Tried to get credit report - security questions don't match

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ieee488

Re: Tried to get credit report - security questions don't ma

Post by ieee488 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 am

Edit: Equifax was the problem for me recently when I tried to open a Pentagon Federal CU account.

Turns out Equifax did not have my most recent address.
I was told that they are to be informed by the credit card companies about a new address.
Anyway, I was glad to get that fixed.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 am

Ciel wrote:I'm not sure if I should be worried about identity theft or not with this incident.

I went online to request one of my three free annual credit reports - I opted to go through Equifax. I verified all my info, SS #, etc. When I got to the security questions, both questions involved what banks I have taken loans from (mortgage and auto loan) and the monthly payments for these loans as verification of my identity. I have never taken out a mortgage, auto loan, or any other type of loan. I selected "none of the above" for everything, and was denied access to my report.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I assume that calling Equifax is my best option now? If this is an error, I'm hoping it won't be damaging to my credit history. If it's identity theft... yikes. Any thoughts?
You can request a copy of your credit report by mail and you will know right away if your identity is stolen. I think that is unlikely. In the mean time, check your credit score at a place like Credit Karma or a credit card that provides this service for free. If you score is ok, your identity is probably not stolen.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 pm

ieee488 wrote:Edit: Equifax was the problem for me recently when I tried to open a Pentagon Federal CU account.

Turns out Equifax did not have my most recent address.
I was told that they are to be informed by the credit card companies about a new address.
Anyway, I was glad to get that fixed.
My Equifax report actually didn't list the correct address as current. Equifax does have my current address (because all my current creditors use it), but the address it thinks as current was reported on the same day, presumably by an old creditor based on an account I closed three years ago. Since I have only been at my current address four months, I listed my previous address, which is the one Equifax thinks is current.

It is possible that this is Equifax's problem; if you don't report the address where Equifax thinks you live, it won't give you a report. When I had a problem last year, I didn't report my previous address, as the instructions say to do that only if you have lived less than two years at the current address, and I had been there for more than two years.
Wiki David Grabiner

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 pm

In order to create a Social Security online account, you have to answer security questions pulled from one of the credit bureaus. If you answer wrong twice you are locked out until you go to a SS office. Make sure you have a recent report in front of you before trying online.

Samr

Post by Samr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:32 pm

l2ridehd wrote:Here is how I handled this. Had the same issues as everyone else. Finally got the Equifax report. It was clean. I froze the account and refuse to unfreeze for anyone. If I apply for something I tell them the accounts are all frozen and I will unfreeze either Experian or Trans Union for them. If the ask for Equifax I refuse and explain why. If everyone did this, Equifax would lose so much business that they would be forced to change or go out of business. So far everyone has agreed to accept another agency report. And if they don't, I will go elsewhere. That report will never be unfrozen or accessed by anyone ever again. They get paid every time someone requests your credit. So far they have lost money tracking me as they can never provide the report.

How long does a freeze last and is there a cost?

BeingScammed22

Re: Tried to get credit report - security questions don't match

Post by BeingScammed22 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:28 am

Same thing has happened to me three years in a row! It asks me security questions, most of which are None Of The Above. It only asks one legitimate question in which I clearly know the answer to. Then it pops up and tells me the information I provided does not match their records. Well, simply due to clear inaccuracies in "their records" I'm entitled to another free credit report. Yet, I've called a good ten times, spoken with supervisors and they REFUSE to give me my free report. They're very quick to offer me to pay for one though. Equifax is continually breaking FEDERAL LAW, and getting away with it. An attorney should read these posts and file a class action lawsuit on behalf of all of us being scammed.

Lesliekay1

Post by Lesliekay1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:11 am

:( I've been frustrated over a year with Equifax. Same problem. Questions about accounts that I don't have. Denies me access. I faxed over my known errors on that credit report. Learned thru Mint. I also ordered a report via the 800 number. I'm mad that I didn't see this thread earlier since its 3 years old!! I want to process disputes so really wanted online access! Now it will all be manual! Ugh!

There is the free annual credit report site. Then Credit Karma gives Transunion for free. And Mint budget program gives Equifax for free, quarterly.

Anyone know of any other programs offering free credit reports?

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 am

Default User BR wrote: ..........Today I pulled Transunion. No problem, but one of the questions threw me. It asked: Who owns property in the state of XXXX. The list of names included one of my brothers. So, how did that pertain to my credit report? It worked selecting him......
That's kind of scary - sharing one person's credit information with another person. Maybe your brother didn't want you to know he owns property in that state.
Last edited by Herekittykitty on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know anything.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:32 am

Woops double post.
I don't know anything.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:37 am

Herekittykitty wrote:
Default User BR wrote: ..........Today I pulled Transunion. No problem, but one of the questions threw me. It asked: Who owns property in the state of XXXX. The list of names included one of my brothers. So, how did that pertain to my credit report? It worked selecting him......
That's kind of scary - sharing one person's credit information with another person. Maybe your brother didn't want you to know he owns property in that state.
Or maybe brother has one as a joint owner.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 am

bayview wrote:These questions (the lunatic ones, like your address in third grade) are courtesy of the LexisNexis database. Unfortunately, most of our memories aren't as fine-tuned as their db, plus then you add in the errors that have crept onto our publicly accessible records, like credit reports and whatnot.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/risk/solution ... ation.aspx
Yeah. I wonder how people who move around a lot deal with it. I periodically get asked to chose a street address for a past residence and it always seems to be for my first apt after I graduated from college (which I only lived in for a year over 30 years ago). Fortunately the street name was very distinctive - I would be in trouble if they asked my for that phone number.

Eurookat

Post by Eurookat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:41 pm

Same. damn. thing. with Equifax.

It asked me which mortgage company I have an account with. The interesting part is the mortgage is under my wife's name (my name on deed), but it listed our existing mortgage company (was not our original) and the date when we bought the house. So, I selected "None of the above." Nope, wrong answer.

I tried it the next day and that question didn't come up. Viola, got my report.

Dyoung20

Re:- security questions don't match

Post by Dyoung20 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I tried to get a replacement social security card, and it asked me questions and none of them were correct. Everything was none of the above and still got it wrong.
I don't know what's going on. But good to know it's not only me.šŸ¤”šŸ¤”