Maintenance $$'s spent over the lifetime on your Car

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jupiter_man

Maintenance $$'s spent over the lifetime on your Car

Post by jupiter_man » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 am

I have a 14 Year old Car, and I have maintained all the servicing records and money spent over the years on the car. Yesterday I calculated that it cost me $550/Year over the last 14 years for the Service (Oils Change, Filter, Tires, Battery, Timing Belt - which was expensive etc) . Spouse says to get rid of it and buy something new(er), but as a BH I want to continue to use it for my short commute to work, and see if I can use it for another 2 years. In cumulative dollar terms the $550/Year is about $7,700 over the 14 years. Mileage on the Car is about 115K , so its not that much, but age is a concern in terms of any structural issues. Do the BH's recommend I go for a replacement ? How much money have you typically spent on your car's maintenance before you decided that its not worth sinking more money in it ?

JMacDonald

Re: Maintenance $$'s spent over the lifetime on your Car

Post by JMacDonald » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 am

If your car can get you safely and dependably to work every day for the next two years, I see no reason to get rid of it. $550 a year is a bit less than $50 a month of maintenance. How much a month would the payments on a new car cost? Of course, if the old car suddenly had to have very expensive repairs, then the decision would be made for you.

On the other hand, a new car with all of the new safety features and other new options are very nice to have. If you can afford it, then I would probably buy a new car that meets your needs.
Best Wishes, | Joe

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

In my experience $550/year is no reason to get rid of an older car. Ante'ing up $5000 for a newer car is $500/year for ten years from the get-go plus the maintenance on the new car. Maybe you could tell your wife that you are going to put that $5000 in a bank account to be used on maintenance for the next ten years.

Were driving a 15 year old vehicle and an 11 year old vehicle that will be replaced when deterioration makes them unsafe/unreliable/uncomfortable. Rust is starting to get to the older one.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

Without knowing more about whether you can comfortably afford a new car, I also see no reason to get rid of it, just in anticipation that something could go wrong. While maintenance will be an issue on the old car, don't forget that insurance costs are typically lower.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 am

Timing belt on most cars is about $120. If you buy a new car, it will need oil changes, tires and timing belts, too. If that's all the maintenance you had to do, you have yourself a good vehicle.

JT

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:50 am

Keep the car - $550 a year is reasonable to spend on maintainance and necessary repair. Spending $3K per year is not.
A newer car will cost you what $15K - a 3% return on 15K is what? $450~500, so you give up $550 in repairs to earn $500 less in either interest, dividends and/or capital appreciation. I'm not seeing how you come out ahead, unless your current vehicle is a death-trap on the road, inherently unsafe to drive and costs too much to make it safe.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 am

bottlecap wrote:Timing belt on most cars is about $120. If you buy a new car, it will need oil changes, tires and timing belts, too. If that's all the maintenance you had to do, you have yourself a good vehicle.

JT
If you do it yourself, yes. If you have an independent repair shop do it - count on spending at least $350 easy, including water pump,gaskets and gallon of anti-freeze.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 am

The timing belt is the largest preventative maintenance expense and that's already done. It won't need to be done again until around 200,000 miles. If you're happy with the car, it has no other major problems and it serves your needs then it will likely be MUCH less expensive to keep it than to purchase a newer vehicle, especially given that you've apparently maintained it well over the years.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:21 am

11 year old Dodge Ram, 104K miles and I've spent $5,020 on maintenance so far which includes two replacement sets of tires, two sets of brakes, new rotors and tune ups, oil changes, flushes, etc and works out $38 per month. In the next year it will require probably about $1500 to $2000 in maintenance but those are one time expenses (power steering replacement and a small oil leak fixed). I run full synthetic so while I pay more for each oil change only need to change the oil every 8 to 10 thousand miles.

It still has the original battery, I'll probably replace it proactively before this winter.

12thman

Post by 12thman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

New cars depreciate horribly fast. Your car's depreciation has tapered off which saves you money the longer you drive the car. The down side of keeping it as you already mentioned, is the added maintenance costs. Cars nowadays seem like they can get over the 100k mark with very few issues and are still very reliable. With regular maintenance it would probably last you until 200k.

My wife and I have a Chrysler 2006 T&C with 160k miles on it and were debating on weather or not to trade up (its getting too small for our family). It has some very minor mechanical/electrical(1 door lock and 1 instrument light out) issues but we decided we would drive it to 200k or until it had a major issue. Although we have the money now to replace it, we have been using this 'borrowed time' to stash more money away to get a nicer replacement.

As others have said: do some of the maintenance yourself. At least change the oil because it saves money and time. I buy the chevron cases of oil at Costco when they go on sale. Doing the oil change at home takes me 15 mins tops including clean up. Oil change stores always try to peddle their over priced air filters and windshield wiper blades, which are both very easy to buy and install yourself.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:53 am

The average car has an effective life of 150K miles and the average truck 200K miles, if you drive highly reliable brands you'll get significantly more. Most people don't want to keep a vehicle that long because they get itchy for a new one.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:10 pm

You have to subtract out Oil changes, Tires, wiper blades, and other normal maintenance items as you will have those expenses with a new vehicle as well.

I have owned my 2002 Corolla for 8 years, it currently has 117k miles I purchased it with 56K. I have paid $2,600 total for maintenance which is only $325 per year, however when I subtract out the normal maintenance items my total costs have been $254. That is only $31 per year or $2 per month. Tires are the biggest expense but again you have to replace those on any vehicle you own...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 pm

If you are a drive it into the ground type of person it isn't the overall routine yearly expenses as much as a catastrophic expense, something like you'll need a new engine or transmission and it will cost $4,000 and the value of the car is less or near the cost of the repair or future expensive repairs are shortly anticipated. A good mechanic should be able to tell you that you are likely to incur X amount of expenses in the next year or so and also should be able to tell you if any of the major components are close to imminent failure.

If you have the money to replace it and don't mind to continuing to drive it then just drive it until something major breaks then replace it. On the other hand if after 14 years you are pining for a new car, find yourself constantly looking at new cars and can afford it then there's no reason to delay buying one (as long as it wont impact your other financial responsibilities).

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:32 pm

I replaced a 15 year old car last year. While I probably could have hung on to it for a couple of more years, it was time. My wife would no longer drive it and the safety features were state of the art in 1998. Our oldest car is now 10+ years old, so I've got another replacement coming within the next few years. :(

Confused

Post by Confused » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:43 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Confused wrote:I don't keep exact records of vehicle repairs, but I get an oil change when the light comes on, which is usually about a year apart.
I hope you mean when the maintenance required light comes on and not the low oil light
Confused wrote:I replace tires when they blow out. That seems to happen about yearly, as well.
Realize that this could be a fatal event if you are driving at highway speeds when the blowout occurs.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Confused wrote:I don't keep exact records of vehicle repairs, but I get an oil change when the light comes on, which is usually about a year apart. My last one was in October 2012. I replace tires when they blow out. That seems to happen about yearly, as well.
A good set of steel belted radials should last 50K miles at least (often up to 80K) and still not be beyond the
wear bars, not blowing out.

Are you are driving 50K + per year and changing your oil at 50K intervals?

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:44 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Confused wrote:I replace tires when they blow out. That seems to happen about yearly, as well
Realize that this could be a fatal event if you are driving at highway speeds when the blowout occurs.
I guess I would also want to know where?, how fast you drive?, what kind of cars your drive?, what tires you use?, and most importantly at what tread depth do you replace tires?, to understand how you get one blow out a year.

I have almost 50 years of driving and have yet to have a blow out. I have had maybe three or four flat tires in that entire time, with maybe two of them while in motion. We are on opposite ends of the bell curve , are drastically different drivers, and/or take totally different views of maintenance.

To bring in another thread, I am most definitely not cheap when it comes to tires, brakes, front end suspension components, and oil. I may be frugal and do most of the work myself, but use quality components. I may be a procrastinator in many things, be never with performing preventative maintenance.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Mileage on the Car is about 115K
What type of car it it? You might be surprised how much you can get for it.

Check to see what you could sell it for then you can figure out the net cost to upgrade vs the maintenance.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:08 pm

An oil change costs me about $200 so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Drive it til it's dead IMO...

Hector

Post by Hector » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:20 pm

jupiter_man wrote:I have a 14 Year old Car, and I have maintained all the servicing records and money spent over the years on the car. Yesterday I calculated that it cost me $550/Year over the last 14 years for the Service (Oils Change, Filter, Tires, Battery, Timing Belt - which was expensive etc) . Spouse says to get rid of it and buy something new(er), but as a BH I want to continue to use it for my short commute to work, and see if I can use it for another 2 years. In cumulative dollar terms the $550/Year is about $7,700 over the 14 years. Mileage on the Car is about 115K , so its not that much, but age is a concern in terms of any structural issues. Do the BH's recommend I go for a replacement ? How much money have you typically spent on your car's maintenance before you decided that its not worth sinking more money in it ?
Its around $45/month.
I would continue using it as long as its reliable. All the maintenance issues that you mentioned (Oils Change, Filter, Tires, Battery, Timing Belt - which was expensive etc) are regular and even newer car would need it. I do not see the point in getting new car as long as your engine is running well.
A few of us often compare total purchase price and maintenance. But opportunity cost and higher insurance premium for more expensive car is often overlooked.

http://themoney101.blogspot.com/2013/08 ... -cars.html

Confused

Post by Confused » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 pm

[Blanked for privacy]

leonardotmnt

Post by leonardotmnt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 pm

For your own safety and that of others it'd be a good idea to perform preventative maintenance on your car instead of being reactive to every problem that happens. When you wear your tires down to the steel belts you not only risk a blowout that could endanger yourself or other drivers or pedestrians, you also have no traction in any type of inclement weather. You should replace tires by axle at the very least. If you do that your car will handle better and your tires will probably actually last longer due to wearing more evenly. Obviously having other things happen like your hood flying into your windshield isn't safe either.

The oil lamp you're referring to is for low oil pressure which occurs when you're burning oil or have an oil leak. It's really not good for the longevity of your car for it to keep coming on. Oil changes are cheap enough that you can follow the recommended maintenance schedule and overall it'll save you money by making your car last longer.

I just pray you don't seriously hurt yourself or someone else by neglecting routine maintenance on your car.

Topic Author
jupiter_man

Post by jupiter_man » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks everybody.

Here is the breakup of what I have spent
First 5 Years : $2,300 (0 - 50k Miles) Only had one Car
5 - 10 Years : $3,700 (50K - 90K Miles) (Timing Belt/Water Pump , new Tiers,etc ) Bought a Van for Spouse as a second vehicle, and use that for Vacation Trips etc
10 -14+(now) : $1,700 (90K - 113K+) (New Tiers) Small commute

Insurance cost is $360/Year (Property Damage + Bodily Injury are almost $200 out of this $360/year).

What are some decent cars that I should start looking at that can be next BH Car , has the Hybrid or Electric Technology worth the cost ?

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:22 pm

I'd suggest saving your repair & maintenance records, imo it demonstrates additional value to insurance underwriters, private purchasers or any other appraisers for resale or settlement.
Last edited by seeshells on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clearwater

Post by clearwater » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 am

Confused wrote: What tread depth do I replace tires? That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't replace the tire until it's broken. The tread wears down, then some weird metal-like stuff starts showing through, then the tire will either break while I'm driving or I'll go outside one morning and the tire will be flat.
You are on track to kill yourself or someone else. You will save a few dollars on tires, which you should save in a special account, since one day you might be paying doctors or lawyers instead.

You want to drive something that weighs thousands of pounds at 80 MPH? That's a privilege, not a right. Have some standards of safety for those around you.

Seriously, your post scares the hell out of me that you are putting people at risk like this.

If you don't have money for tires, the car should NOT BE ON THE ROAD. Take the bus.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 am

yes, go ahead and splurge and buy some new tires. Then replace them when you stick a penny in the tread with abe lincoln's head down, and the tread doesn't cover up any of his hair any more.

Anyway I have a 14 year old Audi. Depreciation is now trivial. But maintenance is a lot. I've had $1000 repairs two years in a row.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 am

[quote="Confused"]
Utah. 75-80mph or faster. I've driven sedans, like my current Dodge Stratus, previous was a Dodge Intrepid. Before that was a Hyundai Accent. I have no idea what tires I use. Whatever cheap, used tires are available the day I need one. Used tires are only ~$30. A set of new tires would cost more than what my cars are worth. Perhaps it would be cheaper in the long run to buy new tires than replace used tires repeatedly, but I have no guarantee that my car will even last past next Thursday.

What tread depth do I replace tires? That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't replace the tire until it's broken. The tread wears down, then some weird metal-like stuff starts showing through, then the tire will either break while I'm driving or I'll go outside one morning and the tire will be flat. I see commercials for tires that say something like "flat replacement for the entire life of the tire." To me, the life of the tire is until it's toast.

How is that one goes out every year? Well, there are four tires. All used. One goes out, and it gets replaced. One goes out later and it gets replaced later. So, even if I just got one of the tires, there could also be one that's a year old, one that's two years old, and one that's three years old.
[quote][quote]

What is your life worth? Is it worth more than $250? If it is, common sense says to splurge on the tires for your life's worth will enable to replenish that $250 easily over the course of 1 year, 2 years, 10 years and in return you will breathe air, eat food and get to enjoy this wonderful planet we live on. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, man. :oops:

Now, speaking of pennies - take the good ole Abraham Lincoln penny, invert so that old Abe is upside down - now take that penny and place it in the middlle of the tire - if you see Abe's top forehead - it's time to replace the tires. Don't try the blow-out routine, for the next time could be your last time, permanantly!
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:55 am

Easy Rhino wrote:yes, go ahead and splurge and buy some new tires. Then replace them when you stick a penny in the tread with abe lincoln's head down, and the tread doesn't cover up any of his hair any more.

Anyway I have a 14 year old Audi. Depreciation is now trivial. But maintenance is a lot. I've had $1000 repairs two years in a row.
+1000 You beat me to it!

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am

$550/yr is less than $50/mo.

Pretty cheap compared to amortizing the cost of a new car. Even a no-frills car will cost many times that per month and you will still need oil changes and regular maintenance, tires, etc.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

Confused

Post by Confused » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:13 am

[Blanked for privacy]

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am

Confused wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
What is your life worth? Is it worth more than $250? If it is, common sense says to splurge on the tires for your life's worth will enable to replenish that $250 easily over the course of 1 year, 2 years, 10 years and in return you will breathe air, eat food and get to enjoy this wonderful planet we live on. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, man.
Easy to say when you're actually earning some money. When you and your spouse are living on a combined gross income of $18k, $250 is a lot of money. If I was making decisions based on what "my life is worth", then I'd have to carry comprehensive and collision insurance, renters insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and disability insurance and I'd have a retirement fund bigger than $7,000.

Instead of "what is my life worth" I have to live by the mantra "when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose."
Let me clarify what I'm saying: There is no denying that $250 from an $18K salary is ALOT of money, it's substantial - I have been there, so I know where you are coming from. Since you are married, it's even more important that you use reliable - not used tires. Your wife is dependent upon you as you are dependent upon your wife, therefore think of your next expenditure as guaranteeing that you come home in one piece to your wife. It's one thing to think of yourself only, but when you are married you should be thinking in terms of the unit - that being you and your wife.
Comprehensive and collision are "nice to haves" but for years i drove with liability only, went without renters insurance but invested in a good deadbolt lock. Are you in your 20's? You have something that older folks don't have - want to know what it is? You have time! But you won't have time if you are severely injured or encounter a fatal outcome driving on balding tires. One blowout should be scary enough, mulitple ones? That's like playing with nitroglycerin - no way!

And change your mantra - because when your married to someone you love, you have plenty to lose!

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm

$550 is about one monthly car payment. One monthly car payment/year is less than 12. If everything else is working fine and you are still happy with it, then I'd keep it: it's cheaper.

You will notice, since you've changed the timing belt and should not need another one until 200K, that every year until then your $550/month amount will decrease: infrequent high-dollar repairs, divided by increasing years. I recently realized this when I calculated my all-in long-term vehicle maintenance cost as ~$400/year (24-yo vehicle). My next anticipated big bill will be a clutch/timing belt/water pump replacement at 300K miles. That's what an EF is for. Or a new-vehicle down payment. :)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 pm

The IRS mileage reimbursement rate is a pretty good real world estimate of the total cost to own a car relative to "average" use.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Confused wrote:
SimonJester wrote:I hope you mean when the maintenance required light comes on and not the low oil light

I don't know anything about the lights, but it's the one shaped like an oil lamp. When that comes on, I go directly to Jiffy Lube. I have had a tire blow out at 75mph. I've also had my hood pop up and smash my windshield and block my view while traveling down the highway. Indeed these are scary events.
Spirit Rider wrote: I guess I would also want to know where?, how fast you drive?, what kind of cars your drive?, what tires you use?, and most importantly at what tread depth do you replace tires?, to understand how you get one blow out a year.
Utah. 75-80mph or faster. I've driven sedans, like my current Dodge Stratus, previous was a Dodge Intrepid. Before that was a Hyundai Accent. I have no idea what tires I use. Whatever cheap, used tires are available the day I need one. Used tires are only ~$30. A set of new tires would cost more than what my cars are worth. Perhaps it would be cheaper in the long run to buy new tires than replace used tires repeatedly, but I have no guarantee that my car will even last past next Thursday.

What tread depth do I replace tires? That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't replace the tire until it's broken. The tread wears down, then some weird metal-like stuff starts showing through, then the tire will either break while I'm driving or I'll go outside one morning and the tire will be flat. I see commercials for tires that say something like "flat replacement for the entire life of the tire." To me, the life of the tire is until it's toast.

How is that one goes out every year? Well, there are four tires. All used. One goes out, and it gets replaced. One goes out later and it gets replaced later. So, even if I just got one of the tires, there could also be one that's a year old, one that's two years old, and one that's three years old.
MathWizard wrote: A good set of steel belted radials should last 50K miles at least (often up to 80K) and still not be beyond the

Used tires don't last nearly 50,000 miles.

Man what a sucker I am. Forgot it was Apr 1.

Good one!

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Mike Scott wrote:The IRS mileage reimbursement rate is a pretty good real world estimate of the total cost to own a car relative to "average" use.
Even that is all over the place. 14 cents for charity or 56 cents for business. I'd like to know why a mile for business is the same as 4 miles for charity? Throw in medical/moving and its between that and more confusing.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Confused wrote:I don't keep exact records of vehicle repairs, but I get an oil change when the light comes on, which is usually about a year apart. My last one was in October 2012. I replace tires when they blow out. That seems to happen about yearly, as well.
This is some truly shocking stuff. And I'm a guy that has gone more than 12,000 miles on an oil change before.

The comments about your tires are even more astounding. New tires aren't (or at least don't have to be) that expensive, even if you aren't working. Surely your life and the lives of others have some value beyond the $20 or $30 you might "save" on a used tire.

JT

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Confused wrote:
SimonJester wrote:I hope you mean when the maintenance required light comes on and not the low oil light

I don't know anything about the lights, but it's the one shaped like an oil lamp. When that comes on, I go directly to Jiffy Lube. I have had a tire blow out at 75mph. I've also had my hood pop up and smash my windshield and block my view while traveling down the highway. Indeed these are scary events.
Spirit Rider wrote: I guess I would also want to know where?, how fast you drive?, what kind of cars your drive?, what tires you use?, and most importantly at what tread depth do you replace tires?, to understand how you get one blow out a year.

MathWizard wrote: A good set of steel belted radials should last 50K miles at least (often up to 80K) and still not be beyond the

Used tires don't last nearly 50,000 miles.

Man what a sucker I am. Forgot it was Apr 1.

Good one!
Wow I hope this was an April 1st joke...

if not... waiting until the oil light comes on means you are doing damage to your engine.
The safe tire tread depth is 2/32 of an inch and is considered legally warn out. if many areas you can be ticketed for an unsafe vehicle.

True story, I was following a co worker back to work one day when he was hit broad side (T boned), he was shaken up quite a bit but ok, his SUV was totaled. When police arrived at the scene they ticketed the other driver for failure to yield / stop, but also ticketed my co worker for having too low of a tread depth on his tires! He was not happy.

I was right behind him, ten seconds later and it would have been me hit, I could not believe it! What is even more amazing is that the hit his big SUV from a stopped position at a driveway. They hit the gas to pull out and smacked into him, it spun his SUV around 360 degrees completely caving in the drivers door. The other car lost a boot portion of the front end and was going to drive off when they realized their front license plate was left at the accident. I could not believe that much force / damage was done from a vehicle just pulling out of a driveway.

WHL

Post by WHL » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:10 pm

If you spent $7700 over that time period for that little amount of maintenance, you need to pick up a Haynes book and learn how to do the work yourself. There's no point to being frugal (Bogle) if you're not going to do something so simple as auto maintenance.

I just started ordering and receiving around $1300 in parts and tools to perform almost every possible maintenance on my 2005 truck with 150k miles. It's been 6+ years since I've done anything other than oil changes, so it's definitely due.

The list, at the moment, contains:

engine oil + filter
tranny oil + filter, torque converter flush
rear diff fluid
brake fluid + new pads
engine coolant flush
PCV valve
throttle body cleaning
shocks
ball joints
tie rod ends
complete greasing
air filter
spark plugs
spark plug wires
distributor cap + rotor
windshield wipers + fluid top-off
tire rotation
complete interior and exterior detail
four wheel alignment (which is the only thing I won't do myself)

I don't want to know how much this would cost if I was to take it to a shop, god forbid the GM dealer. But, I have put 99% of the miles on this truck, have driven it cross-country multiple times, and know it's a good rig. A comparable replacement woudl be in the 30k range - no thanks.