Gift Suggestions - for a 9 year old girl

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
atlanta_dad

Gift Suggestions - for a 9 year old girl

Post by atlanta_dad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Like to get a nice gift for my 9 year old daughter for x-mas. I can spend up to $75, and don't mind spending even more if it is useful. Thanks for your suggestions.

island

Re: Gift Suggestions - for a 9 year old girl

Post by island » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:20 pm

You gotta tell us more about her. What are her interests? Does she have a wish list for Santa?

atlanta_dad

Post by atlanta_dad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm

You gotta tell us more about her. What are her interests? Does she have a wish list for Santa?

Thanks for that. She likes things like rainbow looms, drawing etc. I still need to find her list for Santa.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:33 pm

My 5, 8, and 10 year old granddaughters all play with Rainbow Loom. I have a blue and white bracelet on right now that one of them made for me (I am ashamed to admit I can't remember which one). They take their Rainbow Looms to the Y and work in-between classes, as do their friends.

http://www.rainbowloom.com

I see she already has one. Sigh.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Does she buy her own clothes? (or select with parental supervision?) My 10 year old granddaughter likes gift cards; does your 9 year old like Justice?

Is there something big she wants that is too much for one gift from you? Last year, the 10 year old asked for Target gift cards so she could buy an iPad mini; she got a bunch of $25s and a few $50s. This year two of my granddaughters asked for Disney gift cards; they are hoping to get enough from all their relatives (and close family friends) to buy annual passports to Disneyland. I gave them each $25. If they come up short, they will probably use saved allowance money to buy the passports.

vveat

Post by vveat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Her list will be best, can you offer to "fax it to Santa" for her?

Mine is still a bit young, but I've been thinking I would do a mother-daughter night-on-the-town kind of thing - either show/movies and dinner, or a spa or just manicure/pedicure - at that age should work well, and it's experience rather than stuff. Of course it depends whether it will be an unusual treat or you do it already frequently enough.

Gauss44

Post by Gauss44 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:27 pm

atlanta_dad wrote:

Thanks for that. She likes things like rainbow looms, drawing etc. I still need to find her list for Santa.

Drawing: Go to an art supply store and buy her drawing supplies that she wouldn't buy for herself. Ask the employees there about gifts for younger artists. They'll give you some ideas.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 pm

I've been thinking I would do a mother-daughter night-on-the-town kind of thing

My granddaughters do musical theater. Several years ago, they were going to do Mary Poppins, and there was a production in town at Christmas time. I took the oldest as a "grandpa and me" special treat. This was her first dress up theater experience (she was better behaved than many of the adults around us), and it was special for both of us.

Gauss44

Post by Gauss44 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Gauss44 wrote:
atlanta_dad wrote:

Drawing: Go to an art supply store and buy her drawing supplies that she wouldn't buy for herself. Ask the employees there about gifts for younger artists. They'll give you some ideas.

And gift cards don't usually go wrong.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:58 pm

island wrote:You gotta tell us more about her. What are her interests? Does she have a wish list for Santa?

Santa? I don't think any nine year old believes in Santa.
Last edited by Dave76 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:59 pm

vveat wrote:Her list will be best, can you offer to "fax it to Santa" for her?

Mine is still a bit young, but I've been thinking I would do a mother-daughter night-on-the-town kind of thing - either show/movies and dinner, or a spa or just manicure/pedicure - at that age should work well, and it's experience rather than stuff. Of course it depends whether it will be an unusual treat or you do it already frequently enough.

A manicure/pedicure for a child?

How about a few Nancy Drew mystery books?

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:09 pm

At 9, doesn't she still play with dolls?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Dave76 wrote:How about a few Nancy Drew mystery books?

Times have changed. Many 9 year olds read Harry Potter. The 10 year old told me of a series of books about a demigod (child of a god and a mortal) that her friends like, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. He is the son of a greek god living in the modern world.
After a series of tragedies at Montauk beach, including thinking that he has lost his mother, Percy finds out that he is a demigod, and son of Poseidon, the God of Sea. He also discovers that he is accused of stealing the weapon of Zeus, the lightning bolt. Now, to clear his name of this thievery, and to save the world of World War III, he must find the real thief and return the lightning bolt to Zeus. Thus Percy Jackson and two companions, the satyr Grover Underwood and Annabeth Chase, a daughter of Athena, start on a journey to the underworld and the god of the underworld, Hades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Jack ... _Olympians

island

Post by island » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Dave76 wrote:
island wrote:You gotta tell us more about her. What are her interests? Does she have a wish list for Santa?

Santa? I don't think any nine year old believes in Santa.

Wrong about that

WHL

Post by WHL » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:41 pm

savings bonds. Seriously. I gave these as gifts way before I became a Boglehead.

Kids have too many cheap, throwaway Chinese crap toys as it is.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:44 pm

My wife just dropped serious bucks at the "American Girl" website. I suspect it's one of those places Grandmas can't resist.

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:45 pm

A good quality jewelry making kit would be nice

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:02 pm

We bought our 8 year old:

Perplexus Epic
Olivia House Legos
Snap Circuits
Paint by numbers

I would search on Amazon sorting by age, budget, and rating

ginyah

Post by ginyah » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Have 9 year old and 8 year old granddaughters. American Girl is their best friend. A doll will cost about $100 but if she already has one there are clothes you can buy, pets, beds, cars, baths, etc. you can add to their collection. My niece considered having an American Girl doll a 'status symbol'. I also bought the 9 year old a child's nail decorating set (My Little Pony) as well as a metal detector to use at the beach. For the 8 year old I found a couple of 'fairy' dolls as she is fascinated with fairies lately. I also found her a 'fairy' dress for herself. Remember they are still little children and want toys. You can also look at video games like the lego games or dance party. My granddaughters actually like to build with legos especially the new girly ones. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

john94549 wrote:My wife just dropped serious bucks at the "American Girl" website. I suspect it's one of those places Grandmas can't resist.

Nor can grandpas. I bought my first American Girl doll (a Bitty Baby) 8 years ago when the 10 year old was 2. I have purchased a number more since. The great thing about buying the first one is that the parents then get the responsibility for many of the others. Also, the granddaughters save their allowance, so I can take them and let them spend their own money. My gift is my time and my gas to drive to our local American Girl Place. You can also take your granddaughter and her doll to lunch at the American Girl Cafe for a special time out together.

Los Angeles’s American Girl Cafe is the place for lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, and parties. For reservations and seating times, call toll-free 877-247-5223. Prices subject to change. Now accepting reservations through March 15. Learn more

Lunch is $23 per person, excluding tax and gratuity. Seating times: 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
Afternoon Tea is $20 per person, excluding tax and gratuity. Seating time: 4 p.m.
Dinner is $24 per person, excluding tax and gratuity. Seating time: 5:30 p.m.

P.S. they have special seating for the doll at your table, but the doll's meal is free.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:01 pm

If you get an American Girl doll, I recommend getting one of the historical ones. You then can get the book sets on Amazon so your child can read some US history. For example, my granddaughter has Josephina (among others),
1824 - From her family’s New Mexican rancho comes the story of Josefina Montoya. She’s trying to preserve what is precious after her mother’s passing. When her mother’s sister comes to live with Josefina’s family, she is overjoyed. But Josefina must learn how to remain faithful to the old ways while helping her sisters and father open up to new ones.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/st ... nadoll.jsp
http://www.amazon.com/Josefina-Boxed-Ga ... 593697856/

davebarnes

Be good

Post by davebarnes » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Roth IRA
A nerd living in Denver

atlanta_dad

Post by atlanta_dad » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 am

Perplexus Epic
Olivia House Legos
Snap Circuits
Paint by numbers

Perplexus Epic seems to be interesting. My daughter is not much into puzzles, but after seeing few you tube videos she liked it. Which one may the best for her among the original, rookie and epic?

Thanks so much!!

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 am

atlanta_dad wrote:
Perplexus Epic
Olivia House Legos
Snap Circuits
Paint by numbers

Perplexus Epic seems to be interesting. My daughter is not much into puzzles, but after seeing few you tube videos she liked it. Which one may the best for her among the original, rookie and epic?

Thanks so much!!

We have all the Perplexus version - my five year old solved rookie in a day, original in about a week, and epic in about two weeks. He still plays with all of them and he's admittedly a puzzle junkie.

The original is a good place to start with a nine year old. She might get addicted and then you know what to get her next year! The rookie might be a bit too easy.

Below is a link to my favorite way to buy kids toys - FatBrain Toys list of toys by gender and age. If you don't see something here that looks good, try looking at the list for 9 year old boys, or 8/10 year old girls... there's lots of good ideas on this site.

http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toys/toys_by_ages/girls/top_picks_9.cfm
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

atlanta_dad

Post by atlanta_dad » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm

We have all the Perplexus version - my five year old solved rookie in a day, original in about a week, and epic in about two weeks. He still plays with all of them and he's admittedly a puzzle junkie.

The original is a good place to start with a nine year old. She might get addicted and then you know what to get her next year! The rookie might be a bit too easy.

Below is a link to my favorite way to buy kids toys - FatBrain Toys list of toys by gender and age. If you don't see something here that looks good, try looking at the list for 9 year old boys, or 8/10 year old girls... there's lots of good ideas on this site.

http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toys/toys_b ... icks_9.cfm

Thanks for the advice and thanks so much for the link!!

placeholder

Re: Be good

Post by placeholder » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:37 pm

davebarnes wrote:Roth IRA

I didn't see anything about the girl having taxable compensation.