Bitcoins as investment

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
VictoriaF

Re: Bitcoins as investment

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:01 am

The problem with bitcoins is that you can't pick them up on a sidewalk.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 am

Alex Frakt wrote:I'm often asked to explain bitcoins so I've been trying to come up with the best metaphor. To me the keys are that it's not legal tender (so it's not currency), has a finite supply (so it's not beanie babies), and no material value (not gold or precious metals). So far I've come up with collectible pre-19xx stamps or the sunken Yap stone coin http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/02/ ... tone-money .
More relevant than not legal tender is that bitcoins are not anyone's debt. A dollar is a debt of the Fed (or the U.S. government, if you prefer). A bitcoin is the debt of nobody, and therefore has a fundamental value of zero. It can only exist as a bubble, because if it wasn't in a bubble, it wouldn't have any value; and if it didn't have any value, it couldn't be used as money. The closest parallel is probably orphaned currency - currency which is used even though the bank that produced it no longer exists (possibly based on rational speculation that it will be adopted in the future).
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:43 pm

The value of a Bitcoin has nearly tripled since I started this thread.

http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/period ... rket=btc-e
Make that quadrupled.

jda

Post by jda » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:03 pm

boglerocks wrote:

Make that quadrupled.
So have you made any purchase since your first post?

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm

The fact that Bitcoins are crucial to a variety of criminal schemes , in particular online extortion such as Cryptolocker, should give anyone pause.

LH

Post by LH » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Bit coins are a form of money.

Medium of exchange
Store of value
Unit of account

Now, further consider this

1) Weimar Deutschmarks, Zimbabwe currency, us confederate currency, etc etc, remember 90 to 99 percent plus of all fiat currencies go to zero.

2) I am not saying it is "good" money, The most popular money, the most stable money, or that it has the staying power of gold, in use in lydia circa 700bc, and in iran turkey trade, and various transactions today, or even the staying power of the pure fiat since circa 1971 dollar will end up having. I am only saying it is a type of money, in competition with other types of money.

That is bit coin use. It's value depends, on how many people find a use for it, like all money.

Personally, not being very technical, I have a hard time believing some government, or even a criminal element that would massively short it somehow, would not be able to take it out.

I have trouble seeing its staying power as a legal and technical matter.

Ian interested it in, did get a wallet, but the whole thing was dicey and too much time to figure out how to put bit coins in the wallet, I think the main website, biggest, had issues when I was screwing around with it.

Heh, maybe there is an illiquidity premium to be had on a short term basis?

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:04 pm

VictoriaF wrote:The problem with bitcoins is that you can't pick them up on a sidewalk.

Victoria
Where can you pick them up?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm

LH wrote:Bit coins are a form of money.

Medium of exchange
Store of value
Unit of account

Now, further consider this

1) Weimar Deutschmarks, Zimbabwe currency, us confederate currency, etc etc, remember 90 to 99 percent plus of all fiat currencies go to zero.

2) I am not saying it is "good" money, The most popular money, the most stable money, or that it has the staying power of gold, in use in lydia circa 700bc, and in iran turkey trade, and various transactions today, or even the staying power of the pure fiat since circa 1971 dollar will end up having. I am only saying it is a type of money, in competition with other types of money.

That is bit coin use. It's value depends, on how many people find a use for it, like all money.

Personally, not being very technical, I have a hard time believing some government, or even a criminal element that would massively short it somehow, would not be able to take it out.

I have trouble seeing its staying power as a legal and technical matter.

Ian interested it in, did get a wallet, but the whole thing was dicey and too much time to figure out how to put bit coins in the wallet, I think the main website, biggest, had issues when I was screwing around with it.

Heh, maybe there is an illiquidity premium to be had on a short term basis?
Are they minted? What government issued them?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:28 pm

So have you made any purchase since your first post?
Yep.
The fact that Bitcoins are crucial to a variety of criminal schemes ... should give anyone pause.
Just like USD.
Where can you pick them up?
coinbase.com
What government issued them?
No government. A large part of their appeal is due to their decentralization.

georgewall42

Post by georgewall42 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Of course, there is nothing to prevent bitcoin "lookalikes" from coming online and being accepted. In fact, some do exist already. And, while a skyrocketing currency is fun for those that own some, such a currency is hardly likely to become a medium for debt; noone wants to issue debt that's denominated in rapidly appreciating currency.

It's hard to create more gold, and at least government money can be used to pay taxes, raise armies, and do other essential items that governments do. And governments generally don't outlaw their own money. Finally, both gold and fiat money have one thing in common: they both have a physical form that can be used to pay the ferry man in the event the Zombie apocolypse causes all the bitcoin servers to shut down for good. :D

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 pm

georgewall42 wrote:Of course, there is nothing to prevent bitcoin "lookalikes" from coming online and being accepted.
Wikipedia about gold coins wrote:An old practice to test whether a gold coin was counterfeit was to bite down on it.
Can a bitcoin be tested by biting?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

lostInFinance

Post by lostInFinance » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

LH wrote:Bit coins are a form of money.

Medium of exchange
Store of value
Unit of account

As a medium of exchange, it's main value is being able to make financial transactions semi-anonymous for criminal elements. The more popular it becomes for that purpose, the more I expect it will be on the government's radar screen as something to eventually outlaw.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
georgewall42 wrote:Of course, there is nothing to prevent bitcoin "lookalikes" from coming online and being accepted.
Wikipedia about gold coins wrote:An old practice to test whether a gold coin was counterfeit was to bite down on it.

Victoria
I think it is just binary code.

arkerr123

Post by arkerr123 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 am

Short story - Dont mine bitcoins.

Long Story - Since everything is distributed in the bitcoin world - IE: no bank system. User's computers can do calculations in exchange for bitcoins. Basically every time a transaction is completed (anywhere), more number crunching is necessary.

I have a nice computer - it is for gaming. However, over three days it only earned about 4.5 cents.

So, dont waste your time on mining for bitcoins. I spent more in electricity than I earned.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 am

arkerr123 wrote:Short story - Dont mine bitcoins.

Long Story - Since everything is distributed in the bitcoin world - IE: no bank system. User's computers can do calculations in exchange for bitcoins. Basically every time a transaction is completed (anywhere), more number crunching is necessary.

I have a nice computer - it is for gaming. However, over three days it only earned about 4.5 cents.

So, dont waste your time on mining for bitcoins. I spent more in electricity than I earned.
Your logic is faulty. Bitcoins are going to appreciate and your 4.5 cents will balloon into $5000 as soon as the IPO goes public via crowdsourcing to raise funds. And because the IPO will be crowdsourced in Bitcoins, well...you can see the obvious upside potential.

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

georgewall42 wrote:Of course, there is nothing to prevent bitcoin "lookalikes" from coming online and being accepted. In fact, some do exist already. And, while a skyrocketing currency is fun for those that own some, such a currency is hardly likely to become a medium for debt; noone wants to issue debt that's denominated in rapidly appreciating currency.
Wait, what? I thought *everyone* would want to issue debt that's denominated in a rapidly appreciating currency? Because not only do you get the nominal gains in interest, but then you get the added appreciation of being paid back in currency that is more valuable than the currency you lent out.

georgewall42

Post by georgewall42 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:37 am

ensign_lee wrote:
georgewall42 wrote:Of course, there is nothing to prevent bitcoin "lookalikes" from coming online and being accepted. In fact, some do exist already. And, while a skyrocketing currency is fun for those that own some, such a currency is hardly likely to become a medium for debt; noone wants to issue debt that's denominated in rapidly appreciating currency.
Wait, what? I thought *everyone* would want to issue debt that's denominated in a rapidly appreciating currency? Because not only do you get the nominal gains in interest, but then you get the added appreciation of being paid back in currency that is more valuable than the currency you lent out.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear when I said "issue debt". Yes, the lender would definitely want to lend out such funds, but they are the ones buying debt, not issuing debt.

However, noone in their right mind would want to take on a bitcoin denominated debt; why would a debtor ever want to pay back the lender in a currency that is rapidly appreciating? Lots of folks that champion monetary deflation as a strategy forget this key point.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 am

chaz wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Can a bitcoin be tested by biting?
So you byte it?

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:23 pm

placeholder wrote:
chaz wrote:
So you byte it?
You might get a virus.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 pm

chaz wrote:
placeholder wrote:
chaz wrote:
So you byte it?
You might get a virus.
I am surprised they aren't called bitc01ns.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Another article in the Wall Street Journal. Bitcoins just keep getting more controversial it seems.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:21 pm

lostInFinance wrote:As a medium of exchange, it's main value is being able to make financial transactions semi-anonymous for criminal elements. The more popular it becomes for that purpose, the more I expect it will be on the government's radar screen as something to eventually outlaw.
The victims of Cryptolocker - malware that encrypts your hard drive and demands a ransom in bitcoins for the encryption key - may be demanding this happens sooner rather than later.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 am

Make that quadrupled.
Quintupled.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Make that quadrupled.
Quintupled.
Septupled. (Sorry I missed the sextupling.)

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Two of my friends have taken out $20k consumer loans at 8-9% to invest in bitcoins. If anything is a sign that bitcoins are in a bubble, I think this is.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Ketawa wrote:Two of my friends have taken out $20k consumer loans at 8-9% to invest in bitcoins. If anything is a sign that bitcoins are in a bubble, I think this is.
Bitcoins will become viable when people start taking consumer loans in bitcoins to invest in TSM.

Victoria

Houston101

Post by Houston101 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Victoria
I haven't been able to bit VTI but I believe it has value. :happy

Houston101

Post by Houston101 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:44 pm

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1356897382
Investors should think of bitcoins as a long-term speculation rather than a short-term trade or a long-term investment, says Mr. Pal. If you decide to take the risk, you shouldn't base your buying and selling on the gyrations of the market or invest more than the tiniest fraction of a portfolio that can be completely lost.

As bitcoin mania unfolds, the currency might turn out to be merely a speculative bubble that bursts as investors lose interest, akin to tulips in the 1600s. But by risking very little, at the very least, an investor might be part of a story that's still told nearly 400 years later.
:beer

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm

But by risking very little, at the very least, an investor might be part of a story that's still told nearly 400 years later.
Any engineer will tell you that the easiest route to immortality is spectacular error. :sharebeer

adrift

Post by adrift » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 am

arkerr123 wrote:Short story - Dont mine bitcoins.

You're bringing a knife to a gunfight.

And, it may not even be a fair gunfight.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:25 am

Make that quadrupled.
Quintupled.
Octupled and nontupled.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:40 am

boglerocks wrote:(Sorry I missed the sextupling.)
That would be abstentupled.

Victoria

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:25 am

It can't get beyond "centupled" because the -uple words run out. They will need to add to the lexicoin.
boglerocks wrote:...(Sorry I missed the sextupling....)
It was something to see.

The math that's behind them's exotic,
But bitcoins are hardly robotic;
They couple and couple
Until they sextuple--
Fluctuating in patterns erotic.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 am

Nisi, I really like your poetry.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 am

chaz wrote:Nisi, I really like your poetry.
+1
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 am

abuss368 wrote:
+1
Even if bitcoins fail
Nisi's poetry'll prevail.

Victoria

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:56 am

VictoriaF wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
+1
Even if bitcoins fail
Nisi's poetry'll prevail.

Victoria
Another good poet is discovered.

ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 pm

How long before some clever engineer finds a "quick" bitcoin algorithm and starts mining them from her Android phone? There's also the possibility that someone invents a computer processor architecture which can find bitcoins much faster than existing hardware. That will mean that all 21 million possible bitcoins get found very rapidly, effectively, increasing the bitcoin supply in a short period of time, just like a government issuing new money.

Then, there's the ownership problem. To "own" a bitcoin, you must know a cryptographic key, a 100 digit password. Suppose I break into your computer or wherever you keep your keys and steal them and then claim to own your bitcoins. As long as you've got the keys, the bitcoin system considers you as the owner of the coins. Now, if someone steals your bank password and takes all of the money out of your account, your liability is limited if you can show that the transfer was unauthorized. No one knows whether bit coins are covered by the same banking regulations.

Last but not least, there's cloning problem. Ownership of a bitcoin is tracked in a ledger called a block chain, which is stored in distributed form across a network. What if I simply start a new block chain for ourbrookscoins? The bitcoin software won't mistake my chain for the bitcoin chain; there are mechanisms that prevent that. What could be the case, though, is that I distribute new software which uses the ourbrookscoin chain. It will be up to people to decide which chain they want to use. If everyone starts switching to my chain, ourbrookscoins will rise and value and bitcoins will decline in value.

jda

Post by jda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm

boglerocks wrote:

Make that quadrupled.
Quintupled.
Octupled and nontupled.
Nice, so what's the exit strategy?

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm

ourbrooks wrote:How long before some clever engineer finds a "quick" bitcoin algorithm and starts mining them from her Android phone? There's also the possibility that someone invents a computer processor architecture which can find bitcoins much faster than existing hardware. That will mean that all 21 million possible bitcoins get found very rapidly, effectively, increasing the bitcoin supply in a short period of time, just like a government issuing new money.
It doesn't work like that. A new block of bitcoins is made every 10 minutes regardless of how many miners there are. It becomes more difficult to solve the problem if more miners are working on it. The mining ASICs can mine bitcoins much faster than any home PC, but once there's a substantial number of the ASICs, they won't be profitable either.

Oilburner

Post by Oilburner » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:07 pm

My 26 year old son called me a couple nights ago and asked if I was going to invest money in Bitcoin. And then suggested I do if I had not planned to. I said, "Bit what?" Well, I was not quite that uninformed about Bitcoin, but have heard the name and read a few paragraph article on it. He actually explained it well to me and then I imparted some of the Bogleheads wisdom on him and said I'd pass due to the speculative nature.

My son said he put $500 an one of the alternates to Bitcoin that recently popped up. It's at $1500 he said. I suggested he take the profit, all of it. But who knows, he may get lucky.
Last edited by Oilburner on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Nice, so what's the exit strategy?
Actually, I may hang onto them and use them to buy stuff in the future like with any other currency.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

After reading these responses, I still can not believe the articles I read in the Wall Street Journal and that folks "invest" in these structures.

boglerocks

Post by boglerocks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:13 pm

After reading these responses, I still can not believe the articles I read in the Wall Street Journal and that folks "invest" in these structures.
I think most here probably fall into the "Late Majority / Conservative" or "Laggard / Skeptic" categories outlined here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348699.0

JasonMc

Post by JasonMc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:14 pm

ourbrooks wrote:How long before some clever engineer finds a "quick" bitcoin algorithm and starts mining them from her Android phone? There's also the possibility that someone invents a computer processor architecture which can find bitcoins much faster than existing hardware. That will mean that all 21 million possible bitcoins get found very rapidly, effectively, increasing the bitcoin supply in a short period of time, just like a government issuing new money.
You could try mining them with your android phone. There are apps out there for it, but you wouldn't get very far. There's just not enough computing power.

Also, there are already devices, ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit), that were designed specifically to mine bitcoins. These devices are doing most of the bitcoin mining these days. Regular general-purpose computers just can't keep up as the complexity required has increased. Regardless of the power of the mining machines, the estimate is that the last bitcoins won't be mined until the year 2140.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:23 pm

boglerocks wrote:
I think most here probably fall into the "Late Majority / Conservative" or "Laggard / Skeptic" categories outlined here:

The title of the thread you linked is "Bitcoin's future is clear to those who study technology's history". If the future is so clear, why would anyone sell them at their current price?

The high returns to date are either due to changing perceptions of their risk or rank speculation. If expected risks did not turn into actual issues, the current risk premium might be lower, justifying their current price. If you're still expecting high returns, then presumably you must think there are some huge risks out there.

If the high returns are due to speculation, good luck timing the market!

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:30 pm

JasonMc wrote:
You could try mining them with your android phone. There are apps out there for it, but you wouldn't get very far. There's just not enough computing power.

Also, there are already devices, ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit), that were designed specifically to mine bitcoins. These devices are doing most of the bitcoin mining these days. Regular general-purpose computers just can't keep up as the complexity required has increased. Regardless of the power of the mining machines, the estimate is that the last bitcoins won't be mined until the year 2140.
Where is the mine?

rob

Post by rob » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:44 pm

I saw recently that Virgin Galactic has said they would accept bitcoin as payment for trips.... so there might be some real world use :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 pm

boglerocks wrote:

Oh, good, "late majority" doesn't mean "geezerhood."

The problem with these categories... and with the article... is that they apply to technologies known to be successful in hindsight. There is no certainty that just because a technology is new and has early adopters, it will succeed.

And to me, anyway, when people advocate X on the basis that it's the wave of the future, I tune out. If you want me to buy a Mac in March of 1984--or an IBM PCjr in November of 1983--don't explain to me why it's the wave of the future, explain to me what I can do with it and what use it is.

I was an early eBook adopter when I bought a NuvoMedia Rocket eBook device in late 1999--over the counter at a Barnes & Noble bookstore--but I did not buy it in order to be an early adopter, or get in on the wave of the future, I bought it so that I could take eight books with me in my carry-on luggage.

Don't forget, they all laughed at quadrophonic sound. They all laughed at bubble memory. They all laughed at New Economy companies that measured success in sticky eyeballs rather than earnings. They all laughed at the Yugo. They all laughed at cold fusion. They all laughed at the Tucker. They all laughed at zeppelins. They all laughed at Buckminster Fuller's plan to deliver prefab houses via zeppelin. They all laughed at ovonics. They all laughed at computers based on magnetic amplifiers. They all laughed at IBM for introducing a 4" diskette drive just after Sony introduced their 3-1/2" drive. They all laughed at Microsoft Bob. They all laughed at Wang Laboratories for thinking it could compete with IBM. They all laughed at RCA for thinking it could compete with IBM. They all laughed at Burroughs for thinking it could compete with IBM. They all laughed at Brook Farm. They all laughed at orgone energy. They all laughed at Cinerama. They all laughed at Highway Hi-Fi. They all laughed at plasma loudspeakers. They all laughed at Bitpass and Millicent. They all laughed at the :CueCat.

But the early adopters had the last... ummm... uh....
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:54 pm

"Hackers are targeting Bitcoin exchanges. That's because the online currency is skyrocketing in value."

This was posted by Kim Komando.