Is sales for a start-up a "blue-collar" job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Paddington79

Is sales for a start-up a "blue-collar" job?

Post by Paddington79 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Without going into too many details--leave it be someone asked me this today--I'm wondering if you Bogleheads consider inside sales a white- or blue-collar job? I'm not talking about door-to-door sales or car sales, but sales inside a start up or a large corporation.

bottomfisher

Re: Is sales for a start-up a "blue-collar" job?

Post by bottomfisher » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:09 pm

FWIW- I would consider inside sales a 'white collar' job. I would consider a 'blue collar' job one that requires manual labor or is physically demanding to a certain extent

MnD

Post by MnD » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Shower before work - white collar.
Shower after work - blue collar.

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Generally, if you have to ask...it's a white collar job.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 pm

White collar, even if the shirt your wearing happens to be flannel or blue.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:33 pm

I can't think of any sales job I'd call blue collar. Blue collar is welding, electrician, plumbing, landscaping, warehouse worker, assembly line etc.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:44 pm

MnD wrote:Shower before work - white collar.
Shower after work - blue collar.
I love this definition, by the way.

:beer
Stay on target...

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:54 pm

College or professional sports coach -- shower after work and workout -- Blue collar for $2M per year????
Welding/plumbing/electrician business owner -- shower after work and various tasks, some dirty some not -- $150K per year
Public school teacher -- shower before work -- White collar for $35K per year???
Various help desk and phone clerks -- shower before work -- White collar for $35K per year???

Do you see some issues with this definition and the new reality of lots of white collar jobs??

MnD

Post by MnD » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:42 pm

btenny wrote:College or professional sports coach -- shower after work and workout -- Blue collar for $2M per year????
Welding/plumbing/electrician business owner -- shower after work and various tasks, some dirty some not -- $150K per year
Public school teacher -- shower before work -- White collar for $35K per year???
Various help desk and phone clerks -- shower before work -- White collar for $35K per year???

Do you see some issues with this definition and the new reality of lots of white collar jobs??
Nope no issues. Blue collar doesn't imply low pay and white collar doesn't imply high pay.
My neighbor is a master mechanic and welder at a large conventional fuel (coal and natural gas) power plant.
Not only does he shower after work, he showers and changes after work _at work_, so as to not mess up his car and home with power plant grime.
Great pay - about 5X of those public school teacher jobs for a guy with a HS diploma.

Dress up jobs like bank tellers make minimum wage or not much more in many areas.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:09 pm

btenny wrote:College or professional sports coach -- shower after work and workout -- Blue collar for $2M per year????

I doubt this is a new reality.

My understanding is that blue collar vs white collar has to do with the color of the shirt not the amount of pay. Many years ago, office workers were required to wear white shirts. Non-office workers were associated with blue shirts.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Am I the only one who now has the opening riff to this song stuck in his head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xArmqniFiJ8
Stay on target...

TT

Post by TT » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:22 am

And your concern is ...?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm

I work in a large professional organization - shirt colors worn: traditional white, french blue, pink, magenta, brown - what type of work is it? :mrgreen:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Most start-ups around here are no-collar (t-shirts).

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Sales is never blue collar - except for the times you have to roll up your sleeves and pitch in at a job site - it happens. Even then I know I can walk away from the actual work and no one can stop me. So it's still white collar no matter what. Even when I'm working physical labor, everyone around me is making an hourly wage and I'm getting a percentage of everything that happens. :moneybag White collar, baby.

Edit - there are route drivers that are commissioned salesmen. They blur the line between white and blue. They have to be a salesman and also hump the product into the store - and they definitely wear work clothes - except for the liquor store guys - they dress a bit better.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.