Am I gonna Live or Die, make up your mind !

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
coachz

Am I gonna Live or Die, make up your mind !

Post by coachz »

http://vanguardblog.com/category/retirement/

Living to 100 is a realistic possibility for millions of Americans. Why you should plan for a long retirement

Click on the link there and it goes to :
https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VG ... pics&po=10

For most of today's retirees and near-retirees, living to 100 is still fairly unlikely

So it's a realistic possibility and fairly unlikely ? [(Removed) --admin LadyGeek] I hate stupid articles.
Rodc

Re: Am I gonna Live or Die, make up your mind !

Post by Rodc »

My house burning down is a realistic enough possibility that I make sure I am insured, even though it is fairly unlikely to happen.

(FWIW: I plan only to my wife being 95. If you are married the chance of one of you reaching 100 is much higher than for only one of you alone. So if planning for a couple it is more important to at least consider the consequences of needing to cover income needs for a good long time.)
Last edited by Rodc on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
BYUvol

Post by BYUvol »

Living to 100 is a realistic possibility for millions of Americans.
For most of today's retirees and near-retirees, living to 100 is still fairly unlikely
If only there was another group, millions strong, who were neither retirees nor near-retirees.

Apparently there are about 4 million babies born each year: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ ... f-20174206

So lets take any age group, not nearing retirement, who possess the ability to read. Perhaps this article was addressed to the millions of twenty-somethings such as myself?
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

According to Ray Kurzweil, there's a very good chance that we are going to live forever (the Singularity is near!!). I don't buy it (too bad, eh?) but even if I did would I be making spending and savings decisions now based on an expectation of an infinitely long retirement? No, because the same radical changes that could extend life (whether by decades or indefinitely) would necessarily radically change peoples' ability to productively work later in life not to mention the basic economic fabric of humanity. Planning in today's economic environment based on today's forecast life expectancies seems like the only sane thing to do. There will always be propaganda arguing that we should be saving more, mainly from those who would financially benefit from getting their hands on said savings, and who well know the psychological appeal of promoting "safety". It's a bit sad when it also comes from client-owned VG, using vague terms like "good chance" and "real possibility" when they could be stating things more clearly as "7% chance (for male 65-year-olds)" etc..
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Assuming you're reading this, coachz, the answer is both. There is no up for a mind to make.
PJW
chaz

Post by chaz »

Possibility v. probability.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Levett

Post by Levett »

I am alive (I think) and I'm gonna die (I know).

Do I wanna live to 100?

Depends (meaning I don't wanna depend on Depends!). :wink:

Lev
chaz

Post by chaz »

Levett wrote:I am alive (I think) and I'm gonna die (I know).

Do I wanna live to 100?

Lev
Sometimes Depends can be useful.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

Better keep your jorb til you're 80, coachz.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

chaz wrote:
Levett wrote:I am alive (I think) and I'm gonna die (I know).

Do I wanna live to 100?

Lev
Sometimes Depends can be useful.
You know, there were two things that greatly helped the quality of life for my mother in her last couple of years (to age 90, she was able to stay in her own apartment until the end).

Depends were one of those things that were quite hard for her to accept, but really took stress out of her life when she finally did. She slept much better without the "gotta be ready to get up and go" thoughts in her mind at night.

The other big difference came from getting a couple of "mini implants" to anchor her lower dentures. For people who end up with full dentures, it's often the case that after 5-10 years, the bone in the lower jaw has receded and there is just nothing to hold the lower denture in place. Eating salad or anything that requires much chewing is very difficult.
Topic Author
coachz

Post by coachz »

especially after paying for wifes two root canals this week
roymeo wrote:Better keep your jorb til you're 80, coachz.