Quicken and Vanguard - Download Problem

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
faychin

Re: Quicken and Vanguard - Download Problem

Post by faychin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am

In the interest of getting Vanguard files to download accurately to Quicken, I got my 14 files to download correctly and repeatedly. This was done at the suggestion by a forum member. I went thru and got rid of all unneeded outdated accounts. These were hidden, no longer used and closed. There were plenty accumulated over 30 years. I double checked by deactivating Direct connect accounts also. I made sure the number of Vanguard accounts correlated to those I currently use. I did this on four quicken accounts and it fixed them. By the way I do not have a Vanguard Brokerage account just mutual funds including variable annuities. Prior to last month all my direct connects worked perfectly for months even including the unused accounts. So I get the notion that Vanguard tightened up the code and therefore it crashes when it runs into data it does not recognize or has no data for. So if one's data set was perfect downloads work fine. But many people have laying around an extra account or two.
I really think we have hit on something and would like to hear from any who give it a try. It doesn't hurt anyhow to do a little house cleaning. Don't forget to backup prior to any changes just for safety sake.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:21 am

bertilak wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:I can check it out myself ...
Let us know. :happy

But perhaps I am getting ahead of things. Let's see exactly how VG does this. There may or may not be other considerations when the time comes.
Using Quicken 2012, I transferred shares between accounts. Each security in the from account was "removed" from that account and transactions were entered into the new (to) account, one for each transaction that had occurred in the from account. The transaction date was today, but each transaction included the effective date of the original transaction.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:51 pm

investorVan wrote:I see another related issue- now dividend transactions aren't being properly generated. For non-reinvested dividends I only see the dividend being swept to the money market- there is no transaction for the dividend itself (though the transactions exist on the Vanguard web-site view of this account). Anyone else see this?

Here we go again- when Vanguard moved brokerage accounts from Pershing it took them MONTH before dividends worked again. I would suggest you be sure to save back-ups of your quicken data files from before all this began. They may be needed later to get everything back in correctly

-Joe
Dividends from Vanguard Short Term Corp Bond ETF held at VBS dated 11/6/13 downloaded today 11/7 with no problem. I think this is the "pay' date.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

isnahkeri

Post by isnahkeri » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Camano wrote: Does everyone know that Vanguard deletes inactive/zero balance accounts after a few years?

I finally bit the bullet and went through account by account and found out that apparently sometime during the last 5 weeks of download problems they deleted one of my old accounts that I had neglected to deactivate direct connect on.

After deactivating that account and the brokerage account I was able to update and reconnect the brokerage account.

The moral - don't forget to deactivate downloads on inactive accounts!
Thanks, Camano for this post. I followed your advice, found a old, hidden, brokerage account set for Direct Connect. I deactivated it, closed/opened program and, voila, after three weeks of frustration it went online and downloaded all my pent up Vanguard data.

walkinwood

Post by walkinwood » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Thank you for the suggestion to go look at all the accounts. I too had some old brokerage accounts at VG that were configured for Direct Connect.

If, after cleaning up & checking your accounts, you still get stuck in the "error recovery", disconnect your accounts from VG and then connect them again. You'll need to link the VG accounts to the correct Quicken accounts & maybe ignore a few brokerage numbers that show up. It should work then - mine did.

Thanks again.

investorVan

Post by investorVan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 am

Doc wrote:
investorVan wrote:I see another related issue- now dividend transactions aren't being properly generated. For non-reinvested dividends I only see the dividend being swept to the money market- there is no transaction for the dividend itself (though the transactions exist on the Vanguard web-site view of this account). Anyone else see this?

Here we go again- when Vanguard moved brokerage accounts from Pershing it took them MONTH before dividends worked again. I would suggest you be sure to save back-ups of your quicken data files from before all this began. They may be needed later to get everything back in correctly

-Joe
Dividends from Vanguard Short Term Corp Bond ETF held at VBS dated 11/6/13 downloaded today 11/7 with no problem. I think this is the "pay' date.
Thanks, but I'm not seeing that consistently - I'm still seeing most Mutual Fund dividends that are not reinvested download just as a Sweep to MM transaction in the amount of the dividend - there should also be a Dividend transaction. Oddly a CEF dividend is posting correctly.

faychin

Post by faychin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Now that I have spent a week looking at the 4 quicken accounts that are direct connected. I have seen that just cleaning up the accounts is not always enough. As mentioned above, some accounts need to be disconnected and reconnected. This goes for non vanguard accounts also. So it remains to be seen if the transactions will be correctly downloaded next month. During the time spent on this issue I have run across three other problems.
1. There are no symbols for Vanguard Variable Annuity accounts. Therefore these accounts will not be updated automatically. One has to manually update the daily price.
2. In certain situations, Quicken forces a single mutual fund to combine with other single mutual funds and be combined even though the accounts are set up as single mutual funds. While this works. It is not the way a user prefers for single mutual funds.
3. while these work arounds seem to get the downloads, on initially downloading, I get error 293 which says to redownload, and this gets the download without the error 293.
I have not received an email from Vanguard yet saying that this download is fixed.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:04 pm

I may call my flagship rep again...

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:25 pm

...answer some users particularly those who had Pershing accounts are still in limbo, no final resolution, I'm on the list to be called. Yay me.

wheld280

Post by wheld280 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 am

This morning I went to update all my accounts on Quicken. I have 14 accounts including 5 with Vanguard. All have been working fine except for the 5 Vanguard ones which have not automatically updated since the end of September.

To my surprise all the Vanguard accounts updated and it appears the everything is now current when I compare my Vanguard accounts on Quicken versus the Vanguard website. I hope this means that Vanguard has "fixed the problem".

Are other Bogleheads finding their accounts now working or are you still having problems?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Since you ask, mine have all been working fine ever since the "reset to original account number" solution. I just didn't want to jinx it.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

faychin

Post by faychin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Based on my reading this topic from September to now, there are several problems.
1. Vanguard accounts not posting the latest transactions mainly
2. other accounts not downloading also
3. old vs new brokerage accounts not downloading correctly
4. having to disconnect and reconnect accounts to get them to download
5. transactions with above fixes working for one day and not the next.
6. and more than I can recall at the moment.
So lets keep them all in mind when responding to contributors who are sharing
their experiences.
And let's not forget that all of these problems did not exist prior to Vanguard
changing their end(server?). Our downloads worked fine even with all our faults.
I've spent hours and hours on this and have come to the conclusion to just manually download
the transactions from Vanguard and not waste anymore time.
Adios amigos, I'm outta here!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Faychin, your next to last post mentions a Variable Annuity problem (no symbol so no quotes if I understood correctly), a Quicken problem, a non-recurring download problem which if I understood correctly is now working, and the fact that you have not received an email.

We all wish that we had not had to invest time on this, but I don't understand your "adios" or decision to do manual downloads.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

faychin

Post by faychin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 pm

I really do appreciate you taking the effort to raise the issues you stated. so I will clarify.
Your posts were one of the first to mention file cleanup and reconnect.
1. Some of us have Vanguard Variable Annuities as part of our portfolio. These "funds" are
similar to regular mutual funds except they do not have a formal symbol like wellington
which is VWELX. Therefore one cannot do a one step update because there is no daily price to
look up. These funds may not have the 600pm deadline to state their NAV.
2. I don't have a lot of confidence that next months distributions will one step direct connect
transact properly.
3. As many super large companies do, Vanguard may just drop this issue as it is just a convenience
and not their core business. After all it is Quicken's problem. Not many folks will drop Vanguard over this issue.
I know I was a coder for many years.
4. The time I spent updating files and reconnecting and so on, if spent on just doing a manual download at the end of the month
would equal a few years of time.
I am already beating a dead horse. so thanks for your comments but that is how I see it.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 pm

My Flagship rep indicated that they did some fixes (also back to VG account #s for brokerages), my downloads worked again...

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:09 pm

JamesSFO wrote:My Flagship rep indicated that they did some fixes (also back to VG account #s for brokerages), my downloads worked again...
That's really interesting. When the account numbers switched back our accounts were still downloading. so in the let sleeping dogs lie philosophy everything is working OK with the Pershing numbers. The only thing that might (?) have changed is that it seems trades are being downloaded on the settlement date instead of the trade date. But I'm not sure.

On another IT issue: I've been having trouble with wash sales. I sent an email and it took three days instead of the target two to get a response. The response was something like "I am investigating and will get back to you in three weeks." OTOH.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 am

Doc wrote:
JamesSFO wrote:My Flagship rep indicated that they did some fixes (also back to VG account #s for brokerages), my downloads worked again...
That's really interesting. When the account numbers switched back our accounts were still downloading. so in the let sleeping dogs lie philosophy everything is working OK with the Pershing numbers. The only thing that might (?) have changed is that it seems trades are being downloaded on the settlement date instead of the trade date. But I'm not sure.

Mine had stopped again when the switched from Pershing (back) to VG account numbers. They definitely indicated the ex-Pershing brokerage holders seem to have been the most troubled switches of the bunch and that a change had been made today. Here's to hoping.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:57 am

JamesSFO wrote:
Doc wrote:Mine had stopped again when the switched from Pershing (back) to VG account numbers. They definitely indicated the ex-Pershing brokerage holders seem to have been the most troubled switches of the bunch and that a change had been made today. Here's to hoping.
My last download was 11/15 and everything seemed OK except perhaps for transfers of money. (Sometimes I have to adjust "sold" and "soldx" type Quicken transactions.) However I think we have had no recent transactions initiated on the brokerage side. So maybe the problem is back and we have just not had the type of transaction that triggers it.

I'll keep watching.

investorVan

Post by investorVan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:32 pm

JUST GOT AN EMAIL FROM VANGUARD-
-Joe

An update on Quicken downloading capabilities

Dear .....,

After working closely with Intuit to improve the capability to download account information from vanguard.com to Quicken, we recently made a number of changes to resolve issues with the service.

Thank you for letting us know about the problems you experienced. We're sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused.

If you have any other issues with the software, please call us at 888-353-0547 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Eastern time.

Sincerely,

Vanguard Web Technical Support Services

PrivacyIsImportant

Post by PrivacyIsImportant » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:30 pm

It hasn't been really fixed for me ever since it began in Sept. I have an employer account that for years would be downloaded with the cash source. That is no longer happening & it's making a real mess with a growing number placeholders that I can't correct.
I want me to delete all the past transactions that contained the cash source data & use only the new funds it shows as of ~ 10/14. I also cannot access any of the cash source data any longer. There is no cash source button as there used to be.
It's made it worthless except for seeing the total value.

Barbara L