Gallbladder surgery

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
looking

Gallbladder surgery

Post by looking » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Anyone has gallbladder removed surgery Please share your experiences.

I have removed my gallbladder 6 months ago. having digestive problems

tom

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Try reducing the fat intake in your diet for a few weeks to allow your system a chance to adapt to the loss of the gall bladder.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

arrete

Post by arrete » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:12 pm

My daughter had that problem. Was recommended to take Metamucil - in the surgeon's word - kitty litter for the tummy, soaking up extra acid. Sometimes it just takes longer. Worked for her.

Kathy
Quando omni flunkus moritati

Grandpaboys

Post by Grandpaboys » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Had mine removed March 9. First three weeks had a few problems, every thing is ok now, can eat anything. Had large stone blocking duct so Dr. said my gallbladder was not working anyway, therefore I should not have a major problem. He was right. Although I know people after over 10 years cannot eat and be to far away from the bath room.
Good Day | GP

shadowrings

Post by shadowrings » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Tom

I haven't but both my mother and a college roommate had thiers removed in the 80s and a fellow paramedic in the late 90s.

My mother had no problems that she ever admitted to me.

My roommate's were a bit hard to hide. Bloat, gas (from the lower levels of Hades) and one hour after any meal (especially if it had high fat content), no one had better been between her and the bathroom door due to diarrhea. Vent fan on, Lysol at the ready and everyone stayed away for at least 30 minutes after she exited. Almost any amount of fat from dairy, meat, or vegetable sources in her diet exacerbated the situation. Increasing whole grains and vegetables while reducing fats helped improve things for her immensely. By the time she left college in the mid 80s she had found a balance, high whole grains, very low fat, generally used salmon or tofu for protein sources and for salad dressings and cooking tiny quantities of extra virgin olive oil or top quality nut oils (for nutritionally required fat) that kept things generally under control. Her GP said it was highly unusual for the diarrheal scenario to persist post-cholecystectomy for more than 6-8 months but not "entirely unheard of".

The paramedic friend is still experiencing the problems as my roommate did more than a decade earlier. Though I suspect alot of his is because he absolutely refuses to attempt even minor diet modifications. High fat, high processed trans-fat pseudo food, very little grain or veggies, no fish. Diet is mostly cheap fast food, twinkies, white bread and bologna, crap loaded with trans-fats and saturated fats. He even admits his doctor has recommended little gradual dietary changes (especially on elimination of transfats, high processed saturated fats, etc. etc.) but absolutely refuses to try any of them.

Some of the more medically educated posters around here probably can go into more detail than a retired medic but I can affirm that the big factor of many digestive problems I've had post-cholecystectomy patients talk about during transports seems to be tied into uncontrolled dietary fat in-take. I've also read recently that there may also be some aggravation post surgery due to high caffeine intake as well BUT I haven't read anything definitive from reputable sources backed by research or case studies, so I'm uncertain about the factuality of that info currently.

You might want to get a referral to a registered dietician or medical nutritionist to further explore the dietary side of the issues.

Just confirm with your surgeon that there are no other post-operative problems such as infection playing a factor.

regards
vickie
Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people. | --- Carl G. Jung

Gregory

symptoms?

Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 pm

Pls describe "digestive problems?" (Gas, bloating, pain -- sharp, localized, diffuse over the abdomen?) Pre- or post-meal? Accompanied by diarrhea?

Family history of Crohns', ulcerative colitis, or other GI disorder?

Stools formed, semi-formed, watery?

Any recent travel to an area with endemic water-borne illness (e.g., Giardia?) . Travels abroad in general?

Greg
(M.D.)
Pecuniae imperare oportet, non servire. | Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendit frangitur. -Syrus

looking

Post by looking » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 pm

after meals ,gas bloating indigetsion, stool semi formed, no family history,

Removed gallbladder 6 months ago

doctor said I am having Irretable bowel sydrem
tom

looking

Post by looking » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:50 pm

I forgot to tell you I have chronic gastrisity doctor told me afer he did endoscopy.

tom

Grandpaboys

Post by Grandpaboys » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:55 pm

For IBS eat Yorgat every day, is what the Doctor told my wife and it has really helped.
Good Day | GP

Gregory

IBS?

Post by Gregory » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Development of IBS (irrititable bowel syndrome) post-operatively would be very unusual; this diagnosis usu precedes, and is long-standing. It's been my experience that most people with IBS has a chronic underlying low-level anxiety, which may certainly be a result of (and not the root cause) of the IBS. Again, to have developed this post-op is unusual.

Chronic gastritis can be caused by many things, and could account for your symptoms. It is NOT synonymous with IBS. Causes of chronic gastriits: Helicobacter pylori, bile reflux (which hopefully your cholecystectomy took care of, long-term use of aspirin-like products including Motrin, Aleve. Have you internist check you for H. pylori (now curable), try avoiding aspirin and its cousine (e.g., Motrin). 1-2 TBSP of Mylanta 60-120 minutes after eating will help de-acidify your gastric lining.

Was the surgery "uncomplicated?" I'd want to ensure that there's no more bile refulx.

Greg
Pecuniae imperare oportet, non servire. | Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendit frangitur. -Syrus

ralsup

Might try WelChol

Post by ralsup » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:05 pm

You might also empirically try taking WelChol (colesevelam), which is actually a drug to lower cholesterol. Sometimes medications that bind intestinal bile acids will reduce post-cholecystectomy loose stools and bloating. I have patients take 2 tablets with each meal or large snack. It's not absorbed, and should be safe, especially since you've already been endoscoped.

Ron A. (an Internist)

rockies47

Post by rockies47 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:01 am

I had it done about 30 years ago - the old fashioned way. Was in the hospital for 10 days. Off work for 2 weeks, and then went back for 1/2 days for a week. No problems, and I feel great now. Can eat anything I want.
Dave

looking

rockiest47 sound imposible

Post by looking » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:14 am

how long it took to become normal eating after surgrey

tom

rockies47

Post by rockies47 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:18 pm

I really can't remember how long it was before I could eat normal again. It was so long ago. But, I'm thinking it was maybe about a month or so.
Dave

looking

Post by looking » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:31 pm

It has been 6 months since I removed my gallbladder.I did it at Kaiser hospital san jose, Californioa

WhiteHorse64

Mine gone in 1998

Post by WhiteHorse64 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:23 pm

Had mine out in 1998 and had diarhea for a couple weeks then completely normal after that. Some friends and family attempted to spell gloom on my future diet saying that my cholesterol would jump. In my research, I found that to be myth. The liver already does what the gall bladder does redundantly (produces bile to aid in digesting fats). That is why it is considered a disposable organ.

Steady As She Goes,

Jon Fortman
DFW Diehards

looking

Post by looking » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:49 am

Hi Grg

My doctor had diagnoised i have cronic gastritis before doctoe removed
my gallbladder and i have been abdominal pain for many years.

now i have constipation, indigestion,bloating but no dierrae after gallbladder removal. Now my GI doctor tell me I hav a funtionla disorer of IBS. After removal of my gallbradder I think my digestive system is a permanet impairement.

tom

Gregory

IBS

Post by Gregory » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Tom, when your doctor diagnosed the IBS, were any tests performed? (blood test, stool culture, etc.) Occasionally, a parasitic infection (from travels, even in the US) can cause symptoms which mimic IBS. I'm thinking particularly of Giardia, which is a somewhat common parasite. When discussing this with your doc, ask to "rule out infectious colitis."

I won't ask your exact age, but give me a range (e.g., 50-60, 25-35, etc.). Older people IMO should have a barium test with small-bowel follow-through to rule out a tumor before being saddled the the diagnosis of IBS. An abdominal CT may have already been done before your gallbladder removal, and that would serve the same purpose.

Another possibility is that you've developed some degree of lactose (or fructose) intolerance. Try 10 days away from all lactose product. If you improve, you're a long ways towards making the correct diagnosis.

Greg

looking

Post by looking » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:10 am

Hi greg
thank you so much
I don.t understan what is the lactose or fructose and now my problem is my digestive problem doctor should have not removed my gallbladder.
my abdominal pain is secondary and main problem is indigestion and bloating. I strong ly beleive my doctor made my digestive system permane impairment. He destroyed my life. he removed unnesassary removal of my gallbladder.

I am thiking to see doctor at Univercity of california at San francisco GI depatment. what is your oppinion ??

best wishes

tom

cand1926

Post by cand1926 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:12 am

I have had Gallbladder surgery 3 1/2 months ago, and still not back to work yet. My doctor had to put me on a stomach pill to help me eat, and i feel that something else is going on inside, when i go out shopping for any length of time my belly is swollen the next day, i still cannot lift anything over 10lbs and i find it very hard to digest all foods. And my regular trips to the bathroom have changed to maybe twice a week. The proceedure they used was laproscopic...... has anyone had this surgery and is anyone out there having problems..... i feel very alone during this process, other than my husband and parents everyone else is "you only had gallbladder surgery" "how long can you milk this for" I guess the surgery had complications too where my gallbladder was much larger than normal and was totally blocked to the point of stones even being in the tube that connects to your smalll intestine, and moving up towards my asophicus..... is anyone else going through this?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Gallbladder surgery

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:43 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical issues). As a reminder, see: Forum Policy
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.