Brokerage account empty, not closed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
NAD83

Brokerage account empty, not closed

Post by NAD83 »

I decided to switch brokerages over a year ago, from Waddell & Reed to Vanguard. I first stopped automatic withdrawals. Then I made the transfer of funds. I did all of this through either Vanguard or Waddell customer service, not my advisor.

When I last spoke to the Waddell rep to actually close the account, he said he couldn't close it immediately. It wasn't clear exactly why, but my account was $0 and I made sure there were no inactivity charges or any charges that would be incurred.

There was a small amount of dividends that had accrued after the transfer ($17) which I believe was mailed to me in check form. Otherwise the account has been inactive for over a year. I wasn't charged any closing costs or anything. I check it ocassionally online and nothing. I don't receive statements, as the balance is zero.

Anyway, I've always been suspect of this move. Is it because they hope I may decide to put some money back in the account? Am I missing something? I've never called back to try and completely close it again. I don't want to lose the approximately $200 for closing two accounts (although, how would they get that? Bill me?)
PacNorWest

Re: Brokerage account empty, not closed

Post by PacNorWest »

In a similar vein, we had a trust account with Vanguard through which passed our inheritance funds.
We zero'd out the balance and, like your situation, the fund sat empty. About five years passed before Vanguard quietly removed the account from my account list.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I have three accounts at Wells Fargo with zero balances. One is TIRA I used for some rollover stuff that hasn't had anything in it since March 2010. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brian
Watty

Post by Watty »

It wasn't clear exactly why
By leaving it where it can still be accessed you can still sign on and get any old statements or tax forms that you might need.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I have a zero balance account laying around at Vanguard. I forget why they told me they do that when I phoned in. I ignore it.

I have closed accounts elsewhere (Schwab, maybe?) and they took them off the website immediately, after which I learned to dump the statements before doing that.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I have one a Wells Fargo, but they call it an "inactive" account.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Watty wrote:
By leaving it where it can still be accessed you can still sign on and get any old statements or tax forms that you might need.
I think this is the key. There must be federal regulations about maintaining the data and access to it for some time (7 years?). Keeping an account alive may be the simplest way to do that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Default User BR

Watty wrote:
That's a good point. An annoyance when I closed at TD Ameritrade was that the online login no longer worked. If I end up needing anything, I'll either have to get them to send me stuff or re-enable the account access.

Brian
Topic Author
NAD83

Post by NAD83 »

But don't they want their $95 per account (or whatever it is) for closing them? Maybe had I gone through my broker he would have made that withdrawal. There is no way they can get that now, right?

They bent me over in many other respects, so I guess I just don't trust them, which is why I'm uneasy. But I'm not going to worry about it.
SHB

Post by SHB »

Well they probably would have a hard time forcing the close of an account AND charge a $95 closing fee. At the end of the day the real cost of keeping these types of account open is minimal and keeping them open atleast raises the chance and ease for you to return in their eyes.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Default User BR

NAD83 wrote:But don't they want their $95 per account (or whatever it is) for closing them?
Are you sure they didn't already? Wells Fargo takes it when the balance drops below the closing fee.

Brian