where to find home values

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
pablolo

where to find home values

Post by pablolo »

I went to zillow.com to see what they put for a market value on my home,but it seemed undervalued. Are there any other websites that offer home values? thank you
livesoft

Re: where to find home values

Post by livesoft »

Everything that hasn't been sold is subjective. I suggest you go to google (as in google.com) and type in something like "home values zipcode" where zipcode is your 5-digit ZIP code.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MooreBonds

Post by MooreBonds »

Many real estate assesors offices have their databases on-line and searchable. Try your county's website. If you know a nearby house that sold that is somewhat comparable to yours, it should list the sales price. That's about the only real method I would feel for getting a true estimate of what my home is worth.
sport

Post by sport »

If you are interested in selling your home, interview some real estate agents and ask them to provide values on comparable homes that have sold in your area. If you are not going to sell, but just want an estimate for your own use, I would use the county tax assessor value.
Jeff
soaring

Post by soaring »

Three Counties in two different States I've lived have web sites that provide search features for sold properties. They all had features so I could find by commuity name or radius of given address. Start with the property appraisers web site.
Desiderata
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

Try this site: https://www.chase.com/home-equity/home-value-estimator

It's so easy to use, and for my house the value is in line with the true market value.

Zillow seems to be about 10% lower in my neighborhood.
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

Zillow misses a lot of stuff - it didn't see "page 2" of my county assessors website - which in my case displays a second structure on the property with power, water & septic. That makes a BIG difference in price. Zillow also failed to see other known nearby property for sale.
Best method is to get three different realtors provide comps for your property.
momar

Post by momar »

Allan12 wrote:Try this site: https://www.chase.com/home-equity/home-value-estimator

It's so easy to use, and for my house the value is in line with the true market value.

Zillow seems to be about 10% lower in my neighborhood.
This site returns a similar value as Zillow for me, which I know is low because an almost identical house a couple blocks away sold a few months ago. And the market is even tighter now.

OP: your best bet is to use Zillow to look at recent sales of similar properties.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Trulia.com is another source. It's similar to zillow. Not really any more accurate, I'd say, but offers different data and conclusions. But it will provide a second source. I wouldn't call either zillow or trulia accurate or reliable, but they are interesting to look at. Sometimes. None of the three provided a value estimate for my house.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

I'm not sure which real estate website to believe. Chase came in the lowest. Zillow was +$45k higher and Trulia was + $90K from Chase.

SCB
Don46

Post by Don46 »

We bought in 2006 and did a lot of home improvements adding some inside space, a pool, garage, about 300k worth. I noticed Zillow had our estimate about where it was when we bought it and about 200k below where it was appraised. Then, three or more years later, I went to refinance early this year and was very surprised to learn that the appraisal was about where Zillow had it. We had a second appraisal, and it was similar. I spoke to our realtor and he was very surprised. He thought it would sell much higher. But if the appraisal is low, the buyer may not be able to finance the purchase. We sure enjoy our garage and pool, and the extra space, but I'll probably never get it back in the sale. Glad my other investments have gone well. :D
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

Don46 wrote:We bought in 2006 and did a lot of home improvements adding some inside space, a pool, garage, about 300k worth. I noticed Zillow had our estimate about where it was when we bought it and about 200k below where it was appraised. Then, three or more years later, I went to refinance early this year and was very surprised to learn that the appraisal was about where Zillow had it. We had a second appraisal, and it was similar. I spoke to our realtor and he was very surprised. He thought it would sell much higher. But if the appraisal is low, the buyer may not be able to finance the purchase. We sure enjoy our garage and pool, and the extra space, but I'll probably never get it back in the sale. Glad my other investments have gone well. :D
The additional square footage and the garage should have helped your value. The pool probably not. About half the buyers want them and half don't so they don't really increase value.

-SCB