Do you love your job? What do you do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
CoffeeAndBooks

Do you love your job? What do you do?

Post by CoffeeAndBooks » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:49 pm

It seems like a lot of people in this forum don't like the idea of working, and the hatred of that work is a motivator towards an early, successful retirement. So, Bogleheads, what do you like about your job?

IMD801

Re: Do you love your job? What do you do?

Post by IMD801 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Medical professional.

Love the science and problem solving.

Don't like the liability and having to deal with conditions and regulations from the system as a whole.

Would love to "retire" to practice medicine, part time, and voluntarily in underserved areas of the US and/or world.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:19 pm

I don't love my job but I position myself to have an interesting enough job which gives decent pay, max flexibility (work from home), no OT, and limited stress so that I can do what I do love which is spend time with my family.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Good question.

My job is a job is job is a job. I am not in love with my job. Good pay. Good benefits. Respect for employees is good. Reaching the end of the road, and it is time to give others the opportunity to excel.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

lump532

Post by lump532 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:48 pm

I am a Paramedic and a Chief Officer of a rural fire department and have worked in Emergency Services for 15 years. I love my profession, but I bounce around a lot because I love learning new things. It's not that I always dislike my job, it's just that I get bored if I'm not learning something new. That being said, I'd be very happy to spend the rest of my career working in emergency services.

My wife on the other hand is a Registered Nurse and hates it. She's working part time on my days off and stays home with our son the rest of the week.

We're Bogleheads because our professions doesn't pay a lot (enough to be comfortable, but not wealthy) and since I bounce around I'm unlikely to have a pension coming. My wife and I talk/dream about being our own bosses someday, but haven't found the right opportunity yet. It's kind of a conflicting desire for me, but I don't stress about it. If the right opportunity comes along we'll give it a try.

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:36 am

I am a senior mechanical engineer who works mostly on aerospace and on-orbit projects. I have designed and overseen construction of isolators on launch vehicles that protect satellites from damaging vibration during launch; adapters for multiple spacecraft to be carried by a single launch vehicle, dampers between satellites and their solar panels; parts of the now-defunct NASA Constellation rocket; and coded real-time software for the Air Force's Airborne Laser. It is very interesting work that continually pushes my design talents and inventiveness to new heights. I have been extremely happy with the pay and the work over the last 28 years. The one thing that I don't like is that I keep getting pushed more and more into management roles. I would rather be paid less and be able to engineer solutions as I have in the past. I enjoy managing projects, but I do not want to manage a team of people or get involved in office politics. I have passed up promotion to Associate Principal Engineer several times.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 am

Tortoise wrote:I have passed up promotion to Associate Principal Engineer several times.
Isn't Associate Principal Engineer still an engineer and not a manager?

I'm a software programmer and I enjoy my work. I don't see myself retiring early to quit my job. When I retire, I probably will still do something computer related or volunteer to fix computers.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 am

I love my job. I manage a software team at my megacorp, and occasionally get to do some engineering as well. Before I took on management a few years ago, I had done various forms of software engineering and science support for a few decades.

I get to talk with customers, work with product and engineering stakeholders, and define priorities. I also do the people management part. Always a challenge, always more to do, and always more to learn.

There are stressors. The hours can get long if I let them, and the stress levels can get high if I do not stay focussed on the goals. People keep secrets (justly) from their managers, and as long as I have an idea as to their win conditions, it works out. If, on the other hand, I misapprehend what they really want, it goes less well.

Before this, I worked in a number of different fields in both social and physical sciences. While I was doing simulation, systems engineering, and software engineering the entire time, they called it different things. Part of why I love STEM careers - you can usually find multiple different ways to get paid for the same skill set.

einstein

Post by einstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:43 am

As with most things, there is a good side and a bad side. Work on developing cancer drugs. Love the science, the use of my analytical abilities and collaborating w/my colleagues. Take pride in the results and value ability to uniquely contribute to the process. Don't like the ego's and politics that come w/working in large bureaucracy.

federal dinosaur

Post by federal dinosaur » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:13 am

I work for the taxpayers supporting a very complex aviation system (the maintenance side of the house, not Air Traffic control).
Last edited by federal dinosaur on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 am

I used to love it. Starting as a civil engineer 30 years ago, I enjoyed sitting behind a drafting table, sketching up designs on paper, performing calculations on paper. Now, the computer does all the fun stuff. These days, civil engineers are valued for their ability to operate software, which appeals to some, but not me. So I look forward to an early retirement.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:21 am

I don't love it. It's a job. It pays decently and has decent benefits. I'd quit tomorrow if I won the lottery. I work in marketing for a megacorp.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 am

IMD801 wrote:Medical professional.

Love the science and problem solving.

Don't like the liability and having to deal with conditions and regulations from the system as a whole.

Would love to "retire" to practice medicine, part time, and voluntarily in underserved areas of the US and/or world.
Likewise here. Taking care of patients is tops. The stress level rose as I grew older so much better now that I'm not doing it full-time anymore.

tacster

Post by tacster » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:03 am

I love my retirement. :beer
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 am

I am enjoying my retirement. I retired at 74.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:55 am

bogleblitz wrote:
Tortoise wrote:I have passed up promotion to Associate Principal Engineer several times.
Isn't Associate Principal Engineer still an engineer and not a manager?

I'm a software programmer and I enjoy my work. I don't see myself retiring early to quit my job. When I retire, I probably will still do something computer related or volunteer to fix computers.
In our office, the progression is Engineer, Project Engineer, Senior Engineer, Associate Principal Engineer, and finally, Principal Engineer. Each step gets more into management. Senior Engineer seems to be my Goldilocks position where the amount of engineering design work nicely offsets the management work. Associate Principal Engineers (APEs) typically oversee a group of engineers. It is the APE's responsibility to make sure that the engineers on their team are fully engaged with various paying projects. An APE has to continually write proposals and network to win new work to keep the engineers on their team employed. I have sort of branched off to the side of the hierarchy that I described. I write and win proposals for my own work, as well as the sub teams of technicians and test engineers necessary to complete a project, but I don't have to worry that people in my team always have paying work.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain

dgdevil

Post by dgdevil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:02 pm

I loved my old-school creative job, but hated my bosses. The feeling was mutual. Yada-yada, I don't get dressed very often.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 pm

I have generally enjoyed my job especially after I got into software work but it still takes up 40+ hours per week which limits other activities so my goal is to retire so that I can do other things and work software as a freelancer to the extent that I want without the current time commitment.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:06 pm

CoffeeAndBooks wrote:It seems like a lot of people in this forum don't like the idea of working, and the hatred of that work is a motivator towards an early, successful retirement.
This statement is a gross generalization that, in my opinion, really misses the mark as to why so many people visit and participate in this forum.

As for me, I work for the federal government and I would prefer not to provide any further details other than saying what I do is fairly important, I would like to think I'm pretty good at it and I enjoy the career I'm in immensely. Would I do it for free? No. Do I hope to retire from this some day? Yes. These are not however mutually exclusive concepts.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I sell software. When I land a big deal, it feels great. When I lose or am in a slump, it's down right depressing. That being said, I'm a competitive guy and generally like what I do.

jumpsalty

Post by jumpsalty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 pm

I went to school to be a software engineer and ended up dropping out to become a recruiter hiring for software engineers. I felt writing code was boring and I was never good at logic problems, but I am very competitive and like to work on short term projects so recruiting fits me well. Also helps that I get paid what VP's in other industries make and I'm only in my late 20s. Everyday is jam packed with stuff to do, and the list never ends which I like. All in all I couldn't think of doing anything else.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Like the job, hate the bureaucracy and politicking. Eliminate the last two and productivity could really take off. If I hit the lottery, I'll redirect my efforts to more fruitful causes. I work for a mega-corp.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:53 pm

I worked from age 14 (summers weekends holidays etc. during high school) until age 72. I retired because of some health problems.
If I had my choice I would be go back work immediately. I cannot think of a dozen days in my 58 years of working that I did not get up looking forward to going to work. It's not money - I get by relatively well on my retirement income.

My first job was digging holes to plant telephone poles in -- (by hand - no machine to help) I spent 30 years at the telephone company and 28 years manufacturing equipment and providing services for the telephone industry (in the USA and overseas).

My last full time job was Company President.

Did I love my job --Absolutely!

An ex-wife told me that my work was my vocation and my avocation!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:54 pm

My first job was was, at age 12, a pin setter in a bowling alley. It was fun earning money after school let out at 3:30 PM.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Topic Author
CoffeeAndBooks

Post by CoffeeAndBooks » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:50 pm

A lot of people seem to be in the science/technical field. Interesting!

JJP

Post by JJP » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Still 24, but I'm going on 3 years as a regional airline pilot. I was extremely lucky and fortunate to get the job far below minimum requirements at age 21. That's the beauty of some networking and connections. I love the flying aspect and still have the thrill every time I push the throttles up on takeoff or grease a landing. I do enjoy the lifestyle and being on the road. I couldn't work a 9-5 office job. That's not for me. I take full advantage of the benefits though. In the past 3 years, I've traveled all over the world (Dublin, Barcelona, Nice, Prague, Munich, Sydney, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Caribbean, and more) on my days off.

Unfortunately on the flip side, our industry has a lot of pitfalls (pay being the main one). There have also been a lot of cuts (no more pensions), pay losses, concessionary contracts, etc. Quality of life has decreased significantly, and a lot of guys are hurting. At the regional level, I fly with guys who are stuck because they can't take a pay cut to go to a major airline (Delta, United, American) and our health insurance prices continue to rise. Some eventually make the jump and suffer at the bottom of a new seniority list. The industry takes a big toll on family life until you get some seniority and hold a decent schedule. Some of the bitterness is infectious unfortunately, and it's everywhere. It is nice to get a breath of fresh air when you fly with people who are upbeat and don't dwell on it.

I'm not holding my breath, but I've got applications in to the major airlines. I'd like to make a career at United eventually but so would everyone else.

So I wait patiently and Boglehead away. :happy

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 pm

I do love my job. I work as a Physical therapist assistant. I didn't go back to school until I was 25. I spent 6 years doing manual labor i.e., running heavy equipment for an excavating job and doing lots of shovel/rake work. I don't consider what I do now "work". It's very satisfying to see a patient come in hurting and leave generally pain-free and back to leisure activities and their activities of daily living. The pay isn't great but the job satisfaction is.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:09 pm

I liked some of my jobs more than others. Even with the best ones, I would not use the word "love." Love belongs elsewhere.

I am an engineer, and my current job is quite fine. It's in the 80% percentile of satisfaction of the work I've done throughout my career and I would have gladly continued it. However, I have other interests that require more time and flexibility than I can get while I work. And so my reasons for upcoming retirement have little to do with the job satisfaction.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Sales....used to love it.

Now I really like it. I can see the writing on the wall, hence the slip in attitude. I absolutely love the interaction with my customers and finding solutions for new prospects.

Ed

SC Hoosier

Post by SC Hoosier » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:43 pm

I look forward to retirement a lot. Too much. I have read the Ernie Zelinski books on retirement. So I have been trying to incorporate some of my retirement dreams into my life now. I asked myself what would I do if I didn't need money. I would teach kids who don't have good parents, or any parents at all, how to live life. I would be a father to the fatherless. So my wife and I took our 3 kids and live with 7 kids that belong to someone else at a children's home. It is now our vocation. At the end of my life, I'll be glad I did this. I don't think I'll ever get to the financial numbers that are discussed here but we are saving enough to live on in retirement if the markets stick to their averages.

In addition to the retirement living today subject: I've started running and am on a crusade to play golf courses that I've seen in PGA tournaments. All things that are good for me and I can afford them today. I still have a way to go in the contentment department, but I'm closer than I was. I know it's between the ears.

I do love my job. I love the kids and they love us.

Hoosier
I live in No Payment Land. It is wonderful, and I'd love for you to live here too.

investomajic

Post by investomajic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Your question could mean 2 different things as I do like the idea of working, but I certainly don't love my job.

1. Do you love your job?. My answer to this would be no. I don't love office politics. I don't love trying to force my creative zone to work between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday to Friday.

2. Do you love your skills?. My answer to this is yes. I went to school for it and enjoyed every minute. I am constantly learning and expanding upon my skills and love every minute of it. Sometimes I get so into "learning mode" that I have to force myself to step away.

My idea of retirement is to start working for myself in a way that utilizes my skills but eliminates all of things I hate about my job (see above.)

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm

CoffeeAndBooks wrote:It seems like a lot of people in this forum don't like the idea of working, and the hatred of that work is a motivator towards an early, successful retirement. So, Bogleheads, what do you like about your job?
Well, I don't agree with your assumption that hatred of work is a motivator towards retirement for a lot of people, but to answer your question I like the intellectual, creative and relationship building aspects of my job. I am in a specialized technical field. My motivation for retirement is partly a desire for financial independence, and partly a desire to focus on my many interests, including but not limited to my line of work.

jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:07 pm

People who save while living miserable lives just to fund some retirement are worshiping a false idol.
The point of frugality is control of your life.
Use your savings in order to control what sort of career you want.

I enjoy my job.
I used my savings in order to achieve and justify it.

Hustling for money is for poor people.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:16 pm

I design web sites and have been since well before the first dot com boom. I love it, and probably always will, even if clients aren't always the easiest to work with. That said, for me I'm looking to early retirement because ageism is rampant in this industry. I've seen it happen to too many people. Billing and working extra hours contracting now is a hedge against the inevitable downfall later when I get older. I'm just happy I'm doing what I love because otherwise I don't know how I'd continue to do it (I'm on the verge of burning out as is).

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:18 pm

jackpullo
^
Wrong. Hustling is for con artists and criminals. Being poor has nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustling
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

apayne

Post by apayne » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:47 pm

High school teacher and coach.
Enjoy the interaction with the kids and the (hopefully) positive influence I'm having at the school.
Strongly dislike the politics inherent in a high academic, competitive institution.
The lifestyle as a whole is enjoyable, but I can't say that I'm thrilled for the first bell to ring each morning

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I love my job. I'm a flight attendant for a major carrier and I've been doing it for just over 30 years. I love flying, serving others, chatting with the other crew members, problem solving, and seeing the world! At my seniority, I could work only 9 days a month and that would meet by obligation to count as a full month! I have the option to work international flights as well as domestic flights. My goal to retire at 60 has been changed to retire at 65. Why? Our pension was frozen last year (will never accumulate more and will not be adjusted for inflation) and the benefit of retiree health care was taken away. My job has changed a lot since 9-11. Because of 9-11, I'm hyper sensitive about safety and security while I work. Last year I saved a man onboard who went into cardiac arrest. I had to shock him 5 times and we broke 4 or 5 of his ribs during CPR. I would have to say that was the highlight of my career. As long as I look forward to going to work everyday I don't see any reason to retire early. It's been the perfect career for me and my family!

dgdevil

Post by dgdevil » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:50 pm

gailcox wrote: At my seniority, I could work only 9 days a month and that would meet by obligation to count as a full month!
A good reminder to avoid airline stocks.

shaboob

Post by shaboob » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm

Edited.
Last edited by shaboob on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hope is not a strategy. That's why we have contingency plans.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:57 pm

My retirement goals have to do with just wanting financial independence. I am not yet anxious to leave the workplace. In fact, I have mild anxiety about how I will do and feel once I leave.

I very much appreciate my job and feel like I am in a great place. The raw technical manual performance that the job entails is still very engaging and rewarding for me. It is enjoyable unto itself. Dealing with people can be rewarding but I do have a hard time managing entitlement attitudes. One negative interaction can counteract ten positive ones for me.

SDBoggled

Post by SDBoggled » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:17 am

Another engineer, I very much enjoy the flow of learning/building/creating with a team and prefer small companies with lots of job variety. My objective is to love my job and to be happy to work some time at night/weekends like a hobby.

I know I only like the job if I have to struggle to make myself work outside hours and then it is time to find something new.

SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 am

Naval Officer - started as an Enlisted Sailor out of high school, was selected for NROTC scholarship, currently active duty as a mid-level officer.

Pros: Travel; job stability; make enough to provide for my family; health and retirement benefits; management/leadership experience; level of responsibility at a young age; camaraderie with those you work with (typically within the same age range as yourself); knowing that if you don't like your current job, it is going to change in 2-3 years; continuous training and educational opportunities; being approached by complete strangers who just want to say "thank you."; friends all over the country;

Cons: Deployments (brutal on spouse and kids); having to move every 2-3 years; living off of one income (my wife is educated and very competent but it is extremely difficult to establish yourself when you will be moving within 18 months - she most recently found an outstanding job that was going to compensate her very well but she had to turn it down because we were moving in three months.); working in a giant bureaucracy; being used by politicians for gamesmanship (the Navy, not myself, individually); uncertainty surrounding retirement actually existing when it's time to punch out; knowing that if you really like your job, it is going to change in 2-3 years; GS supervisors with no prior service; inability to buy a house and put work into it to get it just the way you want it (time to move!); kids don't have an answer to, "where are you from?"; inability to consistently furnish/decorate a house (four most recent houses were 700 sq ft, 2240 sq ft, 1400 sq ft, 2500 sq ft.); no such thing as set working hours; no such thing as 2-weeks notice; distance to family (parents, siblings, cousins, etc.); very tough to get involved with a community/church with deployments and moving ever 2-3 years;

Do I love my job? Not this tour. Loved my last tour.

Would I do it again -- Yes; the highs outnumber the lows. If retirement goes away --- not even a remote chance.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:13 am

investomajic wrote: I am constantly learning and expanding upon my skills and love every minute of it. Sometimes I get so into "learning mode" that I have to force myself to step away.

My idea of retirement is to start working for myself in a way that utilizes my skills but eliminates all of things I hate about my job (see above.)
Numchuck skills, bowstaff skills....
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:50 am

I am now a Professor Emeritus If there is a better job in the world than being a Professor, its being Professor Emeritus.

As to an research university academic career:

There is no job in the world that can be as intellectually and personally challenging.
But pay is lousy for the time spent in preparation.

The working hours for a dedicated academic can be a killer in the 30s and 40s. And you will take endless abuse from those who have never done it and have no idea what is involved in getting NSF or NIH funding.
I was a full Prof. in a top 25 Research University by the time I was 40. Keeping up that level of effort to age 60 is brutal. Many retire or become administrators. Others choose to shift to a lower pressure track, often by accepting a promotion to move to a less stressful institution.

The best part of academia is that in the main it is a real meritocracy. You get an idea and you research it and you publish it under your name for the whole world to review. Your peers debate the value of your contribution. You can't buy your way in to the top levels, or stay in without constant effort. It is an incredible "rush" to be a recognized world expert in your area. In particular Professors do not really "work" for the management of the institution. It is the management's job to help make you productive, and they bask in the reflected glory of your accomplishments.

When you finally get tired of the Funding grind, you can take Emeritus status. then your Job is whatever you want it to be.

jbeck6

Post by jbeck6 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 am

In car sales. I detest the job. Combative atmosphere where everyone from your clients to your coworkers and bosses distrust you from the beginning. Generally expected to work 55 hours a week with more about once a month, no paid vacations, no match 401K, bad healthcare plan. Of the 10 managers I have worked with 9 have been divorced and the other was never married.

On the plus side, the pay can be good, I have been able to learn about all sorts of topics from clients while we wait for the finance guy (elevator repair, running a trucking company, real estate, I even had a guy who worked as a trader suggest buying Mastercard right at $450 :greedy ).

I'd like to think I would get out ASAP, but I want to save up a cushion first just in case I end up bouncing around while I find the right position.

avenger

Post by avenger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:48 am

Love it. MD in an academic environment.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 am

I am the university's discrimination complaint investigator. Have been for 10 years. I handle all internal complaints of discrimination by and against employees in a huge research/doctoral granting Midwestern institution. I often do not sleep at night worrying about my cases. Being smart and behaving in an intelligent way do not always go hand in hand. Prior to that I spent 30 years in the federal government most of it in non-discrimination work and some in the criminal area. Nearly 40 years of listening to other people's tales of woe and grief does tend to wear you out. The feds are also putting intense pressure on colleges. It's more than I want to deal with. My current employers have been wonderful but I intend to retire this summer and will receive an emeritus title, which means a lot to me although I do not intend to stay around this cold place to take advantage of it. The university job, except for the pay, was much more fun than the federal job where my issues and the treatment of federal employees varied depending on which party was in control of the presidency. My wife, also a retired fed, is leaving her state job shortly and like me will be receive federal and state pensions and social security. She will not be subject to WEP so she'll collect full social security benefits. Mine are reduced. We worked for the federal government for a combined 58 years and retired, collectively, as a GS-29/18.

Village Idiot

Post by Village Idiot » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:54 am

Airline Pilot. Best office window in the world.
"The clairvoyant society of London will not meet on Tuesday due to unforeseen circumstances"

Garco

Post by Garco » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 am

Professor Emeritus wrote:I am now a Professor Emeritus If there is a better job in the world than being a Professor, its being Professor Emeritus.

As to an research university academic career:

There is no job in the world that can be as intellectually and personally challenging.
But pay is lousy for the time spent in preparation.

The working hours for a dedicated academic can be a killer in the 30s and 40s. And you will take endless abuse from those who have never done it and have no idea what is involved in getting NSF or NIH funding.
I was a full Prof. in a top 25 Research University by the time I was 40. Keeping up that level of effort to age 60 is brutal. Many retire or become administrators. Others choose to shift to a lower pressure track, often by accepting a promotion to move to a less stressful institution.

The best part of academia is that in the main it is a real meritocracy. You get an idea and you research it and you publish it under your name for the whole world to review. Your peers debate the value of your contribution. You can't buy your way in to the top levels, or stay in without constant effort. It is an incredible "rush" to be a recognized world expert in your area. In particular Professors do not really "work" for the management of the institution. It is the management's job to help make you productive, and they bask in the reflected glory of your accomplishments.

When you finally get tired of the Funding grind, you can take Emeritus status. then your Job is whatever you want it to be.
+1
Ditto (except for me the pay was pretty good). For first 2/3 of career who needs sleep? For last 1/3 I was still winning major grants (NSF etc.) but my energy lagged. Now I'm soon to be retired.

Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 am

I am a middle school teacher. I love working with the kids. I don't like working for the state.