Buying jewelry 'value', not brand?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Houston101

Buying jewelry 'value', not brand?

Post by Houston101 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:52 am

Hi bogleheads, I was wondering if you guys have any tips suggestions on buying jewelry where you can get the best value for the metal content?

Most name brand jewelry stores never tell you what is scrap metal value of any jeweler you buy because I think they sell jewelry at a ridiculous markup. I can understand paying some premium for converting a gold bar to a necklace. I want to buy a piece of jewelry and be confident that it will retain 80% - 90% of its value, it shouldn't be like buying a new car. Any thoughts on buying jewelry from Wal-Mart / Costco?

Every year I gift something to my wife on special occasions and I want to gift something that will retain its value every year if not increase. I hate the idea of just blowing it away on clothes shoes.

Leemiller

Re: Buying jewelry 'value', not brand?

Post by Leemiller » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:50 am

I wouldn't but jewelry at Walmart. Costco has some good deals. It depends on what you mean by value. If you're looking for the least mark-up based on metals value, pawn shops and middle eastern jewelry that is sold by weight and usually is 22k come to mind. If you mean getting back the highest percent for that you paid, brand names like Van Cleef, Cartier and Tiffany, better still if you can buy them second hand. I can sell my Tiffany items closer to what I paid then my umbranded items, some for more than I paid. Auctions are another source. Also, what you could replace something for at retail vs resale value are very different.

Honestly though why not come up with a budget and just get her whatever she wants in the budget?