Possible Job/Career Change Advice (Current Teacher)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
AJTrenkle

Possible Job/Career Change Advice (Current Teacher)

Post by AJTrenkle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 am

Aaa bb
Last edited by AJTrenkle on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbitts

Re: Possible Job/Career Change Advice (Current Teacher)

Post by tibbitts » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:48 am

You're qualified to teach at at least a 2yr college, so you could try applying for those jobs. You don't give information about your salary, but you may make less money if you teach anywhere else. Possibly significantly less money. It seems like teachers do transfer relatively easily between districts - even between states where licensing cooperates - but sometimes they start over in salary/benefits. Possibly if you stay in the same public school district, you're locked into a union situation where you're guaranteed not to make less than you do now, and that's what you're running into, where there are plenty of younger/cheaper teachers competing for the same jobs. You could also try private schools where there are no unions, but again you're probably looking at a step (or three or four) back in salary/benefits.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:36 pm

It's okay to explore, but I would not leave just yet. I am not a teacher, however know of a few in the profession who moonlight in other jobs to earn extra income.
You have no control over the curriculum and your school is not the only one in which this is occurring - it is happening all over the country! I assume you are tenured - no threat of immediate job loss, you are vested in the pension - how many years are left until you are eligible for full pension? (for example, in NYC it''s something like 25 and 55 - 25 of service and at least 55 years old you get full pension). If you are going to pursue teaching in a collegiate setting - why not teach 1 or 2 classes in a community college. The flip side is most colleges aren't seeking to get tenured professors, they hire adjunct and pay them by the class or hourly. No job is perfect. With 11 years in and those kind of benefits, I wouldn't switch now, but that's my opinion.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

AustenNut

Post by AustenNut » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:20 am

My spouse and I are both teachers around your age, and some of your issues are sounding very familiar. (Looking forward to reading others' responses to your questions.)

One thing to think about: Does your job currently participate in the Social Security system or is it exempt? If you're exempt, realize that if you switch careers into something with Social Security (most other positions) that you will likely have to deal with the Windfall Elimination Provision. Meaning, that your expected Social Security benefits would be reduced by a certain percentage of your pension (2/3, I believe). If you have between 21-29 years of "substantial" income that went toward Social Security, it's a lesser percentage. If you get 30+ years of a Social Security job then there's no reduction whatsoever.

So, are you desirous of an early retirement? Or is working until 63 (or later, depending on when you would get a Social Security position) worth it for you? If not, then you may want to look at other positions within the public school system (administration, etc). Just something to think about with your calculations of what you decide to do.

Rubiosa

Post by Rubiosa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm

I'd think twice before blowing off the 11 years of teaching you already have. Moving into administration would be something to think about. You'd still have stresses, but a different kind. I doubt there are many teachers with your experience who don't have some or most of your concerns. You're really doing pretty well. You're contributing. Your students respect you. Parents appreciate you. Money's not a problem. The grass doesn't get a whole lot greener. There's stress everywhere. Etc. What the hey?!

tj218

Post by tj218 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:35 pm

I too am a teacher (9th year teaching, in my early 30s) and am starting to feel burned out. I have asked myself this same question a lot as of late and I don't know of an answer. For what it's worth, I have known several people who have gone from teacher to admin with these same feelings, and all have regretted it. Your pay would go up, but so do your responsibilities, you will now be the one forcing (they are decided above your level) asinine initiatives upon others. Having teachers resent you at times, students (you would start and have to do a few years as an AP and you know they rarely aren't dealing with problems), then parents. It's a thankless job, not to mention the money to pay for the courses. Unless if you are 100% that being an AP and eventually a Principal is what you want to do, don't do it.

All the best.

Matigas

Post by Matigas » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:13 pm

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Matigas wrote:[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
The OP seems to be teaching American History and Economics. Those are primarily academic pursuits that you qualify for through education, not on-the-job training. I understand your point if you're talking about teaching auto shop, carpentry, or welding, but it doesn't really apply here. As for coaching, if you limit k12 coaching to people who've actually "done" the sport professionally and not just as a student-athlete, you're not going to have very many k12 coaches.

SoCalJasonland

Post by SoCalJasonland » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Job tenure and a pension are a hard thing to give up. [OT comments deleted by admin alex]

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 pm

I was a high school teacher/coach for 35 years. I'm currently in my 9th year of retirement. When I was your age, I had many of the same thoughts. But I'm glad I never acted on them. No matter how bad the district politics are or how poorly you feel that you are being treated, these are things that can, and often do, change with time. Once you close the classroom door and are with your kids, that's what counts. As long as things are good in the classroom, you are fine. Block out all the other BS. Remember why you entered the profession in the first place. You are doing more good than more than 95% of the people out there. That has to count for something. As for administration, I was tempted, but turned away because I wanted to work with kids, and administrators hardly worked with them.

Now to the good part. I have a good pension that pays for all our needs. I was able to retire at 57 with 80% of my pay. I always made enough money to provide for our family because we lived sensibly. We went on many camping trips in the summer, including one summer when we toured the USA for 7 weeks, something my rich friends in the business world could never do. I have great relationships with many former students. Sure, like any other job, it can get to you sometimes, but stick with it and you will be richly rewarded.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

AJTrenkle

Post by AJTrenkle » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I know it has been some time, but as the OP I want to thank those who posted. I honestly forgot to check as I thought the thread was buried! The comments were thoughtful and well informed and I am happy to say I am feeling a bit better about things these days. You all were (and are) very much right, and I appreciate this forum very much for the sage council in so many ways.

Happy New Year to everyone.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 pm

slapshot wrote:
When I was your age, I had many of the same thoughts. But I'm glad I never acted on them. No matter how bad the district politics are or how poorly you feel that you are being treated, these are things that can, and often do, change with time. Once you close the classroom door and are with your kids, that's what counts. As long as things are good in the classroom, you are fine. Block out all the other BS. Remember why you entered the profession in the first place. You are doing more good than more than 95% of the people out there. That has to count for something. As for administration, I was tempted, but turned away because I wanted to work with kids, and administrators hardly worked with them.
Ditto, in every regard.