Free Target credit monitoring

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
castlemodesto

Free Target credit monitoring

Post by castlemodesto » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Financial Ramblings blog
http://www.financialramblings.com/archi ... rget-hack/
is reporting that Target is offering a years credit monitoring via Experian. Apparently is not only for customers who shopped on the security breach dates but all Target customers.
I have registered for my wife and myself. She shopped on the breach dates. I didnt ,but we have mostly joint accounts.
It is very easy to do, you just need to supply Target with your name and an email address. They then send a code to open a free experian credit monitoring account. Experian then notifies you by email is there is any suspicious activity on your credit.

fareastwarriors

Re: Free Target credit monitoring

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm

castlemodesto wrote:Financial Ramblings blog
http://www.financialramblings.com/archi ... rget-hack/
is reporting that Target is offering a years credit monitoring via Experian. Apparently is not only for customers who shopped on the security breach dates but all Target customers.

I have registered for my wife and myself. She shopped on the breach dates. I didnt ,but we have mostly joint accounts.
It is very easy to do, you just need to supply Target with your name and an email address. They then send a code to open a free experian credit monitoring account. Experian then notifies you by email is there is any suspicious activity on your credit.

I wonder if I can still sign up even if I'm not a customer...

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 pm

There is another thread with the title Target Breach, Updated. I posted in that thread about signing up yesterday. (I didn't feel I needed my own thread.)

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:53 pm

You don't need to read an article or go any place special. Just go to Target.com There is a banner headline that leads you where you want to go.
important notice: data incident involving certain guest information
You can't miss it.

castlemodesto

Post by castlemodesto » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I wonder if I can still sign up even if I'm not a customer...
It seems you probably could, if your conscience would allow you to sleep at night

exigent

Post by exigent » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:56 am

Same experience here. Signed up both my wife and me with no problems. I'm sure that at least one of us shopped at Target in the period in question, though they didn't do anything to verify it. So yeah, pretty much anyone can sign up for this. And it doesn't auto-renew after a year so that's good.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Experian is going to make a fortune on this. I'd imagine that a sizable percentage will renew the coverage after the "free" year is up.
Stay on target...

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm

I used my credit card at Target on Nov 30. I've signed up for the credit monitoring... So far so good.

Note: It's not just Target. Neiman Marcus and three unnamed stores have all had data breeches.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks. Just signed up.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:10 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:I wonder if I can still sign up even if I'm not a customer...
I do not see why anyone would want to register any information including e-mail address with Target. They have already proven they cannot be trusted with personal information.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 pm

livesoft wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:I wonder if I can still sign up even if I'm not a customer...
I do not see why anyone would want to register any information including e-mail address with Target. They have already proven they cannot be trusted with personal information.
It looks like the e-mail is given to experian.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:42 pm

^That just proves my point. Target can't even keep your e-mail address private. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:52 pm

livesoft wrote:
The email address does not go to Target. You go to protectmyid.com and give them an email. They email an activation code to you which can be used to register free with Experian.

And the issues is not limited to Target. It's "Target, Neiman Marcus and three unnamed retailers".

PetaHertz

Post by PetaHertz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm

ddunca1944 wrote: The email address does not go to Target. You go to protectmyid.com and give them an email. They email an activation code to you which can be used to register free with Experian.

And the issues is not limited to Target. It's "Target, Neiman Marcus and three unnamed retailers".
Target does get your email. You first go to creditmonitoring.target.com and give them your name and email address. They then send you the activation code which you enter in Experian to register.

I don't see much a problem with it. But it seems like Experian is profiting most from this situation. Not only is Target presumably paying them for the free registrations, but the service itself is full of advertising and up-selling. For example, when you generate your credit report, it contains 3 columns. One is for Experian, and the other two are for the other credit agencies. Of course these last two are blank, but you can "fix" this with a fee to Experian to fill in the whole report. And they offer to sell you your credit score.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Do you suppose Target could get a kickback from these upsells?

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:35 pm

PetaHertz wrote:
ddunca1944 wrote: The email address does not go to Target. You go to protectmyid.com and give them an email. They email an activation code to you which can be used to register free with Experian.

Target does get your email. You first go to creditmonitoring.target.com and give them your name and email address. They then send you the activation code which you enter in Experian to register.

I don't see much a problem with it. But it seems like Experian is profiting most from this situation. Not only is Target presumably paying them for the free registrations, but the service itself is full of advertising and up-selling. For example, when you generate your credit report, it contains 3 columns. One is for Experian, and the other two are for the other credit agencies. Of course these last two are blank, but you can "fix" this with a fee to Experian to fill in the whole report. And they offer to sell you your credit score.
even though target is in the url, i dont think they are managing it

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I know how to read an email header, at least as far as To: Me and From: TargetNews@target.bfi0.com [The notice came from the same address as the activation code.]

The other from was support@exprpt.com

PetaHertz

Post by PetaHertz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:39 pm

sscritic wrote:I know how to read an email header, at least as far as To: Me and From: TargetNews@target.bfi0.com [The notice came from the same address as the activation code.]

The other from was support@exprpt.com
Well bfi0 is registered to Epsilon Data Management. From Epsilon's web site, they look like some type of marketing agency. Maybe they handle the mass mailings for Target, as Target would likely not have the resources or knowledge to handle it themselves, especially on such a short time-frame like this situation. No matter who actually sent out the email for the activation code, I'm willing to bet that Target gets a list of names and email addresses of who signs up.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 pm

I received an email from Target offering me this credit monitoring. I had bought stuff from Target several years ago, but not in the recent time period mentioned. Looks like virtually all of their customers' data was stolen.

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 am

Um, I'd like to point out that Target already has your email in the first place, since they sent you an email.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 am

Everyone would be better served by

A. Freezing your credit.
B. Monitoring your credit card activity on line on a weekly basis.

I use my cards quite a bit in business and have had some issues (unrelated to Target). The credit monitoring service would not have done anything more than my own diligence and the credit card's company's internal software. In two cases my cards were replicated and tried to use in person at home improvement stores in Texas (I'm in NC).

Even if they get a conversion rate of .5% of the 40 million (or more) that's 200,000 new customers.