Thinking about Amica Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rec7

Thinking about Amica Insurance

Post by rec7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 am

A called Amica for a quote it was about $325 cheaper a year for a house and one car. But they have a 2% deductible of the houses value on wind and hail. So on my home I would have to pay for about 75% of the cost of a new roof. Right now I am with Allied and would pay about 16% of the cost of a new roof. I am having a hard time weighting these two choices. I have a very thick asphalt shingles and have been told that it is very hard to get a hail claim on a shingle like that. So I am kind of stumped on what to do.

frugaltype

Re: Thinking about Amica Insurance

Post by frugaltype » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 am

There was a hailstorm where I live shortly after the house was stained and a new roof was put on. The house shingles really took it in the neck, but the roof shingles had no visible damage.

There are wind ratings on shingles. Your town probably has a code requirement for that. My roof shingles are GAF Prestige Ultra with a 110 mph rating assuming special extra nailing is used. I didn't lose a roof shingle during Sandy. The house shingles were about thirty years old. Even then, the damage was pitting from the hail; I only lost 2-3 actual house shingles. When I get the house restained, I expect the hail damage will be nearly invisible.

Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

We have lived here about 25 years and the biggest hail I have seen is around marble size.

bgscms

Post by bgscms » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 pm

I have used Amica insurance for over 25 years living in Massachusetts and Florida for both car and house insurance. They are a reputable company with fast service when you need them. I've had both car accidents and water damage to my house and they were fantastic at helping with both events. Highly recommend them.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm switching my renter's insurance policy to them from State Farm after reading the 'Gecko cost me money' thread.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm

We've been long time Amica customers and have to file two claims (car wreck and break in). They've been wonderful to deal with when you "need them most".

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I just switched to Amica from Geico. Saved me a bunch and I wasn't that happy with certain things about Geico.
BW1985 wrote:I'm switching my renter's insurance policy to them from State Farm after reading the 'Gecko cost me money' thread.
Just an FYI: State Farm is listed as #4 in this list of worst insurance companies - https://www.justice.org/docs/TenWorstIn ... panies.pdf

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 pm

I have Amica on my cars. They won't write HO where I live in NJ. Sandy took out one vehicle. I had $$ w/i 10 days. Paid the retail value + sales tax which allowed me to replace w/ negligible loss. A stress-free experience at a stressful time.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:23 pm

As a rule I used to shop insurance companies every two years. I was always able to find lower priced policies and better terms by shopping every two years. Over the years I've been with State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, Geico, and a few independents. The one company I have stayed with is Amica. That could change, but to date I have been very happy with Amica. It may be a coincidence, but now that I think about it most of the companies I deal with are "mutual" companies: credit union, Amica, Vanguard.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I've been with Amica 38 years. I've had 2 claims (1 auto 1 hail). The customer service is superb. I wouldn't think of switching.

cleosdad

Post by cleosdad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Jake46 wrote:I've been with Amica 38 years. I've had 2 claims (1 auto 1 hail). The customer service is superb. I wouldn't think of switching.
Jake46, Let us know if your premiums have changed. I just got our Amica homeowners and it is going up 19% in April and I live in Littleton away from fire damage. I know we all pay for other problems. My umbrella and car insurance also went up quite a bit. I like them but I may have to shop around. Tim