My relatives insulted my family for 40 years and think they

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
rec7

My relatives insulted my family for 40 years and think they

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:42 pm

are in the will. How do you go against something like this? We have removed them from the will but they still believe they are in it. How to you deal with relatives like this? Relatives that think they have a free reign but will get rewarded no matter what they do or say. They believe as relatives they have to be in the will.
Last edited by rec7 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MindBogler

Re: My relatives insulted my family for 40 years and think t

Post by MindBogler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:45 pm

"You're not in the will. Have a nice day."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Consult a lawyer because they will probably get one when they find out.

But I must ask why did you post this personal family matter on the forum?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SteveKL

Post by SteveKL » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm

rec7 wrote:How to you deal with relatives like this?
If they're that bad, why are they still in your life, never mind your will?

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:50 pm

I did not know who to ask and it is a money question. Bogleheads have been better to me than a lot of my relatives and a way more help full than all my relatives. In fact my relatives stop in mid sentence so I will not get information.
Last edited by rec7 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm

SteveKL wrote:
rec7 wrote:How to you deal with relatives like this?
If they're that bad, why are they still in your life, never mind your will?
They are out of it now.

alec

Post by alec » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Get a lawyer and stop talking to them.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

Geist

Post by Geist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Write the will as you want it written -- ignore outside influences (relatives included). Just be sure to include a "no contest" clause, basically stating that anyone who brings contest to the will is disinherited. This prevents them from getting themselves included (post-mortem) in the probate process. Alternately/additionally, you can include specific text denying those individuals any and all inheritance. If for some reason they mention their perceived "entitlement" (seriously, who actually does that?!?), feel free to bluntly state that you have specifically ousted them from your will, and that they will receive nothing -- oh, and there's the door. :twisted:

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:57 pm

livesoft wrote:Consult a lawyer because they will probably get one when they find out.

I was told that if I gave each of them .01 in the will they would not be able to contest the will is there any truth to that?

Blue

Post by Blue » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:04 pm

You need to discuss all of this with your estate attorney.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks Geist and everyone else. To me something like this is very crazy I was wondering if any of you have ever faced anything like this?

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 pm

livesoft wrote:Consult a lawyer because they will probably get one when they find out.

Agreed!

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm

rec7 wrote:

I was told that if I gave each of them .01 in the will they would not be able to contest the will is there any truth to that?
You've got to be kidding. Talk to an attorney.

gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 pm

I need to know just how they insulted you.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Get an attorney. Make that will as ironclad as possible.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:31 pm

gerrym51 wrote:I need to know just how they insulted you.
It is to complex to explain here but I will give a short version. It was several members of a family that insulted several members of my family for a period of 40 years hurting their name in the community and causing health problems.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Draft the will leaving each of your "distant" relatives a token sum of $100 ($2.50 per year of hardship endured), attach a letter explaining why you left them that amount if you feel you must explain it. Alternatively, place all of your assets in a living trust, upon death your instructions become irrevocable as is the trust - no estate, no will, have a nice day. :twisted: Alternatively, speak to an estate attorney, keep your intentions and mouth zipped - let your will or trust speak for you at death.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't see why anyone needs to know the reasons for excluding people from a will. I also think it is a common issue. Many find it prudent to leave some smaller amount rather than to write someone completely out of the will and having a statement about not contesting a will. If you are talking about a large estate getting a lawyer would be appropriate.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:40 pm

a little confused by the difference between "relatives" and "my family." I would read this to be relatives are those outside your immediate family like spouse/children. In this case why would relatives be in your will anyway? Who other than your spouse or children would be in your will? I have cousins, nieces, nephews, brothers, etc, and none of them are expecting nor going to be in my will. My wife has first dibs to everything and after us it all goes to the children.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:44 pm

bengal22 wrote:a little confused by the difference between "relatives" and "my family." I would read this to be relatives are those outside your immediate family like spouse/children. In this case why would relatives be in your will anyway? Who other than your spouse or children would be in your will?
Most of my family is dead. That might be adding to my problems also with the relatives.

huntertheory

Post by huntertheory » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

You should do with your assets and will as you see fit, but I'm not a big fan of the "don't tell anyone ahead of time and let your will do the talking" approach. The backhanded slap from the dead seems like a petty way to deal with what must be serious family issues.

Also the "token sum" thing is another petty tactic people use. If you do not want someone to receive anything from your will, simply speak to your attorney and provide where you assets will (and, if you must, will not) go. You shouldn't give anyone anything you do not feel they are entitled to but some of the games people play with their wills which are designed to do nothing besides make an emotional statement from beyond the grave have always seemed unseemly to me. But maybe I'm in the minority.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 pm

rec7 wrote:
bengal22 wrote:a little confused by the difference between "relatives" and "my family." I would read this to be relatives are those outside your immediate family like spouse/children. In this case why would relatives be in your will anyway? Who other than your spouse or children would be in your will?
Most of my family is dead. That might be adding to my problems also with the relatives.
That makes sense but with a good will I think you can will your monies to charity or any person that you choose.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Retread

Post by Retread » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Draft the will leaving each of your "distant" relatives a token sum of $100 ($2.50 per year of hardship endured), attach a letter explaining why you left them that amount if you feel you must explain it. Alternatively, place all of your assets in a living trust, upon death your instructions become irrevocable as is the trust - no estate, no will, have a nice day. :twisted: Alternatively, speak to an estate attorney, keep your intentions and mouth zipped - let your will or trust speak for you at death.
Not a good idea. I once administered an estate with several $100 bequests designed to disinherit certain relatives. The devisees refused to sign the receipts for the bequests and, after much trying, the money had to paid into court and eventually escheat to the state. It was eventually resolved but a real pain. There are better ways to accomplish the same objective. I guarantee this would happen with the OP's suggestion of one cent.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:49 pm

rec7 wrote:
You have no problem. Stop talking to them, stop entertaining them, write your will with the help of competent licensed counsel and be done with it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Retread wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Draft the will leaving each of your "distant" relatives a token sum of $100 ($2.50 per year of hardship endured), attach a letter explaining why you left them that amount if you feel you must explain it. Alternatively, place all of your assets in a living trust, upon death your instructions become irrevocable as is the trust - no estate, no will, have a nice day. :twisted: Alternatively, speak to an estate attorney, keep your intentions and mouth zipped - let your will or trust speak for you at death.
Not a good idea. I once administered an estate with several $100 bequests designed to disinherit certain relatives. The devisees refused to sign the receipts for the bequests and, after much trying, the money had to paid into court and eventually escheat to the state. It was eventually resolved but a real pain. There are better ways to accomplish the same objective. I guarantee this would happen with the OP's suggestion of one cent.
Bruce

How about having the OP leave token monies upon his death to a charity of his choice in their honor? Now the relatives have zero say or need to sign anything, the executor will pay the charities directly as instructed.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone a second time. At least I can count on my Boglehead family.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 pm

You have two issues.

One is a legal/financial issue, and you need a attorney's advice for this. Get an attorney who specializes in estate planning and that attorney can ensure that family members to whom you wish to leave nothing are indeed not included in your will, and they can explain to you strategies for making less likely they can challenge this somehow.

Your second issue regards you, your feelings, and your ability to communicate. That's not a real strength of this forum (nor is it appropriate for this forum, arguably), but it would be appropriate for a therapist. This would be an excellent thing to consider seeing a therapist for, who can advise you on ways you can approach this mentally so it causes you less stress and frustration, and maybe ways you can communicate with your estranged family members and how to set boundaries with them.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Make sure your will is drawn up by an attorney who specializes in wills/trusts. They know what they are doing, and can draw up the will according to your wishes and the laws of your state. You don't need to get into the "why" a person will or will not inherit.
My will states precisely who shall inherit, and also states that all others shall intentionally be excluded, plus states that anyone who contests the will cannot inherit.
Drawn up by an attorney who specializes in wills/trusts.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Geist wrote:Write the will as you want it written -- ignore outside influences (relatives included). Just be sure to include a "no contest" clause, basically stating that anyone who brings contest to the will is disinherited. This prevents them from getting themselves included (post-mortem) in the probate process.
Many judges tend to hate these no contest clauses. If someone adds one to a will, be sure to specifically describe what shall happen to the disinherited person(s)' share (eg, divided up among the remaining heirs.) The disinherited folks can still bring suit and drain the estate with legal fees.

lrak

Post by lrak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:21 pm

IMO this is completely your business. I do suggest make sure the executor is a paid, uninvolved, third party and you consider if there is any surviving people that you do care about.

IME, there are two sides to every story. I destroyed my relationship with my grandmother over changes to her will.

My grandmother went to a lawyer and had her estate documents re-written to make my brother and I co-executors of her will, her medical proxy, and give us power of attorney without informing us. Generally a competent estate planner would suggest a primary and backup, because with equal power if my brother disagree on something it could be tied up in the courts for years. Even though I'd been calling her 4-5 days a week, the topic didn't seem to come up until six months after these changes were made. The whole family thought my dad was the executor of the (out of date) will and my aunt was the (out of date) medical proxy/power of attorney. I immediately demanded my brother and I get notarized copies of the documents and a written letter explaining her life sustaining medical care wishes. She didn't have any notarized copies. She only had photocopies. The lawyer had the notarized copies so I didn't need them. Since her two prior lawyers were both disbarred and this lawyer was a solo practitioner in his 70s with a staff of one person, I pigheadedly stuck to my demands. When I did get the will, I discovered the re-write cut her only surviving child (our aunt)'s share from 1/2 of the estate to a token amount. I told her she needed to inform her daughter of the change or drop me as executor in the next week. I was totally out of line for not providing a slap in the face from beyond the grave for her. She eventually forgave me for my poor behavior six months later, but lets just say after the conversations over those six months I had doubts about the sincerity of her forgiveness.

For years after my mom died, I had called my grandmother on my commute home from work every day and listened to her rant about my no-good father and extremely minor family wrongdoings that had happened to her before my parents were born. My family drove 500 miles round trip every couple of months so she could get to know her great grandchildren. Since I'm just another no-good family member that has wronged her either way, I now just call four times a year and haven't visited in years. I'm probably written out of my grandmother's will at this point, but I feel great. I've never been closer to my aunt and my kids love her like a grandmother. If they were still around I'm confident both my mother and my great-grandmother would approve that I insulted the self-centered old witch. :beer

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:56 am

rec7 wrote:are in the will. How do you go against something like this? We have removed them from the will but they still believe they are in it. How to you deal with relatives like this? Relatives that think they have a free reign but will get rewarded no matter what they do or say. They believe as relatives they have to be in the will.
What they believe they have a right to is not really all that important. Just make sure you have a good estate lawyer ensure the will will hold up legally in case it gets challenged.

How to "deal" with the relatives may be more complicated. It's a little confusing as you distinguish between your "relatives" and your "family". Since you say "We removed..." I'll assume you are married. If the division is between the two sets of in-laws then after the couple has passed it should probably fade away in time. If it's a dispute within one family or the other, my inclination would to be to be careful striking the balance between what I felt was the right thing to do with my estate and perhaps creating an even deeper long-lasting rift in the family. So, I wouldn't do anything like leaving someone $1 as a way to strike back at them after death. If they're not being included as meaningful heirs I'd just leave them totally out. Myself, I'd rather go out as a person who out of love bequeathed to those who loved and respected me than as a person who out of spite used his estate to continue a feud.

Of course the best thing would be if things worked out that somehow the fences were mended. Obviously that is impossible sometimes.

In the end you have every right to bequeath as you choose. I would just ignore people who's expectations and sense of entitlement were unfounded.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

bberris

Post by bberris » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:06 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Geist wrote:Write the will as you want it written -- ignore outside influences (relatives included). Just be sure to include a "no contest" clause, basically stating that anyone who brings contest to the will is disinherited. This prevents them from getting themselves included (post-mortem) in the probate process.
Many judges tend to hate these no contest clauses. If someone adds one to a will, be sure to specifically describe what shall happen to the disinherited person(s)' share (eg, divided up among the remaining heirs.) The disinherited folks can still bring suit and drain the estate with legal fees.
IANAL, but I can't see how "no contest" is legal. How can you tell a will is valid if it can't be contested? What if it's forged?

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 am

I'm sorry about your problems. The only advice you should take from the bogleheads is to make sure a lawyer has drafted your will. In addition to the fact that you need a professional, these laws are state-specific.

JT

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:27 am

You must see a lawyer if only to put your mind at rest. It may help to bring a family tree to explain the relationships. Make sure you fully disclose any old business you have with the relatives (past business ventures, loans, property, settlement of other estates, lawsuits, etc). There's clearly more to this situation that you'll need to work through.

momar

Post by momar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 am

lrak wrote:I told her she needed to inform her daughter of the change or drop me as executor in the next week. I was totally out of line for not providing a slap in the face from beyond the grave for her.
I was just going to make a comment that you need to inform them, as this poster urged his grandmother to do. Don't leave it to your heirs to do this, especially given that they will be dealing with your passing.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:19 am

rec7 wrote:are in the will. How do you go against something like this? We have removed them from the will but they still believe they are in it. How to you deal with relatives like this? Relatives that think they have a free reign but will get rewarded no matter what they do or say. They believe as relatives they have to be in the will.
The Doobie Brothers come through in a situation like this
But what a fool believes he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

harrylime

Post by harrylime » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 am

bberris wrote: IANAL, but I can't see how "no contest" is legal. How can you tell a will is valid if it can't be contested? What if it's forged?
The approach to "no contest" clauses varies by state. (And I don't see a state mentioned in this case.)

Most states seem to follow the Uniform Probate Code in some fashion: a no contest (or "penalty clause") is unenforceable as long as there is probable cause for making the challenge.

But, then, there are states like Florida where the statute simply states that a no contest clause is unenforceable:
732.517 Penalty clause for contest.—A provision in a will purporting to penalize any interested person for contesting the will or instituting other proceedings relating to the estate is unenforceable.

Or Oregon where the statute states that it is enforceable except in a few circumstances:
§ 112.272¹
In terrorem clauses valid and enforceable
• exceptions
(1) Except as provided in this section, an in terrorem clause in a will is valid and enforceable. If a devisee contests a will that contains an in terrorem clause that applies to the devisee, the court shall enforce the clause against the devisee even though the devisee establishes that there was probable cause for the contest.

(2) The court shall not enforce an in terrorem clause if the devisee contesting the will establishes that the devisee has probable cause to believe that the will is a forgery or that the will has been revoked.

(3) The court shall not enforce an in terrorem clause if the contest is brought by a fiduciary acting on behalf of a protected person under the provisions of ORS chapter 125, a guardian ad litem appointed for a minor, or a guardian ad litem appointed for an incapacitated or financially incapable person.

(4) For the purposes of this section, in terrorem clause means a provision in a will that reduces or eliminates a devise to a devisee if the devisee contests the will.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 am

Advice that I'd second:

1) Don't give token amounts or write in "no contest" clauses. It will backfire.
2) Use a paid, professional executor. The will may say one thing, but a soft executor may do another.
3) Have an attorney draw up the will. Duh.

To this I'd add: tell your attorney you anticipate the will being contested, and ask to take steps to make the will robust against such an act. E.g. make sure the witnesses are bullet-proof, maybe sign the will shortly after a physical to rule out mental acuity challenges, whatever else the attorney suggests.

Then put this all behind you and chill out.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

The attorney that drafted ours (in MO, same location as the OP) asked about potential challenges and noted that any to not be included in inheritances be noted, but not included in any amount, as well as noting that all illegitimate off-spring also be noted as not being included in any proceeds --- challenge language was included....he noted that this will denote that certain decendents would therefore not be able to challenge as an oversight.
Ours was a trust....which you might want to consider instead of just a will... in that it is harder to challenge and which allows proceeds to go directly to the requisite parties. See a good lawyer...

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 am

Having you considered giving some of the money away before you die?

You are then alive and nobody can contest that they know better than you what
to do with your money. This might even help in a court case if it comes to that,
if your pattern of giving is consitent with what is in the will, since your
intent would be clear from your past actions.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 am

MathWizard wrote:Having you considered giving some of the money away before you die?

to do with your money. This might even help in a court case if it comes to that,
Good idea that and a good lawyer. Maybe I need to read the book die broke also.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 am

MathWizard wrote:Having you considered giving some of the money away before you die?

I like this idea. Makes a lot of sense. On one hand you get to see the joy your intended heirs will have seeing your generosity while you are alive. The other? Your nasty relatives will be squirming as they see their "inheritance" vanishing before their eyes...........and yours.

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am

I can offer no legal advice but agree with the other members who have suggested consulting competent counsel experienced with your state's laws and loopholes.

I'm always amazed by just how many folks feel entitled to money and property which they neither earned themselves nor had any part in amassing.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

clacy

Post by clacy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:33 am

It's weird to me that anyone outside of children and a spouse would feel entitled to a relative's money, but I'm sure it happens all the time.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 am

rec7 wrote:I was told that if I gave each of them .01 in the will they would not be able to contest the will is there any truth to that?
Leave them different amounts of prime number amounts, e.g., $11, $17, $19, $23, etc., to show that you've put the thought into this issue and knew what you were doing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:38 am

VictoriaF wrote:
rec7 wrote:I was told that if I gave each of them .01 in the will they would not be able to contest the will is there any truth to that?
Leave them different amounts of prime number amounts, e.g., $11, $17, $19, $23, etc., to show that you've put the thought into this issue and knew what you were doing.

Victoria
Someone will posit the counter argument that only a crazy person would do that. :wink: :oops:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Geist

Post by Geist » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 am

harrylime wrote:
bberris wrote: IANAL, but I can't see how "no contest" is legal. How can you tell a will is valid if it can't be contested? What if it's forged?
The approach to "no contest" clauses varies by state. (And I don't see a state mentioned in this case.)
Or Oregon where the statute states that it is enforceable except in a few circumstances:
I guess this is where I came from in suggesting a no-contest clause... I'm an Oregon resident, so the one in my will is (almost) totally binding.

Honestly, the best advice is what you've already got -- seek out a competent estate attorney. Whether by trust, will, or whatever, they will know the specifics for your state, and how best to protect your estate as you want to.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 am

Blues wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Someone will posit the counter argument that only a crazy person would do that. :wink: :oops:
Hey, Blues, have some respect for the number theory!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 pm

A lawyer can word your will to expressly exclude relatives.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

clacy wrote:It's weird to me that anyone outside of children and a spouse would feel entitled to a relative's money, but I'm sure it happens all the time.
Even 2nd cousins feel entitled and say it out loud in public. I don't know if it goes out farther in the blood line than that. It reminds me of the old western movies where the guy is dying in the desert with vultures circling.