Tracking I Bonds on a MAC

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
chrisjul

Tracking I Bonds on a MAC

Post by chrisjul »

I just switched to a MAC computer and see that the Savings Bond Wizard does not work on a Mac.

Has anyone found a program that will track and update savings bonds ??

Tks in advance,

C
Ice-9

Re: Tracking I Bonds on a MAC

Post by Ice-9 »

You can use the Savings Bond Calculator and save your work by saving an HTML file per these instructions:
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/hel ... s_help.htm

I'm a long time Mac user, and I used this method many years ago. However, for at least the last six years I've been using Yodlee.com (similar to Mint) to track all of my finances, and for my savings bonds I just update my Treasury Direct total with a manual entry on Yodlee every so often.

Edit to add: Google found this: http://www.hamiltonapp.com/
Haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it.

Previous thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61743
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I use a Mac and "use the website and save the file" works fine for me. The directions Ice-9 linked to actually seem to be for the Windows version of Safari. I use the Mac version and I use "save as web archive" because it works and it preserves the "look" of the page.

I have also found that the Windows Savings Bond Wizard actually seems to work under WinOnX, a Windows emulator available for $5 in the App Store. WinOnX is a very iffy bit of software, based on Wine, with a lot of reviews from annoyed users, but as I say the Savings Bond Wizard SEEMS to work, although I don't really use it and haven't tested carefully. Ah, it's actually in their compatibility database, coded yellow meaning there has been at least one error report.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

THANKS, guys!!!!

Works great....the Mac has been a bit of an adjustment after so many yrs on a PC.

C
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It is. One thing I really like about Mac OS X, if you haven't discovered it yet: the built-in ability to print to PDF. That is, anything you can print, you can save as a PDF file. The compatibility between Mac OS X-generated PDFs and non-Mac PDF readers is pretty good, and so is the ability of the Preview application to read PDF files generated elsewhere.

In theory you can do something of the sort with XPS under Windows, but not only did XPS fail to catch on in the world outside Microsoft, but--I can't quite believe this but playing around with my wife's Windows 8 machine it appeared as if they have somehow managed to produce more than one version of XPS with very limited cross-compatibility between old and new versions.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.