New graph on Personal Capital Dashboard

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cathyr

New graph on Personal Capital Dashboard

Post by cathyr »

Don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but when I signed onto Personal Capital today, there was a new graph/measure called 'Financial Sustainability Index'. It gives you a monthly dollar amount that can supposedly be generated from your portfolio. They don't really tell you how it's calculated, but when I checked, it looked like they were using a withdrawal rate that was over 6%.

Interesting :)
freddie

Re: New graph on Personal Capital Dashboard

Post by freddie »

Do you happen to be about 70 years old? I messed around with it and I was about 2% @20, 2.5% at 40, 4% at 60, and 8% at 80. Those seem relatively sane to me. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the numbers change a bit with AA. It is also unclear to me if they count the SS number that you gave them so they can suck out more early and less late.
cathyr wrote:Don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but when I signed onto Personal Capital today, there was a new graph/measure called 'Financial Sustainability Index'. It gives you a monthly dollar amount that can supposedly be generated from your portfolio. They don't really tell you how it's calculated, but when I checked, it looked like they were using a withdrawal rate that was over 6%.

Interesting :)
feh

Post by feh »

Oddly enough, the number they're reporting for me is pretty much right in line with what firecalc says I could withdraw per month without depletion.
Topic Author
cathyr

Post by cathyr »

FYI, I'm in my mid 50's, and not retired yet.

Cathy
nfs

Post by nfs »

Where do you see that? I can't seem to spot it (maybe they didn't release to everyone?). But I did notice in the INVESTING section I now have the option to look at the breakout of all the US Sectors which is rather interesting.
Topic Author
cathyr

Post by cathyr »

It was on the main dashboard page, on the left side - right above the Net Worth chart. Maybe they're just rolling the change out gradually.
freddie

Post by freddie »

So much for that theory. Maybe they are just really impressed with your portfolio?
cathyr wrote:FYI, I'm in my mid 50's, and not retired yet.

Cathy
fdeanw

Post by fdeanw »

Mine showed up immediately on the front page when I logged in to the site. The number seems awfully high to me -- 8.6% of our investment portfolio and 5.7% of our total net worth, including our residence. They also claim that it's in real dollars and can be sustained at that level with annual increases for inflation. (I'm 63 and not yet retired.)
nfs

Post by nfs »

cathyr wrote:It was on the main dashboard page, on the left side - right above the Net Worth chart. Maybe they're just rolling the change out gradually.
Definitely not there. I did realize that I didn't completely fill out the profile (mainly because I have no clue how much I'll get from SS and how much I'll expect to draw from investments and whatnot at this point). So now I've filled that out to see if perhaps it'll show up tomorrow. Granted, I'm 31, so perhaps they don't deem that information useful for me yet.
chicks

Post by chicks »

My LAI currently says I can spend $102K/year.
Financial Engines says $163K for "average" market conditions after retirement.
Firecalc says "A spending level of $186,394 provided a success rate of 100.0% (113 total cycles, of which 0 failed)", again after retirement.

I'm single, almost 60, and live on, max, $30K/year; save 3X that (with the company's 401K contributions included) in my 401K and Vanguard funds. Of course the company picks up most of my medical insurance, or I'd be spending a lot more.

If any of these are anywhere near accurate, looks like I'll have to figure out how to spend more. :mrgreen: Meanwhile, I'll continue my cheapskate ways.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

I've noticed PC hasn't synced with Vanguard since 4/16 - anyone else getting that problem?
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
RBDan

Post by RBDan »

Hello BogleHeads! This is my first post on the site and look forward to participating more in the future. There is soooo much I can learn from all of you.

I really liked Personal Capital when I used it but I was very concerned with giving them all my login info.

All of my accounts have online fraud insurance as long as I do NOT share my password with anyone. My concern is that if Personal Capital was hacked into and my logins we exposed (HeartBleed for example). Schwab, Mass Mutual, Scottrade etc could review their logs and say "We see that you are using Personal Capital, so you must have given them your username and password therefore you are not covered." I'm pretty sure that Personal Capital wouldn't offer to cover my losses.

How do you guys justify the risk?

Thanks
Last edited by RBDan on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This website offers investment advice. Part of using an investment advisory service is performing due diligence to understand what you are getting into. See the wiki: Investment adviser

From the site's Terms of Use, investment advice is provided by Personal Capital Advisors Corporation. Here's the SEC filing of Form ADV: IAPD - Identifying Information Section. The IARD/CRD Number: 155172. Enable browser cookies to perform the search.

To see this in one fell swoop, click on the "View All" link on the left-side menu.

From Personal Capital Advisors Wrap Fee Program Brochure 2014 (1/10/2014), the annualized fee for the Advisory Services is based on the following tiered schedule:
The first $250,000 0.95%
Next $250,000 0.90%
Next $500,000 0.85%
Next $4,000,000 0.80%
Above $5,000,000 0.75%
From within that same brochure, also note that funds are held by their broker, Pershing Advisor Solutions LLC.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.