Anybody used Simple.com yet?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
newkidontheblock

Anybody used Simple.com yet?

Post by newkidontheblock » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 am

I heard about Simple.com on public radio today. There were asked how they differ than mint.com which I currently use.
Their answer was real-time data availability and a better job of automatically categorizing transactions.
They also mentioned much better querying capabilities. One can query in natural language like "how much money spent in restaurants this year"
They do have Apps in Apple and Google stores.
I signed up on their website to be invited.

This is another example of new business that are trying to leverage big data.

SHB

Re: Anybody used Simple.com yet?

Post by SHB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 am

I used Simple.

Its really not a replacement for mint. Mint aggregates all of your accounts into one place; whereas simple is "mint like" but for only your checking account. Simple also does not play well with mint so you generally lose access to your cehcking account through mint with simple.

I switched to ally instead and like it better. Plays with mint better, better mobile check depositing, ally refunds atm fees.

Simple may have added functionality than your average checking account but its not anything that I use and I lost seamless compability with mint.

Having used both I would go with Ally + mint over Simple. I do have over a dozen simple invites if you want to try for yourself though.

linuxizer

Post by linuxizer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 am

I'd settle for Mint allowing me to assign custom categories to mutual funds. It's ridiculous that they can't classify VGTSM yet.

bogleherik

Post by bogleherik » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Simple.com is a bank. Mint.com is a financial management software not all that different from Quicken but online only. I don't see how you can even compare these two unless you're wondering if you'll be able to use Simple.com's financial tools to replace Mint.com. You certainly wouldn't sign up for Simple.com if you are simply looking for an alternative to Mint.com and not wanting a new checking account. An alternative to Mint.com would be more along the lines of PersonalCapital.com.

I do have a Simple account just to play around with. It is a fun online bank, but you don't use it if you care at all about earning interest, as they pay out near 0%.

searhapsody

Post by searhapsody » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 pm

I haven't tried simple.com, but I use Learnvest as a mint alternative. I've been pretty happy with their user interface and the ability to categorize my transactions. It also allows you to have your accounts updated as often as you like.

lemonPepper

Post by lemonPepper » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:38 pm

I know this is an old thread and I'm posting it just for others who maybe looking for info here.

I have used various checking accounts over time and dissatisfied with most of them. I have a USAA account but since I wasn't in the military, they don't allow me to deposit checks. Everything else works pretty well with them. I thought simple type bank account would be a good idea for ability to deposit checks and no fees for anything. Having used it, I don't think it's for me

- credit cards don't show up in payees. You have to manually type the address and they send a physical check. So it takes 3 days for payment to reach. I don't like this
- you cannot write checks
- no joint accounts
- checks usually take a long time to be credited
- i use credit cards for rewards so I doubt their expense tracking features will be of any use to me.

I hate BoA but I have a locker with them so I keep an account open with them. Their bill pay system is awful They dont' allow copy pasting of account numbers so I stopped using boa for banking. The atms do have high limits so in case I need a lot of cash (rare), I do ach transfer from USAA (one day)