Small Business Saturday - free $10 from AMEX

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mikep

Small Business Saturday - free $10 from AMEX

Post by mikep » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:48 am

Free $10 from American express if you registered before at https://shopsmallneighborhoods.americanexpress.com/ and make a purchase $10 or more at a qualifying small business today.

Of course in Boglehead fashion this is only worth it if you were going to make the purchase anyway soon. So I'm looking at sites like kitty wireless, callingmart.com or somewhere I can get my $10 pageplus PIN from that accept American express should be qualified as small businesses. I could not find those but did find "Page Plus Cellular" in the database so buying a PIN from them directly might qualify:

PAGE PLUS CELLULAR

4640 MONROE ST, TOLEDO, OH 43623-4419

419-720-8945

Any other good ideas? I hate to give up my 5% callingmart discount but would rather have a 100% discount just incase I don't make it anywhere else today.
Not sure if gas stations qualify which would be easy as well.

EDIT: Ugh, I guess page plus doesn't accept amex online. bummer.

nirvines88

Re: Small Business Saturday - free $10 from AMEX

Post by nirvines88 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:35 am

I plan on using mine at a local small business restaurant. I would normally spend $7-8 at this place, but I'll add a drink or a cookie to get it up to $10+ so I qualify for the credit.

AmEx website has a feature that allows you to see a map of all participating stores, including food, electronics, etc. Should be a button that says "Visit the Map" off this link: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/smal ... hop-small/
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard

mikep

Re: Small Business Saturday - free $10 from AMEX

Post by mikep » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Good idea, on second thought it makes sense to buy a $10 gift card from the ice cream shop we go to all the time.
It should not make you spend more, you could do the same and just carry over $2-3 to next time, or if you weren't planning to go today anyway get a gift card to carry over the $10 to next time.

Some may be valid but not on the map, for the ice cream shop it turned up one ~30 miles away but not the exact same location ~1 mile from our house.

Also if anyone tries callingmart and it works let us know. Kitty wireless is planning a big cyber Monday sale so I will hold off on page plus PIN. Last year they ran 11% off all PINs on black Friday.