best credit card for airline mile

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Kersten

best credit card for airline mile

Post by Kersten »

Which credit card is the best for accumulating airline miles?
dickenjb

Re: best credit card for airline mile

Post by dickenjb »

Curiously not an airline card but the Starwood American Express. It earns 1 starpoint per $ spent which converts into 1.25 miles in most airlines. Also annual fee is less than airline cards (which only earn 1 mile per $ but offer other bennies like free checked bags and early boarding).
prudent

Post by prudent »

Before jumping on a card that gives miles, you might want to evaluate whether a cashback card is a better choice. The ability to get seats with miles can be very difficult unless you are willing to pay a lot more in extra miles than the base amount - and not all airlines even offer that option. With so many flights flying full, airlines don't make a lot of free seats available.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

prudent wrote:Before jumping on a card that gives miles, you might want to evaluate whether a cashback card is a better choice. The ability to get seats with miles can be very difficult unless you are willing to pay a lot more in extra miles than the base amount - and not all airlines even offer that option. With so many flights flying full, airlines don't make a lot of free seats available.
You need to plan ahead and be flexible but I have had no trouble redeeming miles at the lowest level.

Going to Maui and Kauai and Napa Valley this January for 40K miles per person on UA. The airfare would have been over $1000 pp. That beats a 2% cash back card. Having said that, I personally use the Cap One Venture 2% cash back card as my primary. But I still have 3.5 million miles from when I worked.
enebyberg

Post by enebyberg »

I use Capital One Venture Card. Rewards flights can be privately booked and then reimbursed by them to your card (canceling out your airline cost on your credit card statement) or booked directly through Capital One link to Travelocity. I have found their prices very reasonable. MOST IMPORTANT: Capital One is the only credit card that does not charge a percentage for overseas transactions. Other cards usually charge 2-3% of every purchase made outside the US. If you want to travel internationally, Cap One is the way to go.
buckstar

Post by buckstar »

Many cards do not charge foreign transaction fees anymore, Chase British Airways, Chase United Explorer, Penfed CCs, to name a few.

As for airline mile cards, it really depends on which airline you fly the most. We live in a United hub, and it makes sense for use to use the Chase United card, mainly for the free 1st checked bag. If our whole family is flying that works out to $200 saved round trip if we all check bags.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Buckstar,

Go Cats! We are officially out of the frying pan and into the fire this weekend against the Buckeyes and then the Badgers. Team is a lot of fun this year, and some real talent all over the field.

On the credit card front, you have to pay, but the Amex Premium Rewards Gold Card is awesome if you fly a lot for business (and Delta in particular). You get triple points on anything spent on flights, and then a 10K bonus when you have spent $30k in a year, which I typically do. So at $30k spending on flights, you earn 100k points. I also use the Starwood Card for most everything else. For those dialed into the Delta/Starwood combination, they now offer crossover rewards, so Delta spending earns Starwood points and visa versa. So much of that flight spending also results in Starwood points, which are very vaulable for hotel stays.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

dickenjb wrote:Curiously not an airline card but the Starwood American Express. It earns 1 starpoint per $ spent which converts into 1.25 miles in most airlines. Also annual fee is less than airline cards (which only earn 1 mile per $ but offer other bennies like free checked bags and early boarding).
+1 on the Starwood card. They often have sign-up bonuses too.
Otherwise, it depends on the airline. I also have a Citi AAdvantage Mastercard, which generates American Airlines miles and also provides early boarding and one free checked bag, which are valuable perks if you are not an elite AAdvantage member who would get those anyway.

Also, check out flyertalk.com, which has a lot of forums about all the mileage programs.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Chase Sapphire Preferred.
https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/ ... -benefits/
This isn't a beginner card but what you can do with the Ultimate Reward Points, especially the transfers, is very powerful.
40K points sign-up bonus is huge, especially if you and your spouse each get their own card for 80K points sign-up.
Given what we use them for (1:1 points for miles exchanges on our favorite airline with miles used for first class tickets and upgrades) we value these points very highly.

With the 2X on travel and dining and the 7% annual points dividend it's maybe a 1.5 points per $ card overall for starters.
You can buy travel with points with a 20% bonus so that gets you to around 1.8 cents per $ spent.
We however use the points for transfer to FF miles that we value at 2.5 cents per mile, so my valuation of the card is 3.75 cents (1.5X2.5) in value for each dollar spent on the card. As such we've started using this card as primary, and only use our other cards for 4% back on gasoline (Costco business amex) and 5% US bank cash plus (user selected two categories) since those exceed 3.75 cents in value.

One thing Chase doesn't advertise is that you can deposit points for miles 1:1 into your spouses frequent flyer accounts as well as your own.
I'm going to do this next month so we both have exactly enough miles to buy first class tickets to Hawaii. You optimize usage that way and don't end up with say 10K extra miles "stranded" in your FF account while your spouse is 10K miles short for an award.
Last edited by MnD on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
gloomydog

Post by gloomydog »

Another vote for starwood card. The points transfer bonus is extremely useful, and can even be timed occasionally to earn greater bonuses if coupled with other promos.

And you also get the flexibility of using it as a hotel points card!

The only bad thing is this is an Amex and some places still don't take Amex.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Sapphire preferred is very powerful as you can transfer points into various airline partners (like the starwood card mentioned above) and you get 2x points on travel and dining, no foreign transaction fee, and a 7% annual dividend on your points.

Usually you can get much batter than a 2% return using airline points, hence I never bother with cash back cards or capital one type cards where they reimburse you for travel. (There are exceptions, amex blue cash preferred has 6% cash back on certain categories, so this would be worth considering depending on your spend habits)

As an example I shared in another post, I transferred 120K points from Chase into United Airlines, used it for a business class ticket from NYC to Asia with multiple stops. The ticket would have been about $5,000 had I purchased it in cash meaning that I got just over 4 cents per point value. To put it another way, If I used capital one or Amex Blue I would have had to use 500K points for the same ticket
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The best card is the card for the airline you use, particularly if you regularly fly out of a hub city.

For example, I fly out of Newark, so I'll normally fly United whether I use miles or cash. The United card gives a free checked bag (which covers the annual fee if I take two round trips per year), two passes to the United Club lounges, and priority boarding, and it also earns me United miles, which are more likely to be usable on flights from Newark then miles on other airlines, because there are a lot of nonstops.
Wiki David Grabiner
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

RE: Kersten's question....That depends on where you want to fly, and also what cards are offering the best miles promo deals. You will get many more miles by opening cards and churning them than you ever would counting on your spending.
If you play your cards right, you almost never have to pay for airline flights or hotel stays.
The question requires a very detailed response. Your best bet is to check out these sites:
flyertalk.com (the forums have all the info you could possibly need)
thepointsguy.com
frugaltravelguy.com
millionmilesecrets.com

I go to Europe every summer and South America every winter. I don't think I have paid for an airline ticket in 5-10 years, and I don't spend that much. I have also stayed in five star hotels for free, like the Hyatt Place Vendome in Paris. It probably involves about an hour of my time per year doing research. At first it will take more time, until you figure out the system.
Gleevec

Post by Gleevec »

I like the Chase Sapphire Preferred because it has multiple partners: United, Southwest, BA, etc. Very flexible.
Topic Author
Kersten

Post by Kersten »

Thank you to all of the people that responded. I try to fly to Sweden or France every year. This past year I had to pay cash for my ticket and it "hurt". I am going to research all suggestions and hopefully get enough miles for a free flight next year.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

protagonist wrote: Your best bet is to check out these sites:
flyertalk.com (the forums have all the info you could possibly need)
thepointsguy.com
frugaltravelguy.com
millionmilesecrets.com

I go to Europe every summer and South America every winter. I don't think I have paid for an airline ticket in 5-10 years, and I don't spend that much. I have also stayed in five star hotels for free, like the Hyatt Place Vendome in Paris. It probably involves about an hour of my time per year doing research. At first it will take more time, until you figure out the system.
+1

Those sites are great, and like you I haven't paid for airfare in a few years. There maybe 2 or 3 exceptions where I decided to pay because the tickets were cheap and the points I'd earn made it more worthwhile to pay with cash
WHL

Post by WHL »

It really depends on who you fly and how much you intend to spend.

I'd suggest signing up for one specific airline card (southwest, united, etc.) and the chase sapphire preferred. Easy free flights. CSP is good because the points transfer free, 1 to 1, to united, SW, british (oneworld) and Korean (skyteam).
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

With all the lucrative sign-up bonuses, that seems to me to be the thing to look at rather than any factors related to accumulating miles. At least do that initially and then decide if any are worth keeping. My wife and I each got 50,000 points from southwest, 55,000 miles from United, and 50,000 points (transferred to United and SW) from chase sapphire just for signing up and using the card a bit. I also got 35,000 miles from Delta.

We have not kept any of the cards as the miles/points we have now will cover us for a few years.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
mech_tower

Post by mech_tower »

Sorry for restarting this thread - I thought this would be the best thread to state my question -

I have a Chase United Airlines credit card. I used to travel a lot on business and the yearly fee ($95) was not bad in light of what I was doing. I have since started working from home and travel maybe once a year on flight for vacation. I was wondering if anyone here knows how I can transfer my united airlines points that I accumulated through this card to another card with no annual fee ? Does the CapitalOne VentureOne allow this, since they claim to have have the ability to make bookings on any airline anytime?

Thank you.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

mech_tower wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 pm I have a Chase United Airlines credit card. I used to travel a lot on business and the yearly fee ($95) was not bad in light of what I was doing. I have since started working from home and travel maybe once a year on flight for vacation. I was wondering if anyone here knows how I can transfer my united airlines points that I accumulated through this card to another card with no annual fee ? Does the CapitalOne VentureOne allow this, since they claim to have have the ability to make bookings on any airline anytime?
No, you generally can use your United miles for United travel and partner redemptions (both travel and otherwise). See MileagePlus website. You can't efficiently transfer miles out of MP.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... fault.aspx

My suggestion is to use up the miles within the United program and switch to a new credit card. Just make sure you keep the miles from expiring; you need some sort of activity (not necessarily a flight) every 18 months. If you generally don't travel much anymore, perhaps a 2% cashback card with no annual fee is your best value.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Agree with the above post. I like the USAA 2.5% cash back card, which is great for those of us who qualify. H likes his Chase Sapphire preferred, which he got with a 70k signing bonus awhile back. It can be used for any airline and gives primary CDW for car rentals. It was useful when someone broke our back window if our rental car and it would've cost us $455 but we were fully reimbursed. H also likes United Explorer card for free checked luggage, for when we don't have silver status and automatic free checked bags. Those are our 3 favorite cards for now.
mech_tower

Post by mech_tower »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 pm My suggestion is to use up the miles within the United program and switch to a new credit card. Just make sure you keep the miles from expiring; you need some sort of activity (not necessarily a flight) every 18 months. If you generally don't travel much anymore, perhaps a 2% cashback card with no annual fee is your best value.
Thank you! I am going to look into this. :happy
mech_tower

Post by mech_tower »

HIinvestor wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm Agree with the above post. I like the USAA 2.5% cash back card, which is great for those of us who qualify. H likes his Chase Sapphire preferred, which he got with a 70k signing bonus awhile back. It can be used for any airline and gives primary CDW for car rentals. It was useful when someone broke our back window if our rental car and it would've cost us $455 but we were fully reimbursed. H also likes United Explorer card for free checked luggage, for when we don't have silver status and automatic free checked bags. Those are our 3 favorite cards for now.
I am going to look into the USAA card. I guess it is worth the $95/ year with my current United card for free checked luggage and lounge access!

Appreciate your thoughts TravekGeek and HInvestor!
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I've kind of steered away from airline mileage cards for one airline. Rarely can I use the points economcally without either going to a higher point tier or paying a copayment along with the points to use them. Some of the hotel chain cards look more useful. The non airline travel cards are better and a few have very lucrative upfront bonuses. For most purchases I use 2% fidelity cash back card.
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 pmJust make sure you keep the miles from expiring; you need some sort of activity (not necessarily a flight) every 18 months.
During a period when I was not flying with the airline that I normally collect miles with what I did to keep my points active was to donate some. I donated miles to Engineers without Borders but there are others that will work too.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

mech_tower wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:39 pm
HIinvestor wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm Agree with the above post. I like the USAA 2.5% cash back card, which is great for those of us who qualify. H likes his Chase Sapphire preferred, which he got with a 70k signing bonus awhile back. It can be used for any airline and gives primary CDW for car rentals. It was useful when someone broke our back window if our rental car and it would've cost us $455 but we were fully reimbursed. H also likes United Explorer card for free checked luggage, for when we don't have silver status and automatic free checked bags. Those are our 3 favorite cards for now.
I am going to look into the USAA card. I guess it is worth the $95/ year with my current United card for free checked luggage and lounge access!

Appreciate your thoughts TravekGeek and HInvestor!
I have an old Chase United Mileage Plus card with no annual fee. The mileage earning rate is only 1/2 the typical, but I keep it around and use it every six months or so to keep it alive. This would keep my United miles from expiring if I didn't fly them for a while. I dropped the United Explorer card before the renewal fee came around a couple of years ago; I signed up again and am working on another 50K mile bonus now. The lounge access and checked bags aren't a priority in our personal flying pattern (I avoid United domestic flights, but their international options are better than most others for us).

The Citi 2% and the Costco card are my defaults, but I also try to make sure that I've got a card with no foreign transaction fee and one that covers car rental insurance in hand for travel. Beyond that I'm not currently planning to keep any of the annual fee cards (Sapphire Reserve and United Explorer) past the renewal.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit card).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

mech_tower wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 pm Sorry for restarting this thread - I thought this would be the best thread to state my question -

I have a Chase United Airlines credit card. I used to travel a lot on business and the yearly fee ($95) was not bad in light of what I was doing. I have since started working from home and travel maybe once a year on flight for vacation. I was wondering if anyone here knows how I can transfer my united airlines points that I accumulated through this card to another card with no annual fee ? Does the CapitalOne VentureOne allow this, since they claim to have have the ability to make bookings on any airline anytime?

Thank you.
Keep in mind that you do get one free checked bag for up to two travelers and priority boarding as long as the reservation is paid using the card. That alone on a trip for two with one checked bag each would pay for the AF on the card.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

mech_tower wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 pm Sorry for restarting this thread - I thought this would be the best thread to state my question -

Thank you.
As others said, you generally can't transfer from an airline. Some credit cards have programs (e.g. Chase Ultimate Rewards) that let you transfer to, but not from, a selection of airlines which makes you flexible.

If you are up for some effort, you can probably get a new card once a year and have a shot at flying at a substantial discount. e.g. you can sign up for the Southwest card now, get 60K miles (I just did that a month ago ) for spending 3K in first 3 months. Pay the annual $99 fee on sign up. Cancel card in a year. Use your miles. Repeat. Deals come and go, but in general this works well if you can meet the spending requirements without wasting money, e.g. normal spending or prepaying your insurance or such. And sometimes you can get the same card with a bonus again if you wait 2 years after cancelling.

If you want less effort, I agree, cash back cards seem like the way to go.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

curmudgeon wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 pm I have an old Chase United Mileage Plus card with no annual fee. The mileage earning rate is only 1/2 the typical, but I keep it around and use it every six months or so to keep it alive. This would keep my United miles from expiring if I didn't fly them for a while.
This no fee card is available if you have had the explorer card for at least one year.

We use the same strategy for my wife's account, she downgraded after 12 months but before the fee was applied (there was about a 2 week gap). I did not know about this option when I did the explorer card but plan to do that United card again when they offer me at least 50,000 miles and no fee for first year.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Thank you.
Your post appears to imply that you think you will lose the miles if you cancel the card? If so, that is not the case, the miles are in your United Airlines Mileage Plus account not your Chase credit card account.

United used to have gift card option, that was a reasonable way to cash in if you don't want to use for flights. It was 1 cent per point, so when I did this card for a 50,000 point bonus, I figured worst case would be I'd get $500 to spend at Kohls. I don't know if they still offer gift cards.
CC1E

Post by CC1E »

Chase Sapphire Reserve is my current go-to card. The points have a good value, and it has 3x on dining/travel purchases.

The SPG Amex used to be my preferred non-dining/travel card, but since the Marriott buyout I've been leery of point inflation. Also, it's likely that they'll switch to a Chase card in the relative near-term.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

There is no single best card (as this thread proves) we would need a lot more data from you on what sort of flights you want to take from where to where and in what cabins. This is going to vary greatly from individual to individual.

Essentially you have three sort of airline points cards (some overlap).

Airline Issued Cards: Earn points on the airline who issued the card (or rather whose branding is on the card). You often get some other benefits like more priority boarding, free checked bags, possibly some qualification towards elite status. Some cards also come with some sort of certificate for companion for "free" or discounted travel after some about of spend.

Cards that earn transferable currencies: The are cards that earn points that can be transferred to other prgrams/airlines. The big ones are Chase UR, Amex MR, Citi TYP and SPG. These cards allow you to transfer points to many different airlines giving you great flexibility. Some let you use your points for a fixed value against purchased airfare (see next bullet point).

Cards that earn cash value points for travel: These cards often issued by banks who don't have transferable currencies. Basically they give you points that have some sort of fixed or somewhat variable value for purchased tickets only. The good news is you know the value you are going to get upfront, you are not limited to awards availability and they are simpler because you do not need to familiarize yourself with one or more airline programs. Bad news is you are unlikely to get real outsized value from your rewards. Most transferable currency cards also have this feature (UR/MR/TYP).

My take is outside of signup bonuses unless 1) you put a lot of spend on the cards and 2) love hacking travel programs you would be better off with a 2% cashback card.

Edit I see you fly to France and Sweden. Given that I'd look at the transferable currency cards. Air France does not issue its own card in the US but is a transfer partner of UR/MR/TYP and SPG I think (I'd never use SPG on AF so not 100% sure). You probably want to avoid the UK carriers (Virgin Atlantic and BA due to their very high fees and taxes on awards tickets).
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

technovelist wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:43 pm
dickenjb wrote:Curiously not an airline card but the Starwood American Express. It earns 1 starpoint per $ spent which converts into 1.25 miles in most airlines. Also annual fee is less than airline cards (which only earn 1 mile per $ but offer other bennies like free checked bags and early boarding).
+1 on the Starwood card. They often have sign-up bonuses too.
Otherwise, it depends on the airline. I also have a Citi AAdvantage Mastercard, which generates American Airlines miles and also provides early boarding and one free checked bag, which are valuable perks if you are not an elite AAdvantage member who would get those anyway.

Also, check out flyertalk.com, which has a lot of forums about all the mileage programs.
I love Starwood but the one challenge is, it is probably not long for this world at this point. SPG and Marriott will be merging their loyalty programs in 2018 and who knows what form it will take and whether Chase and/or Amex will be the issuer of the new combined cards. I am still earning SPG points but I am already formulating an exit plan and I have a large stash so I can use them well. If I was starting at 0 today, I am not sure I'd go with SPG at this point. It is possible Marriott will embrace all that is good about SPG but I suspect that won't happen.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I have British Airways VISA card. You get 50,000 miles after the initial spending, plus if you spend $30k a year, you get a companion ticket in addition to another 50,000 miles. I use the companion ticket to book business class tickets for my husband and I to London. It's much better than cash back. I pay $2600 for two business class tickets vs $16,000, prices I've found on Google flight. Much better use of my mileages.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 am I have British Airways VISA card. You get 50,000 miles after the initial spending, plus if you spend $30k a year, you get a companion ticket in addition to another 50,000 miles. I use the companion ticket to book business class tickets for my husband and I to London. It's much better than cash back. I pay $2600 for two business class tickets vs $16,000, prices I've found on Google flight. Much better use of my mileages.
Though we are in the minority I also find value in the BA companion certificate though for me it is more First class than business. That said $16000 for two business class is crazy (assuming you are flying from North America to Europe). In fact that is a stretch even for first class. If you pay any attention to sales etc, BA frequently discounts business class for less than $3000 and often less than $2500. In 2015 I bought business class tickets for summer of 2016 via a BA sale for $763 (no a digit is not missing from that) each round trip per person Washington (via JFK) to Madrid on AA metal. I'd argue the typical sale price for BA business is closer to $3500 per person round trip (at least from East Coast). Also while the very definition of first world problems BA business class hard product is one of the least desirable out there. The two middle seats in business class in particular are horrible unless you know the other person.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

THY4373 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 am I have British Airways VISA card. You get 50,000 miles after the initial spending, plus if you spend $30k a year, you get a companion ticket in addition to another 50,000 miles. I use the companion ticket to book business class tickets for my husband and I to London. It's much better than cash back. I pay $2600 for two business class tickets vs $16,000, prices I've found on Google flight. Much better use of my mileages.
Though we are in the minority I also find value in the BA companion certificate though for me it is more First class than business. That said $16000 for two business class is crazy (assuming you are flying from North America to Europe). In fact that is a stretch even for first class. If you pay any attention to sales etc, BA frequently discounts business class for less than $3000 and often less than $2500. In 2015 I bought business class tickets for summer of 2016 via a BA sale for $763 (no a digit is not missing from that) each round trip per person Washington (via JFK) to Madrid on AA metal. I'd argue the typical sale price for BA business is closer to $3500 per person round trip (at least from East Coast). Also while the very definition of first world problems BA business class hard product is one of the least desirable out there. The two middle seats in business class in particular are horrible unless you know the other person.
It's from the LAX to LHR. I buy my tickets way ahead, almost a year. I only need the class that I can lay down and sleep. Business class will do. Had I read your post, I might not give away miles two free tickets to Europe from LAX to my kid and her friend. Ah it's too late.
Btw, I just checked on Google flight, from Washington DC to Madrid through JFK, business class, for next summer is $5700 for one business ticket. Maybe if you wait until the last minute, it might be cheaper. But I'm flying with my avios and don't want to take any chance. I know last year when I flew to Europe, the business and first class seats were gone if you book closer to the dates. Like 4 months closer.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

To be clear BA has certain times when they tend to have fare sales usually one in the spring and one in the fall (you are not going to find the cheap fares outside of these periods generally speaking and you want to be a member of AARP for the $200 discount (used to be $400) also BA Visa card holders can get 10% off. My Madrid fare was purchased in fall 2015 for summer of 2016 so hardly last minute. In general my experience is that fares start out really high when released at T-355 and then drop as BA figures out the load factors and then they go up again as the departure date approaches. For sure if you want to lock in tickets a year out youl'll do better with Avios generally speaking. I will also say that Avios might be a better deal West Coast than East as I haven't investigated that.