POLL: Do you have a financial advisor?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Do you pay a financial advisor?

Yes, 5 figure or less portfolio
0%
No, 5 figure or less portfolio
6%
Yes, 6 figure portfolio
No votes
No, 6 figure portfolio
39%
Yes, 7 figure or more portfolio
5%
No, 7 figure or more portfolio
50%

Total votes: 262

sunnyday

POLL: Do you have a financial advisor?

Post by sunnyday » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm

There have been some recents posts about paying for a financial advisor. I'm curious to see how the numbers break down.

dimdum

Re: POLL: Do you have a financial advisor?

Post by dimdum » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Yes and its called "bogleheads.org"

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 pm

I had a Dean Witter broker. I was told my portfolio went up 15-20% per year. One day, I calculated my initial deposits and saw the same total on the current statement. I realized it took me five years to get back that 4.75% front-end load.

I had a financial adviser. He sold me term life, whole life and invested my 80K IRA and turned it into a 40K IRA.

Now, my financial adviser is Me and the Bogleheads.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:09 pm

My financial advisor is this forum. Where is that option? :D

You guys are pretty awesome. :beer

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:32 pm

kerplunk wrote:My financial advisor is this forum. Where is that option? :D

You guys are pretty awesome. :beer

Same here - I voted "no" but I do, the Bogleheads!!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

herbie

Post by herbie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:32 pm

I had one of the traditional sort and found that he was not acting in my best interests.

I now manage my own funds but have consulted with an hourly fee-based adviser to get a second opinion and look for missed opportunities.

Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm

There is a guy who comes into our school twice a year as he works for one of our 403b vendors. I used to consider him my financial advisor, until I realized how much he was actually costing me. Most of my financial advice now comes from this forum and the books that I have read that have been suggested on this forum.

ERMD

Post by ERMD » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 pm

my financial advisor is john "muggsy" boges.
between scotch and nothing, i'll take scotch. -- faulkner

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (financial advisor).

Hopefully, these distinctions are clear:

- Investment adviser, who manages your investments
- Financial planner, who does Financial planning
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah. Me and all y'all bogleheads.
Last edited by pennstater2005 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:11 pm

I have a low cost advisor for a few reasons. Although you didn't ask since most here do not use an advisor I'll mention why I decided to use one.

First and foremost, my wife doesn't have a clue, and doesn't want to have a clue. So if I pass first at least someone I know can help her.

Second, while the Bogleheads is a truly excellent source of advice it is nice to bounce an idea or two off someone that is very familiar with my portfolio.

Third, my advisor provides me with DFA access which I find useful for certain asset classes.

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't have one now but I will after I talk to Vanguard.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Zabar

Post by Zabar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:51 pm

I have a low-cost advisor with whom I'm very pleased. She was recommended by my CPA. Her approach is similar to mine: almost all of the money goes into no-load index and index-like (e.g., some DFA funds) ETFs and mutual funds. She sells no products and receives no commissions. She's highly cost-sensitive with respect to transaction fees and expense ratios. There's no churning: we sold only one investment for nonperformance during the past two years.

The value I receive, which I believe is worth the fees, is that she helps me plan much more than my investments. I think of our relationship as akin to that between a CEO and a CFO: The CEO provides the vision and goals; the CFO figures out how to make that vision a reality without taking too much risk.

Yes, I learn a lot from books and Bogleheads, but I don't view this as an either/or situation.

bighatnocattle41

Post by bighatnocattle41 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:59 pm

No. Seven figure
if you live below your means, financial security is attainable

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:05 am

Once upon a time, I worked at a major wirehouse many of you are familiar with (not EJ) which required me to use their broker as my financial advisor for any trades I made on a public exchange. I really detested that "perk" :annoyed , because I was forced to pay higher than normal commissions and I knew more about the markets and securities than the FA. To make it worse, I had to deal with a shady character whose job it was to sell inappropriate investments to unsuspecting marks so that he could generate a higher paycheck. One time, he tried to sell me some "crap" and I had to pull him aside and have a few words, after that he left me alone. Something about my use of certain acronyms which were all above board put the fear of God into him.

Other than that, no, I will never use a financial advisor, even if I become incapacitated, I've left instructions on what is to be or should be done. And what is to be avoided like the plague.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:09 am

The results are not surprising. After all, this is a premoninantly DIY forum which skews the results as opposed to a broader audience.

steve_14

Post by steve_14 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 am

johnep wrote:The results are not surprising. After all, this is a premoninantly DIY forum which skews the results as opposed to a broader audience.
I don't know if that 's true. I have no particular DIY bias. I'm more than happy to pay one third party to compose my investments (index fund), and another party (investment company) to maintain them. I'd say folks here are simply educated regarding investing, so know that a) you can't do better than low fee index funds and b) allowing others to control your life savings is a dangerous proposition.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 am

Pole needs higher portfolio limits.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Pole needs higher portfolio limits.
'More' should cover it.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:24 am

dimdum wrote:Yes and its called "bogleheads.org"
Me too.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 am

Why would someone with an advisor be spending much time here? Part of the point of having an advisor is so you don't have to spend time in places like Bogleheads.org. I see that as a major value add. If you're going to learn all about portfolio construction and appropriate investing, the benefit of the advisor is going way down in my opinion.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:54 am

I have a flagship advisor, but that's it.

Reason being, I had a broker advisor for years, and the gent cost me a good deal of money. I've done fine using bogleheads, using Vanguard, and leaving it at that. I have no plans to change my current program.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:08 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
'More' should cover it.
Yah, but I have seen posters now and then mention that they have 8 figure portfolios. I wonder how many and if they pay someone to watch their investments. I sort of look at 7 figures as the level that's needed to retire for most people, but getting more would be interesting to see. Maybe give me an incentive to save more somehow. :beer
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
'More' should cover it.
Yah, but I have seen posters now and then mention that they have 8 figure portfolios. I wonder how many and if they pay someone to watch their investments. I sort of look at 7 figures as the level that's needed to retire for most people, but getting more would be interesting to see. Maybe give me an incentive to save more somehow. :beer
4% of a million is $40K pre-tax. After tax, let's say it's $30K - not enough to own your own paid off home, pay real estate taxes and eat if you live in NY/NJ/CT - hence your wording of "most".
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

dad2000

Post by dad2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:38 pm

With 185 votes in at this point, no Bogleheads with under $1M in their portfolio use an advisor. I'd be curious to know:

a) A little more about the portfolio size (maybe <$2M, <$5M, <$10M, >=$10M)
b) Their primary reason for using an advisor (ie investment advice, tax advice, estate planning, etc.)
c) Is the advisor fee or AUM based?

Bounca

Post by Bounca » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I feel bad for the guy reading this who has the 4 - figure portfolio.

James2

Post by James2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Yes, fee based advisor for investment advice, tax advice, college planning, estate planning, etc...

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Bounca wrote:I feel bad for the guy reading this who has the 4 - figure portfolio.
I don't.
My portfolio at one time was 2 figures - that's right, $20! If anything, those who have less, start with less should use these polls as a motivating factor to save more, invest more, earn more. Don't be discouraged, we all were crawling before we walked, we were walking before we ran. Things take time usually.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 pm

No free Advisor (RIA, CFA, or otherwise) because I did give a (small) donation to bogleheads.org! I've learned so much and want to keep my (and others) investment knowledge expanding so I'd encourage others to contribute to this site if you think it helped you make money.