Best Credit Card Promos 2014 *Updated*

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mbk734

Best Credit Card Promos 2014 *Updated*

Post by mbk734 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 pm

I have been taking advantage of a few credit card promos. Here are a few of the best deals I have found:

Grocery/Gas Card: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% back on grocery stores (on up to $6,000 for $360 back annually), 3% back unlimited on gas stations and select department stores, 1% back on all else. $75 annual fee. $100 back and One year of amazon prime when you spend $1,000 in first three months. Cons: not accepted as widely as VISA, foreign transaction fees. Pros: AMEX has the best extended warranty and purchase protection. Groceries are getting expensive. For families that easily spend $1,000/month on groceries, having 2 of these cards makes sense. Unlimited 3% on gas is a great perk for road trippers, gas guzzlers, and truckers.

Travel Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred - 40,000 points when you spend 3,000 in first 3 months plus 5,000 when you add a user that makes a purchase for $480 credit or $600 off a flight. Great sign up bonus but the perks IMO are not worth the annual fee for this card unless you are a frequent traveller. Also check out Chase Ink Plus/Bold/Cash for a better bonus (50,000) for business owners and a few other great perks (5% Office/Utilities up to 50k). No foreign transaction fees and chip enabled.

No Category Card: Capital One Venture $200 back when you spend $2,000 in first three months. Unlimited 2% back (no categories) $59 annual fee (waived for 1st year). Also the Quicksilver card has no annual fee but gets 1.5% back unlimited if you are opposed to annual fees. If you spend more than $12,000/year the Venture is the better deal and has a better sign up promo. No foreign transaction fees and Intro 0% APR! Also, the Fidelity AMEX 2% and Fidelity Visa 1.5% up to $15k then 2%.

Please let me know of any other great offers!

*UPDATE*

Citi Doublecash Mastercard: 2% back (1.99% if statement credit). 0% interest for 15 months, no annual fee. $200 back on $1,000 spend in 90 days for some accounts.

**Barclaycard Sallie Mae Mastercard** (New Favorite): 5% back on Gas (up to $250), Groceries (up to $250), and bookstores (read: Amazon) (up to $750) per MONTH (not quarter woohoo!). 0% interest for 15 months, no annual fee. $25 bonus with first purchase.

Notable Mention:
Discover IT/Chase Freedom: rotating 5% back (on up to $1500) in different categories per quarter. Gas/Home Improvement/Amazon, etc.
US Bank Cash+ : Choose your 5% categories each quarter (2000/quarter) and 2% categories.
Last edited by mbk734 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

phositadc

Re: Best Credit Card Promos 2014

Post by phositadc » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:40 am

Could you link to the 2% back on the Capital One Venture? All I'm seeing is this http://goo.gl/aqgZhX. And it seems to be a travel thing (2 miles per dollar), not a cash back thing.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:47 am

My venture card is NOT a cash back thing. It is 2% back on my travel related expenses. So, I don't receive a rebate. What I do is when my bills come do; I check off those items I wish to be paid by my points (hotels, airfare, car rental, meals, etc.). I never have any problem using them up. It is 2% on everything I purchase and I buy a lot of software for my clients. It's a good card for me.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:06 am

Some caviats. The cap one cards.....I'm maybe just saying this a different way, but if you spend exactly $12,000 a year, the cash back is the same. Less and the annual fee makes the 2% card worse, more than $12,000 a year makes the 2% card better.

AMEX Blue Cash (non preferred), I have this. The big downside is that for the first $6500, the rewards are minimal (1/10 what the advertised rates are).

Much of this information is very hard to find. I called AMEX for a breakdown of the rewards (have had the card for 4 years and they shoo'd me off to a website that did NOT tell me what the rewards % were. I've stopped using this card.

Subaru Mastercard from Chase gives 3% back in certificates good at Subaru dealers. This can be for parts, service or towards a car. If you have a Subaru, it's a good deal. No fee, but there is an annual limit.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dswails2729

Post by dswails2729 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 am

Barclaycard Arrival (with annual fee of $89- fee is waived for first year). 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days of card approval. 2X miles on ALL purchases. Book ANY airline with no blackout dates. Get 10% miles back when you redeem miles for travel. No foreign transaction fees.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:02 am

Just opened my first card with the intent of churning it for miles. 55k United miles on a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card for spending 2k in 3 months and adding an authorized user. Including free bags that should be worth about $1200 for what I intend to use the miles for. Now I just have to hope the cancellation warning set a 50 weeks from now actually works.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:59 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:AMEX Blue Cash (non preferred), I have this. The big downside is that for the first $6500, the rewards are minimal (1/10 what the advertised rates are).
Please explain. I have the non-preferred AMEX Blue Cash that I use exclusively for groceries, and my understanding is I get 3% cashback on groceries for the first $6000 in purchases each year, then only 1% after that. The amounts of rewards I've been redeeming since I got the card two years ago seem to back this up. Am I missing some hidden gotcha?

ajcp

Post by ajcp » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 am

Ice-9 wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:AMEX Blue Cash (non preferred), I have this. The big downside is that for the first $6500, the rewards are minimal (1/10 what the advertised rates are).
Please explain. I have the non-preferred AMEX Blue Cash that I use exclusively for groceries, and my understanding is I get 3% cashback on groceries for the first $6000 in purchases each year, then only 1% after that. The amounts of rewards I've been redeeming since I got the card two years ago seem to back this up. Am I missing some hidden gotcha?
You have the blue cash everyday, which works exactly as you described. Ice has the blue cash, which is an old card that amex is moving away from but some people still have, that only gives .25-1% on the first $6500 before getting the higher rate.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Almost identical thread from ~4 days ago still running: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... st=1950915

This fatwallet post is ~108 pages and the top summary is kept updated with the current offers/best items: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Just in time thread as yesterday I received a notice that my 5 years old HSBC Platinum Cash card--that has no annual fee and been faithfully giving me 5% on groceries/gas/drug store purchases (and 0.5% on everything else but I did not use it for anything else)--is being converted to "1% back on everything" card after being purchased by Capital One. Well, I expected this one after the news of card sale. This change takes effect on April 7, so that's the time I am going to cancel the card after requesting final rebate check.

Started looking for adequate replacement, but there is nothing even remotely close nowadays, 2% on everything Fidelity AMEX is the next best deal, but it is not accepted everywhere. I do not want annual fee.

Hopefully I'll pick up something useful from this thread.

dswails2729

Post by dswails2729 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm

serbeer wrote:Just in time thread as yesterday I received a notice that my 5 years old HSBC Platinum Cash card--that has no annual fee and been faithfully giving me 5% on groceries/gas/drug store purchases (and 0.5% on everything else but I did not use it for anything else)--is being converted to "1% back on everything" card after being purchased by Capital One. Well, I expected this one after the news of card sale. This change takes effect on April 7, so that's the time I am going to cancel the card after requesting final rebate check.

Started looking for adequate replacement, but there is nothing even remotely close nowadays, 2% on everything Fidelity AMEX is the next best deal, but it is not accepted everywhere. I do not want annual fee.

Hopefully I'll pick up something useful from this thread.
Look at the Barclaycard Arrival (with NO annual fee). 20,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of card approval. 2X miles on travel and dining. Miles can be used towards ANY airline and you receive 10% miles back when miles are redeemed for travel.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Glad to know these are the best deals around. One of my old cards got bought by Capital one and I got converted to the Quicksilver card a few months ago; I have been enjoying the 1.5% cash back on everything. My only gripe is that my credit limit is fairly low ($5500 carried over from my old provider) and with all the moving/wedding spending I've been doing in the last 6 months I have to watch it and often make multiple payments a month to keep my average balance low. I can't ask for an increase until I've had the card for 6 months.

I applied for the Blue Cash Amex last month in preparation for moving in with my fiance. This is our first "joint" card (though it's in my name only in case he wants to get one too - wasn't sure how much credit I'd get and figured we might need him to get a card as well). It was offering 0% APR for 15 months, and so we are putting furniture and new flooring on that for our new place just to even out cash flow, rather than depleting reserves all at once. I got immediately approved for a $15K line of credit and am getting the 6% cash back on groceries and 3% on gas and 1% on everything else. For the record, I had to sign up for Amazon Prime to get this deal, but they'll refund me the first year's fee for that in 30 days. My only gripe on this card if you have to take their word for the rewards calculations. It's not itemized anywhere and there is no real rewards section of their website to reference - just one number at the top of the screen with your rewards total.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Here is the fine print on the Prime offer
1. You can receive a statement credit of $79 plus applicable taxes for the initial annual membership fee of a new Amazon Prime membership if, during your first three months of Card Membership, you:

Sign-up for and use your new your Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express to purchase Prime at amazon.com/amexbluecashpreferredprimeoffer; and

Charge a total of $1,000 (the "Spend Threshold") or more of purchases on your new Card account.

This three month period begins at the time your Card account is approved. This offer is only available for new Prime memberships. If you meet the Spend Threshold, but do not sign up for a new Prime membership during your first 3 months of Card Membership, you will not be eligible to receive the statement credit. You will receive your statement credit 6 - 8 weeks after the later to occur of meeting the Spend Threshold and signing up for and purchasing a new Prime membership. To receive the statement credit, your Card account must not be cancelled or in default at the time of fulfillment. Limit one statement credit per Card account.

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Between the two of us we have the Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink and Amex Starwood

Amex Blue: used on groceries, department stores and gas for 6% cash back and 3% cash back
Chase Sapphire: used for all travel (except Starwood hotels) and restaurants for 2x points and 2 cent per point conversion on transfer to SW flights (so 4 cents value per dollar)
Chase Ink: used for TV, internet, phone, and office supplies for 5x points (same points as Sapphire)
Starwood: used for everything not covered above and all Starwood hotel. Value is about 3 cents of Starwood hotel value per dollar spent

lighthouse084

Post by lighthouse084 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:22 pm

I am starting to think that all of these credit cards that offer extra rewards for groceries, gas, etc. may not actually end up being worth it in the long-run.
It seems that some of these cards have their offers rescinded over the long run or have extra hoops for you to jump.
For the long-haul, I am more interested in just using Fidelity's AMEX 2% and VISA 1.5% cards to gain access to my no minimum required Fidelity Brokerage Account via which I can buy iShares ETFs like AGG, MUB, TIP, etc. without a commission to keep their value relatively stable and to use as a long-term fund.
Part of the reason is that a lot of the rewards cards force you to accommodate to their redemption structures. This is fine but given my level of spending, I have to use and take maximum advantage of any one card. Fidelity it is.
I do like signing up for those cards that offer $100 for large expenditures within a few months of sign-up. But, I only use these when the opportunity arrives and to improve my credit score/availability slightly.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:32 pm

lighthouse084 wrote:I am starting to think that all of these credit cards that offer extra rewards for groceries, gas, etc. may not actually end up being worth it in the long-run.
It seems that some of these cards have their offers rescinded over the long run or have extra hoops for you to jump.
Well, my HSBC Platinum Rewards gave me over 3-4 years of 5% on gas and groceries and though it will come to an end after April 7, 5% for 3 years is a very good run that put extra $1K+ or so in my packet with no efforts at all over any other card. To be honest, I am surprised it lasted that long. At 5%, given that I was not purchasing anything else on it that would only be 0.5%, they were clearly subsidizing my purchases, probably good 3% over 2% they would charge the merchant.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Cash is king and after enjoying Costco Amex card cash back I decided to go for Fidelity Amex 2 % cash back card.

On the website it stated that they would let you know in 60 seconds that you would get approval. I filled out the application and I was told that they would let me know in 30 days. This is not an auspicious start.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

lighthouse084

Post by lighthouse084 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:05 pm

I had the same issue when I signed up for the Fidelity Amex 2% Card. I was still approved. If you see an account opened up in your general overview tab when you login to Fidelity, it means they approved you. Weird, I know.

The 5% on the HSBC Card for so long is impressive.
Almost makes me want to sign-up for Pen-Fed.

But, for now, I'm sticking to: Fidelity Amex and VISA (2% and 1.5%), Discover,

The real question I want to ask is this: Which cards provide excellent purchasing benefits like - baggage loss assistance, extended warranty, instant customer service, travelling perks (not points), and other intangible benefits? Its easy to say 2% beats 1%, but I want to know about the unquantifiable benefits.
Anyone have any recommendations in that arena?

P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:21 pm

mbk734 wrote: Grocery/Gas Card: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% back on grocery stores (on up to $6,000 for $360 back annually), 3% back unlimited on gas stations and select department stores, 1% back on all else. $75 annual fee (waived first year) $100 back and One year of amazon prime when you spend $1,000 in first three months.
I found this offer, but it did not mention the $75 fee being waived for the first year. Do you have a link with the fee waived?

maxim81

Post by maxim81 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Barclay's World is good .. but I think they have have increased min spend.
Chase Sapphire PReferred is also good

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

If you want a card with good long term benefits, but aren't too concerned about the signup bonus, Sallie Mae World Mastercard gets 5% on gas (250$ per month), 5% on groceries (250 per month), and 5% on bookstores, including amazon.com (750 per month).
IT-DevOps System Administrator

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm

barnaclebob wrote:Just opened my first card with the intent of churning it for miles. 55k United miles on a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card for spending 2k in 3 months and adding an authorized user. Including free bags that should be worth about $1200 for what I intend to use the miles for. Now I just have to hope the cancellation warning set a 50 weeks from now actually works.
Don't worry they include a notice on the bill a month or two before the fee is due. Plus I think you can actually cancel even after getting the bill with the annual fee on it without having to pay it.

My wife and I both did the Chase airtran card, 32 credits (worth two round trips on either AirTran or Southwest) after charging $2000 and no fee for first year. Figured that one will be gone soon, as they get integrated into Southwest.

I'm now doing the Chase Southwest premier card for 50,000 points, that one does cost $99 even the first year. I previously did their other card, with $69 fee.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

ajcp

Post by ajcp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 pm

P&C actuary wrote:
mbk734 wrote: Grocery/Gas Card: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% back on grocery stores (on up to $6,000 for $360 back annually), 3% back unlimited on gas stations and select department stores, 1% back on all else. $75 annual fee (waived first year) $100 back and One year of amazon prime when you spend $1,000 in first three months.
I found this offer, but it did not mention the $75 fee being waived for the first year. Do you have a link with the fee waived?
I'm pretty sure the fee is not waived and mbk just made a mistake because many cards do waive the fee the first year.

Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:01 pm

ajcp wrote:
P&C actuary wrote:
I'm pretty sure the fee is not waived and mbk just made a mistake because many cards do waive the fee the first year.
Yep, they charge the fee the first year. Great card for me, though.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:10 pm

I used this to analyze whether to keep my AMEX card or not - after the first free year, I simply don't spend enough to offset the $75 fee. It was pretty much even, so I was going to ditch it. Although for the second year I called them and asked about waiving the fee and got a $25 statement credit, so I kept the card in use for 2 years before closing it.

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachm ... costco.xls

^this is an Excel spreadsheet link that compares various cashback credit cards, although it is a couple years old, it is still useful.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:...
AMEX Blue Cash (non preferred), I have this. The big downside is that for the first $6500, the rewards are minimal (1/10 what the advertised rates are).

Much of this information is very hard to find. I called AMEX for a breakdown of the rewards (have had the card for 4 years and they shoo'd me off to a website that did NOT tell me what the rewards % were. I've stopped using this card.
I have this card too and like you, I don't use it much anymore. I prefer the Fidelity Amex with 2% cash back and Capital One as a backup (1.5% cash back). A flat cash-back rate is so nice and simple compared to wondering if I used my Blue Cash card often enough at the grocery store to get my money's worth, or wondering if I've met the $6500 mininum, again. I think the breakdown of the rewards is pretty clear, though. It's in your statement every month.
On Vanguard's main page, you can just start typing your username to log in.

crowd79

Post by crowd79 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:49 am

Chase Freedom is the best card for cashback on gas. It's a rotating categories card, however this year 5% gas cashback purchases made up the first (Jan-Mar) and soon to be, third quarters (Jul-Sept). At the end of each bonus quarter, I stock up on gas gift cards at my preferred gas station to carry me through the non-bonus quarters so I essentially get 5% back on gas all year. And of course although Chase Freedom is marketed like a cashback card, they're essentially Ultimate Rewards points, which I'll transfer to my Chase Sapphire Preferred card and then into frequent flyer programs for miles or travel purchases.

Archie Sinclair

Post by Archie Sinclair » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:59 pm

crowd79 wrote:Chase Freedom is the best card for cashback on gas. It's a rotating categories card, however this year 5% gas cashback purchases made up the first (Jan-Mar) and soon to be, third quarters (Jul-Sept). At the end of each bonus quarter, I stock up on gas gift cards at my preferred gas station to carry me through the non-bonus quarters so I essentially get 5% back on gas all year. And of course although Chase Freedom is marketed like a cashback card, they're essentially Ultimate Rewards points, which I'll transfer to my Chase Sapphire Preferred card and then into frequent flyer programs for miles or travel purchases.
The best card for cash back on gas is the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card: https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/. It has 5% cash back on gas year round, which is paid automatically every month as a statement credit. You do have to have an account with them, such as a checking account or "money market savings" account or a loan.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 pm

My two favorite cards are the business AmEx Costco credit card that gets me 4% back on gas (plus 2% for travel & restaurants, 1% for everything else). I like the Spark Capitol One Business Visa--2% back on everything and $59 annual fee; no foreign transaction fee. Was upgraded to get free extended warranty protection & everything else I get with my AmEx Costco card.

G3VALD1G

Post by G3VALD1G » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:30 am

If you have some time to spend and want to max out the most benefits you can on your credit hang around on dansdeals.com

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 am

Archie Sinclair wrote:
crowd79 wrote:Chase Freedom is the best card for cashback on gas. It's a rotating categories card, however this year 5% gas cashback purchases made up the first (Jan-Mar) and soon to be, third quarters (Jul-Sept). At the end of each bonus quarter, I stock up on gas gift cards at my preferred gas station to carry me through the non-bonus quarters so I essentially get 5% back on gas all year. And of course although Chase Freedom is marketed like a cashback card, they're essentially Ultimate Rewards points, which I'll transfer to my Chase Sapphire Preferred card and then into frequent flyer programs for miles or travel purchases.
The best card for cash back on gas is the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card: https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/. It has 5% cash back on gas year round, which is paid automatically every month as a statement credit. You do have to have an account with them, such as a checking account or "money market savings" account or a loan.
A close second would be the Sallie Mae World Mastercard

5% cashback on your first 250/mo of gas, 5% cashback on your first 250/mo on groceries, 5% cashback on your first 750/mo on bookstores (includes amazon), and 1% on everything else.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 am

Meg77 wrote: My only gripe is that my credit limit is fairly low ($5500 carried over from my old provider) and with all the moving/wedding spending I've been doing in the last 6 months I have to watch it and often make multiple payments a month to keep my average balance low. I can't ask for an increase until I've had the card for 6 months.
I'm curious about credit limits. I just opened a new card and the credit limit is about $4000. This is a pain in the neck as, like you, I have to watch it and sometimes make multiple payments in a month. I asked for an increase and got a letter yesterday with no and a list of reasons, including totally inapplicable stuff like "too many accounts not paid as arranged" or something. So I emailed them and also asked Experian (the credit bureau they pointed me at) for a credit report, since I have zero debt except for two credit cards which are paid in full each month if not sooner.

Of course, my credit report might be bolixed up, but the phone person said the reason for the denial was the card hadn't been opened long enough for a payment history.

Why this is curious to me is that I have never before had a credit limit increase denied, and my other card has a limit well into the five digits.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:40 am

From what I have read, credit limits are a function of 3 things
- policies of the card issuer
- credit history
- what other credit lines you have

There's a belief that "big limits beget big limits" - if you have big limits from one issuer, it can be easier to get them from others depending on the issuer.

For example, PenFed gave me an enormous limit when I applied for their card about 8 years ago - multiples of what I had on any other card. The next card I applied for gave me a huge limit also. Same for the Fidelity card I got a couple years ago.

But if the issuer is generally stingy with credit limits, nothing you can do. Capital One is known for low limits. Not a good choice for an everyday card you'll use a lot because your utilization could be sky high.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:51 am

prudent wrote: Capital One is known for low limits.
Hmm, Pretty sure they were the first one to give me a high limit and I think that still is the single card with the highest limit that I have.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:33 am

AMEX Blue Preferred 6% Cash back on groceries to $360 annually, $75 a year charge. We spend near $6K annually so this works for that.

PenFed 5% cash back on gas.

Fidelity 2% AMEX cash back.

Fidelity 1.5% Visa cash back.

Discover 5% revolving categories with an occasional additional 2% on special days. This one is used for an occasional large purchase only when the 7% can be had.

P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

Citi sent an offer for Double cash. 1% on purchase and 1% as bills are paid, either in full or over time. Of course I would pay in full. Anyone have this card? 2% would top my Cap One 1.5%.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:27 pm

P&C actuary wrote:Citi sent an offer for Double cash. 1% on purchase and 1% as bills are paid, either in full or over time. Of course I would pay in full. Anyone have this card? 2% would top my Cap One 1.5%.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=145785