Credit Card questions... How are my credit cards?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
exzacklyright

Credit Card questions... How are my credit cards?

Post by exzacklyright »

I have a Citi Forward card (Used for entertainment, Amazon, Restaurant purchases).
Planning to get a VentureOne card. (For travel,hotels, no foreign fees).
The problem now lies in the grocery store/gas area. I know there's the BlueCash Everyday... but I can't use that at costco.
Would it just be better to use my citi forward at a grocery store rather than go to costco and use a debit card?
momar

Re: Credit Card questions... How are my credit cards?

Post by momar »

Why cant you use Blue Cash at Costco? I just did yesterday.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

exzacklyright,

Momar is correct, but perhaps this is the source of the confusion.

I can't use my AMEX Blue Cash at Costco, but that's only because I'm a non-member who comes in with a member maybe once a year. They make people like me used debit cards only. However, members can use AMEX - I've seen it happen.

EDIT: Actually, I'd bet exzacklyright means s/he can't earn the extra cashback at Costco with Blue Cash because it doesn't count as a standalone grocery and will only earn 1% cashback.
Topic Author
exzacklyright

Post by exzacklyright »

Ice-9 wrote:exzacklyright,

Momar is correct, but perhaps this is the source of the confusion.

I can't use my AMEX Blue Cash at Costco, but that's only because I'm a non-member who comes in with a member maybe once a year. They make people like me used debit cards only. However, members can use AMEX - I've seen it happen.

EDIT: Actually, I'd bet exzacklyright means s/he can't earn the extra cashback at Costco with Blue Cash because it doesn't count as a standalone grocery and will only earn 1% cashback.
Oh yeah my bad.

Would it be better to just get the BlueCash and shop at costco for 1% cash back? Or shop at a grocery store 3%?
PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse »

AmEx Blue Preferred trumps all @ 6% back for groceries, even after the 75$ yearly fee.
Topic Author
exzacklyright

Post by exzacklyright »

PaleHorse wrote:AmEx Blue Preferred trumps all @ 6% back for groceries, even after the 75$ yearly fee.
I'm single.. did the math.. and I don't spend enough for it to be worth it unfortunately.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Costco Amex works at Costco of course (1% back) and has 3% back on gas including Costco gas, 2% back on restaurants and travel, 1% everything else.
Pair that with the Cap1Venture Visa which is effectively 2% back on everything as long as you redeem your points for travel charges (new or past charges). Costco Amex also acts as your Costco membership card so you can take your Costco membership card out of your wallet.

The Cap1 Venture sounds complicated but it's really simple - takes about one minute to redeem your 2% back points for near-instant statement credits for past travel charges (airfare, car rentals, hotels. The only way to do better at Costco is to use the Fidelity Amex which is 2% back on all purchases, including Costco.

The no-brainer 2% back on everything combo for a Costco shopper who also travels internationally would be the Cap1 Venture Visa and Fidelity Amex.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

exzacklyright wrote:
PaleHorse wrote:AmEx Blue Preferred trumps all @ 6% back for groceries, even after the 75$ yearly fee.
I'm single.. did the math.. and I don't spend enough for it to be worth it unfortunately.

Remember, you can also buy gift cards from other vendors at grocery stores and that's 6% back off the top, including credit gift cards you can spend at Costco :happy
Topic Author
exzacklyright

Post by exzacklyright »

MnD wrote:Costco Amex works at Costco of course (1% back) and has 3% back on gas including Costco gas, 2% back on restaurants and travel, 1% everything else.
Pair that with the Cap1Venture Visa which is effectively 2% back on everything as long as you redeem your points for travel charges (new or past charges). Costco Amex also acts as your Costco membership card so you can take your Costco membership card out of your wallet.

The Cap1 Venture sounds complicated but it's really simple - takes about one minute to redeem your 2% back points for near-instant statement credits for past travel charges (airfare, car rentals, hotels. The only way to do better at Costco is to use the Fidelity Amex which is 2% back on all purchases, including Costco.

The no-brainer 2% back on everything combo for a Costco shopper who also travels internationally would be the Cap1 Venture Visa and Fidelity Amex.
I already get 5 points per dollar at restaurants on my citi forward card. I'm basically going for the 3 credit card route with no annual fees since I don't spend much. The AMEX BlueCash would cover grocery stores / dept stores / gas. Citi Forward would cover restaurants, amazon, movies and the capital one venture would cover travel / foreign expenses.
Topic Author
exzacklyright

Post by exzacklyright »

exzacklyright wrote:
MnD wrote:Costco Amex works at Costco of course (1% back) and has 3% back on gas including Costco gas, 2% back on restaurants and travel, 1% everything else.

I already get 5 points per dollar at restaurants on my citi forward card. I'm basically going for the 3 credit card route with no annual fees since I don't spend much. The AMEX BlueCash would cover grocery stores / dept stores / gas. Citi Forward would cover restaurants, amazon, movies and the capital one venture would cover travel / foreign expenses.
lwfitzge wrote:
exzacklyright wrote:

Remember, you can also buy gift cards from other vendors at grocery stores and that's 6% back off the top, including credit gift cards you can spend at Costco :happy
Yeah if I really was into saving every last bit I'd do that... I just am probably too lazy to go to a grocery store to buy a credit gift card.. only to drive to costco to use some of it.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

For a while I juggled multiple credit cards trying to squeeze every cent of cash back possible from targeted categories, and found out that the total/net cash back seldom went over 2% - in fact, it almost always came below 2% - since most dollars charged tend to fall outside the high cash back percentage categories of all those credit cards combined. Plus it was a hassle to keep up with the complexity of managing that many cards and pulling out the right one for the right transaction every time.

So, I now use only the 2% flat rate cash back Fidelity Amex for everything.
Rewards get auto-redeemed too, i.e. no "redemption" action item for me either.

I'm loving this setup. Enjoying the majesty of simplicity!
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
icefr

Post by icefr »

exzacklyright wrote:
I'm also single and will probably apply for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday later this year. It's 3% on groceries, 2% on gas stations and department stores. Combine that with the 2% Fidelity Amex and my Chase Amazon.com Visa as a backup for when a place doesn't take Amex and I think that'll be a good system.

Or I'll apply for the Preferred for the extra sign-up bonus ($150 versus $100) and then switch to the Everyday after the first year. I'd then buy Amazon.com gift cards at my local grocery store to increase the cashback power too.