Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by Ged » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:01 pm

My son had a personal experience with the current healthcare transition process that might help some people.

He is currently on an insurance plan that does not qualify under the new rules. As such he was informed that his plan will not be renewable in 2014 on his anniversary date in January because the insurance company decided not to reverse their course on termination of these policies when the rules were changed back recently.

Well this combined with the botched rollout of healthcare.gov has placed him in the position that he may not have everything completed by Dec 23, primarily because the identification verification process for him includes a step where he has to mail documents to some place in Kentucky for manual inspection ( :oops: ).

So he called the current insurance company (BCBS) to try to figure out a plan to deal with this. What they told him is they could do an early renewal of his current plan (being this is still 2013 these non-conforming plans can still be renewed) thus pushing his deadline until December of 2014.

So if you are facing a deadline like this you might try to see if you can get a renewal this year. In January it will likely be too late.

Calm Man
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by Calm Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 pm

I know too many people now who "liked" it all because it didn't affect them. Until it did. They are scrambling. I would suggest that anybody in limbo now go to a private plan and buy it and pay monthly. They can always cancel at anytime after enrolling in an exchange plan if things work or some other plan, if they get a job for example with insurance.

yosh99
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by yosh99 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I know too many people now who "liked" it all because it didn't affect them. Until it did. They are scrambling. I would suggest that anybody in limbo now go to a private plan and buy it and pay monthly. They can always cancel at anytime after enrolling in an exchange plan if things work or some other plan, if they get a job for example with insurance.
All the plans in the exchanges are private plans. The only public plans are medicare, medicaid, and veterans benefits.

jasg
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by jasg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Another little fact gets no press is that eHealthInsurance.com got permission in July to sell exchange and ACA approved plans. The drawback is that you have to wait until 2014 tax return time for subsidies (if you qualify).

User avatar
jidina80
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Fiji

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by jidina80 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks for sharing the experience.

A lot of 'wrinkles' but I'm glad that we can now compare health insurance plans that have the same minimum coverage on the state and federal exchanges. Wish we had the same for auto insurance. :) I try never to buy version 1.0 of anything until the bleeding edge has worked through it. If the Massachusetts experience is a valid guide I am optimistic.

pinebarrens1
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by pinebarrens1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 am

Ged, I had the exact problem as your son. The application process couldn't verify my identity. They give you the option of mailing your documents or uploading them directly. I did both. It took 9 days before they verified me and I was able to complete the application

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by Ged » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:57 pm

jidina80 wrote:Thanks for sharing the experience.

A lot of 'wrinkles' but I'm glad that we can now compare health insurance plans that have the same minimum coverage on the state and federal exchanges. Wish we had the same for auto insurance. :) I try never to buy version 1.0 of anything until the bleeding edge has worked through it. If the Massachusetts experience is a valid guide I am optimistic.
The experiment I am most interested in is what Vermont is doing. They are going beyond Obamacare to a single payer system.

esetter
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by esetter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I've read, but have not verified, that there's a way of cancelling your original account setup and setting up a "new" account. According to others, once this was done, they were able to process their applications and verification without any problems.

Calm Man
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by Calm Man » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 pm

yosh99 wrote:
I know too many people now who "liked" it all because it didn't affect them. Until it did. They are scrambling. I would suggest that anybody in limbo now go to a private plan and buy it and pay monthly. They can always cancel at anytime after enrolling in an exchange plan if things work or some other plan, if they get a job for example with insurance.
All the plans in the exchanges are private plans. The only public plans are medicare, medicaid, and veterans benefits.
Yosh, you are smart and you know what I mean. I meant to buy outside of the exchange and deal with the insurer directly.

ieee488
Posts: 1989
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by ieee488 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Calm Man wrote:
yosh99 wrote:
I know too many people now who "liked" it all because it didn't affect them. Until it did. They are scrambling. I would suggest that anybody in limbo now go to a private plan and buy it and pay monthly. They can always cancel at anytime after enrolling in an exchange plan if things work or some other plan, if they get a job for example with insurance.
All the plans in the exchanges are private plans. The only public plans are medicare, medicaid, and veterans benefits.
Yosh, you are smart and you know what I mean. I meant to buy outside of the exchange and deal with the insurer directly.
Here in NJ, the plans I saw on the exchange are the same ones I see on the Blue Cross Blue Shield website.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

btenny
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by btenny » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:27 pm

BCBS is apparently keeping a lot of people on board there old policies thru 2014. My barber in Arizona is in the same position as your son and is staying put with BCBS for 2014. He plans to see what will happen during the next year and take a wait and see approach. If the Gov stuff is better, fine. If not he will buy BCBS as he prefers private BCBS but TBD what they have to offer next year separate from the Gov stuff.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by bengal22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 pm

esetter wrote:I've read, but have not verified, that there's a way of cancelling your original account setup and setting up a "new" account. According to others, once this was done, they were able to process their applications and verification without any problems.
there is now a feature to cancel your application and start over. they is how I got through the roadblock
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by Ged » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

btenny wrote:BCBS is apparently keeping a lot of people on board there old policies thru 2014. My barber in Arizona is in the same position as your son and is staying put with BCBS for 2014. He plans to see what will happen during the next year and take a wait and see approach. If the Gov stuff is better, fine. If not he will buy BCBS as he prefers private BCBS but TBD what they have to offer next year separate from the Gov stuff.
Well, my son is going to be significantly better off with one of the plans through the exchange. The subsidies make his cost lower than his current plan, and the coverage is much more comprehensive.

The extension of his existing insurance is only a stopgap to help handle the botched roll-out.

btenny
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by btenny » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:15 pm

My barber thought his insurance might be cheaper and be subsidized as well if he bought through the exchange. But he is a pretty conservative first generation American from a immigrant family who works very hard and takes care of his family. I suspect he does not want help as he has been paying his way for years.

ieee488
Posts: 1989
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by ieee488 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:25 pm

btenny wrote:My barber thought his insurance might be cheaper and be subsidized as well if he bought through the exchange. But he is a pretty conservative first generation American from a immigrant family who works very hard and takes care of his family. I suspect he does not want help as he has been paying his way for years.
To each his own.

I will take that help, and I have been paying my way and my parents have been paying their way for many years as well.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

User avatar
frugaltype
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by frugaltype » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:40 pm

ieee488 wrote:
btenny wrote:My barber thought his insurance might be cheaper and be subsidized as well if he bought through the exchange. But he is a pretty conservative first generation American from a immigrant family who works very hard and takes care of his family. I suspect he does not want help as he has been paying his way for years.
To each his own.

I will take that help, and I have been paying my way and my parents have been paying their way for many years as well.
+1

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4290
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by joe8d » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:09 pm

The experiment I am most interested in is what Vermont is doing. They are going beyond Obamacare to a single payer system.
Interesting.
All the Best, | Joe

Calm Man
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by Calm Man » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:16 pm

ieee488 wrote:
Calm Man wrote:
yosh99 wrote:
I know too many people now who "liked" it all because it didn't affect them. Until it did. They are scrambling. I would suggest that anybody in limbo now go to a private plan and buy it and pay monthly. They can always cancel at anytime after enrolling in an exchange plan if things work or some other plan, if they get a job for example with insurance.
All the plans in the exchanges are private plans. The only public plans are medicare, medicaid, and veterans benefits.
Yosh, you are smart and you know what I mean. I meant to buy outside of the exchange and deal with the insurer directly.
Here in NJ, the plans I saw on the exchange are the same ones I see on the Blue Cross Blue Shield website.
ieeee, I fortunately don't need the exchange or to shop on my own but I was helping a friend. We were having avery, very tough time identifying who the providers were on the exchange plans. I think it is discoverable but it wasn't available at the site and wouldn't be easy for somebody not too sophisticated with computers.

jcompton
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by jcompton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 pm

It is now very easy to see which insurance company is issuing which plan on healthcare.gov. Each plan has a subhead line naming the insurer, and on the left column of the screen, all valid issuers in your rating area are shown. You can click to show just the plans of one issuer. The layout of the site has improved considerably since launch.

magazinewriter
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by magazinewriter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Calm Man wrote:
ieeee, I fortunately don't need the exchange or to shop on my own but I was helping a friend. We were having avery, very tough time identifying who the providers were on the exchange plans. I think it is discoverable but it wasn't available at the site and wouldn't be easy for somebody not too sophisticated with computers.
If by providers you mean the participating doctors and hospitals, there are places to click on each plan that direct you to the provider list on each insurer's own website. There is also a place to click for Rx information. This may have been added since your friend checked Healthcare.gov or his state exchange.

In my state the participating doctors and hospitals are the same whether you buy a plan through the Exchange or outside the Exchange. The big issue in my case was that my current insurer, Cigna, narrowed the network for all its 2014 plans so I switched to Aetna.

SP-diceman
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:17 am

Re: Obamacare and Cancellation of Non Conforming Insurance

Post by SP-diceman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:48 am

Ged wrote:My son had a personal experience with the current healthcare transition process that might help some people.

He is currently on an insurance plan that does not qualify under the new rules. As such he was informed that his plan will not be renewable in 2014
Thats the idea.
I'm sure they will all be canceled eventually.

Just a question of when.

Post Reply