Assembling Multiple State Returns

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ossipago

Assembling Multiple State Returns

Post by ossipago »

I'm going to be mailing four finished state returns tomorrow (3 part-year and 1 non-resident), and a question came up about assembly.

In particular, when do I need to include other state returns when mailing? I know every state is different, but in general, do I need to include all the other 3 state returns in every packet, or just when I take an other state tax credit? Nothing I consulted, like any of the instruction booklets, was clear on this point, so I thought someone here might have some experience in this sort of thing.
ieee488

Re: Assembling Multiple State Returns

Post by ieee488 »

In the past where I have moved from one state and thus was part-year resident in two states, I have never had to provide the other state's returns.
It states very clearly what is required.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

The times I have prepared part-year or non-resident state income tax returns, I have never included one state's return with another state's return, even if there was a resident credit being taken in one state.
Topic Author
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

When I took a CA non-resident other state credit, they asked for a copy of the other state return. Maybe they are an exception. Just wanted to ask to be safe.