Anyone familiar with COBRA extension via HCTC ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
blacklab

Anyone familiar with COBRA extension via HCTC ?

Post by blacklab » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Our situation is that while I am retired and recently Medicare eligible, my spouse is younger and continues to be insured under COBRA from my last employer. That 18 month coverage will expire in July 2013 so we were starting to look for individual coverage for the time between August and when ACA becomes effective.

As further background, I receive a pension from a different prior employer that is now taken over by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation . Thanks to information I received from folks on this site, I became aware that PBGC payees are eligible for a Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) which we were able to use when filing 2012 taxes. But in looking through the HCTC information I was surprised ( pleasantly) to see that HCTC taxpayers were also eligible to have COBRA coverage extend until Jan. 1 2014 and told they should notify previous employer that provides COBRA coverage. This I have done and so far silence on their end ( been about a month).

I will certainly be following up with them but I am wondering if anone here has any experience with this probably rare combination and can see any reason why the extension would not apply in our situation.

Thanks!

TT

Re: Anyone familiar with COBRA extension via HCTC ?

Post by TT » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 am

Have you read this part of the eligibility requirement?

first
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/HCTC:-Tr ... ct-of-2011

then
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/HCTC:-TA ... Recipients

Hope this helps

Topic Author
blacklab

Re: Anyone familiar with COBRA extension via HCTC ?

Post by blacklab » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks TT. I had seen this eligibility information and it was on that basis that I thought we had a pretty clear-cut case for extension, being a PBGC payee. One concern I had was whether it was clear that the extension applies to the spouse of a PBGC payee if the latter has moved on to Medicare. So I was wondering if anyone here had a similar situation and how it was resolved. Do you see anything in these requirements that I may be overlooking? Thanks again.