Does Vanguard have a test portfolio feature ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Hexdump

Does Vanguard have a test portfolio feature ?

Post by Hexdump »

I know that Fidelity does and I thought I would ask here before I go poking all around Vanguards site.

Just for grins I used the Financial Engines feature to see what they would recommend and I would like to build a test portfolio to watch its performance for a few months. I would like to see what happens as we pass through year end.

The rebalancing was pretty straight forward:

Both Roth and TIRA Presently :
100% Vwiax Wellesley Admiral. Value=1.15m

Roth Proposed: Value = 250,000
22% Vwiax Wellesley Admiral
46% Total Stock Market IDX:INV
32% Total Intl Stock Market Inv.

TIRA Proposed: Value=900,000
7% GNMA:Inv
35% Vwiax Wellesley Admiral
35% Total Stock Market IDX:ADM
23% Total Intl Stock Market Inv.

And in case you are interested, what do you think of their proposal ?
We are both retired, I am 74, she is 57.
My SS is $23,415. hers estimated at $10,680 at age 62.5
Annual expenses = $65,417
ddunca1944

Re: Does Vamguard have a test portfoilo feature ?

Post by ddunca1944 »

Yes VG has a way to test portfolio changes. It's done through the Portfolio Analysis page.
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

Yes, but you need to have a Vanguard account.

Within the vanguard account to the link "portfolio analysis". This gives asset allocation information. Then to the link "portfolio tester tool". The testing screen shows the current investments and you input dollar additions or subtractions; and / or input new (additional) fund. It shows allocation of current allocation and your newly proposed allocation side-by-side. But you need to be logged into your existing Vanguard account.
Topic Author
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Kewl, that is what I was looking for.

Thanks again
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

Some do not like the Vanguard's portfolio analysis feature because it classifies some assets differently then other asset allocation models (eg Morningstar). Vanguard's program is detailed with domestic assets, showing cap / style allocation. It shows percentages of domestic to international; but does not show the cap-style details of international assets.

I like it and use it when adjusting allocation, but need to understand it's limitations and differences from Morningstar, Personal capital, and other online allocation programs.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Hexdump wrote:
Just for grins I used the Financial Engines feature to see what they would recommend and I would like to build a test portfolio to watch its performance for a few months. I would like to see what happens as we pass through year end.
I do not believe Vanguard's Portfolio Analysis will track performance for a few months on a test portfolio.

You use it to see how buying and selling funds and etfs will impact your allocation.

I've used yahoo. You can build a test portfolio and watch what happens.
placeholder

Re: Does Vanguard have a test portfolio feature ?

Post by placeholder »

What would be the point? What would a few months tell you?