Is Quicken Worth it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Is Quicken Worth it?

Post by abuss368 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:32 am

Stormbringer wrote:
obafgkm wrote:What am I missing? Is this a new policy on the part of Quicken? If I purchased Quicken 2017 for Mac would I be forced to buy a new copy in three years?

You don't have to upgrade, but certain online features will no longer work after three years:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

This was understanding as well. For folks where this is important they have to upgrade.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:37 am

Stormbringer wrote:
obafgkm wrote:What am I missing? Is this a new policy on the part of Quicken? If I purchased Quicken 2017 for Mac would I be forced to buy a new copy in three years?

You don't have to upgrade, but certain online features will no longer work after three years:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

From the link:
Assisted support and product updates for Quicken for Mac 2007 and 2007 for Lion will be discontinued when Quicken for Mac 2017 is released in October, 2016. The Mac 2007 product and connected services will continue to function, until your banks choose to discontinue online support.

Thanks. It appears that Quicken 2007 for Macintosh will work "forever" until Apple or my financial institution changes something, not something the Quicken company does. I guess since I'm happy with Quicken 2007, I'll keep it and not buy the new version of Quicken for Mac until I absolutely have to.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:48 am

I love Quicken. I update every 3 years.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

stecal

Post by stecal » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:48 am

I use Quicken Deluxe. Moved over from MS Money when they stopped making it.

Usually upgrade about every 2-3 years when they have a 40% off sale.

I rely on Quicken to remind me about bills. My financial life would crumble without it

ABS

Post by ABS » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:01 pm

I decided get Quicken Deluxe 2017. Bought it from Best Buy for about $45. I am finding it to be very intuitive and well designed. No hiccups yet. My major concern was security with having to share passwords with Quicken. This concern has dissipated. When downloading transactions from financial institutions one can choose to enter passwords manually.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:49 pm

How does the Admiral share conversion work? Any rounding issues like prior versions?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:24 pm

At the risk of getting technical and/or hijacking the thread, does anyone run Quicken for PC on a Mac via Crossovers? If so, have you had a good experience? I'm currently trying to use Banktivity but am not in love with the program - seems to have more manual work than I'd like.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:17 pm

abuss368 wrote:How does the Admiral share conversion work? Any rounding issues like prior versions?

I anticipate doing this in one of my accounts so already looked into it. I have NOT done this yet so don't really know how accurate or complete Vanguard's instruction are, but they can be found here: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/F ... ontent.jsp. Scroll down almost to the bottom.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:06 pm

bertilak wrote:
abuss368 wrote:How does the Admiral share conversion work? Any rounding issues like prior versions?

I anticipate doing this in one of my accounts so already looked into it. I have NOT done this yet so don't really know how accurate or complete Vanguard's instruction are, but they can be found here: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/F ... ontent.jsp. Scroll down almost to the bottom.

Thanks!