Opening Day

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Mr. Stubacca

Opening Day

Post by Mr. Stubacca » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Well opening day is here. Any baseball fans out there?

I am a big Mets fan, hoping for a world series win- its been a long time since 1986- geez I was a freshman in college then :shock:
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Petrocelli

Oh Yeah....

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:11 pm

Baseball fans? Are you kidding? With this avatar? Opening pitch in about 5 minutes!

My fantasy team (NL only) is ready to go. My first 5 picks:

Pujols
Aramis Ramirez
Andruw Jones
Smoltz
Sheets.

Not bad....
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Maurice

First post on Bogleheads

Post by Maurice » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 pm

It may as well be a post about the Red Sox.

Just made my first avatar ever. I don't know if this will work or not. The preview doesn't show the avatar. If you cannot tell, it is an illustration of Dice-K. Feedback welcome.

btw, NYY stands for No Year for Yankees!

Mo

norm

Post by norm » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 am

I had to change my avatar to show support for the greatest franchise in the history of pro sports. My first job as a teenager was selling pennants, etc. outside of Yankee Stadium.

Mr. Stubacca, I was happy to see the Mets win their opening game. I used to live 1 mile from Shea.

Petrocelli, I was living in the Boston area when Rico was playing, he was a great ball player.

Soaker

Extra Innings battle rages on

Post by Soaker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:50 am

For those who have subscribed to the "Extra Innings" television package (for access to out-of-market games) in past years, it's still a matter of negotiation as to whether the package will be available on cable and/or Dish Network or whether it will be exclusively available on DirecTV. As of now, cable and Dish do not have the rights to carry EI so don't look for the games there. Maury Brown at Biz of Baseball is posting regular updates on the negotiations.

Link to Biz of Baseball Extra Innings updates

Edit/clarify: This does not affect the ability of fans to watch their local team on TV; the Red Sox fan living in New England can still get all the Red Sox games on local television. I'm talking about the Red Sox fan living in L.A. who has bought the EI package in order to be able to watch every Red Sox game the last few years. As of now, the L.A. fan needs DirecTV satellite service to be able to purchase this package. Whether cable or Dish Network subscribers will be able to purchase it depends on the outcome of the negotiations. Believe me, the baseball blogosphere has been up in arms about this for the last couple of months.

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:04 pm

Yes!

Astros fan here but I grew up in NE Ohio so I still follow the Indians too.

Got my scoresheet and tickets to tonight's game at Minute Maid ready to go and am listening to the Nats-Marlins game over the Internet. Opening Day is one of the best days of the year!

Jeff

orthros

Post by orthros » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Frobie wrote:Yes!

Astros fan here but I grew up in NE Ohio so I still follow the Indians too.

Got my scoresheet and tickets to tonight's game at Minute Maid ready to go and am listening to the Nats-Marlins game over the Internet. Opening Day is one of the best days of the year!

Jeff
Jeff, I grew up in NE Ohio and am still a diehard Indians fan. Small world!

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 pm

orthros wrote: Jeff, I grew up in NE Ohio and am still a diehard Indians fan. Small world!
Smaller than you think. I (and most of the rest of my family) went to Ohio State too. I feel bad that I'm going to miss tonight's championship game but after the thumping we took in the football championship game I'm not sure I'd have the stomach to watch it anyway!

jeffyscott

Re: Opening Day

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Mr. Stubacca wrote:Well opening day is here. Any baseball fans out there?

I am a big Mets fan, hoping for a world series win- its been a long time since 1986- geez I was a freshman in college then :shock:
I grew up a Cubs fan and am now Brewers fan...so give me a break with your whining :roll: :wink: .

For me "winning" = making the playoffs and this could be the year for the Brewers. Its been 25 years since they went to the WS, and 25 years before that the Milwaukee Braves won.

At least you are not a Yankees fan, that would be like cheering for the sun to rise. :P
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

TigerTim

Post by TigerTim » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:03 pm

Go Yankees! Hopefully the boys can bring another World Series championship to the Boss this year. It's been a long time!

Tim

Kenkat

Opening Day

Post by Kenkat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:27 pm

Opening day here in Cincinnati is HUGE - home of professional baseball's first team. 73 degrees and sunny. Unfortunately, not at game :(

Go Reds!

Ken

norm

Post by norm » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Final score Yankees 9 - Tampa Bay 5. Mariano Rivera strikes out the side in the 9th inning. A great way to start the season off.Image

gkaplan

My team has started off with a bag!

Post by gkaplan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 pm

0-1
Gordon

Abciximab

Post by Abciximab » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 pm

I was so close to skipping work today for baseball. Instead I’m at my desk staring at ESPN GameCast. I can’t complain too much, though. The DBacks just pulled ahead of the Rockies by one run. Should be just the first of many wins on the way to another NL West pennant for the DBacks.
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest - Benjamin Franklin

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:52 pm

It was announced today that the Chicago Cubs franchise is for sale. A good investment?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Sam I Am

Hey Norm..............

Post by Sam I Am » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

achie25

Post by achie25 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:32 pm

Go Tigs!

What a great summer last year. Was a lot of fun to watch.

Great lineup this year and the bullpen is nasty!

Too bad I lost $50 on them today!