best cash back credit card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
selftalk

best cash back credit card

Post by selftalk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 pm

My Pentagon Federal credit card dropped the 1% back on everything to 1/4 % and kept the 5% cash back on gasoline. I had to get a small cd to keep getting the 5% off gas. What is the best ( highest) cash back credit card for all purchases today with no alternating categories?

CincyGuy

Re: best cash back credit card

Post by CincyGuy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:44 pm

The Fidelity American Express card gives you 2% cash back on everything (no alternating categories). You must deposit the money into a Fidelity account to get the 2% cash back, though. A lot of posts on this if you use the search function to learn more. A lot of posters on this board maintain a Fidelity Cash Management account (no minimum balance, I believe), to get the 2% cash back and immediately transfer money to their main checking account.

Check it out at: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... ress-cards

I have had the card for a few months and use it anywhere Amex is taken. Only downside is that the issuing bank's (FIA) website interface is not the best, and there is no Quicken download (except at the end of the month). But, for 2% cash back, it's a small inconvenience.

FNK

Post by FNK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm looking at 1.5% Capital One.

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:13 pm

If you want straight up cash back, the Fidelity AmEx 2% credit card is probably the best one. No annual fee.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:15 pm

For dead simple, single card hard to beat the Fidelity 2% AMEX (or 1.5% Visa that becomes 2% after the first ~$10-15K/year)

modal

Post by modal » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Sallie Mae World MasterCard
American Express Blue Preferred Rewards
Chase Freedom MasterCard (maybe VISA too)

sharke

Post by sharke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:09 pm

I use the US Bank Cash Plus. No annual fee, 1% cash back on everything, plus some 5% and 2% categories that you select each quarter.
I regularly get 2.5-3% back overall, because of my particular spending pattern.
I survived the Great Bond Crash of 2013!

umfundi

Post by umfundi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Costco Amex, particularly if you shop and buy gas at Costco?

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Capital One Quicksilver Cash http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/ ... F515873688
$100 bonus after you spend $500 within 3 mos.
No fee
1.5% on all purchases with no limit
Redeem cash any time, any amount. Get your cash back as an account credit, check, or gift card
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 pm

My go to card is still the Discover Card. I get 1% cash back on everything, quarterly 5% offers (currently on gas), 5% offers when shopping online via ShopDiscover (quite a few retailers), and then 10-20% off when redeeming for gift cards. Service is great, and I really like their website features (i.e. Spend Analyzer). The downside is that it is not accepted everywhere.

I just recently also got the American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card as well. There is a $75 annual fee, but I received $150 bonus after joining and spending over $1K. It gets 6% at grocery stores, 3% on gas, and 1% on everything else. Fortunately, my apartment accepts rent payment via AMEX with no additional charge, so I can easily make up the $75 annual fee with that alone.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Discover and Chase Freedom

amitb00

Post by amitb00 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Priceline visa card gives 2% cash back on everything and redemption is very easy.

Drew31

Post by Drew31 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 pm

[quote=...and there is no Quicken download (except at the end of the month). But, for 2% cash back, it's a small inconvenience.[/quote]

Actually not completely true. The trick is in Quicken when you set up the account you must choose the financial institution as "Bankcard Services". Use the same login in as you use for FIA. Transactions will then update into Quicken as they post on your account.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 pm

amitb00 wrote:Priceline visa card gives 2% cash back on everything and redemption is very easy.
However, Priceline Visa no longer offers a 2% card. They stopped issuing it a few months back. They now only have a 1% card (5% on Priceline purchases)
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 pm

sharke wrote:I use the US Bank Cash Plus. No annual fee, 1% cash back on everything, plus some 5% and 2% categories that you select each quarter.
FYI, you can only apply for this person in a branch (not online or by phone). Unfortunately, despite the name, US Bank has no branches in many parts of the country. I'm not sure if they have any branches east of the Mississippi, for example.

sharke

Post by sharke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 pm

FedGuy wrote:
sharke wrote:I use the US Bank Cash Plus. No annual fee, 1% cash back on everything, plus some 5% and 2% categories that you select each quarter.
FYI, you can only apply for this person in a branch (not online or by phone). Unfortunately, despite the name, US Bank has no branches in many parts of the country. I'm not sure if they have any branches east of the Mississippi, for example.
Interesting, I actually applied for it online. It was about a year ago though.
I survived the Great Bond Crash of 2013!

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 pm

sharke wrote:Interesting, I actually applied for it online. It was about a year ago though.
You used to be allowed to apply online, but no more.

Whenever a really good credit card is introduced, the following things tend to happen:

1. They eventually make it harder for new applicants to apply for the card. US Bank has done this by requiring people to apply in branch.
2. They eventually reduce the benefits of the card. US Bank has done this first by eliminating some popular categories as options for the 5% cash back, and is now in the process of capping the amount of cash back you can earn per quarter.
3. They eventually stop accepting new applications altogether.
4. They ultimately kill the card.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 pm

amitb00 wrote:Priceline visa card gives 2% cash back on everything and redemption is very easy.
Seems to be 1% now plus some Mickey Mouse stuff.

CincyGuy

Post by CincyGuy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:34 am

Drew31 wrote:Actually not completely true. The trick is in Quicken when you set up the account you must choose the financial institution as "Bankcard Services". Use the same login in as you use for FIA. Transactions will then update into Quicken as they post on your account.
Thanks Drew! I just set it up and it appears to work!

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:39 am

Drew31 wrote:Actually not completely true. The trick is in Quicken when you set up the account you must choose the financial institution as "Bankcard Services". Use the same login in as you use for FIA. Transactions will then update into Quicken as they post on your account.
OOOO, will need to try this!

songman52

Post by songman52 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:34 am

This month's issue (October) of Money has a short article on this very topic.

crowd79

Post by crowd79 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

6% Back on Groceries (major, major benefit)
3% Back on Gas
1% Everything Else

Drawback? $75 Annual Fee. But the amount I spend on groceries per year easily swallows the AF.

Jeff

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:35 pm

crowd79 wrote:Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

6% Back on Groceries (major, major benefit)
Depends where you buy your groceries. I buy most of mine at Costco, but Costco is are considered a warehouse and not a supermarket, and excluded from this benefit - you will get the regular 1%. In that case the Fidelity Amex flat 2% cashback is a better deal.
The fine print really matters.
3% Back on Gas
I think again the discount may depend on where you buy your gasoline.
That one benefit hardly matters to me since I drive an EV, though.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 pm

JamesSFO wrote:
I tried it, seems to work. I am wondering how Drew31 found out about it.
It will save me much time in data entry !

boater07

Post by boater07 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:59 pm

check my post today regarding rewards. this adds complexity to cash back cards

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:43 am

CincyGuy wrote:The Fidelity American Express card gives you 2% cash back on everything (no alternating categories). You must deposit the money into a Fidelity account to get the 2% cash back, though. A lot of posts on this if you use the search function to learn more. A lot of posters on this board maintain a Fidelity Cash Management account (no minimum balance, I believe), to get the 2% cash back and immediately transfer money to their main checking account.

Check it out at: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-managemen ... ress-cards

I have had the card for a few months and use it anywhere Amex is taken. Only downside is that the issuing bank's (FIA) website interface is not the best, and there is no Quicken download (except at the end of the month). But, for 2% cash back, it's a small inconvenience.
The Fidelity American Express card looks like a good complement to our PENFED Card.

However, years ago there were places that didn't accept the AMEX Card, and I doubt there is any issues now-a-days, but have you run across anyone who doesn't accept the AMEX card?

Thank you

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:50 am

After receiving a notice from PenFed this weekend that----effective October 26----they were going to start charging me a $25 annual fee for the card-----I called them and cancelled my card.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

WendyW

Post by WendyW » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 am

marc515 wrote:However, years ago there were places that didn't accept the AMEX Card, and I doubt there is any issues now-a-days, but have you run across anyone who doesn't accept the AMEX card?
About 20% of the retailers I shop at don't take Amex, so I I have to revert to Visa.

CincyGuy

Post by CincyGuy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 am

marc515 wrote: The Fidelity American Express card looks like a good complement to our PENFED Card.

However, years ago there were places that didn't accept the AMEX Card, and I doubt there is any issues now-a-days, but have you run across anyone who doesn't accept the AMEX card?

Thank you
Marc,

I would say there are very few issues. I just checked Quicken, 85% of our spend since we got the card was through that card vs. Visa. Some small businesses do not accept Amex, but other than that no problems. It will all come down to where you shop most.

Chris

cflannagan

Post by cflannagan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 am

WendyW wrote:
marc515 wrote:However, years ago there were places that didn't accept the AMEX Card, and I doubt there is any issues now-a-days, but have you run across anyone who doesn't accept the AMEX card?
About 20% of the retailers I shop at don't take Amex, so I I have to revert to Visa.
Examples? (Curious of any of those rejecting Amex are considered "major" nationwide retailers)

umfundi

Post by umfundi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 am

cflannagan wrote:
WendyW wrote:
Examples? (Curious of any of those rejecting Amex are considered "major" nationwide retailers)
A local Subway does not take Amex. Others do.

Last I looked, I think the IRS does not take Amex.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction

WendyW

Post by WendyW » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:30 am

cflannagan wrote:
WendyW wrote:About 20% of the retailers I shop at don't take Amex, so I I have to revert to Visa.
I live in Podunk in the Midwest. The largest grocery store in town doesn't take Amex or Visa; only cash or debit.

The point is you can't expect an Amex card to work everywhere.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:47 am

American Family Insurance only takes Visa/MC.

the.fluffy.bunny

Post by the.fluffy.bunny » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 am

Best is a relative term. Up until recently I used Fidelity Visa that was serviced by FIA Card Services. You can Google them and read the results. I would not suggest anyone use a credit card affiliated with FIA Card Services and that you strongly consider the quality and integrity of the entity that is actually doing the proactive credit monitoring on your card.

It is also difficult to often find out the actual credit card agreement before you fill out an application, but usually you can cal land inquire before signing up. For instance there are several features I want in a card. One is auto rental insurance coverage with no cap (Discover for example has a very low maximum pay out), I also like the automatic theft replacement coverage (read the terms carefully), the extension of manufacturer warranties, roadside services and a concierge service. These are the benefits I use and personally appreciate and they are a factor when I chose a card.

Lastly, though I will no longer would ever buy a new GM Car in the past I did purchase two new vehicles from GM using my GM card rebates. I received 7280 off the first car and 5900 off on the price of the second. This was a number of years ago and I think they may have instituted caps since then or earnings.. Still 5% can add up. Read the terms and the roll off dates carefully. I no longer accumulate GM points as indicated, but I do make a charge or two on the card each year to keep it active. It always has had exceptional account servicing.

Regards…
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:25 am

the.fluffy.bunny wrote:Best is a relative term. Up until recently I used Fidelity Visa that was serviced by FIA Card Services. You can Google them and read the results. I would not suggest anyone use a credit card affiliated with FIA Card Services and that you strongly consider the quality and integrity of the entity that is actually doing the proactive credit monitoring on your card.
Can you explain the specific issue(s) you've had with FIA Card Services? (BTW this is the former MBNA credit card company that was bought by Bank of America and still operated as a standalone unit.)

runner9

Post by runner9 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 am

JamesSFO wrote:
the.fluffy.bunny wrote:Best is a relative term. Up until recently I used Fidelity Visa that was serviced by FIA Card Services. You can Google them and read the results. I would not suggest anyone use a credit card affiliated with FIA Card Services and that you strongly consider the quality and integrity of the entity that is actually doing the proactive credit monitoring on your card.
Can you explain the specific issue(s) you've had with FIA Card Services? (BTW this is the former MBNA credit card company that was bought by Bank of America and still operated as a standalone unit.)
We've had the Fidelity AMEX through FIA and have had no issues. Had one fraud issue that they caught, reversed the charge on and had new cards in our mailbox within 10 days. Have had they decline a few other transactions and call us, all were legit but I understand why and don't think they were unique in declining them: gas at same out of town station 3 days in a row (were there for funeral arrangements and driving home daily) and large gift card purchases ($3K in a day after our basement flooding, using ourselves for washer/dryer/drywall/paint/etc. they ok that but declined the next $200). Each time they called or I called first and they put a note in and we were good to go.

AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:39 pm

JamesSFO wrote:
Same here. Thanks for posting.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I use a combo of two VISA cards:
PenFed Platinum Rewards - 5% Gas, 3% Groceries, 1% all else
US Bank Cash Plus - 5% Restaurants, 5% Hotels, 1% all else (can choose 5% categories each quarter)
Gas, groceries, and restaurants tend to be my biggest expenses and I'm traveling at the moment so the hotels are a nice bonus.

But for a single card it's hard to beat CapitalOne Cash Rewards at 1.5% on everything (and it's a VISA/MC so no AMEX hassles). Is the extra 0.5% on the Fidelity AMEX worth the "we don't accept AMEX here" problem? I'd say no.
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:00 pm

I have the Fidelity AMEX at 2% cash back. no complaints, the money is automatically deposited into my Fidelity Cash Management account.

sesq

Post by sesq » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote: But for a single card it's hard to beat CapitalOne Cash Rewards at 1.5% on everything (and it's a VISA/MC so no AMEX hassles). Is the extra 0.5% on the Fidelity AMEX worth the "we don't accept AMEX here" problem? I'd say no.
Then get the Fidelity Visa, 1.5% on the first 15K, 2% thereafter.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 am

RyeWhiskey wrote
I use a combo of two VISA cards:
PenFed Platinum Rewards - 5% Gas, 3% Groceries, 1% all else
etc
The PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa card has changed the reward redeeming structure, requiring more points in redeeming your reward. An example: previously 5000 points would give you a $50 Visa card. Now it takes 5900 points to get a $50 card. A $25 restaurant gift card required 2500 points. Now it takes 3000 points.

The reward accumulation structure remains the same at 5 points gasoline, 3 points supermarket and 1 point everything else except they no longer say %, but points.Due to the new redeeming structure, the value of the points dropped by about 18%.

LowER

Post by LowER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:14 am

Check out http://www.plasticiq.com. I have no idea if it's a biased calculator (and have no affiliation with the site, or owners), but it has been a great tool to tailor my credit card needs. You just anonymously plug in your average expenditures in numerous potential categories, and it calculates the best cards and the estimated savings by using those top ten or so cards. You even get to pick what type(s) of rewards you want, whether there's a fee involved, etc.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:34 am

I have the Capitol One quicksilver 1.5% on everything and you can redeem anytime with a statement credit. I had the no hassles card for years and years and they never reduced the benefits or made it harder to redeem and they didn't force me to switch to a new scheme when they offered one. So not only is it my best cash back card, it is also the one with the longest history on my credit report.

We have the Chase Freedom for the 5% categories, we got that when they were offering money for new accounts. The thing is, it seems like their categories are getting narrower and narrower - like "Kohl's" is now a category and I don't think they've had "grocery" as a category in a long time. I know when they did that Wal-mart Supercenter counted as grocery.

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 am

For those using the Capital One cards, are you getting high credit limits? I've heard that they are quite stingy with credit lines compared to some other issuers. Are you getting credit lines of $10,000 or more?

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 am

RyeWhiskey wrote:
But for a single card it's hard to beat CapitalOne Cash Rewards at 1.5% on everything (and it's a VISA/MC so no AMEX hassles). Is the extra 0.5% on the Fidelity AMEX worth the "we don't accept AMEX here" problem? I'd say no.
That depends. If you ever go to Costco, you have the opposite problem, where they don't anything BUT AmEx. Also, if you use pay your bills online via CC (which probably adds up to about $400/mo between utilities, internet, gym, and cell phone), you know right away whether they take AmEx and it's the same every month. All that said, you're still only talking about a few extra bucks a month.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 am

prudent wrote:For those using the Capital One cards, are you getting high credit limits? I've heard that they are quite stingy with credit lines compared to some other issuers. Are you getting credit lines of $10,000 or more?
We just opened a Cap One card. The credit limit is $10K.

Brogleski

Post by Brogleski » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 am

prudent wrote:For those using the Capital One cards, are you getting high credit limits? I've heard that they are quite stingy with credit lines compared to some other issuers. Are you getting credit lines of $10,000 or more?
Capital one gave me $10,000 limit for the Cash Rewards card when my next highest limit was $2000. Mid 700s FICO at the time IIRC. I think Capital One is stingy when it comes to raising limits/removing annual fees on their "starter" cards even if your credit has improved dramatically. That shouldn't apply if you're getting the Quicksilver though.
“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George S. Patton

papiper

Post by papiper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 pm

I use the Fidelity Amex for the 2% cash back to my brokerage account. Just checked last 10 months of charging, (I charge almost all expenses) and I had to use a Visa 5 times because amex wasn't accepted. I carry the visa just in case, and it is very seldom needed.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:14 pm

JamesSFO wrote:For dead simple, single card hard to beat the Fidelity 2% AMEX (or 1.5% Visa that becomes 2% after the first ~$10-15K/year)
I have this VISA and am unaware that it kicks up to 2%! WOW! Are you sure?

danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I love my Cap One Quicksilver. It's 1.5% cash back on everything. No categories, no need to open an account anywhere. It's as simple as possible.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.