2 kids in the last 3 odd years and wife will return back to work this year part time, getting household income back over 300k hopefully.

Looking to focus on getting more into my and my wife’s retirement funds and pay down debt over the next year.
Mues
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Mues »

GettingCloser wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:53 am Year-end numbers start in 2012 (oldest data point is $567k in 4/2007)
2012: $1108k, age 47
2013: $1295k
2014: $1423k
2015: $1547k
2016: $1676k
2017: $1821k
2018: $1941k
2019: $2526k
2020: $2844k, age 55

Is this mostly investment returns? Very strong boost in 8 years.
trusttheprocess
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by trusttheprocess »

trusttheprocess wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:37 pm Started keeping track in April of 2018...

April 2018 - $62,457.76
Dec. 2018 - $68,583.17
Dec. 2019 - $99,462.08
Update:

Jan. 2021 - $153,045.00
Katoswims
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Katoswims »

kcxie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:17 pm
Normchad wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Katoswims wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm Calculated on January 1 of every year. No accurate AA data until now. 25/55/20. Feel fortunate and grateful, but have no doubt that had I known about the BH site earlier, these numbers would be larger. This thread would have been (and still is) motivating to me.
1991-17k
1992-43k
1993-59K
1994-79k
1995-98k
1996-121k
1997-231k
1998-384k
1999-597k
2000-560k
2001-595k
2002-530k
2003-didn’t calculate for some reason
2004-684k
2005-762k
2006-825k
2007-1mil
2008-1.06mil
2009- 800k
2010-1.04mil
2011-1.37mil
2012-1.85mil
2013-1.97mil
2014-2.2mil
2015-2.377mil
2016-2.4mil
2017-2.7mil
2018-3mil
2019-3.8mil
2020-4.35mil
2021-5.29mil- currently 59yrs old, spouse 57
Congratulations! You are crushing it. I see a long track record here of diligence and steady progress, just the way it should be.
Thanks !
Katoswim:
You increase roughly one million last year! congratulation!!
Is this mainly market return, or you also have a huge chunk of contributions?
either way, it is very impressive. Cheers for you!
I had a pension lump sum pay out. I started counting the yearend cash value in 2019. I have have since taken the entire amount and am retired. This also includes a debt free 500k house. Wish it was all attributable to my investing prowess, but it was mainly just a function of working for the same company for almost 32yrs that offered great benefits. I tried to time the market too much. Saved money on the down side but left a ton on the upside.
Workinghard
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Workinghard »

First few years of marriage was spent getting spouse out of debt. Over 10 years of marriage was on a single income. There were only a few years where we hit $100k-$110K combined salary. No inheritance. All index funds. Retired in 2016, haven't withdrawn from retirement accounts due to making money on the side and SS starting. My husband will start getting his own SS next year at age 70. Still find it hard to believe that it can be done.

1995: 60K
1998: 200K
2000: 263K
2003: 272K
2004: Paid cash for home $200K
2005: 262K
2006: 302K
2007: 345K
2008: 375K
2009: 347K
2010: 383K
2011: 387K
2012: 409K
2013: 473K
2014: 576K
2015: 703K
2016: 773K (retired)
2017: 831K
2018: $1,203,443 (sold home)
2019: $1,135,501 (35K gifted for grandkid's college)
2020: $1,335,382
2021: 1,667,159 ($38K was pension)
NYCguy
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Share your networth progression

Post by NYCguy »

NYCguy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:09 pm
NYCguy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 pm 1993 age 28 -$80k student loan debt
1997 $0
1999 $100k
2002 $400k
2005 $1 million
2007 $2 million
2010 $5 million
2014 $10 million
2016 $12 million

Always saved 30-60% of after tax income. Blessed with great job though 24/7/365 commitment. Low cost, tax efficient index funds.
Update

2017 $14.9 million
2018 $15.7 million

Update:

2019: $18 million
2020: $20.5 million

30% is paid for RE, 30% tax deferred accounts, 30% taxable, 10% Roth/529/HSA. Asset allocation has moved from 80/20 to 60/40 over time.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.
18_bank_accounts
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by 18_bank_accounts »

18_bank_accounts wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:53 pm 2008 $54,000 age 27
2009 $76,000
2010 $140,000
2011 $192,000
2012 $233,000
2013 $405,000 start up options
2014 $608,000
2015 $641,000
2016 $875,039
2017 $1,029,021 small inheritance
2018 $1,559,767
2019 $1,584,345
2020 $2,343,907 age 39, mostly stock and home appreciation
2021 $2,914,597 age 40, investment growth, plus saved 30% of my gross salary this year
Detroittl
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:12 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Detroittl »

2004 -5k ...
2007 zero ...
2009 zero found Dave Ramsey ...
2010 30k ...
2013 55k bought house...
2015 65k found bogleheads...
2016 100k ...
2017 253k...
2018 260k sold house...
2019 350k...
2020 435k...
slow&steady123
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:22 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by slow&steady123 »

slow&steady123 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm
snoopdoug1 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 pm
slow&steady123 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm Hi folks,

Below is my net worth progression. It has taken some time with wife and I working hard to get here. I am missing a couple of years due to gaps in exact tracking. We have two young boys, the older one will start going to college in a couple of years; so, really have to work for another 10 odd years till both kids are out of college.

2004 $705,814
2005 $925,035
2006 $1,170,913
2007 $1,367,905
2008 $1,455,373
2009 $1,804,552
2011 $2,252,285
2012 $3,080,632
2013 $3,481,003
2014 $3,819,309
2015 $4,031,656
2016 $4,432,303
2017 $5,056,723
2019 $6,195,696

Slow&Steady!!

Update for 2020: NW $7.42M (Been a good year)
Mofire
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:28 am

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Mofire »

slow&steady123 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:00 pm
slow&steady123 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm
snoopdoug1 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 pm
slow&steady123 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm Hi folks,

Below is my net worth progression. It has taken some time with wife and I working hard to get here. I am missing a couple of years due to gaps in exact tracking. We have two young boys, the older one will start going to college in a couple of years; so, really have to work for another 10 odd years till both kids are out of college.

2004 $705,814
2005 $925,035
2006 $1,170,913
2007 $1,367,905
2008 $1,455,373
2009 $1,804,552
2011 $2,252,285
2012 $3,080,632
2013 $3,481,003
2014 $3,819,309
2015 $4,031,656
2016 $4,432,303
2017 $5,056,723
2019 $6,195,696

Slow&Steady!!

Update for 2020: NW $7.42M (Been a good year)
Nice. How old are you?
l1am
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by l1am »

alexL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 am For reference, here is the latest professional study for the retirement savings by age:

https://dqydj.com/retirement-savings-by-age/
Lesson: Bogleheads are more representative of the top 1% than anything else :mrgreen:

I guess that isn't all that surprising, given selection bias.
Tayto112
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by Tayto112 »

Great seeing all your wonderful success stories! My husband just retired and we're trying to figure out where to rollover to. Would love if you shared your winning formulas too?
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 69984
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Share your net worth progression

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! What works for one person may not work for another. Let's get you started with your own winning formula: Getting started

Start a new thread in the Personal Investments forum and post your portfolio information using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

If you have any questions, ask them in the new thread.

(This thread is for Net worth.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Post Reply