What was your dumbest financial decision?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Skizbo

What was your dumbest financial decision?

Post by Skizbo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Hello Bogleheads. In order to make me feel better about some bonehead financial decisions I have made, I'd like to hear what your dumbest financial decision was. Mine was a $33k investment many years ago in pay telephones. Yes, you read that right, pay telephones. In the entire universe of possible investments, I chose pay telephones.

I had just lost my job in a merger so was looking to turn some of my severance into some financial independence. The company making the pitch would place our phones in "high-volume" locations and all we needed to do was collect the $300-$500 per month from each location and put it in our bank account. The whole plan seemed to be endorsed by a very well known company in the industry so what could possibly go wrong? Plenty. After the phones sat in our high-volume location (i.e. our basement) for 6 months, I joined a class action lawsuit and recovered $15K and was able to ship the phones back free of charge. I felt fortunate to recoup some of the investment, but to this day I wonder what was I thinking?

Skizbo
:oops:

rob

Re: What was your dumbest financial decision?

Post by rob » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Cashed out a retirement plan when I left an employer because... well.. because I was an idiot. This wasn't just a regular cash value plan/401k plan... no that would be less painful... this was one of those pension deals that you got a pension for life at 55 based on that amt growing over decades - all carried by well.. something that will always be around, so no bankruptcy risk.

Then I went and spent the dollars and saved not a cent..... I mean that's the point of compounding right :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Altephor

Post by Altephor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Keeping upwards of 30k in a normal savings account for the past 3 years. Could have made an additional 15k if I had just stuck it in a total market or S&P fund.

Sam314159

Post by Sam314159 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Cashed out my 401k when I changed jobs. Dumb dumb dumb. Only silver lining is that I was 28, so 401k wasn't worth a whole lot. Maybe 10k.

WHL

Post by WHL » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Altephor wrote:Keeping upwards of 30k in a normal savings account for the past 3 years. Could have made an additional 15k if I had just stuck it in a total market or S&P fund.
Assumuing that 30k is your emergency fund, you have to get past the feelings of "look what I could have earned" and into the feelings of "damn, I'm pretty secure."

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Taking out a variable annuity at age 30. I was newly overseas and seduced by tax-deferred income as well as the fact that the company would accept me from abroad. Why not an IRA? I had no concept of expenses.

OK so I finally got around to IRAs and did CD only IRAs at an (international) bank. Sigh... Newly married and listening to my spouse...

Then used an advisor at 1.5% AUM and 1%+ERs. No excuse here except that I was back in the States over the holidays and the advisor agreed to meet me. Everyone was gone for the holidays.

But the dumbest thing ever was I kept writing off bogleheads as being too cheesy because of the bogglehead on the book covers. Don't judge a book by its cover is such a well known and tired cliche.

Ok and then there was letting it slip to Vanguard that I am overseas. Immediately frozen accounts. I mean hey I do pay my taxes and the 529 plan I transferred from used to not care at all.

And beyond dumb though and this is awful...makes me sick awful...is that I limited my mother's visits to us because I worried about her costs. She came to help with the the baby for three months and wanted to come back repeatedly but I seriously didn't understand her finances and thought her comments about the first class flight on her credit cards meant she should be saving money. And then too the potential costs of uncovered overseas medial expenses...unless we got a policy. She had health issues you know. Seeing what she had when she died, I could have let her come as often as she wanted.

Pay telephones... Yeah I mean there is cash coming in right! Makes sense.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Bought a bio-tech that claimed it could make artificial red blood cells or something along those lines - I lost 60-75% of my investment, um I mean speculation. Thankfully, I set limits on my speculation so my potential losses were capped. Now when I get "hot tips" on bio-techs I listen politely but take no action.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

moshe

Post by moshe » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:14 pm

I bought an internet stock on the "advise" of my broker and lost it all when all the worthless .com stocks crashed. That was the last time i ever listened to an investment "adviser" and started doing my own research.

So what was "dumb" turned me into a value DCA/DRIP investor.... :sharebeer
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

john94549

Post by john94549 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:16 pm

When I was but a lad of eight years or so, back in 1955, I thought stamp collecting would project me into the upper strata of wealthy folks.

Wrong. All those stamps I collected, try to use them on envelopes. As they are worth face, or less.

My baseball card collection, now, that would have been worth a fair chunk of change. My Mom threw it out, to make room for her sewing supplies. But, then, that was her dumbest financial decision, not mine.

Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:19 pm

rob wrote:Cashed out a retirement plan when I left an employer because... well.. because I was an idiot. This wasn't just a regular cash value plan/401k plan... no that would be less painful... this was one of those pension deals that you got a pension for life at 55 based on that amt growing over decades - all carried by well.. something that will always be around, so no bankruptcy risk.

Then I went and spent the dollars and saved not a cent..... I mean that's the point of compounding right :-)
I did the same thing. This wasn't my only dumb financial mistake, but probably the worst.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)

IMD801

Post by IMD801 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Playing the new car/leasing game for several years.

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Making a quick 20k trading options in '98 and thinking I got this down to a Science. Lost nearly all of those gains in about 3 months.
Also, traded penny stocks and looked like a genious. Worse result than the options as I doubled Down and lost even more.

dad2000

Post by dad2000 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Probably not the worst thing in the world, but not signing up for the TSP when I was in the military. I would love to have some G Fund in my bond allocation.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Hiring a financial adviser and then asking him what individual stocks I should purchase. And he recommended some doozies, and I listened.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Trusting my sister when we settled my mother's estate.

abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Waiting to start investing in TSP.

I opted to not invest in TSP for the first 4 years or so while I was in the military because its funds were just 'average'. How little I knew at the time...
To make matters worse I was investing in a taxable account with an investment adviser.

Fortunately, I read the Intelligent Investor, found Bogleheads, read the Bogleheads guide, and have since maxed out my TSP contributions every year and eliminated the 15 funds the investment adviser recommended for a simpler indexing portfolio.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Responded to a cold call from a stockbroker, targeted I am sure to professionals just starting out. He gradually drew me in over a couple of years and lost me a bunch of money on stocks his firm was promoting.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:31 pm

marrying the wrong person, and then getting divorced.

linguini

Post by linguini » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:41 pm

I don't know if I would call it a mistake in the same sense, but I declined a very generous job offer about four years ago from a well known start up when it was still on the smaller side but clearly established and on the way up. If I had taken the job offer, the stocks would now be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, my net worth a couple times over. I don't really regret it though, things worked out fine anyway. No reason to feel bad about what could have been, I still feel lucky and will continue to make the best out of what I have. :)

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Investing in taxable before maxing 401 that matched unlimited dollar per dollar :oops:
John
Last edited by Johm221122 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Rolling a 401k from a previous employer's plan to an IRA at A.G. Edwards. I was young, and dumb and bought their sales pitch hook, line and sinker... Front loads, lots of different fund families all purchased at the market peak right before the great tech wreck :oops:

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm

It was before I had heard of Jack Bogle, or the Bogleheads, and thought that a Financial Advisor's recommendation and guidance would be in my best interest.....especially because they were a friend. Oh, how naïve was I.

Now I know, friend or not, Financial Advisors act only in their own best interests in the form of their commissions.
18 years ago, I asked my friend to open a brokerage account and recommend stocks for me. I invested my savings of around $25,000. Started out with some good stocks for the time (Dell, GE, Microsoft, a pharmaceutical). I sold when she advised me ( making a profit each time) and invested in whatever she advised me. Looking back, I was so stupid! Even though my profile stated long-term growth as the priority, with income as secondary, I ended up with a portfolio of closed end funds ( some of the worst in the industry) and an MLP. When I became uncomfortable owning things I didn't understand, and told her I wanted to sell ( while I still had most of the principal) she always told me about what a high return I was making. I finally told her that even with those high returns, it would take over thirty years just to get my losses back.

So smart,so late...as my dad used to say. :annoyed

nanosour

Post by nanosour » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:49 pm

WCOM! Need I say more?

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Thinking that a diversified portfolio consisted of 1/3 each stock, bonds and a money market fund.

For at least 20 years.

I watched the money market fund balance lag year after year and never did anything about it.

Ouch!

And then I discovered Vanguard and this forum.

:happy

ramsfan

Post by ramsfan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Invested in a startup bank in 2006. Ya know, back when all banks were can't miss. Was worth zero 2 years later when FDIC took over.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 pm

I good "friend" who worked for a company Individual Securities, sold me a silver mine stock that had fantastic "projections".
I was 22 and thought he knew what he was talking about. It was a pump and dump. The good news: my folks wouldn't lend me money for it, so I only lost about $600 ($1200 in today's dollars).
The firm was suspended from NASD in 1989 for failing to file financial information.
Lesson learned!! He took about a dozen of his friends. I later learned he had a coke "habit".
Years later I saw the movie boiler room.

TheGooch

Post by TheGooch » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:28 pm

I've made a lot of doozies. I'd say my worst financial decision was to not protect my retirement savings. I cashed out several traditional IRA's, and the last one was my 401(k) when I switched from a regular employee to a W-2 contractor in 2008. It wasn't until 2013 that I started investing again, and this year I finally get access to a 401(k) plan again. The money went to car repairs, trips, and wild parties. It was really fun, but really dumb.

I always wonder how much money I would have today if I hadn't cashed out my first IRA 26 years ago and kept saving. Even if I had just kept that last 401(k) I'd be way ahead of where I am now.
Spend Less Than You Make For Goodness Sake

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 pm

I've owned three stocks that I held too long or sold at the wrong time. Most have these types of stories. One was UST ( United States Tobacco), maker of smokeless tobacco and owner of the Columbia Crest winery in the Northwest, a gift from my grandfather. After years of stellar performance, it went dormant during Clinton's administration. I grew impatient and sold. Had I held and sold during W's administration, I would have made substantially more money. They were subsequently purchased by Altria. I just did a quick calculation, maybe $40,000.00 or more.
The others were telephone stocks that plummeted in 2000/2001.

Ignis

Post by Ignis » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 am

Opened an IRA in 2007 with my bank, which lost about 50% of its value by 2009, so I sold it to "stop the bleeding." Then I cashed a 457b plan out when I left an employer in 2011 (only about $10k).

In 2012 I found the Bogleheads, started investing again, and put myself ahead of most of my peers in retirement assets. If only I had known in 2007 what I know now... I lost out on $25k worth of Roth space, plus whatever I could have put into company retirement plans.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:51 am

I went to AUM-based financial advisors who sold funds with loads. Fortunately, I very quickly discovered this site -- after I asked one of them about indexing, and he responded that the S&P only averages about 2% per year. That didn't sound right, and in the process of fact checking, discovered this site. Let's compound that error with the fact that, before going to them, I had read a Walter Updegrave book, so I should have known better. It didn't cost me all that much in the end, especially since some money I already had (in the form of what was once a trust my parents set up for me -- mid-four figures, we weren't rich by any stretch of the imagination) was in similar funds.

More recently, and I think less forgivable for me, is that I had it in my head at the start of 2013 that my income for 2013 would either be out of the range of Roth contributions entirely (yes, I'm aware of backdoor) or would be within the range of allowing a traditional contribution. So I didn't make an IRA contribution for the year for a while. In retrospect, how could I have thought there was this reasonable strip of income range that I'd entirely avoid, without knowing which side I'd miss to?

Just found out earlier today - when doing my 2013 taxes - that nope, smack dab in the middle -- can easily make a Roth contribution without going backdoor, AGI isn't anywhere near deductions for t-IRA. So I could have put $5500 into my Roth IRA 14 months ago... and that's all in VTSAX (bonds are in the traditional portion of my portfolio). So there's... what, $2000 worth of Roth space I could have had? That's a lot to a young man!

Fortunately, I had the $5500 for 2013 contribution (sigh) set aside in an MM for when I calculated my taxes, so I'd know if I could or couldn't. So at least 2013's contribution has now been made. And I'll finish up 2014's contribution -- my AGI will be about the same for 2014 as it was in 2013 -- in the next two months, so at least that mistake isn't repeated as much. And I'll have 2015's ready for January 2 of that year.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

Gingersnap

Post by Gingersnap » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 am

Not my dumbest , but here goes. Not opening a Roth IRA withr my daughter while she was in high school and had earned income . Finally doing it this year and she's a senior in college.

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:38 am

I've probably made worse decisions than this, but the one that comes to mind:
Using margin without fully understanding the risks. With more knowledge of market history and volatility, I wouldn't have done it. It worked out fine for me, but didn't have to. Could have set my accumulation back quite a bit with a big enough global market crash, even if there was a full market recovery.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:20 am

I have posted this before but it is always good to remind myself

The only individual stock I ever bought was Compaq. I loved the machines and I thought the company was brilliant. I bought the stock in 1984 and rode it up . I sold it and bought it back on black Monday in 1987. (big profit) I held on through all the furor of the early 90s. I owned a lot of it . By 1999 I really thought my Compaq stock would fund our early retirement. But the DEC acquisition was a disaster and the company destroyed itself.
Compaq went from over $50 a share to $23 in a matter of weeks. Finally when HP took over they paid $11 a share .
Given that I paid less than a dollar a share equivalent It was still a very tidy profit.

But I learned a great deal about my own investing limitations.
It's a sobering experience to open a statement and realize that you lost 3 year's salary in a month

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:34 am

Skizbo (original poster) wrote:Hello Bogleheads. In order to make me feel better about some bonehead financial decisions I have made,
If you'd like to feel even better, just use that forum search box to look for the terms "financial mistake" and "investing mistake." This subject has been addressed on the forum multiple times in the past, and human nature guarantees an inexhaustible supply of new material. :)

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 am

Converting a Vanguard IRA into a New York Life Variable Annuity and keeping it there for a couple of years because of a financial advisor's "advice" (meaning, what was best for his wallet, not mine). I came to my senses last year and got that converted back to Vanguard.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:12 am

dumbest financial decisions - spending money to impress women or others a long time ago in my career. buying expensive cars (that I could afford) but didn't need. And not having a more aggressive asset allocation when younger.

A dollar saved, and put into a high expense actively managed large cap fund (anti boglehead) would have done better than any of the above. Its not always about expense ratios - a dollar saved is a dollar saved.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 am

Biggest financial mistake was probably going to work for the prestigious university at a salary that was a quarter of what I would have made in the private sector. It turned out not to be a mistake in terms of career, family and health so everything works out in the end. One of the best decisions I made was to opt out of the university's pension plan and become a Boglehead. Said pension plan has been embroiled in litigation for the last 10 years due to allegations of underfunding and misappropriation of funds and while my peers are delaying retirement due to the uncertainty, I am ready to hang 'em up. Thank you Mr. Bogle (and luck!)
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 am

In the mid 1980's I bought a stock. This was the pre-internet days. The companies main business was to pipe in country music to hotels/motels in the western half of the US. I kid you not. The company was endorsed by a male tv personality that most would recognize. The stock went to near zero. I lost a few thousand $ but that was a lot of money for me at the time.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56 am

dumbest financial decisions - spending money to impress women
Just envision a scenario where you take a woman out for a lovely dinner and then pull out a two for one coupon with your credit card to pay. A boglehead compatible woman would be impressed; this could be a good screening mechanism to eliminate incompatible partners AND save money.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 am

Worst decision:

Paying 25% of my gains last year in advisory fees when counting high ER's and 12b's, and even more of a percentage of gains in the previous 4 years. Taking advice of the same firm to convert 1/3 of my portfolio at the time to a fixed annuity for 5 years paying 2.75% that won't mature until 3/15, thus tying up 200k during 5 of 6 years at the end of my accumulation stage.

Best decision:

Following the advice on this forum. Cutting my losses and transferring to a 3 fund portfolio at Vanguard.

dhodson

Post by dhodson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:37 am

Allowing someone whom i thought would look out for me and do the right thing to manage my money. Turns out he was nothing but an insurance sales person. My retirement plan was made up of whole life (and to boot he set it such that it wasnt over funded or anything but instead zero cash value until the end of the 3rd year) and a deferred annuity. Lost a lot of money there. Only good news is that it forced me to educate myself.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:57 am

dhodson wrote: Only good news is that it forced me to educate myself.
plus 10

I feel I am somewhat of a hypocrite because I advocate taking the emotions out of investment decisions but am still struggling with my anger at my previous investment firm. Perhaps that's due to my discovery of their self-serving "advice" being so recent. Some say it is the investor's fault for not being educated in the true costs of management, but that does not excuse a lack of ethics by some in the investment industry who prey on those most vulnerable.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Leaders, good morning/afternoon/evening

Good conversation.

(1) Dumbest financial decision - Not investing in a company offering a guaranteed return of 48% annually investing in foreign exchange, this was recommended by a good friend who invested all his money (a large amount which was reserved to pay for his home mortgage), my good friend collected 4% each month for a few months and I missed the opportunity to collect my monthly 4% returns.

(2) Smartest financial decision - Not investing in a company offering a guaranteed return of 48% annually investing in foreign exchange, this was recommended by a good friend who invested all his money (a large amount which was reserved to pay for his home mortgage), my good friend collected 4% each month for a few months--and then lost his pants when the Ponzi scheme exploded.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 pm

nanosour wrote:WCOM! Need I say more?
+1 - but the valuable lesson learned was to not listen to stock touts on the internet :!:

reisner

Post by reisner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I had a pair of shoes custom made in Italy for $800. I have worn them only three times. Size 9 if anyone's interested.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:38 pm

nanosour wrote:WCOM! Need I say more?
I had a job offer to join them in Clinton, MS at the height of the tech bubble. Maybe my smartest decision was to stay put with my current employer :happy

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Fresh out of college, bought myself a new TV on my credit card for about $500. When the bill arrived, even though I could have paid it in full, decided not to. The next month, a whopping $25 in interest! WTF, I thought to myself (though the acronym had not yet made it into the lexicon; how I long for simpler times :), but I digress). At that rate, in a year, I'd pay about 50% of my original purchase price for a stupid TV! That thought didn't sit well with me, so I paid it off the next month and never carried a balance on a credit card again. All in all, at a cost of only $25, probably the highest value per unit cost I ever made. ;)
Steve

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Skizbo wrote:Hello Bogleheads. In order to make me feel better about some bonehead financial decisions I have made, I'd like to hear what your dumbest financial decision was. Mine was a $33k investment many years ago in pay telephones. Yes, you read that right, pay telephones. In the entire universe of possible investments, I chose pay telephones.

I had just lost my job in a merger so was looking to turn some of my severance into some financial independence. The company making the pitch would place our phones in "high-volume" locations and all we needed to do was collect the $300-$500 per month from each location and put it in our bank account. The whole plan seemed to be endorsed by a very well known company in the industry so what could possibly go wrong? Plenty. After the phones sat in our high-volume location (i.e. our basement) for 6 months, I joined a class action lawsuit and recovered $15K and was able to ship the phones back free of charge. I felt fortunate to recoup some of the investment, but to this day I wonder what was I thinking?

Skizbo
:oops:
The important question to ask yourself is: what did you learn from your mistake?
Steve

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Previous threads:
Financial Mistakes you have made- non-investing
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37041

Your worst investing mistake (2011 version)
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69004

Your worst investing mistake (2007 version)
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3313

Quiz: what do the latter two have in common? What can we expect in 2015?

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:12 pm

[quote

Just envision a scenario where you take a woman out for a lovely dinner and then pull out a two for one coupon with your credit card to pay. A boglehead compatible woman would be impressed; this could be a good screening mechanism to eliminate incompatible partners AND save money.[/quote]

This is what my husband did on our first date over 30 years ago! :sharebeer
Last edited by Gnirk on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.