The Gecko cost me a lot of $. How often to switch car ins?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
snowman

Re: The Gecko cost me a lot of $. How often to switch car in

Post by snowman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

We used to be with Gecko for many years, than about 10 years ago we switched to Amica (home and cars) because they were top rated and also cheaper. Their rates were creeping up every year, but we remained loyal customers. Than one year we had a large claim on our house, and the service we received was outstanding! After that experience, it's very unlikely we will ever switch. The lowest annual rate is great, until you have to file a claim. With Amica, we know we will be treated well, so to us they are worth a premium.

I also remember reading Clark Howard's opinion on insurance some time ago. Even though he always looks for bargains, when it comes to insurance, he recommends to just sign up and stay with the best - Amica or USAA. I thought that advise was weird, especially coming from him. After our claim experience, I completely understand what he meant.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:51 pm

I have been using the same Agent for 30 years now and every year he looks at all the insurance companies and obtains the lowest rate for me. I always keep with the same coverage and pay less every year.

This year I have Plymouth Rock, last year it was Progressive and years before, Traveler's Insurance. Was with Progressive for a couple of years, had a small accident and they did not renew me (my first accident ever!). However, in their defense, they were great throughout the after process of getting my car fixed.

Plymouth Rock is just great. Can highly recommend them. Plymouth also insured me for 1 year vs Traveler's and Progressive for just 6 months. Plymouth Rock also offered almost 20% off if I paid in full, which was well worth it. So I paid with my credit card which gave me another month to pay for it.

Almost there

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks again to all. In the process of getting signed-up with USAA via my wife's father (ex-military). The two other retail insurance providers I'll seek quotes from will be Amica and Liberty Mutual. Sourcing three vendors should be sufficient. I suppose I could try GEICO again, after not having been a customer of theirs for several years--may qualify for "new customer" discounts. But I'd rather not... Especially since their Homeowner's Insurance partner is Travelers--and Travelers, in my experience, tends to be costly.

ElJay

Post by ElJay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:41 pm

sunnyday wrote:I just ran a quote on Amica and home insurance is almost 50% cheaper! Car insurance is also cheaper. I don't think they offer umbrella insurance though.
Amica offers umbrella insurance. I just bought a $1mm umbrella from them for about $100/year.

I've been using Amica since 2008 when I got fed up with Allstate's six month auto policies. They haven't given me any reason to shop around so I don't.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:17 am

ElJay wrote:
sunnyday wrote:I just ran a quote on Amica and home insurance is almost 50% cheaper! Car insurance is also cheaper. I don't think they offer umbrella insurance though.
Amica offers umbrella insurance. I just bought a $1mm umbrella from them for about $100/year.

I've been using Amica since 2008 when I got fed up with Allstate's six month auto policies. They haven't given me any reason to shop around so I don't.
Thanks ElJay. Glad to hear that Amica has retained you as a happy customer. Looking forward to ditching Allstate. When you say fed up with Allstate 6 month policies, do you mean Amica offers 12 month policies? I don't much care for 6 month policies either--but both GEICO and Allstate have them. I just pay 100% of the 6 month premium when it comes due--with a points earning credit card. Never been any additional cost to pay with plastic. Then pay off the credit card balance immediately. Does Amica allow premiums to be paid, fee-free, with plastic?

Also, for anyone who's been customers of both Amica and USAA, how do the two compare regarding the following coverages:

* Auto insurance
* Homeowner's insurance
* Personal Umbrella insurance
* Business Liability insurance
* Business Umbrella insurance

What would assist me in choosing Amica over USAA, presuming I am comparing apples-to-apples coverage wise.

Also, are there any "perks" one offers that the other might not? Like free road side service (AAA-equivalent for free towing, lock-out calls, etc)? Or free car rental for any car repairs, etc?

Would it still be best to "bundle" all my insurance with either Amica or USAA? Or Liberty Mutual if they come in with a competitive price. Hey, in the limited amount of TV viewing I do, I see Liberty Mutual commercials with increasing frequency. Are they also raising their premiums? What gives?

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Just found this on another Boglehead site about auto insurance:

http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings ... /index.htm

Almost there

tj

Post by tj » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 pm

tidalwave10 wrote:
ElJay wrote:

Thanks ElJay. Glad to hear that Amica has retained you as a happy customer. Looking forward to ditching Allstate. When you say fed up with Allstate 6 month policies, do you mean Amica offers 12 month policies? I don't much care for 6 month policies either--but both GEICO and Allstate have them. I just pay 100% of the 6 month premium when it comes due--with a points earning credit card. Never been any additional cost to pay with plastic. Then pay off the credit card balance immediately. Does Amica allow premiums to be paid, fee-free, with plastic?

Also, for anyone who's been customers of both Amica and USAA, how do the two compare regarding the following coverages:

* Auto insurance
* Homeowner's insurance
* Personal Umbrella insurance
* Business Liability insurance
* Business Umbrella insurance

What would assist me in choosing Amica over USAA, presuming I am comparing apples-to-apples coverage wise.

Also, are there any "perks" one offers that the other might not? Like free road side service (AAA-equivalent for free towing, lock-out calls, etc)? Or free car rental for any car repairs, etc?

Would it still be best to "bundle" all my insurance with either Amica or USAA? Or Liberty Mutual if they come in with a competitive price. Hey, in the limited amount of TV viewing I do, I see Liberty Mutual commercials with increasing frequency. Are they also raising their premiums? What gives?

It all varies by state as well as your driving history. Where I live, USAA is a lot cheaper than Amica. You just need to get quotse and see which discounts you get on each.

HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:28 pm

So, do insurance companies love it when people shop prices? I pay my car insurance premium every 6 months. Other than that, I drive my car and have zero thoughts about my insurer. I could jump ship with another insurer if they saved me enough money for the same or better policy. Enough money defined as an amount worth the time to go to the website/call the insurer/visit their brick and mortar.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:34 am

Just another general "thank you" post to express my gratitude. Wife was able to get her USAA "number" from my father-in-law. She was already "known" to USAA as being listed by her Dad as a Beneficiary. Only problem would be that I'm the one in our family who opens all financial accounts, handles insurance, etc. Wife just isn't interested--that's all there is to it, nothing more. She trusts that I'll research things well--possibly to the point of diminishing returns. But I hope to cultivate the skill of making quicker decisions with imperfect and incomplete data, ala Voltaire's admonishment that "The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good."

What would folks recommend? Call USAA on speaker phone jointly with my wife? The other issue is that she is "known" to USAA under her maiden and not married name. But her Dad evidently had it noted that she's married--don't think he provided my Last Name though. Hopefully that won't cause any issues.

Still going to seek out quotes from:

* USAA
* Amica
* Liberty Mutual

... at least on a first pass. If the savings are substantial, I'll just stop, pat myself on the back, and switch. :-)

Congrats to any / all who have benefited from the great info provided from this thread's participants. It's always a hope that, when I post questions, others are wondering the same thing and may benefit from the Collective and Sober Wisdom here. A Reliable Source if ever there was one. Thanks again.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 am

One other thing. I recently signed-up for a free business checking account with First Citizens Bank for my newly formed LLC. In the process, I was Pitched to / asked about my Insurance needs, generally--evidently they have an Insurance Broker on staff. I'm not sure how many Insurance Providers they have access to--I believe they confirmed they had access to Amica. Or how "bound" I'd be to them if I decide to engage in having them obtain quotes. I've read Cialdini's book Influence, so I'm well aware of any Sales tricks and efforts to invoke Reciprocity. I hate being sold anything, frankly. Many times more so now that Cialdini confirmed many of my suspicions in dealing with anyone selling anything.

Questions:

1) Would a general Insurance Broker have access to quotes for USAA? Thinking not.
2) Should I DIY on the quotes or accept the offer to use First Citizens' Insurance Broker?

I'm all for building up a relationship with a bank. But I am not a sheep to be shorn.

If you answer in the affirmative to #2 please state your biases if any:

* Are you a First Citizens customer?
* Are you a Broker of any kind yourself or do you use one?
* Anything else you'd like to disclose that would inordinately sway you to recommending the use of an Insurance Broker :-)

Not looking for further pitches. But if using an Insurance Broker could save me time, at no cost to myself and little to no chance of the Broker missing out on any discounts I might try to discover, then it's something I want to consider.

Let me state one of my own biases: I do not like, and probably never want to work with, any Financial professional who is not legally bound to serve me in the capacity of a Fiduciary Duty. Hope never, ever, to work with a Financial Advisor or Service Provider who is only bound to the Suitability Standard (awful and insufficient protection).

tj

Post by tj » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:17 am

tidalwave10 wrote:Just another general "thank you" post to express my gratitude. Wife was able to get her USAA "number" from my father-in-law. She was already "known" to USAA as being listed by her Dad as a Beneficiary. Only problem would be that I'm the one in our family who opens all financial accounts, handles insurance, etc. Wife just isn't interested--that's all there is to it, nothing more. She trusts that I'll research things well--possibly to the point of diminishing returns. But I hope to cultivate the skill of making quicker decisions with imperfect and incomplete data, ala Voltaire's admonishment that "The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good."

What would folks recommend? Call USAA on speaker phone jointly with my wife? The other issue is that she is "known" to USAA under her maiden and not married name. But her Dad evidently had it noted that she's married--don't think he provided my Last Name though. Hopefully that won't cause any issues.

Still going to seek out quotes from:

* USAA
* Amica
* Liberty Mutual

... at least on a first pass. If the savings are substantial, I'll just stop, pat myself on the back, and switch. :-)

Congrats to any / all who have benefited from the great info provided from this thread's participants. It's always a hope that, when I post questions, others are wondering the same thing and may benefit from the Collective and Sober Wisdom here. A Reliable Source if ever there was one. Thanks again.
She just needs to log in to her online account (or create such an account using her member number) and add you as a spouse. You don't have to talk to anybody. She might be able to adjust her last name that way as well.
1) Would a general Insurance Broker have access to quotes for USAA? Thinking not.
No, not possible. Get a quote on USAA.com

ElJay

Post by ElJay » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:14 pm

tidalwave10 wrote:Thanks ElJay. Glad to hear that Amica has retained you as a happy customer. Looking forward to ditching Allstate. When you say fed up with Allstate 6 month policies, do you mean Amica offers 12 month policies? I don't much care for 6 month policies either--but both GEICO and Allstate have them. I just pay 100% of the 6 month premium when it comes due--with a points earning credit card. Never been any additional cost to pay with plastic. Then pay off the credit card balance immediately. Does Amica allow premiums to be paid, fee-free, with plastic?
Yes, all of my policies at Amica renew on an annual basis and they provide a small bonus for paying in full. Their online payment feature does allow credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and AmEx). I haven't tried it, but I don't see any fees listed to pay by card.

gnav

Post by gnav » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:46 pm

I've been an Amica customer for many years, still use them for homeowners. When they stopped issuing dividends (at least in CA) I shopped around.
21st Century had better auto rates, including a number of discounts, so I switched. That was over 10 years ago.
So far so good, I'd recommend getting a quote.

panickedmom

Post by panickedmom » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm

About a year ago we switched from Progressive to Geico with two new cars and BETTER coverage and saved $700 a year. This was my best achievement in the lowering of all of our bills. :)

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:11 am

ElJay wrote:
tidalwave10 wrote:Thanks ElJay. Glad to hear that Amica has retained you as a happy customer. Looking forward to ditching Allstate. When you say fed up with Allstate 6 month policies, do you mean Amica offers 12 month policies? I don't much care for 6 month policies either--but both GEICO and Allstate have them. I just pay 100% of the 6 month premium when it comes due--with a points earning credit card. Never been any additional cost to pay with plastic. Then pay off the credit card balance immediately. Does Amica allow premiums to be paid, fee-free, with plastic?
Yes, all of my policies at Amica renew on an annual basis and they provide a small bonus for paying in full. Their online payment feature does allow credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and AmEx). I haven't tried it, but I don't see any fees listed to pay by card.
Thanks tj, ElJay, and gnav.

@ElJay, wow, great! The problem with Amex, for vendors who do allow fee-free payment with plastic, is that so many exclude it--presumably due to a larger % merchant fee relative to MC and Visa.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

What discounts to ask for and are they stackable?

Post by tidalwave10 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 am

1) Are there any specific discounts I should ask for with USAA and Amica specifically (and possibly Liberty Mutual) when asking for auto / homeowner's / umbrella premium quotes? I've gotten various things in the mail from both Amica and Liberty Mutual, I think alerting me of discounts based on having attended two different universities. Being for-profit companies, I can't imagine they're going to reveal every last discount possible. So I want to do a little Due Diligence before calling.

2) Are any of these discounts "stackable" (can they be combined or are they mutually exclusive)? And as a tangent, have you ever joined an org just to qualify for some super discount? A discount that was more lucrative than the price paid to join the org?

Wanting to know how to play this particular game to get the coverage I require at the lowest price? I feel pretty confident about USAA and Amica being good if not great insurers. Certainly at least some of the insurers are gaming us, e.g. jacking up premiums for loyalty customers who they believe to be "price insensitive" (as has been mentioned--wow, I'm anything but; guess I've been sleeping at the wheel in this particular area).

3) With USAA, do I have to open an account *before* requesting a quote? Or can I simply give them my wife's USAA "number"? Have not yet tried to log in with her number and open an account. Not sure what I would open... a free savings or checking account? What's the bare minimum I'd need to do?

4) With Amica, it's been stated that they do 12 month auto insurance premiums--that's my preference. Pay it all with a points-earning credit card, get early payoff discount, then immediately pay off the credit card. Who else does 12 month auto insurance premiums--again, most of mine have been 6 month terms and I've always hated that cycle. Does USAA or Liberty Mutual offer 12 month auto insurance policies?

5) Finally, is it at all true, at least in part, that *when* you request a quote can impact the premium, either higher or lower? I believe when I switched from GEICO to Allstate, the Allstate rep said something like, oh good, you're getting a quote before your next premium is due, so that makes you a better risk and so you get discount X. Or some such thing. Could have been complete B.S. What say you Bogleheads?

Need to wrap this up in the next week before my auto insurance premiums are due.

tj

Post by tj » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 pm

5) Finally, is it at all true, at least in part, that *when* you request a quote can impact the premium, either higher or lower? I believe when I switched from GEICO to Allstate, the Allstate rep said ]omething like, oh good, you're getting a quote before your next premium is due, so that makes you a better risk and so you get discount X. Or some such thing. Could have been complete B.S. What say you Bogleheads?
I've never heard of this.

TJ

celia

Post by celia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:56 am

There's more to comparing insurance than seeing who gives the lowest quote. Don't you consider how easy the claims process is (or isn't)? If they try to get out of paying everything, but they save you lots of money, is that the kind of insurance you want? We stay with the large companies who have a good reputation and comparison shop only when the cars or something else changes.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:20 am

celia wrote:There's more to comparing insurance than seeing who gives the lowest quote. Don't you consider how easy the claims process is (or isn't)? If they try to get out of paying everything, but they save you lots of money, is that the kind of insurance you want? We stay with the large companies who have a good reputation and comparison shop only when the cars or something else changes.
Celia, I don't think we disagree. Some things you just don't cheap-out on re: quality / reliability. No matter how frugal one is, some things aren't a bargain at any price. Are you claiming, no pun intended, that any of the following insurers are of low quality and/or have awful claims' processes? If so, please share:

* USAA
* Amica
* Liberty Mutual

Also, to put this in some context for me, which insurers do you presently use, believe have good reputations based on whatever criteria you employ, and are you satisfied? Also let me know if you're in Sales or have any Family members in Sales. :-) Good to know what biases people have--we all have them.

Finally, it bears repeating that Ancedote is not (necessarily) Evidence. Typically a person's experience with making a claim for any given insurer is an N of 1. Some have good experiences, some had bad. And those with bad experiences tend to be more vocal about it: in both quantity and stridency. Not saying this is you--just making a general observation about personal experience with vendors of all kinds, from a variety of industries selling any number of different products and services.

Regarding ratings in general, I like reading 3 star reviews on Amazon.com (out of their 1-5 scale). You eliminate the outliers and may get a more realistic and balanced opinion from reviewers providing 3 stars rather than higher or lower. Don't know if there is such a ranking site for insurer's and/or specific insurance products from specific insurance. Would be a good business opp for someone if no such thing exists.

sphenodont

Re: What discounts to ask for and are they stackable?

Post by sphenodont » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 am

tidalwave10 wrote:5) Finally, is it at all true, at least in part, that *when* you request a quote can impact the premium, either higher or lower? I believe when I switched from GEICO to Allstate, the Allstate rep said something like, oh good, you're getting a quote before your next premium is due, so that makes you a better risk and so you get discount X. Or some such thing. Could have been complete B.S. What say you Bogleheads?
Some insurers have an early quoting rate factor, so that part is true. Whether that makes you a better risk is debateable, but they claim their experience bears it out. (Of course, the fact that you're shopping and might be lured away from your current provider in mid-term is a convenient side benefit for them.) Some of these discounts phase out over time, though, so if the rate is close, be sure to ask if there are any disappearing discounts.

holycow007

Post by holycow007 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 am

hmm...gecko is giving me 200 for 6 months for full coverage and no one coming close

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 am

celia wrote:There's more to comparing insurance than seeing who gives the lowest quote. Don't you consider how easy the claims process is (or isn't)? If they try to get out of paying everything, but they save you lots of money, is that the kind of insurance you want? We stay with the large companies who have a good reputation and comparison shop only when the cars or something else changes.
I've never had an issue from any one except one of the big names (State Farm), who was the insurer of the other guy. Their insured admitted fault, they didn't want to pay, at the time I was with Progressive, they fought it and won it. I have no confidence in the "large companies".

Currently I'm with Gieco. I left Progressive (agent) to get there. I had a 28% snapshot discount and everything. I asked about adding my fiancee and her car to my policy (since we drive each other's vehicle and live in the same house we should be on each other's policy), with a combined policy I anticipated multi-line discount. The total policy was about the same as what she was paying and I was paying for individual policies. I checked with Gieco, it was 1/2 the cost. That's a substantial difference, especially in my state which is one of the highest in auto insurance in the nation.

All of that said, my ATV is still with Progressive, Gieco was much higher.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:08 am

The Effective Date for my Allstate auto renewal is March 29th. How far down to the wire can I go before risking anything bad? Still haven't gotten around to getting quotes.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Most policies have a grace period and the old insurance company will send a formal notice of cancellation but it's best not to push things too much.

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

placeholder wrote:Most policies have a grace period and the old insurance company will send a formal notice of cancellation but it's best not to push things too much.
Excellent, thanks placeholder.

68ShelbyGT500KR

Post by 68ShelbyGT500KR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:51 pm

ElJay wrote:
I pay by credit card online for my renters insurance and auto insurance....There aren't any credit card fees.
You can confirm it via Amica's online chat!

Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:48 am

68ShelbyGT500KR wrote:
ElJay wrote:
I pay by credit card online for my renters insurance and auto insurance....There aren't any credit card fees.
You can confirm it via Amica's online chat!
Thanks 68.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:32 am

tetractys wrote:The answer is simple. Skillfully avoid accidents and incidences, and buy cheaper insurance. -- Tet
Accident sometimes happens when driver changes lanes dangerously and abruptly causing other drivers hitting the brakes. But, the people who causes it already fled.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:40 am

I switched car insurance a few times but went back to GEICO because I pay less compared to others. Other companies always give me cheaper price to switch but then jump back quickly six months later. I have excellent driving record so technically they are making good money on me :D . But I never know ...