Help with EIN, SSN confusion on W2

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
wrysys

Help with EIN, SSN confusion on W2

Post by wrysys »

A few years ago I applied and got an EIN as I was a sole proprietor. I then joined another company and have received W2 for the past several years with my EIN. I've always filled out my taxes with my SSN and it seemed never to be a problem. Investment accounts also use my SSN. My new tax preparer says my SSN should be on my W2 and nothing else. Any advice on this? I know I never should have mixed it up, but if it seems to be working is it worth stirring up issues? I tried calling IRS but it's impenetrable.
niceguy7376

Re: Help with EIN, SSN confusion on W2

Post by niceguy7376 »

when you JOINED another company, in which scenario did you give your EIN number to them? Did they take it as EIN number ? I assume they took that as SSN and ran SS+medicare taxes on that number and not against your original SSN.

Did you NOW go to the employer and ask to correct the SSN immediately? If not, that would be the first step.
HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

I would assume that you would like to have your W-2 earnings credited to your Social Security earnings record to increase your future Social Security retirement income. That's not happening if your W-2 is reporting your earnings by using your EIN. It doesn't happen with your income tax return, it happens when your W-2 is filed with the Social Security Administration. I also think you would want to have your W-2 income tax withholdings credited to your income account. That also would not seem to be occurring, according to what you describe. How that has not caused any issues with income taxes if it has occurred over multiple years would be a big question to me. I'm baffled why you would let this issue persist over years, according to your description. Your reasoning is if it hasn't caused any issues so far then it's not a problem? Why don't you correct it? That seems to be the obvious approach for a problem that never should have occurred and could have been easily corrected, even after the company issued your first W-2 with the incorrect SSN. It's possible that your employer has not even filed their 2013 W-2s with the SSA, even though you have been issued your copy. I think you should fix it before any issues compound.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

You probably need to have this corrected ASAP. When you start a job they ask for your SS#. An EIN number is usually XX-123456 vs. SS# XXX-BB-CCCC. Many EIN numbers would be picked up as impossible SS #s (IE the same as someone 103 years old).
As stated, go to your employer and make sure he has your SS#. Are you an employee or an independent contractor. If the latter, an EIN might be appropriate if they are paying your business. If they are paying you as an employee, then only SS# is acceptable.